Multiple Offices of Same Firm

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TTH

Multiple Offices of Same Firm

Postby TTH » Fri May 13, 2011 12:37 am

Many of the firms I'm looking at have offices 100 or so miles apart from one another, and I'd be very happy working in either office of the same firm. I have ties to both cities. It seems like it would be an awkward cover letter to write to include a sentence expressing a commitment to City A and City B.

I'm sure I'm not the only person to have done this. If anyone has any advice, I'd love to hear it.

Sup Kid

Re: Multiple Offices of Same Firm

Postby Sup Kid » Fri May 13, 2011 1:22 am

TTH wrote:Many of the firms I'm looking at have offices 100 or so miles apart from one another, and I'd be very happy working in either office of the same firm. I have ties to both cities. It seems like it would be an awkward cover letter to write to include a sentence expressing a commitment to City A and City B.

I'm sure I'm not the only person to have done this. If anyone has any advice, I'd love to hear it.

It's not awkward to say you'd be happy at 2 offices, so long as your have legitimate reasons for both. Don't say you'd be happy at any office that'd give you a job -- it's important to be specific in stating why both offices appeal to you. For example, lets say you go to NYU but grew up in Boston. If you are applying to Ropes & Gray, and would be happy in either of their offices, say something like: "I am most interested in staying in New York and working at your Manhattan office, but I am also happy to work in Boston, as I grew up there and have previous experience working in Massachusetts." Obviously adjust it to fit whatever you're trying to say and work with the wording (that example's a little repetitive as I reread it), but the point is it's definitely doable.

Return to “Legal Employment”