What are the top 5 tips you would give an incoming SA? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
thesealocust

Platinum

Re: What are the top 5 tips you would give an incoming SA?

Post by thesealocust » Mon May 30, 2011 3:57 pm

Attorney lunches are for summers to get out of the office, explore the surroundings, and dine with attorneys at the firm. Traditionally it's used for summers to get to know various practice areas, departments, and people in the firm. The actual policy is one of great gossip and drama, as every firm sets a different limit/guideline, and it's fertile ground for accusing firms of being cheap or praising them for showering summers with even more wealth than usual. It's common for it to include groups of summers and associates.

I'd hesitate to consider it "treating them to lunch" - though obviously that's more or less what it boils down to. Just think of it as a part of the program that involves you getting to ask more questions but also learn more about the people and culture of the firm in an informal setting. You shouldn't look at it as something in your control to give out to those who win your favor or something like that. It's common for associates to ask summers out to lunch as well.

Likewise, whatever the limit is, try not to develop a reputation for (a) exceeding it or (b) strategically using the absolute weekly maximum. It all boils down to treating the summer as a professional work experience, rather than treating the summer like a chance to beat the firm like a pinata spewing out dollar bills.

What the f.supp?

Bronze

Post by What the f.supp? » Mon May 30, 2011 4:15 pm

Thanks so much!

Yeah, I can't even imagine how one could spend even close to $55 for a lunch not involving alcohol (even in DC)....

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon May 30, 2011 4:21 pm

What the f.supp? wrote:Thanks so much!

Yeah, I can't even imagine how one could spend even close to $55 for a lunch not involving alcohol (even in DC)....
$10-15 appetizer, $20-30 lunch, $10 desert gets you to about 40-45, which would be at or over budget after tax & tip. Also, many of the policies include dinners - though I imagine those are more rare, as by dinner time people are pretty focused on finishing up and heading out.

$55/lunch unlimited is definitely on the generous end, though I've heard of $65 and $75 per meal limits at some NYC firms (usually a limited total number amount spent or number of meals per week, however).

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Mon May 30, 2011 4:28 pm

Even in week one of my SA, I'm stunned with how much the associates and partners eat during lunch. I always thought my firm's $75 lunch limit was just a way to attract law students, but on all three lunches I went to, the attorneys each wracked up bills near or at the limit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 30, 2011 7:36 pm

What the f.supp? wrote:Hey thanks anony.

I'm sure this has already been addressed somewhere in the annals of TLS, but I start 2L SA tomorrow and I'm often grappling with the seeming paradox of on one hand being eager to work hard/stay late but on other, not coming off as a jackass brown nose/gunner. It seems to be a really fine line.

I really like the work I'll be doing, and since I just moved some 500 miles from MA to DC (and have like one friend here) I would be totally cool with working into the evenings. I would really appreciate any practical advice based on prior experience, preferably in larger private firms (only if there is a difference between small, large, gov't jobs in this regard). Oh what the hell, even if not based on prior experience, I am all ears to logical ideas.
It depends on your firm. It's not that fine of a line for my firm, because we are assigned work and the department has way too much work and probably not enough summers to do the work. Plus, nobody actually sees us stay late. There's not that much required face time at my firm. Nobody keeps track of when you arrive or leave. The only people who know when you arrive and leave are associates you befriend who sit near your office.

I stay late at the office because we are not allowed to take e-documents home with us. Otherwise, I would work from home.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Mon May 30, 2011 10:12 pm

Yeah... it's not that hard in NYC or DC; at least not at the places other attorneys in the office will be inviting you to.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon May 30, 2011 10:16 pm

Renzo wrote:

Yeah... it's not that hard in NYC or DC; at least not at the places other attorneys in the office will be inviting you to.
To: all.attorneys@lawfirm.com
Subject: Anybody for lunch?
-----

Hey everyone! The chipotle across the street is featuring a new meat (chorizo!) this week. Any associates available for an associates lunch? I figure we can each buy 8 or 9 burritos, and then sell the extras around the corner for some spending money. Hit me up!

~TSL
Last edited by thesealocust on Mon May 30, 2011 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Mon May 30, 2011 10:19 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Renzo wrote:

-----

Hey everyone! The chipotle across the street is featuring a new meet (chorizo!) this week. Any associates available for an associates lunch? I figure we can each buy 8 or 9 burritos, and then sell the extras around the corner for some spending money. Hit me up!

~TSL
You're a coward if you don't send that, and I'll be watching ATL to verify.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon May 30, 2011 10:25 pm

Renzo wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
Renzo wrote:

-----

Hey everyone! The chipotle across the street is featuring a new meet (chorizo!) this week. Any associates available for an associates lunch? I figure we can each buy 8 or 9 burritos, and then sell the extras around the corner for some spending money. Hit me up!

~TSL
You're a coward if you don't send that, and I'll be watching ATL to verify.
We had an entire portion of our training dedicated to the axiom: Whatever else you do, do not make above the law :(

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:54 pm

Shameless thread necromancy for this summers batch of nervous incoming SAs? Lead us to the promised land ye wise holders of the sought after offers!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:15 pm

thesealocust wrote:It all boils down to treating the summer as a professional work experience, rather than treating the summer like a chance to beat the firm like a pinata spewing out dollar bills.
Great mental image.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Shameless thread necromancy for this summers batch of nervous incoming SAs? Lead us to the promised land ye wise holders of the sought after offers!
Thanks for necromancing this thread! Bring on the knowledge!

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:Shameless thread necromancy for this summers batch of nervous incoming SAs? Lead us to the promised land ye wise holders of the sought after offers!
1. Don't be weird
2. Don't be a douchebag
3. Don't make it obvious that you ultimately want to live in a city other than where you'll be working over the summer and/or that you're definitely going to follow your SO's career to wherever he/she lands a job
4. Be nice and friendly to everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, who works in your office including support staff
5. Do your very best, flawless work

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:13 pm

Great thread, (minus the drinking derail).

chickenalfredo

New

Post by chickenalfredo » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:20 pm

Tagged for later

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:36 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
3. Don't make it obvious that you ultimately want to live in a city other than where you'll be working over the summer and/or that you're definitely going to follow your SO's career to wherever he/she lands a job
how careful do you have to be about this? unacceptable to have a facebook s/o that seems pretty situated in a different city?

skw

Bronze

Post by skw » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:47 pm

Tagging -- this is helpful, thanks.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
how careful do you have to be about this? unacceptable to have a facebook s/o that seems pretty situated in a different city?
If your firm is like mine, it will do everything it can to get you to spill the beans about what your long-term plans are and where you want to live long-term.

holdencaulfield

Bronze

Post by holdencaulfield » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:20 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
If your firm is like mine, it will do everything it can to get you to spill the beans about what your long-term plans are and where you want to live long-term.
+1

llachans

Silver

Post by llachans » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:29 pm

A lot of people mentioned drinking a beer while out. What about sipping on one mixed drink? Just curious because I'm gluten free and a lot of time gluten free beer isn't available.

Weirder to be the only one drinking hard alcohol among beer drinkers or to be the only one drinking soda among beer drinkers?

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:09 am

llachans wrote:A lot of people mentioned drinking a beer while out. What about sipping on one mixed drink? Just curious because I'm gluten free and a lot of time gluten free beer isn't available.

Weirder to be the only one drinking hard alcohol among beer drinkers or to be the only one drinking soda among beer drinkers?
You must be real fun at parties.

(I posted this same comment in this same thread 11 months ago. Nothing changes.)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:23 am

llachans wrote:A lot of people mentioned drinking a beer while out. What about sipping on one mixed drink? Just curious because I'm gluten free and a lot of time gluten free beer isn't available.

I don't drink beer. Not because I have a sissy digestive system or anything, but because it's for plebes. I was fine, and you will be too.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:30 am

Last edited by 5ky on Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:05 pm

Frankly, I'd be impressed. Don't make a show of it, just order a drink, and if its mentioned, just say "thats how I roll." My opinion is its weirder to be the pop drinker than the booze drinker.

But I'd leave out the why part, unless you work with people who take their medical advice from former playboy bunny Jenny McCarthy, or unless you have been diagnosed (self-diagnosis doesn't count) with celiac disease by a non-quack doctor.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:18 pm

any advice on how to answer a question regarding why your grades dropped during 2L?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”