What are the top 5 tips you would give an incoming SA? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Repartee16

New

Re: What are the top 5 tips you would give an incoming SA?

Post by Repartee16 » Thu May 10, 2012 2:50 am

P. Summer associate engages in public display of affection with co-clerk in library

Ca-ching

wildhaggis

Bronze

Post by wildhaggis » Thu May 10, 2012 12:57 pm

Vronsky wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any sane biglaw partner/firm will understand and support that people have religious or other beliefs that may conflict with some aspect of work (vegans, Sabbath-observers, Hijab-wearers, religious holidays, recovering-alcoholics, etc).
I'm feeling a little self-concious about my SA coming up as a non-drinking, vegan, sabbath-observing, hijab-wearing (multicultural), religious holiday taking, recovering alcoholic. I'm a hippie, josh hamilton, jewish/muslim/mormon all mixed into one non-alcoholic cocktail.

Any SA book recommendations? Was planning on reading 50 shades of gray for water-cooler talk with the secretaries and paralegals.
The alcohol point has already been belabored over and over and over. Read the first 5 pages before you ask the same question that's continuously derailed this otherwise useful thread.

And unless the bolded is sarcasm or a flame, it's probably not a good idea to engage in conversations with the secretaries/paralegals revolving around explicit depictions of BDSM.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Thu May 10, 2012 3:12 pm

wildhaggis wrote:
Vronsky wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any sane biglaw partner/firm will understand and support that people have religious or other beliefs that may conflict with some aspect of work (vegans, Sabbath-observers, Hijab-wearers, religious holidays, recovering-alcoholics, etc).
I'm feeling a little self-concious about my SA coming up as a non-drinking, vegan, sabbath-observing, hijab-wearing (multicultural), religious holiday taking, recovering alcoholic. I'm a hippie, josh hamilton, jewish/muslim/mormon all mixed into one non-alcoholic cocktail.

Any SA book recommendations? Was planning on reading 50 shades of gray for water-cooler talk with the secretaries and paralegals.
The alcohol point has already been belabored over and over and over. Read the first 5 pages before you ask the same question that's continuously derailed this otherwise useful thread.

And unless the bolded is sarcasm or a flame, it's probably not a good idea to engage in conversations with the secretaries/paralegals revolving around explicit depictions of BDSM.
:roll: :? Seriously?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 12, 2012 1:28 pm

What book should I check out that will explain how to cite... I can't remember how to properly formulate citations.

lsapplicant07

New

Post by lsapplicant07 » Sat May 12, 2012 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What book should I check out that will explain how to cite... I can't remember how to properly formulate citations.
The bluebook covers it pretty well...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JDcandidate

New

Post by JDcandidate » Sun May 13, 2012 7:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What book should I check out that will explain how to cite... I can't remember how to properly formulate citations.
This guy's great. Your wit is outa control bro. Yo, you should do a USO tour or something if the whole SA thing doesn't work out. I don't know how it couldn't with that kinda humor though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 13, 2012 10:15 pm

Thoughts on first day attire for a business casual firm that, while not as casual as say, Quinn, was on the casual side of business casual during interviews (non-NYC/DC.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 13, 2012 10:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts on first day attire for a business casual firm that, while not as casual as say, Quinn, was on the casual side of business casual during interviews (non-NYC/DC.)
Wear a suit. My firm's the same way, but I explicitly asked my associate contact and he said go with the suit.

angrybird

Bronze

Post by angrybird » Sun May 13, 2012 10:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts on first day attire for a business casual firm that, while not as casual as say, Quinn, was on the casual side of business casual during interviews (non-NYC/DC.)
Wear a suit. My firm's the same way, but I explicitly asked my associate contact and he said go with the suit.
wear the suit jacket over your shoulder

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Mon May 14, 2012 9:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
It really, really doesn't matter.

Bucket

New

Post by Bucket » Mon May 14, 2012 10:21 am

Don't do stupid shit like ask for a raise?
Also, if you are URM, don't go kissing ass to URM partners.
Too obvious.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”