How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:2L here just got my third interview request for Fed Defenders of Eastern Cali.

On an unrelated note does anyone know if PDS is contacting 2Ls for call backs yet from OCI? I know a few 3Ls from my school asked for call backs, but nothing for 2Ls.

3L here--I haven't heard of any 2Ls with callbacks from PDS, though I have heard about 3Ls. What school / tier are you at? Region?

T30 Midwest

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Looks like Mecklensburg Co. has its selections up for EJW--at least for 3Ls.

3L ding from Mecklenburg.

Same.

Anyone hear from anyone else (for 3Ls) yet besides what was mentioned in this thread?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Looks like Mecklensburg Co. has its selections up for EJW--at least for 3Ls.

Rejection for me, too.

What is everyone's back-up? I want to do PD, but I have also been applying to civil legal aid offices. I don't want to clerk. I've done policy work and would like to never do that again.

Triangles

Postby Triangles » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Rejection for me, too.

What is everyone's back-up? I want to do PD, but I have also been applying to civil legal aid offices. I don't want to clerk. I've done policy work and would like to never do that again.

My backup, as much as anything is a backup these days, is legal PI and non-legal government. Maybe one of those TSA jobs letting people through the metal detectors or something, seems like good job security.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:04 pm

Story is. The fiancée of my good CCN friend is going ballistic ever since my friend said she is thinking of trading in BL SA for a position with the prosecutor’s office. She, like myself, were fortunate enough to have landed BL during our 1L summer. She seemed to like it just fine, and the money is crazy good. I am not offering advice to anyone (not good at it) but I would at least like to have an explanation for her fiancée (non-legal person) other than let my friend’s passion ensue.

Explanations welcomed.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Story is. The fiancée of my good CCN friend is going ballistic ever since my friend said she is thinking of trading in BL SA for a position with the prosecutor’s office. She, like myself, were fortunate enough to have landed BL during our 1L summer. She seemed to like it just fine, and the money is crazy good. I am not offering advice to anyone (not good at it) but I would at least like to have an explanation for her fiancée (non-legal person) other than let my friend’s passion ensue.

Explanations welcomed.

What are you asking?

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:15 pm

Borhas wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Story is. The fiancée of my good CCN friend is going ballistic ever since my friend said she is thinking of trading in BL SA for a position with the prosecutor’s office. She, like myself, were fortunate enough to have landed BL during our 1L summer. She seemed to like it just fine, and the money is crazy good. I am not offering advice to anyone (not good at it) but I would at least like to have an explanation for her fiancée (non-legal person) other than let my friend’s passion ensue.

Explanations welcomed.

What are you asking?

i think he is asking for people itt to give him reasons why people would want to be a da/pd over doing biglaw other than passion for the cause/job?

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:19 pm

Explanations welcomed.

Once the job is landed, better job security.
Pretty solid potential that her salary will be the same as her BL counterparts once they lateral out and she's climbed up the prosecutor ladder.
Potential for good exit options due to the fact that she'll actually see a courtroom.
Quality of life.
Her fiance won't get all weird jealous over her blackberry constantly be blowing up and some old dude calling her out of bed at 1am to come into "work". (not saying your buddy is tapping the boss, just that her fiance could get pretty jealous considering the time commitment of BL)
Working BL makes people fat and unhealthy, he'll be stoked that that wont happen to her.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:21 pm

Borhas wrote:

Explanations welcomed.

What are you asking?

What drives someone to go the prosecutor route over BL. IMHO: Her fiancee is focused on the $$ (no surprise, huh?).

eandy

Postby eandy » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Borhas wrote:

Explanations welcomed.

What are you asking?

What drives someone to go the prosecutor route over BL. IMHO: Her fiancee is focused on the $$ (no surprise, huh?).

The pronouns here are confusing me.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Borhas wrote:

Explanations welcomed.

What are you asking?

1.) 9-5 hours, the fact that you get to spend time outside of work building your actual life and being with your family.
2.) Ability to do interesting, substantive work and affect peoples' lives in tangible ways.
3.) The thrill of actually arguing in courtrooms right out of the gate instead of waiting years for much smaller opportunities, none of which will be trials.
Last edited by Tanicius on Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:42 pm

Great explanations, thanks. If he brings up the $$, he’s the man, let him figure out how to make up the difference . . . sometimes tough love sounds mean, doesn’t it? :)

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Borhas wrote:

Explanations welcomed.

What are you asking?

She might want to have kids

Myself

Postby Myself » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:09 pm

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:10 pm

ajax adonis wrote:
Borhas wrote:She might want to have kids

Are you saying that BL or prosecution is more kid-friendly?

Does anyone really think biglaw hours are more conducive than government jobs to raising a family?

Rocío

Postby Rocío » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:18 pm

eandy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Borhas wrote:

Explanations welcomed.

What are you asking?

The pronouns here are confusing me.

Me too, especially because "fiancée" refers to a woman. I think he might have meant "her fiancé." It's still hard to follow though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:38 pm

Accepted for screener at Brooklyn PD

===

How do I accept and schedule the interview?

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Accepted for screener at Brooklyn PD

===

How do I accept and schedule the interview?

Send an email explaining, "Tanicius happily accepts your interview invitation in my stead. Thank you very much."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:56 pm

2L t14 worked for PD last summer but not a famous one like PDS
offer with jersey state pd via oci
interviewed with Brooklyn pd las week, radio silence
have interview with NY Fed Defender
Have Alaska and Eastern Cal Fed via EJW

partyrock

Postby partyrock » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:04 pm

i'm a little confused about how 2L's are getting 'offers'. I worked at a PD office last summer, and was offered a chance to come back after my 2L year as a certified law student. But it definitely is not an offer of full employment after graduation. My understanding is that you can't get an actual offer at a government office until you pass the bar.

i'm not trying to split hairs here, its awesome that people are getting offered positions. I would just like to know if there actually are offices giving out post-grad offers to 2Ls.

Lady Heather

Postby Lady Heather » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:20 pm

partyrock wrote:i'm a little confused about how 2L's are getting 'offers'. I worked at a PD office last summer, and was offered a chance to come back after my 2L year as a certified law student. But it definitely is not an offer of full employment after graduation. My understanding is that you can't get an actual offer at a government office until you pass the bar.

i'm not trying to split hairs here, its awesome that people are getting offered positions. I would just like to know if there actually are offices giving out post-grad offers to 2Ls.

I think the 2Ls are getting 'offers' for the 2L summer, not post-grad employment. Some offices do make offers pre-bar, but usually only to 3Ls.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from anyone else (for 3Ls) yet besides what was mentioned in this thread?

EJW ding from BDS.

3L. Did PD 2L summer w/ certification. Absolutely no mention of Why Brooklyn/BDS in cover letter.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:00 pm

3L dinged from BDS also. Used to live in Brooklyn, really want to move back, sorta crushed.

Rocío

Postby Rocío » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:3L dinged from BDS also. Used to live in Brooklyn, really want to move back, sorta crushed.

There are several other PD offices in New York - Bronx Defenders, Legal Aid Society, Neighborhood Harlem Defender Services of Harlem (although they very rarely hire right out of law school), New York County Defenders, Appellate Advocates - apply to all of them. And Legal Aid Society has several offices in Brooklyn.

You could also try to arrange for a fellowship to work at one of those offices for a year.
Last edited by Rocío on Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:37 pm

damn no movement from BDS on 2Ls yet. Uggh it's my top choice!

2L 4 interviews just accepted at New Orleans

Return to “Legal Employment”