How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
purr se

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby purr se » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:59 am

Borhas wrote:Thanks for the kind words. So, who's going to EJW?

I am.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:16 pm

purr se wrote:
Borhas wrote:Thanks for the kind words. So, who's going to EJW?

I am.

Me too, I'm pretty excited!

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:19 pm

how useful is EJW for jobs? I don't know where but I remember hearing that someone literally got like one screener at it last time and that that is pretty typical. Although the conference seems really interesting, I'd also rather not spend excessive amounts of money to go if it isn't going to be all that helpful career wise.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:28 pm

never mind.

magicdonquan

Postby magicdonquan » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:14 pm

Hey all you West coast (particularly California) folk -

Would any of you be kind enough to PM me and shed some general knowledge on the hiring situation of PD offices now? I'm a 1L but would like to have some realistic idea of what it will look like in the next few years for me…

Thanks in advance, it'd be really appreciated!

robin600

Postby robin600 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:31 pm

Any recently 3Ls have success in landing a PD gig yet? If so and you don't mind sharing can you share the timeline and process? You can PM me if you want to keep things secret, I understand.

I'm going to EJW and pumped. Right now I have two interviews outside of EJW, both in cities where I have zero ties. Advice to overcome the ties issue? I'm from a small town with no statewide PD system.

For 2Ls (like me) how's the application process going? Anyone know what cities/states have the best programs that allow you to argue in court and take your own cases or at least second them? Anyone know when we should start hearing back from agencies regarding interviews?

I also have a social work internship with the Family Court in area. I am working child abuse and neglect and mostly am counseling families who are brought into the system on the process and what to expect etc... Do I mention this is an interview? It's a state agency so it may seem too prosecutorial-esque, thoughts?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:08 pm

Sorry if this is a little OT, but I didn't want to start a new thread. When it comes to nonprofit public interest organizations (not government), do any of them hire from a 2L summer program for permanent employment the way law firms do, or is this a lot less common, and you would just apply for openings in 3L if there are any?

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:26 pm

robin600 wrote:Any recently 3Ls have success in landing a PD gig yet? If so and you don't mind sharing can you share the timeline and process? You can PM me if you want to keep things secret, I understand.

I'm going to EJW and pumped. Right now I have two interviews outside of EJW, both in cities where I have zero ties. Advice to overcome the ties issue? I'm from a small town with no statewide PD system.

For 2Ls (like me) how's the application process going? Anyone know what cities/states have the best programs that allow you to argue in court and take your own cases or at least second them? Anyone know when we should start hearing back from agencies regarding interviews?

I also have a social work internship with the Family Court in area. I am working child abuse and neglect and mostly am counseling families who are brought into the system on the process and what to expect etc... Do I mention this is an interview? It's a state agency so it may seem too prosecutorial-esque, thoughts?

Um. Maybe it isn't this way everywhere, but in my state all PD/DA gigs are obtained after passing the bar. You can make some nice contacts and maybe get a pretty good guarantee, but you aren't getting an actual offer until after your results come in.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:54 pm

spleenworship wrote:
robin600 wrote:Any recently 3Ls have success in landing a PD gig yet? If so and you don't mind sharing can you share the timeline and process? You can PM me if you want to keep things secret, I understand.

Um. Maybe it isn't this way everywhere, but in my state all PD/DA gigs are obtained after passing the bar. You can make some nice contacts and maybe get a pretty good guarantee, but you aren't getting an actual offer until after your results come in.

Shoulda made it more clear sorry, I meant those who recently graduated...

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:55 pm

I'm really glad I checked EJW again, cause last time I logged in only Miami, CO, and NH were up there. Good to see so many offices hiring PD's. Hell, I'd love to work in NC at this point.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:01 am

Borhas wrote:I'm really glad I checked EJW again, cause last time I logged in only Miami, CO, and NH were up there. Good to see so many offices hiring PD's. Hell, I'd love to work in NC at this point.

How does the EJW program work?

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:15 am

Tanicius wrote:
Borhas wrote:I'm really glad I checked EJW again, cause last time I logged in only Miami, CO, and NH were up there. Good to see so many offices hiring PD's. Hell, I'd love to work in NC at this point.

Pay $25 to register w/ the career fair

register, create profile, upload resume and cover letter

apply for interviews (currently CO, NH, Miami, NYC Legal Aid, Bronx, Charlotte NC, PD offices and San Diego FPD are interviewing for entry level PD positions)

sometime mid september to october you figure our who wants to do screen interviews

you do screeners in DC (well close enough anyway) on October 26 and 27.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:51 pm

Borhas wrote:
Tanicius wrote:

Pay $25 to register w/ the career fair

register, create profile, upload resume and cover letter

apply for interviews (currently CO, NH, Miami, NYC Legal Aid, Bronx, Charlotte NC, PD offices and San Diego FPD are interviewing for entry level PD positions)

sometime mid september to october you figure our who wants to do screen interviews

you do screeners in DC (well close enough anyway) on October 26 and 27.

All right, so if I'm not a 3L, I don't worry about this?

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:32 pm

There's a lot of 2L summer gigs too, a lot more of those than full time entry level PD jobs

I'd definitely look through the employer list and check it out if I were you

2L PD jobs I saw

San Diego Federal
Alaska
New Orleans
New Hampshire
George Capital Defender
Sacramento Federal
Knox County (TN)
Bronx
Meckelenburg County (Charlotte, NC)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:41 pm

Thoughts on thank you notes after DA screener interviews (especially with a DDA you know)?

anon168

Postby anon168 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts on thank you notes after DA screener interviews (especially with a DDA you know)?

Yes, definitely.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:38 pm

anon168 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts on thank you notes after DA screener interviews (especially with a DDA you know)?

Yes, definitely.

Same dude: Snail mail or e-mail?

robin600

Postby robin600 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:23 am

In my experience, handwritten thank-yous go a long way snail mailed. They're not expecting it and it makes you look awesome for the extra effort. I've had callback requests before where interviewers have said your note was very thoughtful and thanked me back.

anon168

Postby anon168 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
anon168 wrote:

Yes, definitely.

Same dude: Snail mail or e-mail?

Either is fine. But a handwritten note certainly has its charms.

gobucks101

Postby gobucks101 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:01 pm

First trial as first chair today. Life sentence.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:11 pm

gobucks101 wrote:First trial as first chair today. Life sentence.

Was death penalty on the table?

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:38 pm

gobucks101 wrote:First trial as first chair today. Life sentence.

Good luck. Whatever happens, do your best, and be sure to remember that your best is all you can put forward in any situation, so don't beat yourself up too much if your guy has to go away.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:41 pm

Checking into this thread. With each passing day I feel more and more like this might be the job for me. Between my grades and connections I think I would have a pretty good shot, and if my next two interviews don't work out I think I might devote myself full time to gunning for the SAO.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:43 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:Checking into this thread. With each passing day I feel more and more like this might be the job for me. Between my grades and connections I think I would have a pretty good shot, and if my next two interviews don't work out I think I might devote myself full time to gunning for the SAO.

Firm interviews didn't work out for me. Got the final CB result in the mail today, actually. In all honesty I'm kind of relieved the choice has been made for me. The whole OCI process inflated my ego and got me excited about the lavish lifestyle and the money, but taking classes like evidence has really sobered me up to the fact that public defense is where I belong. It's more doable than a lot of people on here seem to think. As long as you have the relevant experience on the resume and are good at public speaking, you will get a job doing this somewhere.
Last edited by Tanicius on Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:46 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:Checking into this thread. With each passing day I feel more and more like this might be the job for me. Between my grades and connections I think I would have a pretty good shot, and if my next two interviews don't work out I think I might devote myself full time to gunning for the SAO.

I think we are the same person? I had a PD interview today.

Return to “Legal Employment”