How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
target

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby target » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:07 pm

I only have experience with norcal DA office, so also take it with a grain of salt. They all seem to care about ties, even for big cities like SF or San Jose. Eandy is also right that the level of competition has been so high that these office not only get to choose candidates with strong ties but also from really good schools.

Altanis

Postby Altanis » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:43 pm

I think some combination of the two previous posts is right -- while state prosecutors are nowhere as invested in applicants' "ties" as many firms are (or at least pretend to be), the economy has been such that they can afford to look for candidates with grades AND ties AND experience without even scratching the surface of the hundreds/thousands of apps they get for each position.

To the extent any USAOs are still hiring, ties are a lot less of an issue there. And Main Justice has never cared if you're from DC, so I can't imagine they have started now.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:58 pm

So anyone know whats up with EJW?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:46 am

akili wrote:I tried searching, but couldn't really find anything.

How important is it to have ties for DA/PD/other gov't./PI jobs?

For example, I love Colorado. Is it a waste of time to send applications that way if I've never lived or gone to school there?

I don't know much about the da side in Colorado, but I can tell you that the pd office in Colorado is pretty open to people from outside the state. For internships, you apply to the office where you want to intern, and later when (if) you apply for a post grad position, their only thing is you have to be willing to commit to going anywhere in the state (even Trinidad or sterling) for at least two years.

I know that at least one of the interns in my office last summer had absolutely no ties to the state whatsoever. She got managed to talk her way into the summer position and then later a full time position. The lesson here is be able to talk your way into the office initially. For your 2L summer. Depends on the office and the interviewer. Commitment to indigent defense and criminal defense are good. Anything you can pick up before applying for 2L summer (christmastime ish of 2L in a lot of offices) that shows this will help.

The Colorado pd office is huge on commitment to the cause. If you're thinking either way, (da or pd) I wouldn't be too forward with that when you're interviewing with them. In most offices (and I think the state office) if it looks like you might have anything prosecut-y on there I think your resume gets trashed.

While the summer program is really similar to firm hiring with the internship being the first interview, second interviews being in the fall after 2L summer, and offers going out (this year/last year?) around Christmas, they don't usually start until after bar results, and I think a lot of my class doesn't anticipate being placed until sometime into early to mid 2013.

I discussed a lot of this way earlier in this thread, but I know a lot of people don't want to read 30 some odd pages.

(there is also a statewide internship program where you get paid. You apply directly to the state office, but there aren't many spots and I think the admin uses it to send interns to places where no one wants to go. For example, one of the paid interns this summer is in pueblo. Gross.)

http://coloradodefenders.us/index.php?o ... &Itemid=63

Updates as to hiring timelines etc.

I had terrible grades and if this hadn't worked out I would be running to Mexico to start trafficking drugs.

akili

Postby akili » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
akili wrote:I tried searching, but couldn't really find anything.

How important is it to have ties for DA/PD/other gov't./PI jobs?

For example, I love Colorado. Is it a waste of time to send applications that way if I've never lived or gone to school there?

I don't know much about the da side in Colorado, but I can tell you that the pd office in Colorado is pretty open to people from outside the state. For internships, you apply to the office where you want to intern, and later when (if) you apply for a post grad position, their only thing is you have to be willing to commit to going anywhere in the state (even Trinidad or sterling) for at least two years.

I know that at least one of the interns in my office last summer had absolutely no ties to the state whatsoever. She got managed to talk her way into the summer position and then later a full time position. The lesson here is be able to talk your way into the office initially. For your 2L summer. Depends on the office and the interviewer. Commitment to indigent defense and criminal defense are good. Anything you can pick up before applying for 2L summer (christmastime ish of 2L in a lot of offices) that shows this will help.

The Colorado pd office is huge on commitment to the cause. If you're thinking either way, (da or pd) I wouldn't be too forward with that when you're interviewing with them. In most offices (and I think the state office) if it looks like you might have anything prosecut-y on there I think your resume gets trashed.

While the summer program is really similar to firm hiring with the internship being the first interview, second interviews being in the fall after 2L summer, and offers going out (this year/last year?) around Christmas, they don't usually start until after bar results, and I think a lot of my class doesn't anticipate being placed until sometime into early to mid 2013.

I discussed a lot of this way earlier in this thread, but I know a lot of people don't want to read 30 some odd pages.

(there is also a statewide internship program where you get paid. You apply directly to the state office, but there aren't many spots and I think the admin uses it to send interns to places where no one wants to go. For example, one of the paid interns this summer is in pueblo. Gross.)

http://coloradodefenders.us/index.php?o ... &Itemid=63

Updates as to hiring timelines etc.

I had terrible grades and if this hadn't worked out I would be running to Mexico to start trafficking drugs.

This was really really helpful. Thank you so much!

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:57 am

PD conference in DC seems pretty cool, anyone going?
http://www.pdsdc.org/LegalCommunity/Cal ... iningID=90

robin600

Postby robin600 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:22 pm

FlanAl wrote:PD conference in DC seems pretty cool, anyone going?

Is that negative 62 seats available? Lol.

Also sad news about no funding for the PD Corps next year and beyond :( I was gunning for that!

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:08 pm

FlanAl wrote:PD conference in DC seems pretty cool, anyone going?

Yep I'll be there

941law

Postby 941law » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:31 pm

Thoughts please....

I have classes 4 days a week and have the opportunity to intern at the PD office 1 day a week. I very well might take classes year round. I don't know if I'll ever do a normal summer associate etc, so I'm looking for a strategy play here. This PD's office is the exact office I want to work in by the way. My gut is telling me that being at the PD office every single week would be awesome, but I'm worried about doing this 'nontraditional' route.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:30 pm

941law wrote:Thoughts please....

I have classes 4 days a week and have the opportunity to intern at the PD office 1 day a week. I very well might take classes year round. I don't know if I'll ever do a normal summer associate etc, so I'm looking for a strategy play here. This PD's office is the exact office I want to work in by the way. My gut is telling me that being at the PD office every single week would be awesome, but I'm worried about doing this 'nontraditional' route.

If the office is cool with it, I say do it.

jml8756

Postby jml8756 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:06 pm

What's holding you back? You'll learn a lot, you'll have fun (if this is the kind of work you enjoy), and most importantly, you will make connections in the office you want to work for. Don't underestimate the importance of that.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:23 pm

That's pretty much the traditional route if you want to work at a PD or DA office.

edit: wait maybe I'm misunderstanding. Do you mean you have classes 4 days a week right now, i.e. during the summer, and that you will continue to have four days of classes year round, i.e. that you will only ever work at this office one day a week, including future summers? That indeed would be nontraditional and ill-advised. Work there full time during the summer, and part time during the school year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:43 pm

I'm having a dilemma which I'm sure many of you must have too - looking for some advice.

I'm a rising 3L in a second tier school in a major market (Loyola Chicago, BLS etc.) and my whole reason for coming to law school has been to be a prosecutor. I have taken all of the right clinics, have courtroom experience, done well in all of the right classes and my grades are ok, but not great (between 3.5 - 4.0 as a 2L but only around a 3.2 as a 1L). My question is, outside of the ten or so DA's offices in my geographical region, where do I apply? State clerkships? Should I even bother applying to small firms, or firms in litigation -- the problem is, my resume is exclusively crim law since prior to LS.

Any advice? Also - based on the above, do I have a realistic chance getting hired as an ADA?

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm having a dilemma which I'm sure many of you must have too - looking for some advice.

I'm a rising 3L in a second tier school in a major market (Loyola Chicago, BLS etc.) and my whole reason for coming to law school has been to be a prosecutor. I have taken all of the right clinics, have courtroom experience, done well in all of the right classes and my grades are ok, but not great (between 3.5 - 4.0 as a 2L but only around a 3.2 as a 1L). My question is, outside of the ten or so DA's offices in my geographical region, where do I apply? State clerkships? Should I even bother applying to small firms, or firms in litigation -- the problem is, my resume is exclusively crim law since prior to LS.

Any advice? Also - based on the above, do I have a realistic chance getting hired as an ADA?

Yeah man, you have a shot worth taking. Mass mail as many DA offices as you can find. If you want to do the work, then don't discriminate amonst urban/rural/suburban. Just apply. If you're not from Illinois, then apply to places in your home state too. You'll find something as long as you emphasize your experience.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:03 pm

Have an interview coming up with a big-city DA's office in a couple of weeks and I'm incredibly scared. The reason I came to law school was to become a DA, and that was the plan when I took my 1L summer job at a DA's office. Unfortunately, my 1L grades, which were good enough to put me in the running for biglaw but not good enough to make me a lock, distracted me from my goal during 2L. I did law review instead of moot court and took an internship during the year with a circuit COA judge instead of doing a crim clinic. After I didn't get a 2L SA through OCI, I frantically tried to get another DA job for the summer. The three or so big-city offices who interviewed me seemed to read me like a book. All of them asked why I didn't do moot court or a clinic, and one even asked something like "why would you intern on the X Circuit if you want to be a DA? That probably didn't help you at all." They all seemed incredibly defensive and skeptical about my desire to become a DA. I told them all of the (truthful) reasons, but none of them seemed to believe me. So I didn't end up getting any of those jobs and took one in the civil division of my state's AG's office defending erroneous conviction and prisoner civil rights suits.

So I guess my questions are: how do I explain my 2L activities in a way that looks good to DA's offices so I don't crash and burn like in my previous interviews? And is my job this summer related enough to criminal law such that they will treat it as equivalent work? Do I mention that I tried to get a DA job for this summer but failed? Thanks guys, and good luck!

target

Postby target » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have an interview coming up with a big-city DA's office in a couple of weeks and I'm incredibly scared. The reason I came to law school was to become a DA, and that was the plan when I took my 1L summer job at a DA's office. Unfortunately, my 1L grades, which were good enough to put me in the running for biglaw but not good enough to make me a lock, distracted me from my goal during 2L. I did law review instead of moot court and took an internship during the year with a circuit COA judge instead of doing a crim clinic. After I didn't get a 2L SA through OCI, I frantically tried to get another DA job for the summer. The three or so big-city offices who interviewed me seemed to read me like a book. All of them asked why I didn't do moot court or a clinic, and one even asked something like "why would you intern on the X Circuit if you want to be a DA? That probably didn't help you at all." They all seemed incredibly defensive and skeptical about my desire to become a DA. I told them all of the (truthful) reasons, but none of them seemed to believe me. So I didn't end up getting any of those jobs and took one in the civil division of my state's AG's office defending erroneous conviction and prisoner civil rights suits.

So I guess my questions are: how do I explain my 2L activities in a way that looks good to DA's offices so I don't crash and burn like in my previous interviews? And is my job this summer related enough to criminal law such that they will treat it as equivalent work? Do I mention that I tried to get a DA job for this summer but failed? Thanks guys, and good luck!

What do you plan to to next year school activity-wise? If you plan to do trial ad or clinic next year, then bring those up if asked.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:06 pm

target wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Have an interview coming up with a big-city DA's office in a couple of weeks and I'm incredibly scared. The reason I came to law school was to become a DA, and that was the plan when I took my 1L summer job at a DA's office. Unfortunately, my 1L grades, which were good enough to put me in the running for biglaw but not good enough to make me a lock, distracted me from my goal during 2L. I did law review instead of moot court and took an internship during the year with a circuit COA judge instead of doing a crim clinic. After I didn't get a 2L SA through OCI, I frantically tried to get another DA job for the summer. The three or so big-city offices who interviewed me seemed to read me like a book. All of them asked why I didn't do moot court or a clinic, and one even asked something like "why would you intern on the X Circuit if you want to be a DA? That probably didn't help you at all." They all seemed incredibly defensive and skeptical about my desire to become a DA. I told them all of the (truthful) reasons, but none of them seemed to believe me. So I didn't end up getting any of those jobs and took one in the civil division of my state's AG's office defending erroneous conviction and prisoner civil rights suits.

What do you plan to to next year school activity-wise? If you plan to do trial ad or clinic next year, then bring those up if asked.

Unfortunately, I have to load up on substantive courses that I put off taking during 2L. I am taking Trial Ad and Crim Pro, though.

anon168

Postby anon168 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:35 am

No shame in interning with a COA judge, esp. if you want to be a prosecutor. Simply explain that you wanted to get a better understanding of general evidentiary and policy issues so that when you can be a better practical lawyer.

As to your civil AG gig, tell them it's your way of getting the best possible trial-based experience that you could. Just be honest about it. And there's enough of a connection between habeas law and crim law to make a connection to prosecution. Say something like, "I want to learn the habeas process because it will show me the pitfalls that I need to avoid as a prosecutor."

target

Postby target » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:59 am

anon168 wrote:
No shame in interning with a COA judge, esp. if you want to be a prosecutor. Simply explain that you wanted to get a better understanding of general evidentiary and policy issues so that when you can be a better practical lawyer.

As to your civil AG gig, tell them it's your way of getting the best possible trial-based experience that you could. Just be honest about it. And there's enough of a connection between habeas law and crim law to make a connection to prosecution. Say something like, "I want to learn the habeas process because it will show me the pitfalls that I need to avoid as a prosecutor."

Kinda agree to this. You plan to take trial ad and crim pro next year. And if you have already taken evidence or other litigation-oriented classes, I am not sure what other course you would have to take. Sure, you could have taken federal sentencing or white collar crime, but given different size of DA/PD offices, those may not be necessary.

Also, LR is important. It's just that in DA/PD's eyes, moot court/trial ad may be as important as LR.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:13 am

anon168 wrote:

I can't think of a better explanation but you definitely whiffed twice in a row.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:10 pm

Borhas wrote:
anon168 wrote:

I can't think of a better explanation but you definitely whiffed twice in a row.

Original commenter here. I agree that the explanation about interning with the judge is kind of iffy, but I think his characterization of my work in the AG's office is probably as good as it can get. What about tying all three together: "This summer at the AG's office, I've worked extensively with cases where small mistakes ruined an otherwise good conviction. By working on Law Review and with Judge X, I've developed a strong attention to detail that will help me avoid similar mistakes"?

PS, just booked two more interviews with other big-city DAs' offices. Now three times as nervous. :(

anon168

Postby anon168 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Borhas wrote:
anon168 wrote:

Original commenter here. I agree that the explanation about interning with the judge is kind of iffy, but I think his characterization of my work in the AG's office is probably as good as it can get. What about tying all three together: "This summer at the AG's office, I've worked extensively with cases where small mistakes ruined an otherwise good conviction. By working on Law Review and with Judge X, I've developed a strong attention to detail that will help me avoid similar mistakes"?

PS, just booked two more interviews with other big-city DAs' offices. Now three times as nervous. :(

Sounds as good as any. Just remember, never hide from your past experiences. Be proud of what you've done, and highlight your accomplishments even if they are not relevant to the field or area that you ultimately want to work in. Because it is the skills (i.e., research, writing, oral argument and presentation) that will make you a good prosecutor or any kind of lawyer, not that you necessarily worked at X job or Y position.

Just remember, it's what you've done, not what you haven't done that's important. Regardless of whether it applies to the field you're applying to because in whatever job you've had, there must be something positive that you can highlight.

Good luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:03 pm

I have very intensely personal motivations for wanting to become a prosecutor--being a victim of child abuse/sexual assault and having loved ones who have gone through similar experiences. Would something like that be too inappropriate or uncomfortable to bring up in a cover letter or interview with a DA's office? I can see how talking about being a survivor might be risky, however it is a key part my personal narrative, which led me to seek out volunteer/work experience helping at-risk children and domestic violence victims after undergrad, and eventually led me to law school.

anon168

Postby anon168 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have very intensely personal motivations for wanting to become a prosecutor--being a victim of child abuse/sexual assault and having loved ones who have gone through similar experiences. Would something like that be too inappropriate or uncomfortable to bring up in a cover letter or interview with a DA's office? I can see how talking about being a survivor might be risky, however it is a key part my personal narrative, which led me to seek out volunteer/work experience helping at-risk children and domestic violence victims after undergrad, and eventually led me to law school.

I think this is ok to bring up in an interview, but not necessarily in a cover letter.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:45 am

As a sexual assault victim myself, with some experience working in prosecution, I personally choose not to bring it up for two reasons.
First, I don't want to be perceived as being unable to stay objective. As a prosecutor, you're not punishing the bad guys. You are looking for the truth. Prosecutors have a lot of experience working with victims and whether fair or not, you're going to be put in that category, which will reflect negatively on your ability to properly exercise prosecutorial discretion in all areas of your work
Second, I don't know how much experience you've had with working those cases yourself, but I do legitimately find it quite difficult. I've had some issues with anxiety, flashbacks, nightmares, etc. It's really graphic work, and when either the victim or worse, the defendant, is describing what happened it can be pretty upsetting for the average person and much more so for a victim.

Tl;dr: I see how you think it gives you a leg up but it will only make the interviewer feel awkward at best. At worst, it will be perceived as a weakness or possibly even be one. I really caution you to think extremely carefully about bringing it up.

Return to “Legal Employment”