How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
forty-two

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby forty-two » Sun May 27, 2012 10:00 am

Jeremyl wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
jml8756 wrote:
Tanicius wrote:Right. July could be a tad early, but usually from what I've heard you want to apply in August and hopefully have the offers by December.

This would be for summer before 3L. 1Ls can't apply until December 1.

You're getting mixed up. The person asking the original question is a rising 2L, talking about interviewing this summer for a job they will hopefully get their summer between 2L and 3L next year.

You're both saying the same thing.

But what about 3Ls? Anyone have an idea of the time frame for applying for an actual job/post-bar internship? Would applying June or August still be the time to start sending out apps, or is it better to wait til spring semester or even after graduation?

It all depends on the office, both for summers and post bar. A lot of offices will want early applications for everything, but a lot will also operate on later time schedules (for example, the offices in my area all start looking for summers in January, and the people I know who've gotten post bar internships/paying jobs have applied for them at the end of 3L or even after taking the bar).

I would recommend looking at the websites for every office you're interested in, and if they don't have this information online I'd call sometime this summer.

princeR

Postby princeR » Sun May 27, 2012 10:51 am

So, would it be better to work in a regional school in the area that you want to practice? I honestly don't like the three schools that I would have the option of attending in my state. One is ranked fairly high, but the other two are extremely regional and just aren't that good of schools. Would it be wiser to go to the school I want that is ranked better than all of the ones in my region?

Edit: Better way to word this, how important is a local tie to the area? Honestly, I have zero concern for where I end up (okay, don't want to be in the middle of bum fuck nowhere, but you get my point). I guess I would prefer to get back to my home state, but I will not be attending school in sad said. I guess my thinking is that going to a higher ranked school is a better idea because it would give me a better shot at just landing a job, regardless of where it is.

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Sun May 27, 2012 11:23 am

princeR wrote:So, would it be better to work in a regional school in the area that you want to practice? I honestly don't like the three schools that I would have the option of attending in my state. One is ranked fairly high, but the other two are extremely regional and just aren't that good of schools. Would it be wiser to go to the school I want that is ranked better than all of the ones in my region?

Edit: Better way to word this, how important is a local tie to the area? Honestly, I have zero concern for where I end up (okay, don't want to be in the middle of bum fuck nowhere, but you get my point). I guess I would prefer to get back to my home state, but I will not be attending school in sad said. I guess my thinking is that going to a higher ranked school is a better idea because it would give me a better shot at just landing a job, regardless of where it is.

If the higher ranked school is in the top 14 then it could give you a better chance of getting any job. More important than rankings are the school's ties to local PDs, for instance through an established clinic.

Jeremyl

Postby Jeremyl » Sun May 27, 2012 2:34 pm

Thanks, forty-two

Gettingstarted1928

Postby Gettingstarted1928 » Sun May 27, 2012 2:52 pm

seatown12 wrote:
princeR wrote:So, would it be better to work in a regional school in the area that you want to practice? I honestly don't like the three schools that I would have the option of attending in my state. One is ranked fairly high, but the other two are extremely regional and just aren't that good of schools. Would it be wiser to go to the school I want that is ranked better than all of the ones in my region?

If the higher ranked school is in the top 14 then it could give you a better chance of getting any job. More important than rankings are the school's ties to local PDs, for instance through an established clinic.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with this. Most PD/DA offices are filled with local law school grads. They are not impressed by pedigree the way firms are. If you are sure you want to work in a local PD/ADA office, go to a local school. This will also help with loans.

Of course, this does not apply to certain offices (e.g., Manhattan, San Fran, etc.).

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Mon May 28, 2012 9:37 am

I'm starting an internship tomorrow and forgot to ask what the office dress code is. I'm assuming slacks and a nice button down are proper. Anyone care to validate or disagree with that assumption?

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Mon May 28, 2012 10:25 am

Stringer Bell wrote:I'm starting an internship tomorrow and forgot to ask what the office dress code is. I'm assuming slacks and a nice button down are proper. Anyone care to validate or disagree with that assumption?

First day of work wear a suit unless told otherwise.

target

Postby target » Tue May 29, 2012 2:18 am

Borhas wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:I'm starting an internship tomorrow and forgot to ask what the office dress code is. I'm assuming slacks and a nice button down are proper. Anyone care to validate or disagree with that assumption?

credited. and unless told otherwise, leave a jacket at your desk in case you get pulled to court.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Tue May 29, 2012 2:13 pm

Borhas wrote:

Wound up doing this. Thanks for the advice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 29, 2012 9:21 pm

every single person showed up suited at mine today.

akili

Postby akili » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:15 pm

Sorry to keep asking questions and not have anything to contribute back! It seems like most people at my school are gunning for BigLaw (kind of a crappy LRAP) and CSO is focused on that as well.

My summer job for 1L summer is civil work only and while it's interesting, I really want to make sure that I make it clear I want to do Crim next summer. I'm hoping to work as an extern for the DA's office in town next fall. Does anyone have experience in getting an externship like this? Do I just call/email/mail and ask? I'm planning on loading my schedule with Crim-related classes in the fall as well. Is there anything else I can do so show my commitment?

If I don't have a set place I want to live (though general preference for TX where I grew up or WA state where I went to UG) and assuming I get offers from both areas, which would be the best?

Thanks so much for all the past advice and in advance for this info. This thread is such a great resource!

Gettingstarted1928

Postby Gettingstarted1928 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:10 pm

akili wrote:Sorry to keep asking questions and not have anything to contribute back! It seems like most people at my school are gunning for BigLaw (kind of a crappy LRAP) and CSO is focused on that as well.

My summer job for 1L summer is civil work only and while it's interesting, I really want to make sure that I make it clear I want to do Crim next summer. I'm hoping to work as an extern for the DA's office in town next fall. Does anyone have experience in getting an externship like this? Do I just call/email/mail and ask? I'm planning on loading my schedule with Crim-related classes in the fall as well. Is there anything else I can do so show my commitment?

If I don't have a set place I want to live (though general preference for TX where I grew up or WA state where I went to UG) and assuming I get offers from both areas, which would be the best?

Thanks so much for all the past advice and in advance for this info. This thread is such a great resource!

First look on the office's website to see if they have any application instructions. If they don't simply send them your resume.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:34 pm

I did an undergrad internship with a DAs victim services unit. Should this be left off the resume if I apply for PD/FPD internships? I know it probably won't make a difference in terms of a bump, although I had a lot of interaction with clients that I feel would be good to convey. It is hard to imagine how helping victims would rub a PD the wrong way (okay well showing that you have compassion for victims of your client probably won't be a good thing to an extent), but just asking to make sure.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:I did an undergrad internship with a DAs victim services unit. Should this be left off the resume if I apply for PD/FPD internships? I know it probably won't make a difference in terms of a bump, although I had a lot of interaction with clients that I feel would be good to convey. It is hard to imagine how helping victims would rub a PD the wrong way (okay well showing that you have compassion for victims of your client probably won't be a good thing to an extent), but just asking to make sure.

You could phrase it differently. Just say it's a victim's services thing. Nothing wrong with helping those in need from either "side"'s standpoint.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:55 am

Tanicius wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I did an undergrad internship with a DAs victim services unit. Should this be left off the resume if I apply for PD/FPD internships? I know it probably won't make a difference in terms of a bump, although I had a lot of interaction with clients that I feel would be good to convey. It is hard to imagine how helping victims would rub a PD the wrong way (okay well showing that you have compassion for victims of your client probably won't be a good thing to an extent), but just asking to make sure.

You could phrase it differently. Just say it's a victim's services thing. Nothing wrong with helping those in need from either "side"'s standpoint.

Not so worried about the interview, as I can find ways to spin it. Just want to be able to get to an interview stage without them seeing "X COUNTY DISTRICT ATTORNEY'S OFFICE" and immediately canning the resume. Another factor is that if I leave it off and they background check me, they may be able to discover that I did a background check at the DAs office and wonder what's going on.

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:51 pm

I didn't read the whole thread, so this may already have been answered, but is there some resource about the post-graduation game plan for somebody like me who is clearly on the prosecution track? (State office internship during 1L summer, in a fed office for 2L summer, planning on prosecutorial externship in the spring)

I'm planning on mass mailing my resume to judges to try and snag a clerkship because it sounds like from what I've heard at both offices that most of the prosecutors clerked before jumping into DA/AUSA work. I'll apply to federal and state judges, but I'm fairly confident I don't have a GPA sexy enough to snag a federal clerkship. State trial court judge clerking might actually be ideal for me for a little while. Obviously it would be super cool to get hired at a county office right out of school but given the economy I know that's not really going to happen.

I know what state I'll be taking the bar in and I'm working here this summer, so I FINALLY have a connection (job-wise) on my resume to make it look like I'm not going to bail out and go to where I grew up. I've done really well in crim-related classes and I'm taking a few more during 3L (along with fed courts...), but I'm honestly shaking in my boots a little at the idea of job hunting. The barzam doesn't scare me that badly in comparison.

ETA: I'm at a state regional LS with a solid presence on the bench statewide and in the Court of Appeals.

tl;dr, I am one scurred 3L. :lol:

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:17 am

Can anyone fill me in on the east coast PD scene? harder to crack than California?

brassmonkey7

Postby brassmonkey7 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:45 am

East Coast PD is very competitive. If you're looking to do a 2L summer internship on the East Coast, start getting your materials together around July. The hiring time table is slightly later than that of Biglaw. Keep this in mind if you're seeking feedback from your OCS because you will be needing their feedback around when your classmates need help on screeners and callbacks. If you're planning to mass mail, the application windows tend to be from around August - October. Some start in the midfall however and some start as early as July. A number of these offices also do OCIs, so you should check to see if your school is participating or if you're eligible for a fair that could get you an interview.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:34 pm

Thanks monkey.

The feel I've gotten from California so far is that basically you've got to start out in a super rural county to get trial experience and then move to somewhere less remote or do the 1 year unpaid postwar clerkship (to get a full time job down the line). Is this basically how east coast pd's work? Are any of them government entities like in California or are they mostly private non-profits?

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:18 pm

You should try to go to the Equal Justice Works conference in October, most of the major East Coast PDs will be there. They are all actually hiring, unlike the CA offices.

brassmonkey7

Postby brassmonkey7 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:02 pm

Yea, I definitely agree with Seatown. If you participate in the EJW Fair, you'll be able to hit pretty much all of the major East Coast PDs all the way from the Northeast to the Southeast. Most Northeast and Southeast PD offices tend to hire pre-bar and all the offices tend to take a new class each year though sizes do fluctuate.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:20 pm

so when I look at say Philadelphia's PD site and it says they are in a hiring freeze right now, is that because they hire mostly in the fall for the coming year? Thanks a bunch for the info, I really only researched california PD's (I'm working at one this summer) but my girlfriend is pretty set on living on the east coast after school. I'd love any other info anyone else cares to give and want to say thanks to seatown and monkey.

Gettingstarted1928

Postby Gettingstarted1928 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:39 pm

FlanAl wrote:so when I look at say Philadelphia's PD site and it says they are in a hiring freeze right now, is that because they hire mostly in the fall for the coming year? Thanks a bunch for the info, I really only researched california PD's (I'm working at one this summer) but my girlfriend is pretty set on living on the east coast after school. I'd love any other info anyone else cares to give and want to say thanks to seatown and monkey.

When someone says "hiring freeze", I've always assumed they meant that they aren't hiring period due to the economy. I could be wrong, though.

Gettingstarted1928

Postby Gettingstarted1928 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:45 pm

I'm interning at a law firm right now, and I was thinking about maybe interning at the DA's office in the fall. Does anyone know if my current internship will hurt my chances?

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:46 pm

Philly is I guess an exception; all NYC offices but Harlem, PDS in DC, CPCS in Massachusetts, and others are hiring consistently.

Return to “Legal Employment”