How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Void wrote:Working? Yes. In law? nope.


Definitely time to leave the state.

Void
Posts: 857
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:56 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Void » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Void wrote:Working? Yes. In law? nope.


Definitely time to leave the state.


Sweet. I'll just take this ultra-portable degree someplace else. Maybe sunny California?

[In response to subsequent poster: I don't want to continue to hijack this thread by discussing the Connecticut job market. If you want to talk about it, send me a PM.]
Last edited by Void on Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:37 pm

Void wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Void wrote:Working? Yes. In law? nope.


Definitely time to leave the state.


Sweet. I'll just take this ultra-portable degree someplace else. Maybe sunny California?


If there are really no jerbs in CT, why not leave CT? Fear of moar no jerbs?

User avatar
Rocky Estoppel
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:41 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Rocky Estoppel » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:48 pm

Really? Using the Anonymous feature for this? Stop.

magicdonquan
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:13 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby magicdonquan » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:44 am

Hey guys, awesome thread.

Does anyone have any anecdotes on recent hiring at PD offices in the east bay? I understand the situation is pretty bad, as it is through out the rest of the county, but are recent grads actually being hired? And is it mandatory to work for these offices without pay following graduation in order to get a paid attorney position? This type of work (PD/crim defense) is basically my sole reason for deciding to go to law school, but still not sure how one could commit to free work anywhere following graduation…

Also, if anyone is particularly familiar with the subject, and feels more comfortable PM'ing me, that'd be awesome, i'd appreciate it. Thanks!

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Tanicius » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:59 pm

magicdonquan wrote:Hey guys, awesome thread.

Does anyone have any anecdotes on recent hiring at PD offices in the east bay? I understand the situation is pretty bad, as it is through out the rest of the county, but are recent grads actually being hired? And is it mandatory to work for these offices without pay following graduation in order to get a paid attorney position? This type of work (PD/crim defense) is basically my sole reason for deciding to go to law school, but still not sure how one could commit to free work anywhere following graduation…

Also, if anyone is particularly familiar with the subject, and feels more comfortable PM'ing me, that'd be awesome, i'd appreciate it. Thanks!



I have several friends that have worked for various PD offices in the East Bay. One left for a fellowship on the other side of the country, and two have secured deputy positions with their own case load in different counties.

It is definitely extremely competitive. Those who secured actual positions at the offices were literally a handful of lucky few out of dozens of post-bar clerks.

Jeremyl
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:47 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Jeremyl » Fri May 18, 2012 11:09 am

Any news from 3Ls in the job hunt?

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby FlanAl » Fri May 18, 2012 4:02 pm

magicdonquan wrote:Hey guys, awesome thread.

Does anyone have any anecdotes on recent hiring at PD offices in the east bay? I understand the situation is pretty bad, as it is through out the rest of the county, but are recent grads actually being hired? And is it mandatory to work for these offices without pay following graduation in order to get a paid attorney position? This type of work (PD/crim defense) is basically my sole reason for deciding to go to law school, but still not sure how one could commit to free work anywhere following graduation…

Also, if anyone is particularly familiar with the subject, and feels more comfortable PM'ing me, that'd be awesome, i'd appreciate it. Thanks!


I talked to an alum who works at a bay area office and she said that you generally work unpaid in a post bar clerkship and then you maybe get a job.

But this made me curious as to how earning no money effects loan repayment, via IBR etc., anyone know?

Geist13
Posts: 739
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Geist13 » Fri May 18, 2012 8:07 pm

So, I've read a in random places around TLS that DA/PD (but honestly, I only care about answers for DA) offices care a decent amount about the grades you got in the major crim classes. Anyone have experience with this one way or the other? I have As in Crim, Crim Pro, and Evidence, so I'm praying the answer is "yes."

Anyone have any anectodes?

User avatar
Gettingstarted1928
Posts: 407
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:45 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Gettingstarted1928 » Fri May 18, 2012 8:11 pm

Geist13 wrote:So, I've read a in random places around TLS that DA/PD (but honestly, I only care about answers for DA) offices care a decent amount about the grades you got in the major crim classes. Anyone have experience with this one way or the other? I have As in Crim, Crim Pro, and Evidence, so I'm praying the answer is "yes."

Anyone have any anectodes?


It seems like it might make you look better, but I'm not sure it will really set you apart the way an internship at a DA's office will.

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Tanicius » Fri May 18, 2012 8:12 pm

Geist13 wrote:So, I've read a in random places around TLS that DA/PD (but honestly, I only care about answers for DA) offices care a decent amount about the grades you got in the major crim classes. Anyone have experience with this one way or the other? I have As in Crim, Crim Pro, and Evidence, so I'm praying the answer is "yes."

Anyone have any anectodes?


I mean it certainly won't hurt you. Make sure you demonstrate a dedication to the kind of work though. That's what they really want to see more than anything else.

Geist13
Posts: 739
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Geist13 » Fri May 18, 2012 8:29 pm

Tanicius wrote:
Geist13 wrote:So, I've read a in random places around TLS that DA/PD (but honestly, I only care about answers for DA) offices care a decent amount about the grades you got in the major crim classes. Anyone have experience with this one way or the other? I have As in Crim, Crim Pro, and Evidence, so I'm praying the answer is "yes."

Anyone have any anectodes?


I mean it certainly won't hurt you. Make sure you demonstrate a dedication to the kind of work though. That's what they really want to see more than anything else.


that won't be a problem.

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Tanicius » Fri May 18, 2012 8:52 pm

Geist13 wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
Geist13 wrote:So, I've read a in random places around TLS that DA/PD (but honestly, I only care about answers for DA) offices care a decent amount about the grades you got in the major crim classes. Anyone have experience with this one way or the other? I have As in Crim, Crim Pro, and Evidence, so I'm praying the answer is "yes."

Anyone have any anectodes?


I mean it certainly won't hurt you. Make sure you demonstrate a dedication to the kind of work though. That's what they really want to see more than anything else.


that won't be a problem.


Sounds like you'll have a good shot then. Best of luck.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 18, 2012 9:16 pm

Geist13 wrote:So, I've read a in random places around TLS that DA/PD (but honestly, I only care about answers for DA) offices care a decent amount about the grades you got in the major crim classes. Anyone have experience with this one way or the other? I have As in Crim, Crim Pro, and Evidence, so I'm praying the answer is "yes."

Anyone have any anectodes?


Working in a NYC area DAs office after graduation.

B in crim pro
B in evidence
B+ in crim

Geist13
Posts: 739
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Geist13 » Fri May 18, 2012 9:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Geist13 wrote:So, I've read a in random places around TLS that DA/PD (but honestly, I only care about answers for DA) offices care a decent amount about the grades you got in the major crim classes. Anyone have experience with this one way or the other? I have As in Crim, Crim Pro, and Evidence, so I'm praying the answer is "yes."

Anyone have any anectodes?


Working in a NYC area DAs office after graduation.

B in crim pro
B in evidence
B+ in crim


Best advice for employment as a DA outside of commitment (i.e. working in the field throughout law school) and transcript stuff?

User avatar
howell
Posts: 503
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:57 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby howell » Fri May 18, 2012 9:36 pm

Geist13 wrote:So, I've read a in random places around TLS that DA/PD (but honestly, I only care about answers for DA) offices care a decent amount about the grades you got in the major crim classes. Anyone have experience with this one way or the other? I have As in Crim, Crim Pro, and Evidence, so I'm praying the answer is "yes."

Anyone have any anectodes?


From my experience in a popular PD office in a decent size city, I would say it doesn't matter. Maybe the DA side is more prestige whorish, but if I were hiring, I certainly would not give it much weight. I got the highest grade in my class in both semesters of Crim Pro and I didn't know the first thing about what happened to defendants when I finally interned in a PD office. Our PD office seemed much more concerned about whether you could do the job - handle clients, perform in court, keep up with the case load, etc. The people from the DA office seemed to have a similar interest.

User avatar
Ded Precedent
Posts: 767
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Ded Precedent » Sat May 26, 2012 12:08 am

Does anybody know of any states that have some sort of rural placement system? I remember someone once telling me that there are states that have a system where you work in a rural area for some specified amount of time and then the state transfers you to a major city. Does this exist or am I crazy? If so, where can I find out what states do this?

tyty

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby akili » Sat May 26, 2012 11:51 am

When is it appropriate to start contacting DA offices for next summer employment? I don't want to jump the gun, but I know almost exactly where I want to work and want to get started on making that happen.

Also, is there a resource somewhere that shows which DA/PD office hire right out of law school?

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Tanicius » Sat May 26, 2012 12:45 pm

akili wrote:When is it appropriate to start contacting DA offices for next summer employment? I don't want to jump the gun, but I know almost exactly where I want to work and want to get started on making that happen.

Also, is there a resource somewhere that shows which DA/PD office hire right out of law school?



I would wait for your grades to come in and then start contacting them around mid July, sometime after the 4th week. You don't want to apply so early that your application email or letter gets lost in a pile of other stuff. Then, when you do apply, be upfront about the fact that their office is your first choice of employment.

hijodehombre
Posts: 251
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:29 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby hijodehombre » Sat May 26, 2012 8:34 pm

Tanicius wrote:
akili wrote:When is it appropriate to start contacting DA offices for next summer employment? I don't want to jump the gun, but I know almost exactly where I want to work and want to get started on making that happen.

Also, is there a resource somewhere that shows which DA/PD office hire right out of law school?



I would wait for your grades to come in and then start contacting them around mid July, sometime after the 4th week. You don't want to apply so early that your application email or letter gets lost in a pile of other stuff. Then, when you do apply, be upfront about the fact that their office is your first choice of employment.


This is for summer before 2L?

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Tanicius » Sat May 26, 2012 9:18 pm

hijodehombre wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
akili wrote:When is it appropriate to start contacting DA offices for next summer employment? I don't want to jump the gun, but I know almost exactly where I want to work and want to get started on making that happen.

Also, is there a resource somewhere that shows which DA/PD office hire right out of law school?



I would wait for your grades to come in and then start contacting them around mid July, sometime after the 4th week. You don't want to apply so early that your application email or letter gets lost in a pile of other stuff. Then, when you do apply, be upfront about the fact that their office is your first choice of employment.


This is for summer before 2L?


Right. July could be a tad early, but usually from what I've heard you want to apply in August and hopefully have the offers by December.

jml8756
Posts: 139
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:58 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby jml8756 » Sat May 26, 2012 11:20 pm

Tanicius wrote:
hijodehombre wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
akili wrote:When is it appropriate to start contacting DA offices for next summer employment? I don't want to jump the gun, but I know almost exactly where I want to work and want to get started on making that happen.

Also, is there a resource somewhere that shows which DA/PD office hire right out of law school?



I would wait for your grades to come in and then start contacting them around mid July, sometime after the 4th week. You don't want to apply so early that your application email or letter gets lost in a pile of other stuff. Then, when you do apply, be upfront about the fact that their office is your first choice of employment.


This is for summer before 2L?


Right. July could be a tad early, but usually from what I've heard you want to apply in August and hopefully have the offers by December.


This would be for summer before 3L. 1Ls can't apply until December 1.

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Tanicius » Sun May 27, 2012 12:23 am

jml8756 wrote:
Tanicius wrote:Right. July could be a tad early, but usually from what I've heard you want to apply in August and hopefully have the offers by December.


This would be for summer before 3L. 1Ls can't apply until December 1.


You're getting mixed up. The person asking the original question is a rising 2L, talking about interviewing this summer for a job they will hopefully get their summer between 2L and 3L next year.

hijodehombre
Posts: 251
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:29 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby hijodehombre » Sun May 27, 2012 12:39 am

Tanicius wrote:
jml8756 wrote:
Tanicius wrote:Right. July could be a tad early, but usually from what I've heard you want to apply in August and hopefully have the offers by December.


This would be for summer before 3L. 1Ls can't apply until December 1.


You're getting mixed up. The person asking the original question is a rising 2L, talking about interviewing this summer for a job they will hopefully get their summer between 2L and 3L next year.


Exactly. Thanks for clarifying, Tanicius, and for the info.

Jeremyl
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:47 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Jeremyl » Sun May 27, 2012 9:42 am

Tanicius wrote:
jml8756 wrote:
Tanicius wrote:Right. July could be a tad early, but usually from what I've heard you want to apply in August and hopefully have the offers by December.


This would be for summer before 3L. 1Ls can't apply until December 1.


You're getting mixed up. The person asking the original question is a rising 2L, talking about interviewing this summer for a job they will hopefully get their summer between 2L and 3L next year.


You're both saying the same thing.

But what about 3Ls? Anyone have an idea of the time frame for applying for an actual job/post-bar internship? Would applying June or August still be the time to start sending out apps, or is it better to wait til spring semester or even after graduation?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.