In the PD office that I interned in this summer 75% of the people ended up getting offers from the system. The other 25% we kind of knew weren't going to get offers because of their performance and conflicts they had with the attys in the office.
The state in which I will work has a statewide system, and I had to agree that I'm willing to go anywhere in the state. From what I understand, hiring in this system is a lot more like firm hiring (I haven't really gone through any kind of firm app process) than it sounds like it is in other areas. It being a statewide system, it's a lot bigger than a lot of other offices, so they have a better understanding of historical hiring trends and can make predictions with a much broader sample size, and they hire for the entire state.
As I understand it, all of the people that were hired came from the intern pool. This would mean that about half of the people that started the summer got jobs, with not everyone applying for a job or being cut out for the job. I still had to interview, but it was a really (almost ridiculously) informal interview, the thought being that the summer was my subtantive interview. I technically had to 'apply' but it was much more informal.
I had an offer before Christmas, and I believe that the rest of the people hat got offers did too.
I have pretty extensive experience in indigent defense. I spent 1L summer 'interning' with a local ADC attorney. I don't know that I learned a whole lot except that court isn't scary and it's about who you know. This got me connected with the local PD office, and I interned there fall semester of 2L. From there I got a position for 2L summer as a certified intern. I spent basically the entire summer in court, and had a caseload and clients. I didn't manage to get to trial during the summer because everything kept pleading ot or getting dismissed. I continued interning during 3L, and I'm actually still there, and have since gotten into a jury trial and a bench trial. I moved to a different division, and have been doing some different stuff, but I'm still in court pretty much every day.
So basically, by the time I graduate, I'll have worked in the same office for essentially a year and a half, with a whole additional summer of related experience. My grades are terrible, locally well respected T2, no journal, no real moot court. Just lots and lots of real world real life experience. If you know what you want to do, bust your ass and tailor your resume to the job that you want. I'm one of very few people that I know of at my school that have jobs at this point.