How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BlueLotus

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby BlueLotus » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:25 am

I have never lived or worked in VT or ME but have outdoorsy/nature activities on my resume. Is that convincing?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:54 am

BlueLotus wrote:I have never lived or worked in VT or ME but have outdoorsy/nature activities on my resume. Is that convincing?

Instead of muddling your resume with irrelevant lines, why not just say in your cover letter that you are interested in something about that office's practice? Their training program, the opportunities to get felony work early, etc. I'm just spitballing, but knowing something about the office seems a lot more genuine than saying you enjoy hiking. Then if asked emphasize that you just want to do this work in the right office and you have no problem moving to a place you haven't lived before. I mentioned the fact that I grew up in MA, went to college in CA, and law school in DC as a way to say I have no problem with moving around. I guess in my opinion (which is just my opinion) I think they can see through bullshit and its better to be honest.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:57 am

I have used the "willing to move to get the experience I want" successfully in the past, too, with places where I had no ties (and got asked about the lack of ties). But I also can point to lots of stuff on my resume that backs this up. Still, I think if you can explain why that job, which just happens to be located [wherever], you can satisfy most concerns about ties.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:I have never lived or worked in VT or ME but have outdoorsy/nature activities on my resume. Is that convincing?

Instead of muddling your resume with irrelevant lines, why not just say in your cover letter that you are interested in something about that office's practice? Their training program, the opportunities to get felony work early, etc. I'm just spitballing, but knowing something about the office seems a lot more genuine than saying you enjoy hiking. Then if asked emphasize that you just want to do this work in the right office and you have no problem moving to a place you haven't lived before. I mentioned the fact that I grew up in MA, went to college in CA, and law school in DC as a way to say I have no problem with moving around. I guess in my opinion (which is just my opinion) I think they can see through bullshit and its better to be honest.

Agreed. I would not spend space on RA experience or outdoor hobbies, BlueLotus. You could maybe have one line about enjoying camping and mountain biking on the last line of your resume, but you're not going to have luck emphasizing that stuff in a cover letter.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

But I thought that the TLS conventional wisdom was to have an Interests section? :?:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:04 pm

BlueLotus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

But I thought that the TLS conventional wisdom was to have an Interests section? :?:

Maybe that's true for TLS, I don't know. I was taught your resume should be extremely relevant and that you want it to scream PD clear as day without distractions. The only time I was asked about other interests was by a judge for a clerkship. I got a few offers and am going to my top choice office so it worked for me. There is a lot of advice out there, do what feels right to you. But I'm not sure that it sounds totally believable to say you want to move somewhere because of an interest in outdoor activities. Just my opinion, I encourage you to talk to resources available at your school.

rpcb

Postby rpcb » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:11 am

Does anybody know anything about Hennepin County Public Defenders' Office? Its the one PD office I haven't really found out anything about. Anybody know if they got a good reputation for training new attorneys and interns?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:07 am

rpcb wrote:Does anybody know anything about Hennepin County Public Defenders' Office? Its the one PD office I haven't really found out anything about. Anybody know if they got a good reputation for training new attorneys and interns?

PM'ed. The short answer is the training so far has been incredible.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:29 am

FWIW I had an interests section on my resume when I was applying for PD jobs, and my co-workers now half-joke that I only got hired because I said I liked pub trivia and the manager of our office knew that the young staff attorneys played trivia every week.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:59 am

Are ties to NYC important for BDS, LAS, and Bronx Defenders?

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:28 pm

BlueLotus wrote:Are ties to NYC important for BDS, LAS, and Bronx Defenders?

Not very, I wouldn't say. However, if the hiring people get the sense that you're not cut out for the big city, they will probably shy away. On the whole, a lot of New Yorkers assume that it's natural to want to live in NYC. How do you get across that you're not intimidated by the big city? Not sure TBH. This may have been a reason I was not given a callback at Legal Aid, or it may not have been one of the reasons.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:38 pm

Tanicius wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:Are ties to NYC important for BDS, LAS, and Bronx Defenders?

Not very, I wouldn't say. However, if the hiring people get the sense that you're not cut out for the big city, they will probably shy away. On the whole, a lot of New Yorkers assume that it's natural to want to live in NYC. How do you get across that you're not intimidated by the big city? Not sure TBH. This may have been a reason I was not given a callback at Legal Aid, or it may not have been one of the reasons.

Have lived in the outskirts of Philly, Atlanta, and Boston, so I suppose I should not have a hard time convincing them!

The Dark Shepard

Postby The Dark Shepard » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rpcb wrote:Does anybody know anything about Hennepin County Public Defenders' Office? Its the one PD office I haven't really found out anything about. Anybody know if they got a good reputation for training new attorneys and interns?

PM'ed. The short answer is the training so far has been incredible.

could you PM me as well? Office I'd be most interested in working at, and I'd like to know what I should do throughout my 3 years to ensure my best opportunity at it.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:50 am

If anyone has experience working at/interviewing with BDS, LAS, or Bronx Defenders, please PM me!

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:25 pm

Is $32,500 a good salary for a FTLT JD-required jerb in rural NM/AZ?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:21 pm

I wouldn't say it's a good salary anywhere, but I'd say it's typical/what you'd get for those areas. Rural southwest is pretty darn poor/cheap.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:42 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I wouldn't say it's a good salary anywhere, but I'd say it's typical/what you'd get for those areas. Rural southwest is pretty darn poor/cheap.

That's what I figured. The jerb itself is on a Native American reservation.

rpcb

Postby rpcb » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Does anybody have any experience interning or working at the Defender Association of Philadelphia? I haven't head too much about it but what I have heard has been largely positive.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:04 pm

rpcb wrote:Does anybody have any experience interning or working at the Defender Association of Philadelphia? I haven't head too much about it but what I have heard has been largely positive.

Have a good answer for "why Philly". Also, it has a rep on here for being a "true believer" office.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:09 pm

Anyone have any helpful insight for 2L summer PDS interviewing? Might randomly have an interview tomorrow and I am kinda freaking out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have any helpful insight for 2L summer PDS interviewing? Might randomly have an interview tomorrow and I am kinda freaking out.

I had an interview with them a month ago. If you let your passion for criminal defense, you should be fine! Good luck!!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have any helpful insight for 2L summer PDS interviewing? Might randomly have an interview tomorrow and I am kinda freaking out.

I had an interview with them a month ago. If you let your passion for criminal defense, you should be fine! Good luck!!

What types of questions did they ask you?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What types of questions did they ask you?

I am a 3L, but they asked why I want to be a PD, how I became interested in PD work in the first place, and how I handle challenges and why I want to work for PDS specifically. The questions were pretty standard. And the NYU PD Guide has a list of typical questions asked during the screening interview. I think the NYU PD Guide is probably helpful in this context too.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:30 pm

Do Bronx Defenders Family Defense Practice, LAS Juvenile Rights Practice and BDS Immigration Practice do hypos? What are the interviews like in general?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:24 pm

rpcb wrote:Does anybody have any experience interning or working at the Defender Association of Philadelphia? I haven't head too much about it but what I have heard has been largely positive.

Not sure if you are asking for internship or job reasons, but you must must must have a great answer for why you are okay with horizontal representation.

Its a fun city and a very big office. They don't have too much attrition which is a good sign.

Return to “Legal Employment”