How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:31 am

Displeased wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm a prosecutor (not in any of the jurisdictions already mentioned), and holy crap, I'm so glad I'm not in any of those places. I mean, if I can't convict unless I hide all kind of shit from the defense, I don't want that conviction. (I know defense counsel where I am complain about discovery, too - for instance, the defense doesn't get depositions as a right - but we hand over tons of stuff and take it really seriously.) I think one of the biggest sources of conflict is info about confidential informants, especially where you're running big investigations.

I don't know if the Commonwealth "needs" to hide stuff to convict, they just do. Even when my client confesses (which is about 50% of the time), I still don't get anything in discovery other than the confession itself. So, when I'm used to not getting anything, it makes it easier when they do have something to hide. If I typically got 50 pages of discovery for everything, and then on a random rape case I only get 2 pages, I'll know somethings up. When I get the same 2 page discovery response to everything from an embezzlement to a rape, I don't know when the Commonwealth is actually hiding something and when they are just following standard procedure.

I understand the Commonwealth's concern about confidential informants, I really do. But it tends to turn the case into a farce here. Client can't see the video or know the name of the CI before trial, or else no deals. If the client/attorney refuses to waive the admissibility of the lab report (aka forcing the lab tech to testify that it is cocaine/marijuana whatever), the Commonwealth demands a jury (meaning the client is subject to five years mandatory minimum per drug transaction). Its basically a star chamber. Plead before you know the evidence against you, or else you'll find out what the evidence is at the same time as the jury finds out.

Miami prosecutor again. Sorry for the thread derail folks. But with respect to CI's why don't you guys just file Rovario motions for disclosure? I know it's not applicable in every case, but I'm up to like 20 cases I've had to dismiss because the cops didn't want to disclose who the CI was. And just lol about the demanding a jury trial for anything short of trafficking. There's a right to jury trials on pretty much every case down here and the PD's never ever waive them. So again folks, know the jurisdiction you're applying to.

Displeased

Postby Displeased » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Miami prosecutor again. Sorry for the thread derail folks. But with respect to CI's why don't you guys just file Rovario motions for disclosure? I know it's not applicable in every case, but I'm up to like 20 cases I've had to dismiss because the cops didn't want to disclose who the CI was. And just lol about the demanding a jury trial for anything short of trafficking. There's a right to jury trials on pretty much every case down here and the PD's never ever waive them. So again folks, know the jurisdiction you're applying to.

Oh, we can get the CI disclosed. But if we do, all plea offers are retracted. I haven't had the Commonwealth blink on that, their CIs are just low level drug users so I think the Commonwealth believes they are expendable.

And I've mentioned this before, but the reason you don't want a jury trial in Virginia is that juries sentence, juries don't see guidelines, and juries can't suspend time.

Let me put it this way. Cocaine distribution in VA carries 5 to 40 years. A person found guilty of cocaine distribution in Virginia, with no other criminal record, will have a guidelines recommendation of roughly a year, and a judge will give him about a year, suspending the 4 other required years. A person found guilty of cocaine distribution after a jury trial MUST get at least 5 years of active time, and since juries don't understand the system, they think that the "average" cocaine case deserves 20 years. After all, if you can get up to 40 years, giving him "only" 20 seems like a break. Even a jury that gives a defendant the lightest possible sentence still must give several years more than a judge would. But generally speaking, a jury will never sentence as leniently as a judge.

So, that's why, even on winnable cases, people go with bench trials in VA.

coldshoulder

Postby coldshoulder » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:11 pm

Selfless plug: 3L here looking for DA or AG offices to apply to, anybody have leads?

aladdinismyprince

Postby aladdinismyprince » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:do any of you have advice for the 2L job hunt (for PD)? what type of cases is best to work on - I'm targeting a jurisdiction that splits misdemeanors/felonies/homicides into separate branches so those are the only types of cases you get. how much responsibility should you expect to have? also how is the timeline/process different than how it is for everyone else at law school seeking a normal firm job?

I have two suggestions:
1) If you want to be a trial PD, go to an office that will give you in-court experience. These are usually smaller, underfunded offices. They may be less prestigious, but you get actual trial experience. Many offices (esp. offices in CA) will not hire 3Ls as staff attorneys without trial experience. You'll have to do research into which offices these are, but I've heard you get to handle misdemeanors at the Alaska PD.
2) Go to an office where you will have more than one supervisor. I work at a PD office where every summer intern is assigned to one attorney. A substantial portion of my class is miserable because they dislike their attorneys. If you have multiple supervisors, you don't have to deal with a terrible boss all the time and can spread your work across people. Plus, it will take you longer to get annoyed with your supervisor because you don't have to deal with them as much.

Good luck!

cooperlaserpup

Postby cooperlaserpup » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:54 pm

aladdinismyprince wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:do any of you have advice for the 2L job hunt (for PD)? what type of cases is best to work on - I'm targeting a jurisdiction that splits misdemeanors/felonies/homicides into separate branches so those are the only types of cases you get. how much responsibility should you expect to have? also how is the timeline/process different than how it is for everyone else at law school seeking a normal firm job?

I have two suggestions:
1) If you want to be a trial PD, go to an office that will give you in-court experience. These are usually smaller, underfunded offices. They may be less prestigious, but you get actual trial experience. Many offices (esp. offices in CA) will not hire 3Ls as staff attorneys without trial experience. You'll have to do research into which offices these are, but I've heard you get to handle misdemeanors at the Alaska PD.
2) Go to an office where you will have more than one supervisor. I work at a PD office where every summer intern is assigned to one attorney. A substantial portion of my class is miserable because they dislike their attorneys. If you have multiple supervisors, you don't have to deal with a terrible boss all the time and can spread your work across people. Plus, it will take you longer to get annoyed with your supervisor because you don't have to deal with them as much.

Good luck!

Agree about seeking student practice. I went to PDS parole division for my 2L summer, had my own caseload of revocation hearings. No rules of evidence but nothing compares to the experience of having your own clients and interviewers love it.

Timeline is way different. You will start applying to jobs fall of your 3L year. Go to job fairs like EJW. Throw out a bazillion apps. Get clinical practice to the extent possible.

FWIW I interned for a PD office in VA, externed for a PD office in MD, did the summer of parole revocations, and a 3L year long clinic with a misdemeanor caseload (under supervision.) I applied to maybe 13 offices. I had at least one interview in probably all but 3. I did subsequent rounds in about 7. I did final rounds in I think 4. I got three offers. One of them I really wanted and I took, but I had to turn down the other two and take the gamble. I got that offer in July....I interviewed with them first in October. Its just that kind of time line unfortunately :(

Everyone in my clinic got a PD job except three people doing judicial clerkships on a criminal trial calendar. We all did pretty much the same thing. We have folks going to florida, ca, ny, oregon, mass, and alaska.

Feel free to message with specific questions. I know a ton about the process for a lot of offices. Its a long and frustrating process but you will get through it!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:40 am

Hey so I am a rising 2L and I wanted a bit of advice for best preparing myself for getting a job post graduation.

Currently at a PD office in CA but going to school out of the area. I am from CA and would ideally like to return but would be ok with being in other places. However I have already interned in a small tiny office (not where I am at right now) and I didn't enjoy it. I ideally would be in a big office in a higher crime area.

I am trying to decide where it is best for me to intern next summer. The office I am at now I would be ecstatic to be at but I would really like anything in California that isn't super tiny. I feel like it should be pretty easy for me to get into any office out there. However I am also really interested in the holistic approach and would love to work at BDS to gain insight and possibly use those skills at an office that is trying to implement similar programs (there are a few in CA). Obviously it won't be easy getting BDS but I think I am competitive. Would it be worth doing BDS if CA is my ideal place (I am open to any mid-big size city)?

Another option I have considered is applying for a fellowship and I have a host org that has had fellows and I would be a great fit for/alumni connection. Should I consider just going there next summer?

Thanks for any advice!

Also side note I was actually surprised how much the attorneys makes in my office (not to start but it goes up quickly). Is that common or what are attorneys usually making at other places after 5-8 years?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hey so I am a rising 2L and I wanted a bit of advice for best preparing myself for getting a job post graduation.

Currently at a PD office in CA but going to school out of the area. I am from CA and would ideally like to return but would be ok with being in other places. However I have already interned in a small tiny office (not where I am at right now) and I didn't enjoy it. I ideally would be in a big office in a higher crime area.

I am trying to decide where it is best for me to intern next summer. The office I am at now I would be ecstatic to be at but I would really like anything in California that isn't super tiny. I feel like it should be pretty easy for me to get into any office out there. However I am also really interested in the holistic approach and would love to work at BDS to gain insight and possibly use those skills at an office that is trying to implement similar programs (there are a few in CA). Obviously it won't be easy getting BDS but I think I am competitive. Would it be worth doing BDS if CA is my ideal place (I am open to any mid-big size city)?

Another option I have considered is applying for a fellowship and I have a host org that has had fellows and I would be a great fit for/alumni connection. Should I consider just going there next summer?

Thanks for any advice!

Also side note I was actually surprised how much the attorneys makes in my office (not to start but it goes up quickly). Is that common or what are attorneys usually making at other places after 5-8 years?

Can I ask why you prefer BDS over Bronx? Don't get me wrong I'm a huge fan of BDS but Bronx has the reputation for being crazy holistic, so I'm just curious why you prefer BDS in NY if you're looking for a holistic office.

If you're at BDS for a summer you will get to do arraignments which is pretty cool. Bronx may let you do that too, I'm not sure.

Unless there is a specific office in CA that you really want to work that you know gives hiring preference to its former interns, I think you should go where you will get the best experience, which in my opinion means client contact, student practice, and going beyond the research and writing for a supervisor. I'm positive you would have a great experience at BDS, Bronx, or any number of offices in California. Its worth throwing out a lot of applications and seeing what comes back. Keep in mind that if you can work in a CA office during the school year it may be worth experiencing a different jurisdiction during the summer to maximize the diversity of your experiences. That's just my opinion.

As for the salary, certain CA offices notoriously pay high, but in many areas its offset by cost of living. I'll be starting as an attorney in an office in NY. I start in the mid 50s. there's a bump after I pass the bar and another bump after a few years. Stick with it for close to five years and I can expect to be in the 75-90 range.

Edit: I misread your initial post that you are not normally in CA, so ignore the part about a school-time externship. The rest applies!

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey so I am a rising 2L and I wanted a bit of advice for best preparing myself for getting a job post graduation.

Thanks for any advice!

Can I ask why you prefer BDS over Bronx? Don't get me wrong I'm a huge fan of BDS but Bronx has the reputation for being crazy holistic, so I'm just curious why you prefer BDS in NY if you're looking for a holistic office.

If you're at BDS for a summer you will get to do arraignments which is pretty cool. Bronx may let you do that too, I'm not sure.

Unless there is a specific office in CA that you really want to work that you know gives hiring preference to its former interns, I think you should go where you will get the best experience, which in my opinion means client contact, student practice, and going beyond the research and writing for a supervisor. I'm positive you would have a great experience at BDS, Bronx, or any number of offices in California. Its worth throwing out a lot of applications and seeing what comes back. Keep in mind that if you can work in a CA office during the school year it may be worth experiencing a different jurisdiction during the summer to maximize the diversity of your experiences. That's just my opinion.

As for the salary, certain CA offices notoriously pay high, but in many areas its offset by cost of living. I'll be starting as an attorney in an office in NY. I start in the mid 50s. there's a bump after I pass the bar and another bump after a few years. Stick with it for close to five years and I can expect to be in the 75-90 range.

The CA office salaries outpace the cost of living. The NYC offices pay barely enough to live within an hour and a half of the job.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:14 am

Tanicius wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks for any advice!

The CA office salaries outpace the cost of living. The NYC offices pay barely enough to live within an hour and a half of the job.

So far I've been able to easily cover my expenses and live about ten minutes from work in NY. That being said I have a 2br with a roommate and am not supporting a family or anything like that. And as I mentioned, the bump is significant after you start. The CA pay varies hugely depending on office/county but I completely agree that there are several offices in CA that pay very well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:53 pm

Same 2L anon from above. The reason I am more into BDS is that they have specifically worked with some of the counties that I am interested in working for in CA. Also the relative pay/cost of living in CA is exactly what it seems. For the first year or two yes but most (at least this one) counties catch up and surpass places like SF and have a very significant cost in living.

I heard somewhere that Alameda and Santa Clara counties pay their summer interns. Does anyone have any information on this?

Actually maybe it'll be helpful for 2Ls to know about any places that pay summers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Same 2L anon from above. The reason I am more into BDS is that they have specifically worked with some of the counties that I am interested in working for in CA. Also the relative pay/cost of living in CA is exactly what it seems. For the first year or two yes but most (at least this one) counties catch up and surpass places like SF and have a very significant cost in living.

I heard somewhere that Alameda and Santa Clara counties pay their summer interns. Does anyone have any information on this?

Actually maybe it'll be helpful for 2Ls to know about any places that pay summers.

I didn't know that about BDS, that's really cool.

I don't know much about offices in CA that pay. Usually that info is available online. Alameda hired a post-bar fellow from my law school this year who had interned with them his 2L summer, so I do think there's a benefit for hiring if you intern. They also took back a Prettyman fellow I know who had worked there before the fellowship (but his dad is a 9th cir judge and his uncle is a supreme court justice so in addition to being very talented there's no way anyone was going to turn him down.)

PDS does not guarantee its summer interns money but every year up until the year I was there they were paid over $12/hr. My year was immediately post sequester :(

Sorry I can't be more helpful, my law school notoriously ignores the west coast.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Same 2L anon from above. The reason I am more into BDS is that they have specifically worked with some of the counties that I am interested in working for in CA. Also the relative pay/cost of living in CA is exactly what it seems. For the first year or two yes but most (at least this one) counties catch up and surpass places like SF and have a very significant cost in living.

I don't know much about offices in CA that pay. Usually that info is available online. Alameda hired a post-bar fellow from my law school this year who had interned with them his 2L summer, so I do think there's a benefit for hiring if you intern. They also took back a Prettyman fellow I know who had worked there before the fellowship (but his dad is a 9th cir judge and his uncle is a supreme court justice so in addition to being very talented there's no way anyone was going to turn him down.)

PDS does not guarantee its summer interns money but every year up until the year I was there they were paid over $12/hr. My year was immediately post sequester :(

Sorry I can't be more helpful, my law school notoriously ignores the west coast.

Sorry I meant Bronx the whole time. I'm not very good with all of the acronyms. Here is what I was talking about in case anyone else was interested at what offices they have worked with. http://www.bronxdefenders.org/the-cente ... -awardees/
Maybe it was in another article I read but somewhere there was a list of the previous grant awardees.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Sorry I meant Bronx the whole time. I'm not very good with all of the acronyms. Here is what I was talking about in case anyone else was interested at what offices they have worked with. http://www.bronxdefenders.org/the-cente ... -awardees/
Maybe it was in another article I read but somewhere there was a list of the previous grant awardees.

Haha yeah, I think you'd want to get the two straight before interviewing at either...people make the mistake a lot and they don't like it :)

aladdinismyprince

Postby aladdinismyprince » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:23 pm

Does anyone know of federal defender offices that hire straight out of (federal) clerkships? I've heard San Diego is one, and I'm looking for others. Thanks!

samcro_op

Postby samcro_op » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:44 pm

Not sure if people saw the new Public Defender Handbook

http://www.psjd.org/uploads/2014PublicD ... ERSION.pdf

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:19 pm

thanks so much for the heads up on the new public defender's handbook! good luck on anyone trying to get a pd job post grad!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:32 pm

I have a tough time figuring out the 2L job hunt, but here are some thoughts.

A) don't go to the same place you went to for 1L summer. you don't want to put all of your eggs in one basket. I knew a few kids that worked at one of the NY offices for both summers and it seemed like they had a hard time explaining why they'd want to jump ship in interviews. PD offices show a little loyalty, but not enough for you to take such a big risk.

B) its also tough to make the decision between the "prestigious" office that doesn't let you do that much and the non-prestigious office that puts you in court often. I had to choose between an office that was 45 minutes away that would give me a misdo case load and a fancy NYC office that was 20 minutes away and wasn't going to let me do that much. I took the "prestigious" office and it seemed to be pretty helpful during interviews for full time work.

I put "prestigious" in quotes because I think it is really silly for the majority of PD offices to say that one is better than the other. The holistic offices seem to get a bunch of extra respect on these boards and in law schools, they have great marketing but I don't think that they are inherently better than like Mecklenberg or something. But like I said above, if you have the chance to work at Bronx or another similar office I think its good as far as getting you a job in the future, I just don't feel like that should be the case.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:37 pm

aladdinismyprince wrote:Does anyone know of federal defender offices that hire straight out of (federal) clerkships? I've heard San Diego is one, and I'm looking for others. Thanks!

I know a person going to sdny's fed defenders after clerking. i think the trajectory was big law then appellate clerkship then to the fed pd's office. even though its a pd the fed offices in ny seem to take A LOT of big law people.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:54 pm

I'm reluctant to post this because I don't want there to be a massive run on california PD offices but here is Kern County's pay schedule via a google search http://california.jobing.com/deputy-pub ... t/32984500

Kern seems to be the easiest to find and I think it provides a pretty good illustration of why California is the place to be a pd. Kern is inexpensive and they pay you a lawyer's salary there. This seems to be what a lot of california counties do.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:58 pm

New Hampshire Public Defender allows you to go straight from law school to class A felonies including first degree murder. Not bad if you want trial experience right out of school.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:New Hampshire Public Defender allows you to go straight from law school to class A felonies including first degree murder. Not bad if you want trial experience right out of school.

Former NH PD intern here. Happy to answer questions about the organization, but this is definitely not true. When you start after the bar you're given a mentor attorney and work your way up to representing clients charged with misdemeanors on your own (after training). You get felonies after about one year, and they're very low-level. They're certainly not going to give the very few murders per year to a fresh out of law school attorney.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:55 pm

Any ADAs in the DC metro area? I'm going to Georgetown this fall and my own web searches on the NoVA/MD counties prosecutors pages hasn't turned much up. Any DA offices in the DC area known to do a decent amount of entry level hiring? Apologize if this is a gooberish question, but figured I'd give it a shot.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:New Hampshire Public Defender allows you to go straight from law school to class A felonies including first degree murder. Not bad if you want trial experience right out of school.

Former NH PD intern here. Happy to answer questions about the organization, but this is definitely not true. When you start after the bar you're given a mentor attorney and work your way up to representing clients charged with misdemeanors on your own (after training). You get felonies after about one year, and they're very low-level. They're certainly not going to give the very few murders per year to a fresh out of law school attorney.

Everyone knows New Hampshire is rolling in murders -- so many that first-year attorneys have to get them for routine assignments. It's that cartel corridor up through Dartmouth College, you see.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:05 am

Tanicius wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Everyone knows New Hampshire is rolling in murders -- so many that first-year attorneys have to get them for routine assignments. It's that cartel corridor up through Dartmouth College, you see.

I'll be starting there in the fall. In interviews when you ask about how much responsibility you get they say "well you usually get low level felonies BUT we had this one guy who did a first degree murder in his first two years, but he was really good. How good will you be?" haha it was like a weird army recruiting tactic.

Also, there is crime in NH http://247wallst.com/special-report/201 ... soaring/3/ and apparently its soaring.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'll be starting there in the fall. In interviews when you ask about how much responsibility you get they say "well you usually get low level felonies BUT we had this one guy who did a first degree murder in his first two years, but he was really good. How good will you be?" haha it was like a weird army recruiting tactic.

Also, there is crime in NH http://247wallst.com/special-report/201 ... soaring/3/ and apparently its soaring.

Haha! In my NH interview they asked "How do you feel about defending white people?" (I am white.) I thought the question was so weird I just paused and went...."well, some of my best friends are white." Could not tell if she was amused but I didn't get an offer from them haha. Oh NH. I have two good friends starting there this fall, you'll have a great time :)

Return to “Legal Employment”