How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:17 pm

encore1101 wrote:
emarxnj wrote:Any tips for prosecution interview for 1L summer? How much do they expect me to know?

Not much, tbh. Be ready to answer why you want to intern there, what you hope to get out of the internship experience, what attracted you to that office, what bureau you want to work in. Seriously doubtful they'd ask you any hypos.

i got hypos my 1L prosecution interview

Cal Trask

Postby Cal Trask » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
encore1101 wrote:
emarxnj wrote:Any tips for prosecution interview for 1L summer? How much do they expect me to know?

Not much, tbh. Be ready to answer why you want to intern there, what you hope to get out of the internship experience, what attracted you to that office, what bureau you want to work in. Seriously doubtful they'd ask you any hypos.

What sort of hypos do they expect you to answer based on the one crim class you've taken (and have likely just started)?

gdane

Postby gdane » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:58 pm

Just to be on the safe side go over 4th amendment stuff quickly. But almost no prosecutors offices are going to ask a 1L any hypos. You're going to be an intern, not a full time employee.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:56 pm

No hypos, but yeah I can't imagine what they would expect you to really know. Crim was my best class in the fall, but I doubt I could have formed a coherent thought if I they had given me some facts. Interview seemed to go pretty well though.

Please let me know if I should delete this question and repost anon, but what kinds of things would be auto-ding as far as the background check?

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:00 pm

No hypos, but yeah I can't imagine what they would expect you to really know. Crim was my best class in the fall, but I doubt I could have formed a coherent thought if I they had given me some facts. Interview seemed to go pretty well though.

Please let me know if I should delete this question and repost anon, but what kinds of things would be auto-ding as far as the background check?

For DAs? Generally felonies, crimes of moral turpitude, and for USAOs bad credit with recent history that's negative.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:02 pm

spleenworship wrote:

For DAs? Generally felonies, crimes of moral turpitude, and for USAOs bad credit with recent history that's negative.

Okay, don't want to go into details, but sounds like I'll be fine.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:33 pm

encore1101 wrote:

I was hypo'd during my 1L summer intern interview as well.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:37 pm

Cal Trask wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
encore1101 wrote:

What sort of hypos do they expect you to answer based on the one crim class you've taken (and have likely just started)?

I actually ended up getting Brady, but as far as I understand the reason why that office hypos even the 1L's (though they don't have a lot of 1L's who actually end up working for the office...I was one of nine 1L's in a class of 50 legal interns) is to see how you think about the potential dilemma and what your instinct is. I already knew Brady from former WE, but I wasn't really asked about the substantive law; it was more a "what concerns do you have with this scenario, if any?" and "what would you ultimately do?"

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:57 pm

do civil Legal Aid orgs throw applicants hypos at interviews for FTLT jerbs or is that more of a PD/DA thing?

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:35 pm

BlueLotus wrote:do civil Legal Aid orgs throw applicants hypos at interviews for FTLT jerbs or is that more of a PD/DA thing?

I've heard from my many PD friends interviewing for Legal Aid here in New York that they end up doing some kind of argument (closing argument, opening, cross-examination, etc.). Honestly it sounded more intense than the ADA interviews. They just hypo the hell out of us. We don't have to deliver some kind of closing on a fact pattern they give us. No idea if that extends to the other practice areas of Legal Aid though.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:47 pm

Civil legal aid in my state doesn't hypo. They're just glad they have another body to make work/

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:36 am

spleenworship wrote:Civil legal aid in my state doesn't hypo. They're just glad they have another body to make work/

I kinda got this sense. The office I interviewed at has a pretty massive caseload, I can't imagine why they wouldn't use the free labor.

Is there any reason to think working at a prosecutors office will limit jerb options going forward?

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:12 am

emarxnj wrote:
spleenworship wrote:Civil legal aid in my state doesn't hypo. They're just glad they have another body to make work/

I kinda got this sense. The office I interviewed at has a pretty massive caseload, I can't imagine why they wouldn't use the free labor.

Is there any reason to think working at a prosecutors office will limit jerb options going forward?

I've been told that if you do it too long that you become unsuitable for working with clients. You get too use to having stuff your own way all the time, what with not having real clients and all, just the nebulous "State."

That said, 2-5 years (probably more for AUSAs) is considered good experience and won't limit or hurt you at all.

ETA: and if you mean just this summer? Then yes. It becomes MUCH harder to get a job with a PDs office if you ever decide to turn away from the dark side.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:46 pm

emarxnj wrote:

i'm not talking about doing "free labor" at Legal Aid. I mean FTLT jerbs, which I'm sure have higher hiring standards than unpaid internships.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:34 pm

emarxnj wrote:

If you have any interest in PD work or really any work representing poor people fighting the state, having a prosecutor's office on your resume will usually send it to the trash. This can be overcome if you were doing say civil rights prosecutions with the DOJ, or MAYBE if you're prepared to trash your former work in a cover letter and in the interview. On the other hand, if you're willing to burn a few bridges, it's quite easy to cross over to the dark side from a PD office.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:49 pm

spleenworship wrote:
emarxnj wrote:

I've been told that if you do it too long that you become unsuitable for working with clients. You get too use to having stuff your own way all the time, what with not having real clients and all, just the nebulous "State."

That said, 2-5 years (probably more for AUSAs) is considered good experience and won't limit or hurt you at all.

ETA: and if you mean just this summer? Then yes. It becomes MUCH harder to get a job with a PDs office if you ever decide to turn away from the dark side.

I have no intention of working in PD. I meant more like switching to private sector. I'm excited* about this internship, but they made it clear to me I'll have a very good idea of whether I want to do this or hate it by the end of the summer.

*as excited as possible for an unpaid internship
Last edited by Easy-E on Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:57 pm

spleenworship wrote:ETA: and if you mean just this summer? Then yes. It becomes MUCH harder to get a job with a PDs office if you ever decide to turn away from the dark side.

TCR.

Seriously, had a friend tell me that she needed to take a volunteer thing she did helping people get restraining orders off her resume because PD offices were like "WHAT IS THIS? YOU'RE PERPETRATING CRIMES OF THE STATE!"

My natural (prosecutor-oriented) response was: "maybe your clients should stop violating those orders?"

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:48 pm

sd5289 wrote:
spleenworship wrote:ETA: and if you mean just this summer? Then yes. It becomes MUCH harder to get a job with a PDs office if you ever decide to turn away from the dark side.

TCR.

Seriously, had a friend tell me that she needed to take a volunteer thing she did helping people get restraining orders off her resume because PD offices were like "WHAT IS THIS? YOU'RE PERPETRATING CRIMES OF THE STATE!"

My natural (prosecutor-oriented) response was: "maybe your clients should stop violating those orders?"

I basically got all my job interviews with pDs offices by explaining in my cover letter that my time at the DAs was equivalent to being held hostage and being forced to victimize innocents, as though my employer was actually a Cthulhu cult.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:55 pm

spleenworship wrote:
sd5289 wrote:

TCR.

I basically got all my job interviews with pDs offices by explaining in my cover letter that my time at the DAs was equivalent to being held hostage and being forced to victimize innocents, as though my employer was actually a Cthulhu cult.

Yikes. Do PDs feel the same way about indigent Legal Aid places that assist folks who happen to be victims in civil (i.e. family law) matters? Also, would having 2 summers of civil Legal Aid pretty much foreclose me from having any chance of getting a PD jerb postgrad?

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:57 pm

I believe they actually like Civil Aid experience. It's working for indigents after all.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:03 pm

spleenworship wrote:I believe they actually like Civil Aid experience. It's working for indigents after all.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I suppose that in the wake of Padilla v. Kentucky immigration experience is greatly valued by PDs, right? Yes, I did work with U/VAWA seekers, but some of those clients had criminal histories and I've had to research/write memos on the immigration consequences of those criminal convictions

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:10 pm

BlueLotus wrote:
spleenworship wrote:I believe they actually like Civil Aid experience. It's working for indigents after all.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I suppose that in the wake of Padilla v. Kentucky immigration experience is greatly valued by PDs, right? Yes, I did work with U/VAWA seekers, but some of those clients had criminal histories and I've had to research/write memos on the immigration consequences of those criminal convictions

Yeah, they do like that. That said, not vital - a lot if these offices retain outside immigration counsel for consultations.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:13 pm

emarxnj wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

Okay, don't want to go into details, but sounds like I'll be fine.

fwiw, ive been arrested a couple times and have a DUI on my record from 2006. Not one place I interned at (couple state/district attorney offices and state AG office) cared. I have permanent offer from a DA office, which i did not intern at so it's not like someone want to bat for me, after graduation and they didnt care when I told them.

If you have a questionable background, just let them know when they bring up the whole "this offer is conditional upon a passing a background check" stuff. I was upfront with that stuff and the upper level people seemed to apperciate that. They explained to me that they understood mistakes happen and were more concerned with whether you've learned from it, etc.

anjmissy

Postby anjmissy » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:41 pm

does anyone know where i can find a list of job fairs that public defender offices interview at..thanks..all i can think of is equal justice, but i know there must be some over the summer to get a head start as well.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:34 am

spleenworship wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:

Yeah, they do like that. That said, not vital - a lot if these offices retain outside immigration counsel for consultations.

Are you sure that's true for everywhere though? I responded to a lot of Padilla motions last summer, and many defendants plead guilty at arraignment or during calendar call, so often it's the PD who would be in the position to explain the immigration consequences of the plea. It can take all of two minutes if it happens at arraignment. This is in NYC though. I'm assuming it's a lot slower in other parts of the country.

Return to “Legal Employment”