How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
seatown12
Posts: 614
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:16 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby seatown12 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:43 pm

Borhas wrote:
cesmoc wrote:Borhas, did you apply to the Eastern District CA Fed Defender?


no I didn't I applied to CDCal and NDCal, probably the toughest nuts to crack in the West

My guess is that EDCal is probably very selective, but not as selective. Though, I question the value of working for an FPD as a 2L if you are sure you want to be a PD or a DA, since the experience at a local office would be much more relevant, if less prestigious. On the other hand, if you have the grades for an Art III clerkship, than it may be the best way to maximize chances of landing those rare FPD jobs.

More Relevant, Less Prestigious is the way to go for sure

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4857
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Borhas » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:13 pm

How relevant is post-conviction work? I got a call back interview tomorrow w/ DC PD Services, and while I'd love to spend a summer working there, it's not with the Trial Division, it's with the Community Defender Division, specifically with the Institutional Services Program... which deals w/ how prisoners are treated, and their issues, etc.

My gut says working at local PD office would still be a better experience... though I do have personal (non-career/family) reasons for wanting to spend summer in DC.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby A'nold » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:06 pm

So I'm thinking about mass mailing every county in about 5 states......good or bad idea?

User avatar
Gettingstarted1928
Posts: 407
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:45 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Gettingstarted1928 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:38 pm

A'nold wrote:So I'm thinking about mass mailing every county in about 5 states......good or bad idea?


Where do you live where it's that competitive?

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby A'nold » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:52 pm

Gettingstarted1928 wrote:
A'nold wrote:So I'm thinking about mass mailing every county in about 5 states......good or bad idea?


Where do you live where it's that competitive?

I honestly don't know how competitive it is outside of a few larger cities that I am familiar with. However, I don't feel confident enough to be picky right now. My school enjoys a great reputation across many states in my region and I would not be opposed to moving out-of-state to secure a position.

User avatar
leobowski
Posts: 511
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:11 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby leobowski » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:03 pm

Borhas wrote:How relevant is post-conviction work? I got a call back interview tomorrow w/ DC PD Services, and while I'd love to spend a summer working there, it's not with the Trial Division, it's with the Community Defender Division, specifically with the Institutional Services Program... which deals w/ how prisoners are treated, and their issues, etc.

My gut says working at local PD office would still be a better experience... though I do have personal (non-career/family) reasons for wanting to spend summer in DC.



DC PD is insanely competitive and that would still be a great gig. Lateraling to a trial work after something like that would not be out of the question.

seatown12
Posts: 614
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:16 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby seatown12 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:57 pm

Borhas wrote:How relevant is post-conviction work? I got a call back interview tomorrow w/ DC PD Services, and while I'd love to spend a summer working there, it's not with the Trial Division, it's with the Community Defender Division, specifically with the Institutional Services Program... which deals w/ how prisoners are treated, and their issues, etc.

My gut says working at local PD office would still be a better experience... though I do have personal (non-career/family) reasons for wanting to spend summer in DC.

I'm pretty sure PDS does a trial school for its interns, so find out if you'd still be participating in that.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby A'nold » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:29 pm

So I just talked with the HR attorney at my 2L summer office and she told me that they won't even look at an applicant until he/she passes the bar.......

Anonymous User
Posts: 273408
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Miami Dade just sent me a snail mail offer to interview. I will have to cover travel expenses which stinks but isn't totally unexpected.


I also received an offer to interview at Miami. Did you respond by email or phone? I've emailed and it's been about a week and still no response. I guess I will have to call to schedule the interview.


Same boat. Left voicemail, realized that he is probably swamped so sent email. Almost 2 weeks now without a reply....

User avatar
sandiecohen47
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:37 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby sandiecohen47 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:20 pm

Borhas wrote:How relevant is post-conviction work? I got a call back interview tomorrow w/ DC PD Services, and while I'd love to spend a summer working there, it's not with the Trial Division, it's with the Community Defender Division, specifically with the Institutional Services Program... which deals w/ how prisoners are treated, and their issues, etc.

My gut says working at local PD office would still be a better experience... though I do have personal (non-career/family) reasons for wanting to spend summer in DC.


Borhas, I will be at PDS this summer in the Trial Division. What I know about the Community Defender Division is that you get to represent clients in hearings. So, it is EXTREMELY relevant (or at least more relevant than an FPD). One of my friends at Boalt did it last summer and absolutely loved it. PM me for more details.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273408
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:41 pm

seatown12 wrote:
Borhas wrote:How relevant is post-conviction work? I got a call back interview tomorrow w/ DC PD Services, and while I'd love to spend a summer working there, it's not with the Trial Division, it's with the Community Defender Division, specifically with the Institutional Services Program... which deals w/ how prisoners are treated, and their issues, etc.

My gut says working at local PD office would still be a better experience... though I do have personal (non-career/family) reasons for wanting to spend summer in DC.

I'm pretty sure PDS does a trial school for its interns, so find out if you'd still be participating in that.


PDS does have Trial Practice Groups (TPG) for all interns, trial or not.

Working at the Community Defender Division will get you on your feet a lot, unlike in the Trial Division. Also, keep in mind that every 2L who interns there, no matter the division, are in the same "screener" interview pool that occurs near the end of the summer. Of course, presumably just like any other interview for a Trial PD position, they may question whether you are qualified and/or committed to working in their Trial Division. I'm not sure how much I'd weight that in my decision because, even if you intern there, your odds at getting a full-time job afterwards are incredibly slim even if you are in the Trial Division. But, PDS is a great office, with great people and it's a great thing to have on your resume.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273408
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Miami Dade just sent me a snail mail offer to interview. I will have to cover travel expenses which stinks but isn't totally unexpected.


I also received an offer to interview at Miami. Did you respond by email or phone? I've emailed and it's been about a week and still no response. I guess I will have to call to schedule the interview.


Same boat. Left voicemail, realized that he is probably swamped so sent email. Almost 2 weeks now without a reply....
I'll try again next week by both email and phone. I won't be able to interview until winter break after exams anyway, but I'll still need to make travel arrangements and the earlier I do it, the cheaper it will be.

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4857
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Borhas » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:58 pm

Thanks guys, that's very reassuring :) . I just had the interview and I'm think I'll get an offer to intern at the Community Defender. It looks like there's definitely some substantial work involved so if they do offer me a spot I'll almost certainly take it. Judging from y'all's responses it seems like even though they won't hire me after graduation, they are well known enough that it will have broad appeal to other PD offices that would actually hire me.

Still waiting to hear back from Alameda County, but I know they've sent out offer letters already so it's not looking to good as far as they go.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby A'nold » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:02 pm

Borhas wrote:Thanks guys, that's very reassuring :) . I just had the interview and I'm think I'll get an offer to intern at the Community Defender. It looks like there's definitely some substantial work involved so if they do offer me a spot I'll almost certainly take it. Judging from y'all's responses it seems like even though they won't hire me after graduation, they are well known enough that it will have broad appeal to other PD offices that would actually hire me.

Still waiting to hear back from Alameda County, but I know they've sent out offer letters already so it's not looking to good as far as they go.

Sounds great. Good job!

User avatar
Gettingstarted1928
Posts: 407
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:45 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Gettingstarted1928 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:34 pm

I'm really glad the legal market has improved some, because if it didn't, I guarantee these offices would be flooded with a bunch applicants trying to land a PD/ADA gig as a fall back.

adonai
Posts: 1033
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:09 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby adonai » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:33 pm

Gettingstarted1928 wrote:I'm really glad the legal market has improved some, because if it didn't, I guarantee these offices would be flooded with a bunch applicants trying to land a PD/ADA gig as a fall back.

I don't think it would matter cause these individuals would be filtered out instantly. I think it would be pretty obvious if it was fallback when you have someone who was a biglaw SA and is applying for PD/DA...

User avatar
Gettingstarted1928
Posts: 407
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:45 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Gettingstarted1928 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:06 pm

Are all of you just sending offices your resumes or are you contacting them first?

User avatar
NoleinNY
Posts: 1031
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:58 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby NoleinNY » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:05 pm

So I just secured an interview for a DA office in a nearby county, 2L summer internship. What kinds of questions have you guys received when interviewing besides "Why do you want to work for X DA?" Any curve balls?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273408
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Miami Dade just sent me a snail mail offer to interview. I will have to cover travel expenses which stinks but isn't totally unexpected.


I also received an offer to interview at Miami. Did you respond by email or phone? I've emailed and it's been about a week and still no response. I guess I will have to call to schedule the interview.


Same boat. Left voicemail, realized that he is probably swamped so sent email. Almost 2 weeks now without a reply....

Still nothing. I've left voicemails and emailed. I'm sure it's very busy but it's strange to not hear anything back. Other offices of a similar size have gotten back to me fairly quickly.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273408
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:23 pm

Does anyone have thoughts or suggestions about the final round interview with the District Attorney?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273408
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have thoughts or suggestions about the final round interview with the District Attorney?


I don't know which DA you're meeting but when I went in, it was more of an informal conversation where he asked about how I liked certain places I worked and my externship. It was very low stress and friendly. So relax and be normal. :)

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4857
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Borhas » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:18 pm

sandiecohen47 wrote:
Borhas wrote:How relevant is post-conviction work? I got a call back interview tomorrow w/ DC PD Services, and while I'd love to spend a summer working there, it's not with the Trial Division, it's with the Community Defender Division, specifically with the Institutional Services Program... which deals w/ how prisoners are treated, and their issues, etc.

My gut says working at local PD office would still be a better experience... though I do have personal (non-career/family) reasons for wanting to spend summer in DC.


Borhas, I will be at PDS this summer in the Trial Division. What I know about the Community Defender Division is that you get to represent clients in hearings. So, it is EXTREMELY relevant (or at least more relevant than an FPD). One of my friends at Boalt did it last summer and absolutely loved it. PM me for more details.


Got an email from them yesterday, I'll be at PDS this summer as well :D

User avatar
leobowski
Posts: 511
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:11 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby leobowski » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:15 pm

Congrats duder!

User avatar
Gettingstarted1928
Posts: 407
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:45 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Gettingstarted1928 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:55 pm

Borhas wrote:
sandiecohen47 wrote:
Borhas wrote:How relevant is post-conviction work? I got a call back interview tomorrow w/ DC PD Services, and while I'd love to spend a summer working there, it's not with the Trial Division, it's with the Community Defender Division, specifically with the Institutional Services Program... which deals w/ how prisoners are treated, and their issues, etc.

My gut says working at local PD office would still be a better experience... though I do have personal (non-career/family) reasons for wanting to spend summer in DC.


Borhas, I will be at PDS this summer in the Trial Division. What I know about the Community Defender Division is that you get to represent clients in hearings. So, it is EXTREMELY relevant (or at least more relevant than an FPD). One of my friends at Boalt did it last summer and absolutely loved it. PM me for more details.


Got an email from them yesterday, I'll be at PDS this summer as well :D


1L?

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4857
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Borhas » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:28 pm

Gettingstarted1928 wrote:
1L?


2L




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.