How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
FlanAl wrote:haha i can also say that contra costa stopped looking for people back in october. (an alum who works there told me to apply, so I did, and then got a quick email back saying they were done, kinda funny)

Actually no. They started interviewing people again in December very randomly. PDS summer alums and such. We were all told that their last interviews were in October and to expect offer announcements in early November. As far as I know, nobody has heard anything at all because they suddenly decided to do a bunch of a last minute interviews. Certainly does not bode well for those of us who interviewed earlier...

Interviewed with Contra Costa in December. Was told they'd make decisions in the first couple weeks of January.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:08 pm

well them starting to interview people again is different from them opening up applications again. Or did they take a whole new bunch of apps in december and just throw mine out right away? haha

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
FlanAl wrote:haha i can also say that contra costa stopped looking for people back in october. (an alum who works there told me to apply, so I did, and then got a quick email back saying they were done, kinda funny)

Actually no. They started interviewing people again in December very randomly. PDS summer alums and such. We were all told that their last interviews were in October and to expect offer announcements in early November. As far as I know, nobody has heard anything at all because they suddenly decided to do a bunch of a last minute interviews. Certainly does not bode well for those of us who interviewed earlier...

Interviewed with Contra Costa in December. Was told they'd make decisions in the first couple weeks of January.

Crap, I goofed. I thought we were talking about Alameda. Yeah, CoCo interviewed people in December.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:21 pm

FlanAl wrote:well them starting to interview people again is different from them opening up applications again. Or did they take a whole new bunch of apps in december and just throw mine out right away? haha

I feel like maybe they just invited more people to interview (who submitted earlier). I have PDS on my resume and got an immediate rejection e-mail that said that the deadline was back in October.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
FlanAl wrote:well them starting to interview people again is different from them opening up applications again. Or did they take a whole new bunch of apps in december and just throw mine out right away? haha

I feel like maybe they just invited more people to interview (who submitted earlier). I have PDS on my resume and got an immediate rejection e-mail that said that the deadline was back in October.

Applications were due in October. Screener interviews happened around then. Anyone who previously worked at CoCo got bumped past the screener round and to the December Robin interview.

desiballa21

Postby desiballa21 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:33 pm

gonna spend winter break reading this

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:20 pm

Asking for a friend--anyone hear back from Philly DA? (for postgrad, not internships)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:40 pm

Slight Derail BUT:

Anyone here manage to scrounge up funds for an engagement ring after two unpaid summers? I've been with SO for over 6 years and my excuse for the past 2 or so is that I'll wait until I get a job. I now have a job offer and would really like to propose. The industry she works in is full of big law and big bank wives so the whole "just give her a piece of string if thats all you can afford" doesn't exactly apply. I'm not trying to get a fat rock, but would like something that is at least respectable. I was thinking about waiting until I started the job and then saving up (probably what I'll end up doing anyways) but right now the timing feels right and if anyone could give some advice I would greatly appreciate it!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Slight Derail BUT:

Anyone here manage to scrounge up funds for an engagement ring after two unpaid summers? I've been with SO for over 6 years and my excuse for the past 2 or so is that I'll wait until I get a job. I now have a job offer and would really like to propose. The industry she works in is full of big law and big bank wives so the whole "just give her a piece of string if thats all you can afford" doesn't exactly apply. I'm not trying to get a fat rock, but would like something that is at least respectable. I was thinking about waiting until I started the job and then saving up (probably what I'll end up doing anyways) but right now the timing feels right and if anyone could give some advice I would greatly appreciate it!

Damn where did u get an offer from? Maybe a pawn shop? They sometimes have good stuff for cheap. Or maybe one of those gold buyers?

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Slight Derail BUT:

How on Earth would anyone be able to answer a question about your own finances? You either have the money to get her what she wants or you don't, and she's either okay with you saving up for something in the future or she isn't.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:14 pm

Sorry, no personal finances, just law school debt. She doesn't expect anything, completely ok with me saving up/giving her a piece of string, but I'd rather give her something halfway respectable. I have a jeweler in the family who said that I could get this done for 1.5-2k. Basically wondering if theres a special ring financier or if there's a way for a broke PI dude to somehow get his hands on that kind of cash.

wbrother

Postby wbrother » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sorry, no personal finances, just law school debt. She doesn't expect anything, completely ok with me saving up/giving her a piece of string, but I'd rather give her something halfway respectable. I have a jeweler in the family who said that I could get this done for 1.5-2k. Basically wondering if theres a special ring financier or if there's a way for a broke PI dude to somehow get his hands on that kind of cash.

Loans? Can you take a BS summer/online class and max out on student loans? If your job is PI then fuck it, IBR and loan forgiveness is your future anyway!

wbrother

Postby wbrother » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:22 pm

wbrother wrote:Loans? Can you take a BS summer/online class and max out on student loans? If your job is PI then fuck it, IBR and loan forgiveness is your future anyway!

Please don't do this, btw.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:44 pm

wbrother wrote:
wbrother wrote:Loans? Can you take a BS summer/online class and max out on student loans? If your job is PI then fuck it, IBR and loan forgiveness is your future anyway!

I did this and I dont regret it

of course that's because I was lucky enough to a get loan forgiveness job

never go to summer school on any non-PSLF eligible loans

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:14 pm

Borhas wrote:
wbrother wrote:

hmmm I'm a 3L with a PSLF job lined up did you do the bs online course? I'm sure I could swing some like intersession thing? I've only ever gotten the loans through my law school, any idea if they are generally cool with this?

Also, just saw a killer antique one for $700 (ebay). I honestly have no budget right now but if antique ones generally go for this price would it be really hard to get like $800?

wbrother

Postby wbrother » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:45 pm

Borhas wrote:
wbrother wrote:

Summer School to cover cost of living and things like that is different than summer school to max out on loans just to get an engagement ring though, right?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:33 pm

how early can I take out a private bar loan? I'm assuming most of you will be doing this since there's no way PI orgs are paying for bar study. Maybe I could take out a little more in that than I planned on. ALSO does anyone know if you can use an americorps scholarship for bar study?

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:20 am

wbrother wrote:
Borhas wrote:
wbrother wrote:

Summer School to cover cost of living and things like that is different than summer school to max out on loans just to get an engagement ring though, right?

not really, I would have done that if I was planning on getting engaged

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Borhas wrote:
wbrother wrote:

hmmm I'm a 3L with a PSLF job lined up did you do the bs online course? I'm sure I could swing some like intersession thing? I've only ever gotten the loans through my law school, any idea if they are generally cool with this?

Also, just saw a killer antique one for $700 (ebay). I honestly have no budget right now but if antique ones generally go for this price would it be really hard to get like $800?

if I would have found an online class yeah, but instead I signed up for evidence (1L summer) and trusts and estates (2L summer) lectures and skipped half of the classes

gdane

Postby gdane » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:22 am

For PSLF, what if you make money on the side while working in your PI organization? Does this not matter? I'm sure it ups your monthly IBR payment, but this doesn't disqualify you from PSLF, right?

volp

Postby volp » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:31 am

is it possible to intern with two PD offices 1L summer, part time at each?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:40 am

how bad would it be if i accepted an internship at a pd office earlier this semester but changed my mind because I just got an offer from a pd office in a bigger city.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:how bad would it be if i accepted an internship at a pd office earlier this semester but changed my mind because I just got an offer from a pd office in a bigger city.

you'll burn a bridge most likely. is the bigger city PD one paid tho? I mean, the previous PD office you accepted may be more understanding if accepting the bigger city PD offer would be less of a financial hardship.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:how early can I take out a private bar loan? I'm assuming most of you will be doing this since there's no way PI orgs are paying for bar study. Maybe I could take out a little more in that than I planned on. ALSO does anyone know if you can use an americorps scholarship for bar study?

AmeriCorps scholarship has to be given to you through an institution so I am not sure how bar study loans work but unless the school is giving them out I don't think so. They can work for living expenses while in law school though. I had a full tuition scholarship and was able to use my award to cover COL.

desiballa21

Postby desiballa21 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:34 pm

Trying to intern 1L summer at Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Suffolk or Miami DA/SAO... any advice for things to include in cover letters, apps.. anything in particular I should highlight? PM if so, thanks in advance!

Return to “Legal Employment”