How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:06 pm

Void wrote:I honestly didn't know. Someone forgot their xanax this morning.

Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:50 pm

Well, s/he sure showed me.

Hope everyone is having a lovely Thanksgiving (or Thursday).

Void

Postby Void » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Void wrote:I honestly didn't know. Someone forgot their xanax this morning.

So it's ok to say "obnoxious" and "xanax", but I can't joke around too? That's just sad.
You kids have your fun in your little post. I asked a simple question and got 2 unprofessional people jumping down my throat for it. I will look elsewhere for an intelligent response. I assure you I will not be back to check your responses to this, so have fun.

LOL this guy is amazingly grouchy. Sorry to have contributed to the thread derail!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that there were 2nd interviews for people who did table talk interviews, but not for the people who had regular interviews. So it would be regular interview --> offer/no offer, or table talk --> regular interview --> offer/no offer.

That's what I heard from EJW, but I thought I read something on the 3L thread where one of interviewers said that they were focusing on the 2L apps and second rounds for December, and then 3L offers would come out in January.

Has anyone applied or though of applying to Gideon's Promise? Also, what's up with Seattle (King County)? Are they starting up a new PD's office to take over from PDA?

This is the email response I got...
Right now we are focused on getting offers out for paid summer interns by mid December. We will start to focus on new hires in January and intend to send out offer letters around mid February.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This is the email response I got...
Right now we are focused on getting offers out for paid summer interns by mid December. We will start to focus on new hires in January and intend to send out offer letters around mid February.

Was this in response to a follow up email? They probably have a huge volume of applicants.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that there were 2nd interviews for people who did table talk interviews, but not for the people who had regular interviews. So it would be regular interview --> offer/no offer, or table talk --> regular interview --> offer/no offer.

That's what I heard from EJW, but I thought I read something on the 3L thread where one of interviewers said that they were focusing on the 2L apps and second rounds for December, and then 3L offers would come out in January.

Has anyone applied or though of applying to Gideon's Promise? Also, what's up with Seattle (King County)? Are they starting up a new PD's office to take over from PDA?

This is the email response I got...

Does Gideon's promise hire directly? I thought they took people who recently acquired pd jobs.

Also same anon who got the email above. It was a follow up with a contact in the office.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:52 pm

CO offer - 2L.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:CO offer - 2L.

Congratulations!

Call or e-mail? They're just offering paid internships now, right? Love to hear any details you wouldn't mind sharing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Congratulations!

Call or e-mail? They're just offering paid internships now, right? Love to hear any details you wouldn't mind sharing.

NP. email and I think they are just starting.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:33 pm

For a specific office?

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:27 pm

Finally got placed at an office in the Colorado PD (received offer in May 2013)

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:29 pm

Borhas wrote:Finally got placed at an office in the Colorado PD (received offer in May 2013)

Congrats man! What have you been doing in between graduation and now? Volunteering in CO?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

For a specific office?

Not yet.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:51 pm

FlanAl wrote:
Borhas wrote:Finally got placed at an office in the Colorado PD (received offer in May 2013)

Congrats man! What have you been doing in between graduation and now? Volunteering in CO?

I worked part time at a criminal defense firm until I got bar results back, then I quit and made some money through sperm and bone marrow donations, and bitcoin day trading

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:37 am

Borhas wrote:
FlanAl wrote:

I worked part time at a criminal defense firm until I got bar results back, then I quit and made some money through sperm and bone marrow donations, and bitcoin day trading

haha sorry I just wasn't sure if CO had their people volunteer pre-bar somewhere in the state until they get placed or if they just leave you to your own devices. I know that NJ has you volunteer until bar results come out and wasn't sure if it was the same thing.

linkx13

Postby linkx13 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:11 am

Great stuff in this thread. Tagged!

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:16 pm

FlanAl wrote:

Congrats man!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:46 am

Do y'all think that getting a joint degree like a masters in social work will help significantly at getting a PD job? I found out I have the opportunity to get one while in law school and it wouldn't cost me anything, However I wouldn't be able to do journal, moot court or anything like that (although I can still likely do one semester of clinic) and I would be taking 17-18 units total for most of the time (although 3L year would mostly be a social work internship).

I really am genuinely interested in the holistic type PD offices. I know Bronx is one of them but do you know how to figure out what offices have social workers on staff and really use that approach?

Also as a 1L I am not in the area I want to practice, decent school and my debt aversion lead to me to big $$$ is that easily explainable in these situations? I know after reading this thread that I should be looking to summer in offices I want to work in but what if it is more complicated than that. Like I would want CA yet I would likely only have a shot at a shittier county (like the valley), however because I want to be a PD above all else I will apply to most places that hire before graduation. Would it be best to try and intern in CA or in a pre grad hiring county?

Lastly is there a list of places who either are or historically have hired pre graduation. If someone wants to make that I am sure you will be loved forever :D

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:30 am

There's a chance it'll help your resume stand out, but the likelihood that it'll make or break any hiring official's decision is close to zero. If you're interested in social work, why not take a single class, do really well, and maybe you can get the prof to write you a LOR or at least be a reference.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:Do y'all think that getting a joint degree like a masters in social work will help significantly at getting a PD job? I found out I have the opportunity to get one while in law school and it wouldn't cost me anything, However I wouldn't be able to do journal, moot court or anything like that (although I can still likely do one semester of clinic) and I would be taking 17-18 units total for most of the time (although 3L year would mostly be a social work internship).

I really am genuinely interested in the holistic type PD offices. I know Bronx is one of them but do you know how to figure out what offices have social workers on staff and really use that approach?

Also as a 1L I am not in the area I want to practice, decent school and my debt aversion lead to me to big $$$ is that easily explainable in these situations? I know after reading this thread that I should be looking to summer in offices I want to work in but what if it is more complicated than that. Like I would want CA yet I would likely only have a shot at a shittier county (like the valley), however because I want to be a PD above all else I will apply to most places that hire before graduation. Would it be best to try and intern in CA or in a pre grad hiring county?

Lastly is there a list of places who either are or historically have hired pre graduation. If someone wants to make that I am sure you will be loved forever :D

I think the social work degree is good if you can focus it on working with juveniles and then sell that to PD offices like Bronx as a plus for being able to work with Y/O's. The majority of people who deal with young defendants have zero specialized training and were basically just interested in doing it. If you can bring that too the table you'll be good.

I'm not sure how holistic any of the california offices are so you might be better trying to work in NY this summer. Also, really try to feel out the type of office before you talk about how you like the holistic model. Offices that aren't like this generally don't like it and hate that policy makers are trying to make them change to it.

I interned in California 1L and at a hollistic-ish office on the east coast 2L so feel free to pm with questions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do y'all think that getting a joint degree like a masters in social work will help significantly at getting a PD job? I found out I have the opportunity to get one while in law school and it wouldn't cost me anything, However I wouldn't be able to do journal, moot court or anything like that (although I can still likely do one semester of clinic) and I would be taking 17-18 units total for most of the time (although 3L year would mostly be a social work internship).

Pm me I'm a dual degree

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:Pm me I'm a dual degree

They can't PM you if you post anonymously.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:47 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Pm me I'm a dual degree

They can't PM you if you post anonymously.

Shit sorry didn't mean for that to be anon lol. Looong day! PM me though if you want more information

wbrother

Postby wbrother » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:41 pm

Hey All,

I'm up for a summer fellowship via my school to work a paid gig with Public Counsel, a well regarded non-profit for those that don't know. Would I be crazy to turn it down to work for a CA PD office for free? My best guess is no, but everyone has been telling me yes. This is 1L summer if that matters.

My hope is that I don't end up getting the fellowship so the decision is made for me, but I wanted to get the opinion of this thread.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:46 pm

This may be a no brainer..

Does anyone have any idea if it makes one bit of difference if you "volunteer" at a DA's office for 1L summer or if you "extern" there for the summer?

My school sets up externships at several DA offices near my school, and I'd rather have the safety net of loan money to get me through the summer in case I can't find another paying summer job, but if it looks better to volunteer rather than extern for that reason, I'll do that.

My gut was that they don't care at all, but.. just thought I'd ask around!

Return to “Legal Employment”