How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:44 pm

I'm posting in both threads because I feel like more working PD's are in this one. Could anyone tell me about the panel interview with New Hampshire? Mine is coming up and I really don't know very much about it.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm posting in both threads because I feel like more working PD's are in this one. Could anyone tell me about the panel interview with New Hampshire? Mine is coming up and I really don't know very much about it.

Apparently, they care about grades a bit more than most PDs, and if you didn't do so hot in Evidence or another core PD class, they will grill the fuck out of you. (see p. 92 ITT)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:38 pm

Yeah, I saw that but wasn't sure if that was just for the round one interview. I'm supposed to show up an hour early to prep for the interview, maybe with my lackluster evidence grade they'll design hypos for my on that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:It might be helpful for others to give you more input, but I would try for DA/State Attorney for both summers.

Different anon here, I'd say that's good advice unless the 1L gets a DA/State Attorney their 1L summer. Then USAO is a good second step for 2L summer, and it shows the original DA's office that you moved "up" as you went through school (this is assuming you're wanting the job with the initial DA's office out of law school).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah, I saw that but wasn't sure if that was just for the round one interview. I'm supposed to show up an hour early to prep for the interview, maybe with my lackluster evidence grade they'll design hypos for my on that.

How long did it take you to hear back about setting up the panel interview? I had my first round with them this past week and there was no talk about my grades. Although I did well in most crime classes but everything else is not so hot.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:31 pm

It took about a week and a half. There was no talk of grades at first round for me at all. They actually didn't ask for a transcript before the interview but asked for one like a week later, I figured I was doomed but then got the 2nd round email a few days later.

KD35

Postby KD35 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:48 am

How important are grades for getting prosecutor positions? For a large market (but not Manhattan/Cook County/etc.), do they primarily only want to hire on people in the top 25% or are they a bit more lenient with grades than BigLaw?

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:19 pm

KD35 wrote:How important are grades for getting prosecutor positions? For a large market (but not Manhattan/Cook County/etc.), do they primarily only want to hire on people in the top 25% or are they a bit more lenient with grades than BigLaw?

Outside of manhattan and other big markets, I've heard again and again (including my own market) tht they don't care as long as you are taking criminal and trial classes.

eaternation

Postby eaternation » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:58 am

I apologize if this was discussed in the 121 pages of the thread, but I'd appreciate the help.

For 1L summer PD internships, will it make a significant difference if I submit all my applications on or near December 1st versus after finals? I have my resume done, but I haven't written my cover letters. I'd rather focus on studying until after finals, but I will finish all the application materials if there is an actual boost to applying on December 1st versus mid December to early January.

1L aiming for a PD internship over the summer
From CA. Applying to CA PD offices

Thanks

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:43 pm

Any 2Ls hear back on Colorado PD?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any 2Ls hear back on Colorado PD?

not me. I interviewed with Janine at EJW, she said we wouldn't hear back until December. I feel like she said "first couple weeks of December", so that's something to focus on.

gdane

Postby gdane » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:35 pm

eaternation wrote:I apologize if this was discussed in the 121 pages of the thread, but I'd appreciate the help.

For 1L summer PD internships, will it make a significant difference if I submit all my applications on or near December 1st versus after finals? I have my resume done, but I haven't written my cover letters. I'd rather focus on studying until after finals, but I will finish all the application materials if there is an actual boost to applying on December 1st versus mid December to early January.

1L aiming for a PD internship over the summer
From CA. Applying to CA PD offices

Thanks

The December 1st thing is a big flame and mainly applies to big firms that are under NALP rules. Check with each individual office as to when you can begin applying. I'd focus on finals and send stuff out after you're done.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I heard there were 2d rounds for 2Ls? anyone else?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:50 am

Does anyone know any other forums for attorneys seeking to become DDAs? I'm looking to see if anyone else is applying for DDA positions all over CA like I am…

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I heard there were 2d rounds for 2Ls? anyone else?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that there were 2nd interviews for people who did table talk interviews, but not for the people who had regular interviews. So it would be regular interview --> offer/no offer, or table talk --> regular interview --> offer/no offer.

Void

Postby Void » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know any other forums for attorneys seeking to become DDAs? I'm looking to see if anyone else is applying for DDA positions all over CA like I am…

What's a DDA? A District District Attorney?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that there were 2nd interviews for people who did table talk interviews, but not for the people who had regular interviews. So it would be regular interview --> offer/no offer, or table talk --> regular interview --> offer/no offer.

That's what I heard from EJW, but I thought I read something on the 3L thread where one of interviewers said that they were focusing on the 2L apps and second rounds for December, and then 3L offers would come out in January.

Has anyone applied or though of applying to Gideon's Promise? Also, what's up with Seattle (King County)? Are they starting up a new PD's office to take over from PDA?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:11 am

Void wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know any other forums for attorneys seeking to become DDAs? I'm looking to see if anyone else is applying for DDA positions all over CA like I am…

What's a DDA? A District District Attorney?

Deputy District Attorney
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:46 am

Void has graduated and is a PD, if I remember correctly, so there's no need to be snarky. Different states use different titles - my law school state hired ADAs (assistant district attorneys), some places hire State's Attorneys, etc. DDA isn't that hard to figure out but it was just a simple question.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:04 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Void has graduated and is a PD, if I remember correctly, so there's no need to be snarky. Different states use different titles - my law school state hired ADAs (assistant district attorneys), some places hire State's Attorneys, etc. DDA isn't that hard to figure out but it was just a simple question.

Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:28 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Void has graduated and is a PD, if I remember correctly, so there's no need to be snarky. Different states use different titles - my law school state hired ADAs (assistant district attorneys), some places hire State's Attorneys, etc. DDA isn't that hard to figure out but it was just a simple question.

Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:49 pm

(Just for the record: I deleted my post last quoted by anon above by accident, so pretend it's still there.)

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:57 pm

Let's just pretend the whole thing didn't happen and focus on PD/DA jobs.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:03 pm

anon sequitur wrote:Let's just pretend the whole thing didn't happen and focus on PD/DA jobs.

Yes, that's a good idea - sorry, all.

Void

Postby Void » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:21 pm

I honestly didn't know. Someone forgot their xanax this morning.

Return to “Legal Employment”