How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BlueLotus

Gold

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Post by BlueLotus » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:30 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Pretzel_Logic wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:started applying to PD offices. Wouldnt mind seeing their reactions when/if they open my materials and see a resume with nothing but prosecution experience.
I'm going to have to do this will similar credentials. Not sure it'll go over.
I got a lot of questions about my 1L summer at a prosecutors office. They seemed skeptical of me. Just FYI.

PM me if you are looking for a post bar DA position in BFE. I know of a few.
spleen, how did you answer questions re: your 1L prosecution summer?

I have no prosecution experience, but i have worked with DV/SA/trafficking victims in various capacities, so i'd be curious as to how to go about addressing their skepticism. Spent 1L summer at an immigration legal aid org doing U visas and VAWA self-petitions. is my experience an auto-ding for some PDs offices?

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:46 pm

in addition, do private crim defense firms look down on prosecution experience the same way that PDs do?

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:03 pm

BlueLotus wrote:in addition, do private crim defense firms look down on prosecution experience the same way that PDs do?
no I don't think so, they still prefer defense work though
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:19 pm

BlueLotus wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
Pretzel_Logic wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:started applying to PD offices. Wouldnt mind seeing their reactions when/if they open my materials and see a resume with nothing but prosecution experience.
I'm going to have to do this will similar credentials. Not sure it'll go over.
I got a lot of questions about my 1L summer at a prosecutors office. They seemed skeptical of me. Just FYI.

PM me if you are looking for a post bar DA position in BFE. I know of a few.
spleen, how did you answer questions re: your 1L prosecution summer?

I have no prosecution experience, but i have worked with DV/SA/trafficking victims in various capacities, so i'd be curious as to how to go about addressing their skepticism. Spent 1L summer at an immigration legal aid org doing U visas and VAWA self-petitions. is my experience an auto-ding for some PDs offices?
I just told the truth: my experience there made me want to be a defense attorney because they were railroading people into pleas for shit they didn't do.

Lawst

Silver

Post by Lawst » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:55 am

I was feeling pretty good about how things started out, but after several interviews, and other seemingly promising leads back in September and October, I'm starting to feel a bit like this as the rejections roll in, along with the implied rejections as others get 2nd rounds with places that interviewed me and haven't been in contact at all.

Here's hoping to a better spring job cycle, so I don't have to go be a "volunteer attorney" at this time next year while still trying to find a job.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:01 am

Has anyone heard back from KY about first round yet?

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:04 am

Lawst wrote:I was feeling pretty good about how things started out, but after several interviews, and other seemingly promising leads back in September and October, I'm starting to feel a bit like this as the rejections roll in, along with the implied rejections as others get 2nd rounds with places that interviewed me and haven't been in contact at all.

Here's hoping to a better spring job cycle, so I don't have to go be a "volunteer attorney" at this time next year while still trying to find a job.
Don't give up hope yet many places haven't started second rounds or selected all of their second rounds! Where have you applied so far?

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:23 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Borhas wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:in addition, do private crim defense firms look down on prosecution experience the same way that PDs do?
no I don't think so, they still prefer defense work though
This is probably true, but there are a ton of private criminal defense lawyers out there who came from prosecution - I suspect it's a mixture of spleen's reason, and a general desire to go into private practice (which of course requires switching sides because there's no such thing as being a private prosecutor). Most private criminal defense law seems to be done solo/very small firms (apart from the fancy white-collar branches of biglaw), so I would think having any kind of experience would be a big plus.

(Based on my experience in the parts of the country where I've been, anyway.)
I think a lot of this is because a lot of places just had court appointed counsel and no pd office so the only place to really get training was in a prosecutors office

Lawst

Silver

Post by Lawst » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:24 am

robin600 wrote:
Lawst wrote:I was feeling pretty good about how things started out, but after several interviews, and other seemingly promising leads back in September and October, I'm starting to feel a bit like this as the rejections roll in, along with the implied rejections as others get 2nd rounds with places that interviewed me and haven't been in contact at all.

Don't give up hope yet many places haven't started second rounds or selected all of their second rounds! Where have you applied so far?
Some of the places to which I've applied, and interviewed with, have given 2nd round interviews, according to some of the posts here, but it doesn't mean of course that they're done with 2nd rounds. Anyway, thank you - I am half-joking, half-morose about my prospects at this point, but I haven't given up hope yet. I was hoping to have something figured out by winter break, at least an idea of which bar I will be taking in July.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Void

Silver

Post by Void » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:37 pm

Lawst wrote:
Don't get too down about this. Keep in mind that a permanent offer from any govt employer prior to graduation/bar passage is actually VERY rare, despite how much this website might make it seem. The normal hiring model for most PD offices is post-bar, or at least post-grad, and lots of places simply do not hire applicants who haven't at least volunteered yet. I know it feels terrible and urgent but believe me- it's not that bad. I graduated jobless and didnt get an offer until after I sat for the bar, and honestly it wasn't that terrible at all, especially since studying for the bar feels like an extra semester of law school anyway.

Keep your head up, and don't stop trying to improve that resume. Maximize your exposure to helping out in the real world. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
2nd round after EJW? How'd they notify you, if you don't mind my asking?
Phone call.

3L thread said that some 2Ls have been contacted post EJW, but not sure if they were referring to NH or CO.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
2nd round after EJW? How'd they notify you, if you don't mind my asking?
Phone call.

3L thread said that some 2Ls have been contacted post EJW, but not sure if they were referring to NH or CO.
Wait so is this NH or CO?

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:39 pm

From what I have gathered, CO has a lot of PD jobs because the state legislature recently expanded the funding for it, right?

Is that why other states, with not huge job markets, like NH, KY, etc. are widely discussed on here?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Wait so is this NH or CO?
CO.

Not me, but a quote from the 3L PD thread http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &start=400:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got a second round interview from Colorado earlier this week, and a second round interview from NHPD today.
Did you interview at EJW? I've only heard they contacted 2Ls
Yes, I interviewed through EJW for both.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:14 pm

Has anyone heard from CO that applied regularly?

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:21 pm

Anyone know anything about Rhode Island, Connecticut, Delaware or Vermont state public defense systems? My plan is to just send them my resume etc. saying that I would be interested in a full-time position or possibly a volunteer attorney position but I'm wondering when the best time to do this would be, I kinda feel like now would be too early.

Also, anyone hear back from palm beach? I applied directly and did their table talk but haven't heard a peep.

Lawst

Silver

Post by Lawst » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:04 am

FlanAl wrote:Anyone know anything about Rhode Island, Connecticut, Delaware or Vermont state public defense systems? My plan is to just send them my resume etc. saying that I would be interested in a full-time position or possibly a volunteer attorney position but I'm wondering when the best time to do this would be, I kinda feel like now would be too early.

Also, anyone hear back from palm beach? I applied directly and did their table talk but haven't heard a peep.
If you table talked with Palm Beach were you supposed to follow up with an online application? Same question about Colorado, actually.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:32 am

Lawst wrote:
FlanAl wrote:Anyone know anything about Rhode Island, Connecticut, Delaware or Vermont state public defense systems? My plan is to just send them my resume etc. saying that I would be interested in a full-time position or possibly a volunteer attorney position but I'm wondering when the best time to do this would be, I kinda feel like now would be too early.

If you table talked with Palm Beach were you supposed to follow up with an online application? Same question about Colorado, actually.
Colorado made me feel like I wasn't supposed to follow up other than with the person I talked to. I really liked the palm beach people and just wanted to make sure I covered all the bases. I followed up with the person I talked to and then sent an email to the employment person listed on their site mentioning the table talk etc. I still haven't heard back.

Lawst

Silver

Post by Lawst » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:39 pm

FlanAl wrote:
Lawst wrote:

Colorado made me feel like I wasn't supposed to follow up other than with the person I talked to. I really liked the palm beach people and just wanted to make sure I covered all the bases. I followed up with the person I talked to and then sent an email to the employment person listed on their site mentioning the table talk etc. I still haven't heard back.
Yeah, maybe I should too, just to be safe. I also liked the Palm Beach people, and the iPad photo thing was very clever.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:24 pm

Decided to get rid of that post because I submitted the app and don't want to second guess myself now haha.

BUT has anyone started emailing like continued interest emails to people? I applied to Bronx about a month ago and haven't heard a thing and was kind of thinking about reminding them of my existence. Also, how long do you think we should wait before totally showing our cards and telling offices that we will work there for free for like 6 months if they'll let us.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:42 am

FlanAl wrote:Decided to get rid of that post because I submitted the app and don't want to second guess myself now haha.

BUT has anyone started emailing like continued interest emails to people? I applied to Bronx about a month ago and haven't heard a thing and was kind of thinking about reminding them of my existence. Also, how long do you think we should wait before totally showing our cards and telling offices that we will work there for free for like 6 months if they'll let us.

titcq. my school offers a fellowship for public interest where they will pay us to volunteer at an office. dont exactly know when i should bring that up. I know the place i'm at now will keep me on after graduation under the program but i'd rather use it at a place i'd like to work at full time if i cant get a job there off the bat.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:35 am

FlanAl wrote:Decided to get rid of that post because I submitted the app and don't want to second guess myself now haha.

Many offices don't start interviewing seriously until the new year. I'd try to figure out through your career services office or alumni when these offices do their hiring so you're not overwhelming them with messages before then.

Re: Bronx Defenders, I've been told they don't start interviewing 3Ls until late November. I know many people who have interned there and applied as 3Ls, yet none have heard about interviews yet. Since Bronx prefers former interns, the fact that none of those people have heard anything may be a decent indication that they're not yet inviting people to interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Many offices don't start interviewing seriously until the new year. I'd try to figure out through your career services office or alumni when these offices do their hiring so you're not overwhelming them with messages before then.

Re: Bronx Defenders, I've been told they don't start interviewing 3Ls until late November. I know many people who have interned there and applied as 3Ls, yet none have heard about interviews yet. Since Bronx prefers former interns, the fact that none of those people have heard anything may be a decent indication that they're not yet inviting people to interview.
^^ Credited only like 5 or so interns have heard back already

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:15 pm

has anyone heard about first interviews with contra costa for a post bar position? apparently they were supposed to start notifying us in november...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:has anyone heard about first interviews with contra costa for a post bar position? apparently they were supposed to start notifying us in november...
do they have an official post bar program? i looked around and couldn't find anything so i just emailed my materials to the contact info they have listed for law clerks. havent gotten a response though.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”