How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:01 pm

kastane23 wrote:For those asking about the LAS interview process, I've been through the entire thing (not hired, by any stretch, I just went through the process already), so I am happy to share my information.

LAS is doing things differently this year. You have the panel interview with the hypos, they assess you, then all of your application materials & panel assessment go back to a committee of hiring attorneys who then decide if you have a final interview w/ Tina (who is very nice & warm). She told me I would hear back mid-December, but I'm not sure about that since budget is always a concern.

As far as the panel goes, have your summation MEMORIZED. I ended up forgetting half of my printed out summation at home, so I just had three points in highlighter in front of me. I didn't look at it once. Maintain eye contact, etc.

The hypo answers can vary, just be yourself and take it seriously. I very much botched a random question about pleas, but I stuck to my guns and I didn't let it influence the rest of my interview. My interviewers gave me some cues as well- I watched their expressions and body language to see if I was going in the right direction. Treat it seriously. I talked to my male interviewer as if he were my female client. Listen to the questions and ask them to repeat if necessary. The two men I had were intimidating at first, but as the interview progressed, they warmed up. Don't let their attitudes throw you off.

Also if you have any real world experience that parallels a question, make sure to use that in your response. Whenever I did that, they seemed to like and relate to my answer more.

Know your writing sample. They asked me about my writing sample, why I made the arguments I made and which argument I thought was the weakest argument. They focused on the weakness rather than the strength of some of the arguments in the writing sample.

Also, acknowledge that public defense isn't all roses. They asked me what I would do if I lost a case. Have an answer. LAS is very collegial- so incorporating something like "maybe one of my co-workers won a motion that day- so at least I know they won the fight." They want to know that this isn't about your an your victories- but public defense and fighting the good fight.

At then end, I asked them some questions about how they liked the job, what the job entails, and how they personally cope with the stress.

Lastly, do not under any circumstance, say you are nervous. Don't mention it once. Don't giggle about it, don't keep emphasizing your nerves. They want to see how you're going to hold up in a court room w/ a judge, a gallery and your client right next to you. They don't think it's cute and they are not as sympathetic as they might seem during the interview (this is not my personal opinion, but comes from an inside source).

Hope this helps. This process is nerve-wracking and tiring, so good luck!


mind sharing what the interview with Tina is like?

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby spleenworship » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got an emailed rejection from NH PDs for post-grad job. Not surprised. My grades are well below what they want, so I wasn't sure why they selected me for an interview at EJW to begin with.


All the same, Sorry dude or dudette.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:31 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got an emailed rejection from NH PDs for post-grad job. Not surprised. My grades are well below what they want, so I wasn't sure why they selected me for an interview at EJW to begin with.


All the same, Sorry dude or dudette.


Thanks. I didn't get a great feeling from the interview itself. I'm glad they at least gave me an answer quickly.

kastane23
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:03 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby kastane23 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
kastane23 wrote:For those asking about the LAS interview process, I've been through the entire thing (not hired, by any stretch, I just went through the process already), so I am happy to share my information.

LAS is doing things differently this year. You have the panel interview with the hypos, they assess you, then all of your application materials & panel assessment go back to a committee of hiring attorneys who then decide if you have a final interview w/ Tina (who is very nice & warm). She told me I would hear back mid-December, but I'm not sure about that since budget is always a concern.

As far as the panel goes, have your summation MEMORIZED. I ended up forgetting half of my printed out summation at home, so I just had three points in highlighter in front of me. I didn't look at it once. Maintain eye contact, etc.

The hypo answers can vary, just be yourself and take it seriously. I very much botched a random question about pleas, but I stuck to my guns and I didn't let it influence the rest of my interview. My interviewers gave me some cues as well- I watched their expressions and body language to see if I was going in the right direction. Treat it seriously. I talked to my male interviewer as if he were my female client. Listen to the questions and ask them to repeat if necessary. The two men I had were intimidating at first, but as the interview progressed, they warmed up. Don't let their attitudes throw you off.

Also if you have any real world experience that parallels a question, make sure to use that in your response. Whenever I did that, they seemed to like and relate to my answer more.

Know your writing sample. They asked me about my writing sample, why I made the arguments I made and which argument I thought was the weakest argument. They focused on the weakness rather than the strength of some of the arguments in the writing sample.

Also, acknowledge that public defense isn't all roses. They asked me what I would do if I lost a case. Have an answer. LAS is very collegial- so incorporating something like "maybe one of my co-workers won a motion that day- so at least I know they won the fight." They want to know that this isn't about your an your victories- but public defense and fighting the good fight.

At then end, I asked them some questions about how they liked the job, what the job entails, and how they personally cope with the stress.

Lastly, do not under any circumstance, say you are nervous. Don't mention it once. Don't giggle about it, don't keep emphasizing your nerves. They want to see how you're going to hold up in a court room w/ a judge, a gallery and your client right next to you. They don't think it's cute and they are not as sympathetic as they might seem during the interview (this is not my personal opinion, but comes from an inside source).

Hope this helps. This process is nerve-wracking and tiring, so good luck!


mind sharing what the interview with Tina is like?



it's short, no hypos or anything.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:03 pm

Placed on Eligible List for San diego PD 1 with a score of 85...
Hopeless? Thoughts?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:23 am

Emailed alameda today and got a reply: I know this has taken much longer than expected. Please keep in touch, I will make a decision soon.

No idea what this means. Should I give up hope?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:22 pm

Got Miami PD 2nd round interview. What should I expect?

ETA: I'm interviewing for post grad- I'm a 3L
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:35 pm

edit.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got CO 2nd rd (2L). Tips?


2nd round after EJW? How'd they notify you, if you don't mind my asking?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got Miami PD 2nd round interview. What should I expect?

ETA: I'm interviewing for post grad- I'm a 3L


Did you interview at EJW? How did they notify you?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got Miami PD 2nd round interview. What should I expect?

ETA: I'm interviewing for post grad- I'm a 3L


Did you interview at EJW? How did they notify you?


Table talked at EJW. Emailed and asked for an interview as they told me to do. A couple days later they requested an interview.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got Miami PD 2nd round interview. What should I expect?

ETA: I'm interviewing for post grad- I'm a 3L


Did you interview at EJW? How did they notify you?


Table talked at EJW. Emailed and asked for an interview as they told me to do. A couple days later they requested an interview.


Wow, that's great. I was selected for an interview at EJW and I haven't heard a thing yet, which probably doesn't bode well.

I also had a similar Table Talk experience with a different PD's office, and I followed up with an email and haven't heard.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:17 pm

started applying to PD offices. Wouldnt mind seeing their reactions when/if they open my materials and see a resume with nothing but prosecution experience.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby spleenworship » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:started applying to PD offices. Wouldnt mind seeing their reactions when/if they open my materials and see a resume with nothing but prosecution experience.



Good luck anon. Good luck!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got Miami PD 2nd round interview. What should I expect?

ETA: I'm interviewing for post grad- I'm a 3L


Did you interview at EJW? How did they notify you?

I table talked too and got a guaranteed interview which I'm guessing is a second round, at the Midwest Conference and Career Fair. He said if I got an offer earlier to call him and schedule something sooner.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got Miami PD 2nd round interview. What should I expect?

ETA: I'm interviewing for post grad- I'm a 3L


Did you interview at EJW? How did they notify you?

I table talked too and got a guaranteed interview which I'm guessing is a second round, at the Midwest Conference and Career Fair. He said if I got an offer earlier to call him and schedule something sooner.



Cool!

Seriously though, anybody know what to expect from this?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:44 pm

I'm interviewing for post-grad position. I had interview with Miami at EJW. Just heard back today via email setting up second round. I'm also curious what to expect? Also, any idea on what our odds are now?

I didn't get to even talk to Colorado at EJW. Has anyone heard back from Colorado that didn't interview with them at EJW?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm interviewing for post-grad position. I had interview with Miami at EJW. Just heard back today via email setting up second round. I'm also curious what to expect? Also, any idea on what our odds are now?

I didn't get to even talk to Colorado at EJW. Has anyone heard back from Colorado that didn't interview with them at EJW?

I was told 2.5 weeks ago to expect interview requests to go out in a week. Yeah...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm interviewing for post-grad position. I had interview with Miami at EJW. Just heard back today via email setting up second round. I'm also curious what to expect? Also, any idea on what our odds are now?

I didn't get to even talk to Colorado at EJW. Has anyone heard back from Colorado that didn't interview with them at EJW?

I was told 2.5 weeks ago to expect interview requests to go out in a week. Yeah...


I interviewed with them at EJW and still haven't heard back.

Per other posters it takes them a while to get back to anyone.


On another note, the KY State HR is difficult to deal with.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm interviewing for post-grad position. I had interview with Miami at EJW. Just heard back today via email setting up second round. I'm also curious what to expect? Also, any idea on what our odds are now?

I didn't get to even talk to Colorado at EJW. Has anyone heard back from Colorado that didn't interview with them at EJW?

I was told 2.5 weeks ago to expect interview requests to go out in a week. Yeah...


I interviewed with them at EJW and still haven't heard back.

Per other posters it takes them a while to get back to anyone.


On another note, the KY State HR is difficult to deal with.

Did you hear back from KY?

User avatar
Pretzel_Logic
Posts: 7797
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:started applying to PD offices. Wouldnt mind seeing their reactions when/if they open my materials and see a resume with nothing but prosecution experience.


I'm going to have to do this will similar credentials. Not sure it'll go over.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm interviewing for post-grad position. I had interview with Miami at EJW. Just heard back today via email setting up second round. I'm also curious what to expect? Also, any idea on what our odds are now?

I didn't get to even talk to Colorado at EJW. Has anyone heard back from Colorado that didn't interview with them at EJW?

I was told 2.5 weeks ago to expect interview requests to go out in a week. Yeah...


I interviewed with them at EJW and still haven't heard back.

Per other posters it takes them a while to get back to anyone.


On another note, the KY State HR is difficult to deal with.

Did you hear back from KY?


So my understanding is that if you pass the first round they have you apply through state HR to the counties you'd work in. Then when openings in those counties happen someone from that office contacts you or an interview. This probably won't happen until late spring or early summer. Which seems pretty late to me.

User avatar
BlueLotus
Posts: 2428
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:07 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby BlueLotus » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:24 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:started applying to PD offices. Wouldnt mind seeing their reactions when/if they open my materials and see a resume with nothing but prosecution experience.



Good luck anon. Good luck!


i chanced upon this Linkedin profile a couple of days ago. this woman has a shitton of victim advocacy experience, yet somehow wound up at a PD's office. i was rather surprised:

http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id ... %3Aprimary

I mean, she has great grades and PI experience, but i was under the impression that PDs hated anything that could be construed as prosecution-friendly.

so anon, don't lose hope. GL!

User avatar
Pretzel_Logic
Posts: 7797
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So my understanding is that if you pass the first round they have you apply through state HR to the counties you'd work in. Then when openings in those counties happen someone from that office contacts you or an interview. This probably won't happen until late spring or early summer. Which seems pretty late to me.


this is correct. It may be faster if you're barred already (but I think you're talking EJW).

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby spleenworship » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:25 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:started applying to PD offices. Wouldnt mind seeing their reactions when/if they open my materials and see a resume with nothing but prosecution experience.


I'm going to have to do this will similar credentials. Not sure it'll go over.


I got a lot of questions about my 1L summer at a prosecutors office. They seemed skeptical of me. Just FYI.

PM me if you are looking for a post bar DA position in BFE. I know of a few.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.