How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273091
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:No EJW connection, they are doing screeners at my school because an alum who works for them is giving a talk here next week.


I interviewed (not table talk) with NH at JEW, have crappy grades (bottom 1/3rd-ish at MVP) but demonstrated PD/PI interest. It was a really easy, friendly interview, they didn't ask any hard questions.



First off, it's EJW :lol:

Second, have you heard from them yet?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273091
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
First off, it's EJW :lol:

Second, have you heard from them yet?


lol, unfortunate typo. No word yet. I wouldn't expect anything for a few weeks.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273091
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:No EJW connection, they are doing screeners at my school because an alum who works for them is giving a talk here next week.


I interviewed (not table talk) with NH at JEW, have crappy grades (bottom 1/3rd-ish at MVP) but demonstrated PD/PI interest. It was a really easy, friendly interview, they didn't ask any hard questions.


Great! yeah I talked to them at table talk before I knew if I got an interview at my school and they seemed really nice. My interview at school is only supposed to be 20 minutes so I figured it would be friendly but just wanted to make sure. I've got a ton of other work but I would have done a quick evidence outline go over or whatever.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby spleenworship » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:No EJW connection, they are doing screeners at my school because an alum who works for them is giving a talk here next week.


I interviewed (not table talk) with NH at JEW, have crappy grades (bottom 1/3rd-ish at MVP) but demonstrated PD/PI interest. It was a really easy, friendly interview, they didn't ask any hard questions.


Great! yeah I talked to them at table talk before I knew if I got an interview at my school and they seemed really nice. My interview at school is only supposed to be 20 minutes so I figured it would be friendly but just wanted to make sure. I've got a ton of other work but I would have done a quick evidence outline go over or whatever.


When you get a chance you probably should go over evidence again though. Even if NH doesn't do hypos, other offices do. So if you are going to go the PD route, you're going to need to be good at evidence and trial practices.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273091
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
FlanAl wrote:I just got a first round interview with legal aid. They want me to do a hypothetical summation. Is there another hypothetical in the second round or did I get to skip the technically 1st round interview by talking to them at table talk?


From what I've heard, there shouldn't be another hypothetical round. I think there is no "first" round. I had a screening interview with them at my school, just a formality. I think they read resumes, cut a bunch of people, and then give out the hypo interviews. After that, I think whether you get another interview is very important-- as that is the last interview and is basically a formality. But again, just hearsay.


How many people get a third round interview usually?


That, I couldn't tell you. I think it's usually the people who are shoo-ins. So my guess is approximately the number of people they hope to hire.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273091
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:48 pm

Void wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Void wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:has anyone gotten a kind of unclear letter from NJ? Not an outright rejection or anything, but just wondering if anyone else had gotten something after interviews.


I got one of these a year ago. Does it basically say "we were impressed with your interview and invite you to apply to the unpaid post-grad internship program?"


No it says we were impressed but because of the nature of the process, it's premature to offer you another interview at this time. Please email xyz to let us know you're still interested in remaining in our applicant pool.


They're weird. They told me that they don't hire any post grads before they pass the NJ bar, but a few people on here claim to have received post-grad offers even before graduation!

I'm glad I found a job because I'm still waiting on NJ bar results. That would have been a lonnnnng wait.


I'm pretty sure that's not true. They told me and other people that they hire pre-bar.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273091
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
FlanAl wrote:I just got a first round interview with legal aid. They want me to do a hypothetical summation. Is there another hypothetical in the second round or did I get to skip the technically 1st round interview by talking to them at table talk?


From what I've heard, there shouldn't be another hypothetical round. I think there is no "first" round. I had a screening interview with them at my school, just a formality. I think they read resumes, cut a bunch of people, and then give out the hypo interviews. After that, I think whether you get another interview is very important-- as that is the last interview and is basically a formality. But again, just hearsay.


Which legal aid? Curious about the Orange County/LA process...

New York

Anonymous User
Posts: 273091
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any tips for New Hampshire public defender screener interviews? Did they bring up grades in the screener? They didn't ask for a transcript. I have a pretty bad grade in evidence and if you asked me an evidence question right now I'd have no idea how to answer it so hopefully they just asked about bad grades in general…


I had an on campus screener. They asked about my GPA generally, but not specific classes.



Anyone heard back from NH yet??

Anonymous User
Posts: 273091
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:13 pm

spleenworship wrote:
When you get a chance you probably should go over evidence again though. Even if NH doesn't do hypos, other offices do. So if you are going to go the PD route, you're going to need to be good at evidence and trial practices.


Was definitely planning on it, I'm taking trial advocacy next semester as well and planned to brush up on evidence before doing that. I was able to get a pretty solid grasp of the practical application of it over my two summers etc.. My grades suck overall (crim and crimpro are as bad as evidence) but if they were to ask a crim pro question I'd be able to answer fairly confidently, evidence is tougher.

Any current PDs with tips on how to get better at evidence for practical use vs. me just re-reading fed evidence rules and my old outlines?

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Tanicius » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
When you get a chance you probably should go over evidence again though. Even if NH doesn't do hypos, other offices do. So if you are going to go the PD route, you're going to need to be good at evidence and trial practices.


Was definitely planning on it, I'm taking trial advocacy next semester as well and planned to brush up on evidence before doing that. I was able to get a pretty solid grasp of the practical application of it over my two summers etc.. My grades suck overall (crim and crimpro are as bad as evidence) but if they were to ask a crim pro question I'd be able to answer fairly confidently, evidence is tougher.

Any current PDs with tips on how to get better at evidence for practical use vs. me just re-reading fed evidence rules and my old outlines?



Reading through the FRE a lot is what helps me. But don't read it as a task. Read it on the toilet, read it when you're waiting for a movie to download, read it when you're waiting for your noodles to boil. Just pick a rule or a series of exceptions and read through them for five or ten minutes.

Also, when you craft your directs and crosses and stuff in your trial class, issue spot the objections you expect and look up the rules, either to design responses to objections ahead of time or to design questions that won't get objected to.

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby FlanAl » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:35 pm

Anyone have any thoughts on how die hard to come across in these interviews? I know that some really want true believers that will do basically anything for clients but what about other offices? My cover letter is fairly militant but I worry that true believer status might not be as great for certain offices.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273091
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
FlanAl wrote:I just got a first round interview with legal aid. They want me to do a hypothetical summation. Is there another hypothetical in the second round or did I get to skip the technically 1st round interview by talking to them at table talk?


From what I've heard, there shouldn't be another hypothetical round. I think there is no "first" round. I had a screening interview with them at my school, just a formality. I think they read resumes, cut a bunch of people, and then give out the hypo interviews. After that, I think whether you get another interview is very important-- as that is the last interview and is basically a formality. But again, just hearsay.


How many people get a third round interview usually?


That, I couldn't tell you. I think it's usually the people who are shoo-ins. So my guess is approximately the number of people they hope to hire.


What do you mean by shoo in? What qualifications?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273091
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:What do you mean by shoo in? What qualifications?


It's not about qualifications, it's about whether they like you. I've seen plenty of my classmates who are very qualified get rejections from a lot of places. It's really about whether Legal Aid likes you. And thinks you are passionate about this. You should probably have not insignificant experience with client work, criminal law, and defense work. Beyond that, it's arbitrary. That's what I'm getting from this whole process, is that it's impossible to know/guess. It's just so arbitrary.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby spleenworship » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:41 pm

FlanAl wrote:Anyone have any thoughts on how die hard to come across in these interviews? I know that some really want true believers that will do basically anything for clients but what about other offices? My cover letter is fairly militant but I worry that true believer status might not be as great for certain offices.


I wonder how much it's office by office.

Somebody with time on their hands needs to comb through this thread and see what they can find, then put it in a Spreadsheet. Do we have anything we can offer 0Ls?

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby FlanAl » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
From what I've heard, there shouldn't be another hypothetical round. I think there is no "first" round. I had a screening interview with them at my school, just a formality. I think they read resumes, cut a bunch of people, and then give out the hypo interviews. After that, I think whether you get another interview is very important-- as that is the last interview and is basically a formality. But again, just hearsay.


How many people get a third round interview usually?


That, I couldn't tell you. I think it's usually the people who are shoo-ins. So my guess is approximately the number of people they hope to hire.


What do you mean by shoo in? What qualifications?

I think they mean shoo in in that the third round interview is mostly just a formality and that you get the job primarily based on the interview with the hypothetical.

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Tanicius » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What do you mean by shoo in? What qualifications?


It's not about qualifications, it's about whether they like you. I've seen plenty of my classmates who are very qualified get rejections from a lot of places. It's really about whether Legal Aid likes you. And thinks you are passionate about this. You should probably have not insignificant experience with client work, criminal law, and defense work. Beyond that, it's arbitrary. That's what I'm getting from this whole process, is that it's impossible to know/guess. It's just so arbitrary.



Agreed. This is something that's been giving my difficulty too. I don't know going in what I can do in this interview as opposed to this other interview that will make one office like me more than any other type of candidate with good credentials. There are too many of us, period, and they're going to pick whoever just suits their fancy based on first impressions.

User avatar
kay2016
Posts: 1121
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:23 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby kay2016 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:20 pm

spleenworship wrote:
FlanAl wrote:Anyone have any thoughts on how die hard to come across in these interviews? I know that some really want true believers that will do basically anything for clients but what about other offices? My cover letter is fairly militant but I worry that true believer status might not be as great for certain offices.


I wonder how much it's office by office.

Somebody with time on their hands needs to comb through this thread and see what they can find, then put it in a Spreadsheet. Do we have anything we can offer 0Ls?



I've been looking through the thread this month (about 70 pages through) and haven't seen anything like that.. Granted I'm DA focused so I may have missed some PD things.. But nothing stood out

kastane23
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:03 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby kastane23 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:51 pm

I just want to say... I am 99% sure that a final interview with LAS does NOT make you a shoo-in. I just had mine, and she's now going back and asking all of my past employers about me and asked my current LAS supervisor about my "progress." While I wish that were the case, I don't want anyone to stop looking for a job because they got a final interview with LAS.

As far as Jersey, I worked in an office this summer and my supervisor told me they are NOW accepting pre-bar candidates. She told me to apply in January?

Additionally, has anyone heard from the Bronx or BDS? I haven't heard anything from either place, and I had an interview with BDS a few weeks ago. Any help appreciated!

User avatar
paisaaa
Posts: 132
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby paisaaa » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:57 pm

kastane23 wrote:I just want to say... I am 99% sure that a final interview with LAS does NOT make you a shoo-in. I just had mine, and she's now going back and asking all of my past employers about me and asked my current LAS supervisor about my "progress." While I wish that were the case, I don't want anyone to stop looking for a job because they got a final interview with LAS.

As far as Jersey, I worked in an office this summer and my supervisor told me they are NOW accepting pre-bar candidates. She told me to apply in January?

Additionally, has anyone heard from the Bronx or BDS? I haven't heard anything from either place, and I had an interview with BDS a few weeks ago. Any help appreciated!


Bronx said EJW was the first of many fairs they were attending and warned candidates they won't be sitting down to make next-round decisions until December.

Good luck!

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Tanicius » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:37 pm

kastane23 wrote:I just want to say... I am 99% sure that a final interview with LAS does NOT make you a shoo-in. I just had mine, and she's now going back and asking all of my past employers about me and asked my current LAS supervisor about my "progress." While I wish that were the case, I don't want anyone to stop looking for a job because they got a final interview with LAS.

As far as Jersey, I worked in an office this summer and my supervisor told me they are NOW accepting pre-bar candidates. She told me to apply in January?

Additionally, has anyone heard from the Bronx or BDS? I haven't heard anything from either place, and I had an interview with BDS a few weeks ago. Any help appreciated!



Interviewed with BDS at EJW. They seemed completely disinterested, so I'm not expecting anything from them.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273091
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:46 pm

kastane23 wrote:I just want to say... I am 99% sure that a final interview with LAS does NOT make you a shoo-in. I just had mine, and she's now going back and asking all of my past employers about me and asked my current LAS supervisor about my "progress." While I wish that were the case, I don't want anyone to stop looking for a job because they got a final interview with LAS.

As far as Jersey, I worked in an office this summer and my supervisor told me they are NOW accepting pre-bar candidates. She told me to apply in January?

Additionally, has anyone heard from the Bronx or BDS? I haven't heard anything from either place, and I had an interview with BDS a few weeks ago. Any help appreciated!

I had my follow up with jersey recently and was told I will be notified soon if I get an early offer or not. They said they hire 4-5 pre bar rest are post bar. Craziest interview I have ever had!!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273091
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:48 pm

ding from Alemeda county 2L summer internship, interviewed back in August, nice of them to get back to me.

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby FlanAl » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
kastane23 wrote:I just want to say... I am 99% sure that a final interview with LAS does NOT make you a shoo-in. I just had mine, and she's now going back and asking all of my past employers about me and asked my current LAS supervisor about my "progress." While I wish that were the case, I don't want anyone to stop looking for a job because they got a final interview with LAS.

As far as Jersey, I worked in an office this summer and my supervisor told me they are NOW accepting pre-bar candidates. She told me to apply in January?

Additionally, has anyone heard from the Bronx or BDS? I haven't heard anything from either place, and I had an interview with BDS a few weeks ago. Any help appreciated!

I had my follow up with jersey recently and was told I will be notified soon if I get an early offer or not. They said they hire 4-5 pre bar rest are post bar. Craziest interview I have ever had!!


What was crazy about it? I have my first interview with them on Thursday.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273091
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:06 pm

FlanAl wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
kastane23 wrote:I just want to say... I am 99% sure that a final interview with LAS does NOT make you a shoo-in. I just had mine, and she's now going back and asking all of my past employers about me and asked my current LAS supervisor about my "progress." While I wish that were the case, I don't want anyone to stop looking for a job because they got a final interview with LAS.

As far as Jersey, I worked in an office this summer and my supervisor told me they are NOW accepting pre-bar candidates. She told me to apply in January?

Additionally, has anyone heard from the Bronx or BDS? I haven't heard anything from either place, and I had an interview with BDS a few weeks ago. Any help appreciated!

I had my follow up with jersey recently and was told I will be notified soon if I get an early offer or not. They said they hire 4-5 pre bar rest are post bar. Craziest interview I have ever had!!


What was crazy about it? I have my first interview with them on Thursday.


It was very intense. They tell u to stick with your instincts but then say if they push u they want u to change your answer. Very confusing. Plus they grill you on the hypo and I mean grill you. It wasn't pleasant

Anonymous User
Posts: 273091
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:08 pm

Ugh just had an interview at legal aid and idk how I feel about it. Interviewer said I did good when I asked for advice but I have this feeling my summation wasn't super awesome, ugh fucking nerves man! They were very nice and laughed with me though... Ahhh! I'm hoping I didn't fuck up




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.