How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273585
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:anyone hear back from CO ejw (2L)?


Is this for offers or second rounders?


My interviewer told me that mostly the next contact would be making offers, that at most there might be some kind of phone/skype discussion. That's for the paid 2L internships. More waiting to hear about the unpaid internships.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby spleenworship » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:26 pm

Borhas wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:anyone hear back from CO ejw (2L)?


They told me they wouldn't be contacting people until December, if I recall correctly.


they didn't get back to me until May, and I still don't know where I am going to be placed

oh wait, yeah I was a 3L last year



Wait... CO didn't get back to you until May after EJW? Did they interview you before then or anything? I'm gonna need to put deposits down on the bar and stuff WAY before May...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273585
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:47 pm

Kentucky DPA's application on the state website is objectively stupid. They want me to list my last 12 positions held, all my degrees, how many credit hours at each institution, etc.

The lady kind of warned me at EJW, but seriously? I don't really want to spend 2-3 hours filling out an application for a job I might not get when that job is in BFE hillbilly country.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273585
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:06 pm

Sorry to keep asking, but did anyone else apply for the San Diego PD1 Position? Any news?
Has anyone applied before? Any tips if I make the next round?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273585
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:37 pm

Does anyone know what is going on with the public defender offices in Seattle? Will they be hiring any 3Ls? Any information about surrounding counties? thanks!

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4862
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Borhas » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:07 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Borhas wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:anyone hear back from CO ejw (2L)?


They told me they wouldn't be contacting people until December, if I recall correctly.


they didn't get back to me until May, and I still don't know where I am going to be placed

oh wait, yeah I was a 3L last year



Wait... CO didn't get back to you until May after EJW? Did they interview you before then or anything? I'm gonna need to put deposits down on the bar and stuff WAY before May...


They got an increased budget and offered a second round of jobs. The folks they offered in the first round heard several months before the second rounders and they are working now I think. But, none of the new money is available until January so the we're just sitting on our hands. I lost out on CA bar costs and had to sign up for CO bar late.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273585
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:30 pm

Void wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:has anyone gotten a kind of unclear letter from NJ? Not an outright rejection or anything, but just wondering if anyone else had gotten something after interviews.


I got one of these a year ago. Does it basically say "we were impressed with your interview and invite you to apply to the unpaid post-grad internship program?"


No it says we were impressed but because of the nature of the process, it's premature to offer you another interview at this time. Please email xyz to let us know you're still interested in remaining in our applicant pool.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273585
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:32 pm

FlanAl wrote:I just got a first round interview with legal aid. They want me to do a hypothetical summation. Is there another hypothetical in the second round or did I get to skip the technically 1st round interview by talking to them at table talk?


From what I've heard, there shouldn't be another hypothetical round. I think there is no "first" round. I had a screening interview with them at my school, just a formality. I think they read resumes, cut a bunch of people, and then give out the hypo interviews. After that, I think whether you get another interview is very important-- as that is the last interview and is basically a formality. But again, just hearsay.

Void
Posts: 857
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:56 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Void » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Void wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:has anyone gotten a kind of unclear letter from NJ? Not an outright rejection or anything, but just wondering if anyone else had gotten something after interviews.


I got one of these a year ago. Does it basically say "we were impressed with your interview and invite you to apply to the unpaid post-grad internship program?"


No it says we were impressed but because of the nature of the process, it's premature to offer you another interview at this time. Please email xyz to let us know you're still interested in remaining in our applicant pool.


They're weird. They told me that they don't hire any post grads before they pass the NJ bar, but a few people on here claim to have received post-grad offers even before graduation!

I'm glad I found a job because I'm still waiting on NJ bar results. That would have been a lonnnnng wait.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273585
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
FlanAl wrote:I just got a first round interview with legal aid. They want me to do a hypothetical summation. Is there another hypothetical in the second round or did I get to skip the technically 1st round interview by talking to them at table talk?


From what I've heard, there shouldn't be another hypothetical round. I think there is no "first" round. I had a screening interview with them at my school, just a formality. I think they read resumes, cut a bunch of people, and then give out the hypo interviews. After that, I think whether you get another interview is very important-- as that is the last interview and is basically a formality. But again, just hearsay.


Which legal aid? Curious about the Orange County/LA process...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273585
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:23 pm

Sooo....did anyone else apply to LAS on the absolute last day, thereby likely spoiling any slim chance they may have had at snagging their dream job because my god that questionnaire just caused such anxiety for no apparent reason? Oh, just me? OK, then.

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby FlanAl » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:04 pm

I applied last thursday just so that I'd have it submitted in time to table talk at EJW, I got an email for an interview on Thursday so my guess is that turning it in on the last day is totally fine. I started working on the questionnaire in August but for whatever reason it totally stressed me out too. CPCS in Massachusetts also has a long questionnaire and the questions are different enough that you can't just copy and paste the legal aid ones, huge bummer.

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby FlanAl » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:06 pm

Void wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Void wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:has anyone gotten a kind of unclear letter from NJ? Not an outright rejection or anything, but just wondering if anyone else had gotten something after interviews.


I got one of these a year ago. Does it basically say "we were impressed with your interview and invite you to apply to the unpaid post-grad internship program?"


No it says we were impressed but because of the nature of the process, it's premature to offer you another interview at this time. Please email xyz to let us know you're still interested in remaining in our applicant pool.


They're weird. They told me that they don't hire any post grads before they pass the NJ bar, but a few people on here claim to have received post-grad offers even before graduation!

I'm glad I found a job because I'm still waiting on NJ bar results. That would have been a lonnnnng wait.


I've heard you get an offer to volunteer for them until bar results come out and are guaranteed a job if you pass the bar.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273585
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
FlanAl wrote:I just got a first round interview with legal aid. They want me to do a hypothetical summation. Is there another hypothetical in the second round or did I get to skip the technically 1st round interview by talking to them at table talk?


From what I've heard, there shouldn't be another hypothetical round. I think there is no "first" round. I had a screening interview with them at my school, just a formality. I think they read resumes, cut a bunch of people, and then give out the hypo interviews. After that, I think whether you get another interview is very important-- as that is the last interview and is basically a formality. But again, just hearsay.


How many people get a third round interview usually?

Void
Posts: 857
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:56 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Void » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:20 pm

FlanAl wrote:
I've heard you get an offer to volunteer for them until bar results come out and are guaranteed a job if you pass the bar.


Maybe. But I actually asked whether I would at least have a decent shot at a permanent position, if I relocated to NJ in order to volunteer. They said they couldn't really predict their hiring needs, etc. I decided I couldn't relocate in order to work for free unless there was at least a probability that they would hire me, and since they wouldn't assure me of anything I continued applying elsewhere. Their model definitely makes sense if you're in NJ though.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273585
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:31 pm

FlanAl wrote:I applied last thursday just so that I'd have it submitted in time to table talk at EJW, I got an email for an interview on Thursday so my guess is that turning it in on the last day is totally fine. I started working on the questionnaire in August but for whatever reason it totally stressed me out too. CPCS in Massachusetts also has a long questionnaire and the questions are different enough that you can't just copy and paste the legal aid ones, huge bummer.


Good to know. I did not get it done before EJW and I detected a bit of annoyance when I stopped by Table Talk that I hadn't gotten it in yet. Besides being psyched out, I've had a lot of papers and projects due pretty much every week since mid-September, so it's been a pretty weird semester.

I don't remember a questionnaire for CPCS, so now I guess I will go stress about that and see if I can recall turning that in.

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby FlanAl » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:06 pm

Yeah, I didn't see it and just filled out the forms and submitted a writing sample etc. Then I got an email asking me to fill out this form that had:
"Briefly list any contexts where you served clients customers etc."
"What did you learn from that that would make you a good pd"

and like 4 other briefly list and explain what you learned questions.

Like you, I've had way more stuff to do this semester than I anticipated (plus a medical procedure that knocked me on my ass) so getting all the apps out has been pretty stressful.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273585
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:33 pm

FlanAl wrote:Yeah, I didn't see it and just filled out the forms and submitted a writing sample etc. Then I got an email asking me to fill out this form that had:
"Briefly list any contexts where you served clients customers etc."
"What did you learn from that that would make you a good pd"

and like 4 other briefly list and explain what you learned questions.

Like you, I've had way more stuff to do this semester than I anticipated (plus a medical procedure that knocked me on my ass) so getting all the apps out has been pretty stressful.


Huh. I didn't get that email, but they also haven't outright rejected me. I checked their website and I did indeed apply online a few weeks ago and submit resume, letter, and writing sample. It sounds like I'm in the "meh" pile but they're not at the point of rejecting people quite yet.

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby FlanAl » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:06 pm

weird, I got the email like right after I applied, like it was an automatic email. I had actually started filling the form out when I began applying and then forgot about it and submitted my app without finishing it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273585
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:30 am

FlanAl wrote:weird, I got the email like right after I applied, like it was an automatic email. I had actually started filling the form out when I began applying and then forgot about it and submitted my app without finishing it.


With my luck it went right into my spam folder and has since been deleted since it's been a few weeks. I just updated my profile - maybe it'll trigger something. Who knows.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273585
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:35 pm

Any tips for New Hampshire public defender screener interviews? Did they bring up grades in the screener? They didn't ask for a transcript. I have a pretty bad grade in evidence and if you asked me an evidence question right now I'd have no idea how to answer it so hopefully they just asked about bad grades in general…

Anonymous User
Posts: 273585
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any tips for New Hampshire public defender screener interviews? Did they bring up grades in the screener? They didn't ask for a transcript. I have a pretty bad grade in evidence and if you asked me an evidence question right now I'd have no idea how to answer it so hopefully they just asked about bad grades in general…


I can't answer, sorry, but I am wondering if this interview is EJW related?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273585
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:43 pm

No EJW connection, they are doing screeners at my school because an alum who works for them is giving a talk here next week.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273585
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:No EJW connection, they are doing screeners at my school because an alum who works for them is giving a talk here next week.



I don't know if this helps, but at my table talk with them at EJW it was super friendly and no hypos or talk about my grades.

That said, I'm top third with A-s or better in every relevant class, and that was on my resume. So YMMV.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273585
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:No EJW connection, they are doing screeners at my school because an alum who works for them is giving a talk here next week.


I interviewed (not table talk) with NH at JEW, have crappy grades (bottom 1/3rd-ish at MVP) but demonstrated PD/PI interest. It was a really easy, friendly interview, they didn't ask any hard questions.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.