How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:05 am

anon sequitur wrote:Why were the lines for Colorado so long? Are they really well regarded or is it just because they're hiring lots of interns?

" The Office of the Colorado Public Defender (OCPD) anticipates it will be hiring fifty (50) new public defenders who will beginning in the summer of 2014. "

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:59 am

Ended up talking to 6 employers. I think the table talks went better than the interviews.

I really enjoyed the guy from Mecklenburg.

Gonna start emailing follow ups this week. Please, let one of these guys hit me up with hiring before Jan. 10. My state has a $450 July bar C&f deposit due that day. Non-refundable to the best of my knowledge.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:24 pm

Anyone know about the 3L hiring process in Maryland? I know that the recent rulings regarding assistance during bail hearings has meant there have been openings, but would taking a 2L summer there help in possibly securing an offer at the end of the summer? I know that they don't do pre-bar hiring, but maybe the new ruling changes that?

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know about the 3L hiring process in Maryland? I know that the recent rulings regarding assistance during bail hearings has meant there have been openings, but would taking a 2L summer there help in possibly securing an offer at the end of the summer? I know that they don't do pre-bar hiring, but maybe the new ruling changes that?

Thanks!

They told me that after a 3L graduates and takes the bar is when they apply, and then they enter in a spring class once they are fully admitted and sworn in. If you graduate in may 2014, you probably won't start until march 2015.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:32 pm

Recently asked to follow up with LoRs for CPCS as well as transcript and writing samples. Hmmm....

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know about the 3L hiring process in Maryland? I know that the recent rulings regarding assistance during bail hearings has meant there have been openings, but would taking a 2L summer there help in possibly securing an offer at the end of the summer? I know that they don't do pre-bar hiring, but maybe the new ruling changes that?

Thanks!

They told me that after a 3L graduates and takes the bar is when they apply, and then they enter in a spring class once they are fully admitted and sworn in. If you graduate in may 2014, you probably won't start until march 2015.

Thanks. did they mention any pre-bar law clerk positions? im c/o 2015, so that would mean i wouldn't be eligible to work til march 2016..

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:32 pm

Borhas wrote:
JDCA2012 wrote:
Borhas wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any information on the public defender's hiring procedure in San Diego, Orange, or LA Counties? Any tips?

LA is unpaid post-bar internship, but the office hires a lot of its post-bars when they are licensed

no guarantees of course

San Diego has a paid post-bar program, and I'm pretty sure they hire them when they are licensed

LA - this is contrary to what I've heard, especially the situation now.
SD - they do hire out of it sometimes, but not guaranteed - example, they are interviewing for DDA I right now - and there is NO way they are hiring ALL of their post bars AND hiring outside DDA I's.

boarder78 wrote:I'm on the "Eligible List" for the San Diego DA's office. Does anyone have any info about this? They gave me a score (71) based on my application. I've looked through their HR page and have looked everywhere for info. Any help would be appreciated.

I believe they have already extended interview invitations to the people they wanted to come in to interview. I know a guy (2013 grad, I don't know if you were applying for Post Bar or DDA1) that got his score, etc, and interviewed there last week.

you seem to have better info than I do

Any idea what the pay is like for the San Diego PD post bar clerkship? I'm assuming it's hourly.

Also any idea when offers usually go out?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:57 pm

Yea, the pay is a bout $20 an hour or $43,500 annually. You get a ton of work and experiance, especially after the bar when you can appear on your own.

As for offers, the interview emails went out Friday afternoon. So if you did not get an email by now, likely you may have not had made the cut. Interviews from November 8 - November 15, decisions likely by November 27. Hope this helps!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:02 pm

Thanks for the info!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Recently asked to follow up with LoRs for CPCS as well as transcript and writing samples. Hmmm....

Oooh, that's good. I've gotten nothing but silence from them so far.

Anyone else get an email from Philly PDs acknowledging receipt of resume? I sent mine weeks ago but I think they're just getting around to looking things over now. Apparently if you don't hear from them by the end of 2013 they're not that into you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
anon sequitur wrote:Why were the lines for Colorado so long? Are they really well regarded or is it just because they're hiring lots of interns?

" The Office of the Colorado Public Defender (OCPD) anticipates it will be hiring fifty (50) new public defenders who will beginning in the summer of 2014. "

Anyone else find them really unfriendly during table talk? As in, why are you even waiting in line to talk to us?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Anyone else find them really unfriendly during table talk? As in, why are you even waiting in line to talk to us?

Maybe you caught them towards the end of their day? Not making excuses, just curious especially since my interviewer was friendly and I thought we had a pretty good rapport.

Still, wont get my hopes up, I've been burnt before.

fosterp

Postby fosterp » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:20 am

Last edited by fosterp on Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:03 am

fosterp wrote:What has this forums experience been with prosecution jobs?

If you haven't already, you should look into whether you can volunteer as a non-paid intern and pray it leads to a full-time position when there is an opening.

PD would be good, but it is super competitive and with your experience being so DA heavy, that is likely not a viable option either. I would say the best thing to do (if you can't get the internship) is to try to find some type of litigation work and keep in touch with the DA's office in case there is some opening.

Sorry to hear about your situation. I was in the same boat and it is really disappointing to lose your dream after working so hard towards it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

The lady I spoke with was super friendly but I talked to them at like 4pm when there was no line. I'm in school in the middle of nowhere so my why colorado was sort of "look I'll go wherever I have to for the best opportunities". Also, randomly like half my neighbors when I was growing up were from Colorado, so I was like I don't have ties but I grew up with best friends who'd visit from your state etc.. Even thought they were friendly, my guess is that I don't get a follow up interview with them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Recently asked to follow up with LoRs for CPCS as well as transcript and writing samples. Hmmm....

Oooh, that's good. I've gotten nothing but silence from them so far.

Anyone else get an email from Philly PDs acknowledging receipt of resume? I sent mine weeks ago but I think they're just getting around to looking things over now. Apparently if you don't hear from them by the end of 2013 they're not that into you.

For Philly, I just got the auto-reply acknowledging receipt of my materials immediately after I sent them. Nothing else since then (granted, I only submitted stuff last week).

Void

Postby Void » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:55 am

Nevermind
Last edited by Void on Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:38 pm

2L summer offer for AK PD from EJW.

2 weeks to reply - should I take it?

stats: TTT in midwest, at median, substantial crim defense experience, originally from northwest.

still waiting on CO, NOLA, and MD. want to take advantage of student practice rule, but would AK hurt my 3L applications for PD work in continental US?

specifically, really interested in CO's office and I think I could get the unpaid summer there if paid doesn't work out.

note: i did read a 4 year old thread that talked about working in AK, but that might not be as relevant anymore.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2L summer offer for AK PD from EJW.

2 weeks to reply - should I take it?

stats: TTT in midwest, at median, substantial crim defense experience, originally from northwest.

still waiting on CO, NOLA, and MD. want to take advantage of student practice rule, but would AK hurt my 3L applications for PD work in continental US?

specifically, really interested in CO's office and I think I could get the unpaid summer there if paid doesn't work out.

note: i did read a 4 year old thread that talked about working in AK, but that might not be as relevant anymore.

I had an offer in AK as a 2L, and I declined, still got a good offer that allowed third-year practice in another state. I think AK tends to offer much earlier than other offices, so it may be worth your while to hold off - especially since my offer came in spring (though it was in the more far-flung offices in the state by then).

The fact that you got a quick turnaround likely bodes well for your chances with other offices. If you would actually like to live in AK at some point, it makes sense because I think they may also extend permanent offers to interns, maybe. They also fly you out there, which helps, because otherwise it would be completely undoable from a financial standpoint.

I found as a 2L that I was able to extend deadlines (and hasten responses) much more than I would have guessed. I had six offers that came in very staggered, which made the process of choosing stressful, but I was able to make the best choice for me in the end. Good luck!

Also - regarding NOLA, you can't do third-year practice unless you go to school in Louisiana, so that's something to consider.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:helpful advice.

thanks for the advice! also, didnt realize that nola had such conditions - similar to MD's conditions on student practice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

thanks for the advice! also, didnt realize that nola had such conditions - similar to MD's conditions on student practice.

What are MD's on student practice? Do they allow 2L summer's to go to court and such?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What are MD's on student practice? Do they allow 2L summer's to go to court and such?

Same anon who gave advice on AK offer as a 2L - I'm not sure what MD's 2L conditions are, but it may be helpful to know that they don't hire you for post-grad when you're a 3L, meaning, you can't even apply under after you take the MD bar. I spoke with them at EJW, and though they were nice and all, I'm not that invested in Maryland that I'm going to take the bar and then get around to applying for a job and hope to get one. So.
I applied to them as a 2L and got no response at all. Now that I know that I know they don't even interview 3Ls, I don't even mind.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Poster who got AK offer. They told me that the student practice rule for MD was you could appear in court only if you were under the supervision of an in school clinic. Getting an externship credit would not satisfy the rule as well.

Scroll up and you'll see that you'll need to wait at least a year after your 2L summer to even get a post-grad job.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:06 pm

San Diego PD applications are still under review. Does anyone have any information?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:46 pm

Sent out thank you notes early this morning to everyone who interviewed or table talked me at EJW. Got one response back, just general platitudes about them making a decision soon, but better than the crickets from the others.

3L applying to PDs.

Return to “Legal Employment”