How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
FlanAl

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby FlanAl » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:27 am

Also, according to their website San Diego pays its post bar clerks. It seems really weird that they would pay and train people and then cut the majority of them loose.

Foosters Galore

Postby Foosters Galore » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:45 pm

Wait, what are these post-bar interviews for DA/PD positions in CA? I was under the impression the process did not even begin until bar results are in. Are you guys saying that there are interviews for these positions that I missed the boat on?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:52 pm

I am speaking for the SD District Attorney's Office (SDCDA), NOT PD's. The second round of interviews for the SDCDA has been completed and the third round will be next week. SDCDA ONLY takes applications from those who have gradated and TAKEN the bar, and if you happen to get an offer as a Deputy DA I, it would be contingent on passing the bar (offers normally come out for DDA's once the bar results are out in CA).

Also, SDCDA has a Graduate law Clerk Position which is available to anyone, but mostly for 3L's graduating next year. It is not contingent on the bar. It is a paid position but the application deadline was a few weeks ago. INterviews (only one round) are in a few weeks. Even though its paid, its not that much. However the GLC position allows you do do most of what a DDA I would do with the office.

From my research, MOST DA's Offices do not have a post bar position and those that do do NOT pay them.

I have no idea about the PD's in San Diego, sorry.

Foosters Galore

Postby Foosters Galore » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am speaking for the SD District Attorney's Office (SDCDA), NOT PD's. The second round of interviews for the SDCDA has been completed and the third round will be next week. SDCDA ONLY takes applications from those who have gradated and TAKEN the bar, and if you happen to get an offer as a Deputy DA I, it would be contingent on passing the bar (offers normally come out for DDA's once the bar results are out in CA).

Also, SDCDA has a Graduate law Clerk Position which is available to anyone, but mostly for 3L's graduating next year. It is not contingent on the bar. It is a paid position but the application deadline was a few weeks ago. INterviews (only one round) are in a few weeks. Even though its paid, its not that much. However the GLC position allows you do do most of what a DDA I would do with the office.

From my research, MOST DA's Offices do not have a post bar position and those that do do NOT pay them.

I have no idea about the PD's in San Diego, sorry.

Right, I understand. It just seemed that previous posts indicated that this was common at other offices too. I'm a post-bar clerking at a PD office in CA. Both my school and posters on this site had previously told me that there wasn't much you could do between graduating and when bar results come out. Basically that offices ONLY take applications from those who have passed the bar. Just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed interviews and/or deadlines for PD offices all over the state.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:53 pm

spleenworship wrote:Getting a little nervous about EJW. Anyone else?

You're certainly not alone!

Good luck. There is a light at the end of the Vale!

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:08 am

So I'm angsty too. I have classic job hunt anxiety and was hoping you guys could help me out with a little dilemma I'm having (I'm actually not joking about this). I'm going to have resumes and cover letters on resume paper to hand out at the table talk, should I staple them, binder clip them or just paper clip them? Every internship etc. in law school has just been based on email so I actually don't know how to approach handing out hard copies.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:37 am

FlanAl wrote:So I'm angsty too. I have classic job hunt anxiety and was hoping you guys could help me out with a little dilemma I'm having (I'm actually not joking about this). I'm going to have resumes and cover letters on resume paper to hand out at the table talk, should I staple them, binder clip them or just paper clip them? Every internship etc. in law school has just been based on email so I actually don't know how to approach handing out hard copies.

I was just going to do resumes alone. U think I need cover letters?

If I was going to do both I'd do paper clips.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:41 am

spleenworship wrote:
FlanAl wrote:So I'm angsty too. I have classic job hunt anxiety and was hoping you guys could help me out with a little dilemma I'm having (I'm actually not joking about this). I'm going to have resumes and cover letters on resume paper to hand out at the table talk, should I staple them, binder clip them or just paper clip them? Every internship etc. in law school has just been based on email so I actually don't know how to approach handing out hard copies.

A clerk who I workd with last year did cover letters for certain organizations that he liked, and he said some employers in his interview said he got an offer based on the cover letter alone.

Wouldnt hurt at least!

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

A clerk who I workd with last year did cover letters for certain organizations that he liked, and he said some employers in his interview said he got an offer based on the cover letter alone.

Wouldnt hurt at least!

Yeah. Except I have only an hour or two to type and print before airplane. Hmmm.

Btw, anyone going to EJW wants to meet up for a beer or whatever, PM me and we'll make it happen.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:01 pm

I'm only doing table talk for the offices I already applied to but didn't get. I already have cover letters for them.

That is, unless other PD offices that are actually hiring do table talk but not interviews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:50 am

Any news on the San Diego PD applications? My application is being reviewed. Im hoping for 2nd rounds, but I want to check and see if those are already set up. Does anyone have a different status than "Qualifications being reviewed"?
Does anyone have any info on the SDPD second round interviews, should I make it?

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:38 am

Tanicius wrote:I'm only doing table talk for the offices I already applied to but didn't get. I already have cover letters for them.

That is, unless other PD offices that are actually hiring do table talk but not interviews.

This is what I did, but I also printed out cover letters for a couple of the places that say they are just hiring interns. Probably a waste of expensive paper but I feel like its still worth a shot. I still had to print them out like a crazy person yesterday.

Good luck today everyone! I also would have liked to have met you guys in person for a beer or something but I got in late last night and am driving off right after the table talk today. Maybe another time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:49 am

FlanAl wrote:
Tanicius wrote:I'm only doing table talk for the offices I already applied to but didn't get. I already have cover letters for them.

This is what I did, but I also printed out cover letters for a couple of the places that say they are just hiring interns. Probably a waste of expensive paper but I feel like its still worth a shot. I still had to print them out like a crazy person yesterday.

Good luck today everyone! I also would have liked to have met you guys in person for a beer or something but I got in late last night and am driving off right after the table talk today. Maybe another time.

We can always schedule google beer sessions when we all get teh jerbs. :)

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:47 am

Oh, the SD PD post-bar thing is paid? They came to my OCI, and I turned down an interview with them because the Symplicity description said unpaid. Ugh. :|

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:48 am

I am doing a different approach. I am handing out my resume and then I'm going to submit a formal application via email with a cover letter that talks about our conversation at EJW. This way it seems more personable and they will remember me, at least I hope :)

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:09 pm

Table talk was ridiculous. Only got to talk to two employers in the entire hour and a half.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:15 pm

Does anyone know how long it takes to "review qualifications" for the San Diego PD?

gr8scOtt!

Postby gr8scOtt! » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:33 pm

Tanicius wrote:Table talk was ridiculous. Only got to talk to two employers in the entire hour and a half.

Were the lines really long for each employer? Maybe it will be better tomorrow!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:11 pm

table talk for me went well. Had success with talking to two agencies and have scored two interviews with them. Pumped because I didn't get many interviews through the normal app process.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:29 am

My table talks went better than my interview. Hopefully interview will be better today.

A little hung over though.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:52 pm

the lines for colorado and bronx were absolutely insane. I was really surprised that I only had to wait behind 3 people for legal aid and that there was no line for miami at all. I was planning on talking to Bronx but am happy that I ended up getting to talk to more employers. Bronx has rejected me every summer and EJW conference, I'm not sure a table talk would have done anything.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:25 pm

was it me, or did the interviewer for NOLA seem a little standoffish?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:41 pm

anyone have the business card of the older lady that was at the palm beach table yesterday? I lost it and was hoping to follow up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:was it me, or did the interviewer for NOLA seem a little standoffish?

He told me he had back pain.

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:06 pm

Why were the lines for Colorado so long? Are they really well regarded or is it just because they're hiring lots of interns?

Return to “Legal Employment”