How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:33 pm

2L from MVPB, bottom 1/4 grades, unamazing PD/public interest experience

rejection from Bronx criminal
interview at New Hampshire
interview at Alaska
waiting on Colorado

no ties at any of the above areas. Fingers crossed for Colorado, the only one I'm really super excited about.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:07 pm

GRATS!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:01 pm

Brooklyn interview selection.
Miami ding- WTF they offered me a job last year for internship? Wonder what the deal was they were one of my top choices!!!
Is applying to LAS through EJW a horrible route compared to sending your app in directly? I heard they don't do screener interviews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:03 pm

Reject from Miami, having also received the email inquiring about whether my summer certification work was for credit. What a stupid rule.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Brooklyn interview selection.
Miami ding- WTF they offered me a job last year for internship? Wonder what the deal was they were one of my top choices!!!
Is applying to LAS through EJW a horrible route compared to sending your app in directly? I heard they don't do screener interviews.

It doesn't seem to be a horrible route. See this anon from p. 92 ITT--the EJW table talk is treated as a screener:
Hey all:

I'm a recent tier 1 graduate who accepted a PD position at Legal Aid with zero help from my school's career center.

Re: EJW - absolutely go. I only got interviews with New Hampshire and Palm Beach, but the "table talk" portion is 100% what got me in the door at LAS. Also made great connections with Bronx, Harlem, Maryland, Miami, etc. My advice is to apply to as many interviews as you can before the deadline (make a spreadsheet), but also keep a list of all the others you're interested in talking to at the fair/applying cold afterwards. It also helps if you've submitted apps to these places before the fair, but also fine if you refer to EJW in your cover letter post-fair.

The listings will keep getting posted up until the deadline (I remember one job got posted like a day before the deadline). Apply to as many as your can, but don't be discouraged if you don't get an interview. Treat EJW as super important - get your stuff on resume paper, wear a good suit, suck up your pride and network like a champ. They give you a big list of all the employers and a map of the room - plot out your strategy and wait your turn to have a few minutes face-to-face with the employers. Tell em your deal, make sure they get your resume, and follow up with a thank you email. Remember most PDs have separate applications, and not getting a 1st round through the formal EJW system means little. I spent maybe 3 minutes talking with someone at LAS, followed up, and then got a 2nd round interview in NY (they treated table talk as my first round).

Good luck to you all! But highly highly recommend EJW/cold applications.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:10 pm

Sorry what does LAS stand for?

BlueLotus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Brooklyn interview selection.

It doesn't seem to be a horrible route. See this anon from p. 92 ITT--the EJW table talk is treated as a screener:
Hey all:

I'm a recent tier 1 graduate who accepted a PD position at Legal Aid with zero help from my school's career center.

Re: EJW - absolutely go. I only got interviews with New Hampshire and Palm Beach, but the "table talk" portion is 100% what got me in the door at LAS. Also made great connections with Bronx, Harlem, Maryland, Miami, etc. My advice is to apply to as many interviews as you can before the deadline (make a spreadsheet), but also keep a list of all the others you're interested in talking to at the fair/applying cold afterwards. It also helps if you've submitted apps to these places before the fair, but also fine if you refer to EJW in your cover letter post-fair.

The listings will keep getting posted up until the deadline (I remember one job got posted like a day before the deadline). Apply to as many as your can, but don't be discouraged if you don't get an interview. Treat EJW as super important - get your stuff on resume paper, wear a good suit, suck up your pride and network like a champ. They give you a big list of all the employers and a map of the room - plot out your strategy and wait your turn to have a few minutes face-to-face with the employers. Tell em your deal, make sure they get your resume, and follow up with a thank you email. Remember most PDs have separate applications, and not getting a 1st round through the formal EJW system means little. I spent maybe 3 minutes talking with someone at LAS, followed up, and then got a 2nd round interview in NY (they treated table talk as my first round).

Good luck to you all! But highly highly recommend EJW/cold applications.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:12 pm

^

Legal Aid Society (in NYC)

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:42 pm

More dings. Boo. Time to start applying directly. I wish PDS was hiring because that's the only PD office I have connections at.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:55 pm

Fucking ding from Miami. 3 for 3 dings so far.

ETA: I'm gonna laugh if they all interview the same 25 people and end up with job openings all over the place.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:07 pm

spleenworship wrote:Fucking ding from Miami. 3 for 3 dings so far.

ETA: I'm gonna laugh if they all interview the same 25 people and end up with job openings all over the place.

I think Miami dinged anyone by default if they didn't appear on a court record for a credit clinic. With all the applicants, it wouldn't make sense for them to actually go for anyone that doesn't fit 100% of their requirements. It's a shitty rule, but at least we can find solace in the fact that their office undoubtedly hates it as much as we do.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:13 pm

Tanicius wrote:

I think Miami dinged anyone by default if they didn't appear on a court record for a credit clinic. With all the applicants, it wouldn't make sense for them to actually go for anyone that doesn't fit 100% of their requirements. It's a shitty rule, but at least we can find solace in the fact that their office undoubtedly hates it as much as we do.

I'm in a for credit criminal defense clinic right now. And I've appeared in court already.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:15 pm

Tanicius wrote:

Seconded - about a week ago I got an email query from Miami about my clinic and whether my internship was for academic credit - it has to do with the court's rules for 3rd year practice while you're awaiting bar results, IIRC.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tanicius wrote:

Seconded - about a week ago I got an email query from Miami about my clinic and whether my internship was for academic credit - it has to do with the court's rules for 3rd year practice while you're awaiting bar results, IIRC.

Also dinged, and I am in a for-credit crim clinic. I'm also registered for the Florida bar and already passed C&F. Boo.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:20 pm

Jessuf wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Tanicius wrote:

Also dinged, and I am in a for-credit crim clinic. I'm also registered for the Florida bar and already passed C&F. Boo.

Well then Who the hell are they interviewing if not people like you??

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:36 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Well then Who the hell are they interviewing if not people like you??

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:38 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:10 pm

Also dinged here by Miami after receiving the email earlier this week. My internship was for credit, but the PDO in my city only handles felonies, so we weren't certified to make court appearances.

Finally a piece of good news: got an interview with Kentucky for their clerk position. According to their head of PR, that's essentially a post-bar job that starts out as a pre-bar job.

Good luck to all. I'm hoping for a couple more. :cry:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:25 pm

Got accepted for KY.

How do you sign up for an interview...? I click on the date and nothing happens....

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:32 pm

Ty Webb wrote:Finally a piece of good news: got an interview

Good luck to all. I'm hoping for a couple more. :cry:

Congrats bro. I bet you will.

gdane

Postby gdane » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:51 pm

FYI, the Miami PD women are all really hot. Just throwing that out there. Sometimes I question if I'm on the right side.

gr8scOtt!

Postby gr8scOtt! » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:10 pm

Still waiting on 9 EJWs! :shock:

xChiTowNx

Postby xChiTowNx » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:19 pm

gr8scOtt! wrote:Still waiting on 9 EJWs! :shock:

9 seems to be magic number.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:21 pm

gdane wrote:FYI, the Miami PD women are all really hot. Just throwing that out there. Sometimes I question if I'm on the right side.

And you had the urge to post this after everyone in the thread said they got dinged because....

I love you gdane, but sometimes your RC kills me. :D

gr8scOtt! wrote:Still waiting on 9 EJWs! :shock:

5 more for me. And Philly and my local market outside of EJW.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:26 pm

gdane wrote:FYI, the Miami PD women are all really hot. Just throwing that out there. Sometimes I question if I'm on the right side.

Quick! To the linkedin! For Science! lol...

gdane

Postby gdane » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:58 pm

spleenworship wrote:

And you had the urge to post this after everyone in the thread said they got dinged because....

I love you gdane, but sometimes your RC kills me. :D

Well, you're married so it would have been a moo point anyway :wink:

Return to “Legal Employment”