How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:BrooklynDS accepted an EJW interview request this morning. Anyone else see any movement?

were you able to accept under the task list and schedule a time slot?

No. I was just checking that and apparently that option doesn't start until tomorrow.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:03 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:To the anon worried about grades, JUST APPLY ANYWAY. It doesn't matter and you lose nothing by trying.

By way of anecdote, I did pretty okay my 1L year and got absolutely hulk-smashed beyond-median-pwned my 2L fall. I interviewed with the USAO during my 2L spring and got a spot as a law clerk anyway. In that office, I think maybe all but one of the attorneys were in the top ten of their respective classes, but they took a chance on me anyway. In my experience, the commitment is what matters, so really sell that.

As for writing sample, I always use a brief (or at least one argument from it). It's by far my most polished piece from school and I couldn't use most of what I wrote at the USAO because I would have had to redact everything. Brief/motion is preferable to virtually everything else.

Lol, medianpwned looks pretty good from the position i'm in. :(

i know i should apply anyway. but does anyone have an answer to my question? i was just wondering which offices ask so I could sort offices between "> snowball's chance in hell" and "< snowball's chance in hell. :lol:

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:06 pm

How important are "ties" for NYC PD offices? I know that the TLS conventional wisdom says that NYC BigLaw doesn't care at all, but I'm wondering if the same holds true for public interest. My ties to NYC are rather tenuous (lived there when I was reallllly little + have extended family there).

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Pretzel_Logic wrote:To the anon worried about grades, JUST APPLY ANYWAY. It doesn't matter and you lose nothing by trying.

By way of anecdote, I did pretty okay my 1L year and got absolutely hulk-smashed beyond-median-pwned my 2L fall. I interviewed with the USAO during my 2L spring and got a spot as a law clerk anyway. In that office, I think maybe all but one of the attorneys were in the top ten of their respective classes, but they took a chance on me anyway. In my experience, the commitment is what matters, so really sell that.

As for writing sample, I always use a brief (or at least one argument from it). It's by far my most polished piece from school and I couldn't use most of what I wrote at the USAO because I would have had to redact everything. Brief/motion is preferable to virtually everything else.

i know i should apply anyway. but does anyone have an answer to my question? i was just wondering which offices ask so I could sort offices between "> snowball's chance in hell" and "< snowball's chance in hell. :lol:

Brooklyn Defender Services and NYC Legal Aid Society ask for a transcript, but I have heard no word about how much they value the transcript against other factors. You are definitely selling yourself short if you do not apply to both of those offices.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:13 pm

Just curious, anyone have any idea how important school ranking is to some of these more elite PD offices? I'm at a T2 in flyover country as far as the East Coast is concerned.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:15 pm

Tanicius wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Brooklyn Defender Services and NYC Legal Aid Society ask for a transcript, but I have heard no word about how much they value the transcript against other factors. You are definitely selling yourself short if you do not apply to both of those offices.

well, they wouldn't ask if they didn't care a great deal, right?

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tanicius wrote:

Not necessarily. They may take them as a formality and not really look at them at all, or if they do it might be only certain hiring committee members who care about them while others do not care about them whatsoever. It's a lot like law school admissions at a holistic school -- you may have some people really fighting for you based off your resume or cover letter.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:25 pm

Tanicius wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Tanicius wrote:

Not necessarily. They may take them as a formality and not really look at them at all, or if they do it might be only certain hiring committee members who care about them while others do not care about them whatsoever. It's a lot like law school admissions at a holistic school -- you may have some people really fighting for you based off your resume or cover letter.

So, PDs offices are basically the Boalts of legal hiring?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:29 pm

BlueLotus wrote:How important are "ties" for NYC PD offices? I know that the TLS conventional wisdom says that NYC BigLaw doesn't care at all, but I'm wondering if the same holds true for public interest. My ties to NYC are rather tenuous (lived there when I was reallllly little + have extended family there).

In my experience it is the exact opposite for PDs--only NY offices care about ties.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Tanicius wrote:

So, PDs offices are basically the Boalts of legal hiring?

I prefer to think of Public Defender offices as the Yales of legal hiring. Yale+, even. The closest thing you could come to combining Yale with Jesus, if you will.

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

You have < snowball's chance anywhere you don't apply. Just do it, you really have absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain. Who gives a rat's if they ask for a transcript? A friend of mine was literally bottom of the class at one point and she's employed and I'm not, so seriously, JUST DO IT.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:How important are "ties" for NYC PD offices? I know that the TLS conventional wisdom says that NYC BigLaw doesn't care at all, but I'm wondering if the same holds true for public interest. My ties to NYC are rather tenuous (lived there when I was reallllly little + have extended family there).

In my experience it is the exact opposite for PDs--only NY offices care about ties.

interesting. you'd think that PDs in the boonies would care more about ties. would my flimsy ties ding me from Bronx Defenders? i'm from a large city in the northeast (think Boston, Philly) and attend a school that feeds pretty substantially into the NYC market.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:04 pm

So - I was "not accepted" for a Bronx Defenders spot earlier today - and I got an email from EJW saying I wasn't selected. But now the website says that I was "accepted" for an interview...

has this happened to anyone else? (I'm a 3L applying for post-grad positions if that matters...) is this too good to be true?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:27 pm

anyone direct apply to Philly PD?

golfer89

Postby golfer89 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:36 pm

I was just able to sign up for a 3L interview with Brooklyn Defenders.

As for the transcript question, I think that for many PD offices, they're looking at it to make sure you've taken certain classes like evidence, crim pro, trial advocacy, etc.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So - I was "not accepted" for a Bronx Defenders spot earlier today - and I got an email from EJW saying I wasn't selected. But now the website says that I was "accepted" for an interview...

has this happened to anyone else? (I'm a 3L applying for post-grad positions if that matters...) is this too good to be true?

I got not accepted by Bronx (see above). When I look on EJW website, it still says not accepted.

Anonymous User wrote:anyone direct apply to Philly PD?

I did. They sent me an email saying they would let me know if I was selected for an interview.
Last edited by spleenworship on Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:40 pm

golfer89 wrote:As for the transcript question, I think that for many PD offices, they're looking at it to make sure you've taken certain classes like evidence, crim pro, trial advocacy, etc.

Yeah, I have heard that the only grades they care about are your evidence and crim pro grades.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:33 pm

BlueLotus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

interesting. you'd think that PDs in the boonies would care more about ties. would my flimsy ties ding me from Bronx Defenders? i'm from a large city in the northeast (think Boston, Philly) and attend a school that feeds pretty substantially into the NYC market.

New York is pretty rough on a PD salary, especially compared to places like Mecklendberg, so I think they want to make sure that there is something that is really motivating you to go NY instead of somewhere where you'll be able to afford a better lifestyle. (not like your crushing it elsewhere, its just that NYC COL is really intense)

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:37 pm

I also got a ding email from bronx. I intend to apply to them directly now and then probably again for the NYU public interest fair.

adonai

Postby adonai » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:39 pm

spleenworship wrote:
golfer89 wrote:As for the transcript question, I think that for many PD offices, they're looking at it to make sure you've taken certain classes like evidence, crim pro, trial advocacy, etc.

Yeah, I have heard that the only grades they care about are your evidence and crim pro grades.

Transcripts are probably for the above reason, but can also be used to verify that you go to your law school and/or are in good standing. Asking for a transcript doesn't necessarily mean they care about what grades you actually got, but they will probably see them.

And right now I'm applying for an honors program that I'm totally not academically qualified to apply to either. My prof. also asked for my transcript for an LOR (I did well in that prof's class) but I otherwise have crap grades. I'm super embarassed/ashamed too. But you know what, like someone said above, you miss 100% of shots you don't take. Other things COULD make up for bad grades. In my experience, if you can snag an interview and rock it, that is the most important thing.

As an example, I did an externship with a Fed CoA. I didn't bother to apply for the clerkship because it was just way too out of my league. But the clerks later told me they were waiting and expecting me to apply and would have put my file at the top of the pile to recommend to the judge. I lost out on this chance because I simply gave in to my inferiority and didn't apply. Would I have gotten a clerkship? Probably not, but then again you never know what could happen in those types of circumstances. You can't control what other people will do or react to you, but you can control how you respond and feel. So get over the grades and APPLY!
Last edited by adonai on Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:42 pm

FlanAl wrote:I also got a ding email from bronx. I intend to apply to them directly now and then probably again for the NYU public interest fair.

is that fair only open to folks in NYC area law schools?

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:46 pm

FlanAl wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

New York is pretty rough on a PD salary, especially compared to places like Mecklendberg, so I think they want to make sure that there is something that is really motivating you to go NY instead of somewhere where you'll be able to afford a better lifestyle. (not like your crushing it elsewhere, its just that NYC COL is really intense)

ahh, that makes sense.

SF PD is where the real money's at: http://sfpublicdefender.org/careers/employment/
:shock:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can someone who has figured out this LAS application please tell me how the fuck to convert everything from pdf to word to pdf back again. Well some things are just word documents but how do I convert everything into one PDF document without it looking like shit. I'm using a mac. HALP.

Current 3L here ... no words from EJW apps yet but only applied to PD offices

so if you're using a mac, do everything in preview. then make sure you can view thumbnails. When you do that, you can drag and drop thumbnails from one file to another. very easy, and free!

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:16 pm

All the folks who got dinged by the Bronx, was this for the criminal practice or the family defense practice?

I got a ding from the family defense side, and I also applied for the criminal defense side. No ding there (yet). I'm hoping maybe this is good news (I sure as hell could need some).

Update: Also a ding for me from Brooklyn this morning.

Still waiting to hear from everywhere else.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:19 pm

Ty Webb wrote:All the folks who got dinged by the Bronx, was this for the criminal practice or the family defense practice?

I got a ding from the family defense side, and I also applied for the criminal defense side. No ding there (yet). I'm hoping maybe this is good news (I sure as hell could need some).

Update: Also a ding for me from Brooklyn this morning.

Still waiting to hear from everywhere else.

Crim Def side fer me.

Return to “Legal Employment”