How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
adonai

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby adonai » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:14 pm

jml8756 wrote:
Jessuf wrote:I just had my first prosecution interview, and it went horribly. The lady hated me so much that I never even got a hypo. I don't get why I was invited for an interview in the first place.

I'm doing a crim law clinic right now, and I just have a line on my résumé that says "Clinics: Criminal Law Clinic, Other Clinic" (I did another non-crim clinic last year). The interviewer never even noticed I was in a crim clinic until I brought it up. How do i make this clinic more noticeable? I always bring up my clinic work in the cover letter, but should I add a description to my resume too?

Why do you think she hated you? Were there any indications, or was it just a feeling you had? Sometimes with prosecution interviews the idea is to make you feel like it's going bad to see how you respond. A lot of people come out of them feeling like they did poorly, when actually they did fine.

And some offices don't give hypos.

First round interviews don't usually involve hypos. I also had a recent interview where I felt the whole panel hated me from the start. They looked totally disinterested and I admit it threw me off. I'm really used to this stuff but I don't know why I croaked. Ding here for sure.

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:48 pm

I got an acceptance for an EJW interview, but it was for spring internship. (3L here). I was so excited, then not, then figured it's still something if not a permanent job.

Also, just to chip in on another topic - I also fielded a hypo for a 2L interview for a PD's office, so it does happen. It went OK, got an offer.

And as a chin up to those who interviewed with offices that seemed to hate them, I once was preselected for an interview with an unnamed office where they were so disinterested that one of the two ate a Subway sandwich during the interview (about a foot from my face, awkward), and the other interviewer cut our interview short by telling me I probably wouldn't want the job anyway - her mind seemed made up before I even sat down. No idea why they picked me for an interview. Just part of the process.

adonai

Postby adonai » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:19 pm

Lawst wrote:And as a chin up to those who interviewed with offices that seemed to hate them, I once was preselected for an interview with an unnamed office where they were so disinterested that one of the two ate a Subway sandwich during the interview (about a foot from my face, awkward), and the other interviewer cut our interview short by telling me I probably wouldn't want the job anyway - her mind seemed made up before I even sat down. No idea why they picked me for an interview. Just part of the process.

That is horrible. I don't understand the basis for these types of interviews. Is it cause they look at us on interview day and think we're ugly or something? And sorry to ask, but did you end up getting an offer?

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:57 pm

adonai wrote:
Lawst wrote:And as a chin up to those who interviewed with offices that seemed to hate them, I once was preselected for an interview with an unnamed office where they were so disinterested that one of the two ate a Subway sandwich during the interview (about a foot from my face, awkward), and the other interviewer cut our interview short by telling me I probably wouldn't want the job anyway - her mind seemed made up before I even sat down. No idea why they picked me for an interview. Just part of the process.

That is horrible. I don't understand the basis for these types of interviews. Is it cause they look at us on interview day and think we're ugly or something? And sorry to ask, but did you end up getting an offer?

I didn't get an offer from them, but I got others and ended up doing just fine 2L summer, which is why it's now funny to me instead of depressing. Though it is sort of depressing in general.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:57 pm

Lawst wrote:
adonai wrote:

I didn't get an offer from them, but I got others and ended up doing just fine 2L summer, which is why it's now funny to me instead of depressing. Though it is sort of depressing in general.

I was under the impression from posters here that PD/DA interviewers (esp. at panel interviews) try to be off-putting/hostile to see how you handle yourself under pressure?

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:37 am

Still crickets from full time entry level jobs at EJW.

They have to tell you if you are not being chosen as well, if I'm reading this correctly. So the waiting can't last forever.

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:15 pm

Re: above.

After clicking on a few of my employers' interview schedules, I see that all of the available time slots are still shown as open. Which tells me these offices haven't submitted their pre-selects yet.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:25 pm

Ty Webb wrote:Re: above.

After clicking on a few of my employers' interview schedules, I see that all of the available time slots are still shown as open. Which tells me these offices haven't submitted their pre-selects yet.

Well that's something.

I guess.

Still want a fricking yes or no so bad I would punch an old lady to find out, but... better than all no's.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:47 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Ty Webb wrote:Re: above.

Well that's something.

I guess.

Still want a fricking yes or no so bad I would punch an old lady to find out, but... better than all no's.

I recently had an on-campus interview with one of the EJW recruiters. They were talking about still having to get back home and sift through 250+ applications for ~30 interview slots and how difficult it is because of the well-qualified applicants. So I take that to mean it's just a very hard process..

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:57 pm

Got an EJW interview finally! Picked the last interview slot, lol.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:22 pm

BlueLotus wrote:Got an EJW interview finally! Picked the last interview slot, lol.

Congrats! What office?

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:Got an EJW interview finally! Picked the last interview slot, lol.

Congrats! What office?

This.

I think we need an informal rule: if you get an interview post who gave u one anon, so everyone knows what's up.

gdane

Postby gdane » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:09 pm

EJW peeps, Can't you just apply directly to the office of your choice?

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:14 pm

gdane wrote:EJW peeps, Can't you just apply directly to the office of your choice?

Yes. The idea here is to get multiple interviews from geographically diverse offices with only 1 trip... Saving money overall.

gdane

Postby gdane » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:19 pm

spleenworship wrote:
gdane wrote:EJW peeps, Can't you just apply directly to the office of your choice?

Yes. The idea here is to get multiple interviews from geographically diverse offices with only 1 trip... Saving money overall.

Ah ok. It just seems like so many of you are waiting. Why not just send apps to your top choices and do EjW for the rest. If you don't get selected at Jew, does that foreclose you from applying again?

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:31 pm

gdane wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

Ah ok. It just seems like so many of you are waiting. Why not just send apps to your top choices and do EjW for the rest. If you don't get selected at Jew, does that foreclose you from applying again?

Even if you don't get selected for an interview at EJW, it may be still worth going for table talks, which are basically unofficial interviews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:49 pm

Has anyone worked in or know someone who has worked in the Maryland PD district courts or misdemeanor jury trials as a law clerk? Just curious as to how the experience went. I applied through EJW, but if I do not get a preselect, I was thinking about applying directly.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:02 pm

gdane wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

I hear it is totes TCR to apply again even if rejected at EJW.

gdane

Postby gdane » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:11 pm

Ok cool. Well good luck. The waiting game sucks. I'm waiting to find out if ill get a second round interview and it sucks because I think I did not too well in answering the hypo I got.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:12 pm

for those of you at NY area schools, Bronx Defenders contacted me about interviewing in NY today, and told me that is why they weren't going to accept me for an interview at EJW.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:20 pm

gdane wrote:Ok cool. Well good luck. The waiting game sucks. I'm waiting to find out if ill get a second round interview and it sucks because I think I did not too well in answering the hypo I got.

Yeah the waiting sucks. Good luck on getting your second round, and don't beat yourself up.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:for those of you at NY area schools, Bronx Defenders contacted me about interviewing in NY today, and told me that is why they weren't going to accept me for an interview at EJW.

Thanks for the heads up, their direct application is due on Friday so I guess I'll just re-send them my stuff if I don't hear from them. Also, did they contact you via phone or email?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:22 pm

3Ls/Valers/current PDs,

which Legal Aid/PD's offices for sure don't ask for transcripts?

my grades are bad enough that my gpa is not posted on my resume :oops: ...but despite that, ejw is treating me quite well (must be cuz my cover letters/resume SCREAMS "demonstrated commitment" through volunteering/internships)

of course i have four more semesters to show an "upward trend", but my 1L performance was not pretty, to say the least.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:3Ls/Valers/current PDs,

my grades are bad enough that my gpa is not posted on my resume :oops: ...but despite that, ejw is treating me quite well (must be cuz my cover letters/resume SCREAMS "demonstrated commitment" through volunteering/internships)

of course i have four more semesters to show an "upward trend", but my 1L performance was not pretty, to say the least.

Better question to ask: Why would you EVER not apply to a PD just because they ask for your grades? Don't preemptively reject yourself, capiche?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:36 pm

Tanicius wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:3Ls/Valers/current PDs,

Better question to ask: Why would you EVER not apply to a PD just because they ask for your grades? Don't preemptively reject yourself, capiche?

i suppose you're right. i just figured that sub-3.0=automatic ding for places that do ask. gov/pi employers are not typically as grade whoring as biglaw, but i've noticed (on the U of AZ Gov Honors site) that 3.0 is floor for many places.

Return to “Legal Employment”