How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Tanicius

Gold

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Post by Tanicius » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:43 pm

A'nold wrote:
Rocky Estoppel wrote:
A'nold wrote:
Flash wrote:Is anybody going for a spot with the Cook County SA's office?
I'd rather not die right now, lol.
:?:
I was just joking about the danger of working in that area. I worked in a county that is nowhere near as crime ridden or dangerous but even while I was there prosecutors were receiving death threats. :)
PD's in rural counties get death threats too. Not really indicative of the overall danger.

npe

Bronze

Post by npe » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:29 pm

Tanicius wrote:
A'nold wrote: I was just joking about the danger of working in that area. I worked in a county that is nowhere near as crime ridden or dangerous but even while I was there prosecutors were receiving death threats. :)
PD's in rural counties get death threats too. Not really indicative of the overall danger.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:54 pm

npe wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
A'nold wrote: I was just joking about the danger of working in that area. I worked in a county that is nowhere near as crime ridden or dangerous but even while I was there prosecutors were receiving death threats. :)
Thanks, haha. I thought it was pretty obvious that I was just joking too but you never know if people will take it that way.

npe

Bronze

Post by npe » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:58 pm

No problem, friend. How are your apps going? Got dings last week from Miami SA and Manhattan DA, which kind of stung. Especially pissed about Manhattan; the 1st-round interviewer seemed like he couldn't wait to get out of there and asked maybe three questions. But I have a final round at another office in the next couple weeks.

This process sucks, no?

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:16 pm

npe wrote:No problem, friend. How are your apps going? Got dings last week from Miami SA and Manhattan DA, which kind of stung. Especially pissed about Manhattan; the 1st-round interviewer seemed like he couldn't wait to get out of there and asked maybe three questions. But I have a final round at another office in the next couple weeks.

This process sucks, no?
It does suck, yes. I have something going on right now but can't give details just yet. Good luck on that office!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Geist13

Silver

Post by Geist13 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:05 pm

How much is not taking crim pro until 3rd year going to hurt me for applications next year? Basically I planned to take it second semester this year, but the school just changed the schedule around and now crim pro and evidence are being offered at the same time (which is the stupidest fucking thing I've ever heard). I can only take trial skills if I am taking evidence concurrently (or have already taken it). So for my crim law courses I have to choose between crim pro alone or evidence and trial skills. There's another section of evidence I could take but it conflicts with federal courts which I need to have on my transcript for clerkship applications if I decide to take that route.

leobowski

Silver

Post by leobowski » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:29 pm

Geist13 wrote:How much is not taking crim pro until 3rd year going to hurt me for applications next year? Basically I planned to take it second semester this year, but the school just changed the schedule around and now crim pro and evidence are being offered at the same time (which is the stupidest fucking thing I've ever heard). I can only take trial skills if I am taking evidence concurrently (or have already taken it). So for my crim law courses I have to choose between crim pro alone or evidence and trial skills. There's another section of evidence I could take but it conflicts with federal courts which I need to have on my transcript for clerkship applications if I decide to take that route.

Uhh you need to take crim pro+ evidence your 2L year if at all possible (assuming you're talking about 2L student-practice internships). Don't worry about taking fed courts 2L year. Postpone it until 3rd year. It was never an issue for me in the fed clerkship process

llachans

Silver

Post by llachans » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:43 pm

I'm applying this cycle. My dream is to be a DA after graduation.

I don't have the greatest stats (3.5/160). Because I won't be graduating from a *top* law school, how necessary is it that I go to a school with a prosecution clinic?

In addition, I've heard great things about Southwestern Law. It's much lower ranked than other schools I could get into but due to its trend of placing so many grads as DAs, is it worth it to consider it?

Thanks for any input. I just want to put myself in a situation that allows me to suceed as a DA from the start.

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:20 pm

llachans wrote:I'm applying this cycle. My dream is to be a DA after graduation.

I don't have the greatest stats (3.5/160). Because I won't be graduating from a *top* law school, how necessary is it that I go to a school with a prosecution clinic?

In addition, I've heard great things about Southwestern Law. It's much lower ranked than other schools I could get into but due to its trend of placing so many grads as DAs, is it worth it to consider it?

Thanks for any input. I just want to put myself in a situation that allows me to suceed as a DA from the start.
Southwestern is great for LADA. It is the 2nd largest represented school behind Loyola. LADA is opening up hiring again this fall, and although it will be extremely competitive, as addressed in an earlier post they are maintaining their budget really well so hopefully this will continue a few years from now. Prosecution clinic is probably not necessary. SW doesn't even have one and the school places well. Commitment and who you know will help more. With your stats you would probably get a substantial scholarship, although since SW doesn't have an LRAP program you'd have to look into IBR. My advice is to start volunteering at the DAs now as a 0L and network. Do a good job and make yourself known for that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:23 am

llachans wrote:I'm applying this cycle. My dream is to be a DA after graduation.

School matters much less from what I've seen. IBR is your friend, as was stated above. Experience and recommendations seem to be the most important things.

llachans

Silver

Post by llachans » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:22 pm

Thanks for all of the advice. One more question!

I really don't have any geographical preference. That might be weird to some people but I don't have any ties to where I currently live so I'm pretty flexible when it comes to school/post-grad living.

What markets are the best for prosecutors? Additionally, how is Chicago's market? I know Northwestern & Chicago dominate the market (as well as Iowa, MN, WI, IN, etc. elbowing their way in), but are lower-ranked schools like Kent/Loyola/DePaul struggling to place students as far as DA positions go?

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:57 pm

llachans wrote:Thanks for all of the advice. One more question!

I really don't have any geographical preference. That might be weird to some people but I don't have any ties to where I currently live so I'm pretty flexible when it comes to school/post-grad living.

What markets are the best for prosecutors? Additionally, how is Chicago's market? I know Northwestern & Chicago dominate the market (as well as Iowa, MN, WI, IN, etc. elbowing their way in), but are lower-ranked schools like Kent/Loyola/DePaul struggling to place students as far as DA positions go?
IMHO, it would be beneficial to go to a school in the area you have the strongest ties to, as employers often ask why their office. If you give a generic "I like it here" kind of answer, it seems to hurt your chances. This is all my opinion though and I could be completely wrong. Going to school in the area I grew up has certainly helped me so far.

llachans

Silver

Post by llachans » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:47 pm

A'nold wrote:
llachans wrote:Thanks for all of the advice. One more question!

IMHO, it would be beneficial to go to a school in the area you have the strongest ties to, as employers often ask why their office. If you give a generic "I like it here" kind of answer, it seems to hurt your chances. This is all my opinion though and I could be completely wrong. Going to school in the area I grew up has certainly helped me so far.

Thanks for the advice. Honestly though, I really dislike the Midwest and have been waiting to get out for awhile.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:50 pm

Good news for us:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/ ... story.html

IBR now requires 10% of disposable income as minimum payment instead of 15%, that should make life easier
(it also reduces 25year forgiveness to 20 year, but as a PD/DA we'd qualify for the 10 year forgiveness, so that's more of a moot point)
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:25 pm

Flash wrote:Is anybody going for a spot with the Cook County SA's office?

Yep, for the summer. Hoping to do the academy as well. I think I have a really strong application; we'll see what happens.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:43 am

Borhas wrote:Good news for us:

IBR now requires 10% of disposable income as minimum payment instead of 15%, that should make life easier
(it also reduces 25year forgiveness to 20 year, but as a PD/DA we'd qualify for the 10 year forgiveness, so that's more of a moot point)
I don't really get how this works. So, will my UG stafford loans qualify even though I got them before 2008?

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:13 am

A'nold wrote:

I don't really get how this works. So, will my UG stafford loans qualify even though I got them before 2008?
If you take out a new federal loan next year (as in January?), then maybe

If you consolidate your federal loans next year, then maybe....
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:47 pm

Borhas wrote:
A'nold wrote:

If you take out a new federal loan next year (as in January?), then maybe

If you consolidate your federal loans next year, then maybe....
Haha, yeah, it's all maybe's right now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:29 pm

Phone interview invitation from Bronx Defenders for a summer internship after a mass mail earlier this semester! Woohoo!!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Phone interview invitation from Bronx Defenders today for a summer internship after a mass mail earlier this semester! Woohoo!!
Wohoo!

purr se

New

Post by purr se » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Phone interview invitation from Bronx Defenders for a summer internship after a mass mail earlier this semester! Woohoo!!
Ahh, congrats! That's my dream job - fingers crossed for the same.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:43 pm

Miami Dade just sent me a snail mail offer to interview. I will have to cover travel expenses which stinks but isn't totally unexpected.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:22 pm

Borhas wrote:
1. volunteer in some sort of program that helps poor people as soon as you can
2. apply as soon as you can. I applied at PI/PS day, so it was sort of an OCI type experience. It's always better to apply early, even if you have no grades
3. mention that you are a San Diego native in your cover letter

hope that helps, if you get an interview I posted something about my interview in this thread, good luck!
Hey just saw your post. Thanks for the tips! Will they probably have the same 12/1 rule as firms? I saw a discussion earlier in the thread about speaking spanish being a benefit, will not speaking spanish be a big disadvantage?

Thanks again for your help

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Miami Dade just sent me a snail mail offer to interview. I will have to cover travel expenses which stinks but isn't totally unexpected.
Congrats. How far away are you?

Edit: And this once again brings up my "when do we mass mail" question........when do we mass mail?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:44 pm

A'nold wrote: Congrats. How far away are you?

Edit: And this once again brings up my "when do we mass mail" question........when do we mass mail?
I'm a 3L in Atlanta. Airfare is around $200 round trip, plus hotel. I applied online at the end of September and this is first time I have heard back.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”