How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Tanicius » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:43 pm

A'nold wrote:
Rocky Estoppel wrote:
A'nold wrote:
Flash wrote:Is anybody going for a spot with the Cook County SA's office?

I'd rather not die right now, lol.
:?:

I was just joking about the danger of working in that area. I worked in a county that is nowhere near as crime ridden or dangerous but even while I was there prosecutors were receiving death threats. :)


PD's in rural counties get death threats too. Not really indicative of the overall danger.

User avatar
npe
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby npe » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:29 pm

Tanicius wrote:
A'nold wrote:I was just joking about the danger of working in that area. I worked in a county that is nowhere near as crime ridden or dangerous but even while I was there prosecutors were receiving death threats. :)


PD's in rural counties get death threats too. Not really indicative of the overall danger.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby A'nold » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:54 pm

npe wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
A'nold wrote:I was just joking about the danger of working in that area. I worked in a county that is nowhere near as crime ridden or dangerous but even while I was there prosecutors were receiving death threats. :)


PD's in rural counties get death threats too. Not really indicative of the overall danger.

Thanks, haha. I thought it was pretty obvious that I was just joking too but you never know if people will take it that way.

User avatar
npe
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby npe » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:58 pm

No problem, friend. How are your apps going? Got dings last week from Miami SA and Manhattan DA, which kind of stung. Especially pissed about Manhattan; the 1st-round interviewer seemed like he couldn't wait to get out of there and asked maybe three questions. But I have a final round at another office in the next couple weeks.

This process sucks, no?

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby A'nold » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:16 pm

npe wrote:No problem, friend. How are your apps going? Got dings last week from Miami SA and Manhattan DA, which kind of stung. Especially pissed about Manhattan; the 1st-round interviewer seemed like he couldn't wait to get out of there and asked maybe three questions. But I have a final round at another office in the next couple weeks.

This process sucks, no?

It does suck, yes. I have something going on right now but can't give details just yet. Good luck on that office!

Geist13
Posts: 739
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Geist13 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:05 pm

How much is not taking crim pro until 3rd year going to hurt me for applications next year? Basically I planned to take it second semester this year, but the school just changed the schedule around and now crim pro and evidence are being offered at the same time (which is the stupidest fucking thing I've ever heard). I can only take trial skills if I am taking evidence concurrently (or have already taken it). So for my crim law courses I have to choose between crim pro alone or evidence and trial skills. There's another section of evidence I could take but it conflicts with federal courts which I need to have on my transcript for clerkship applications if I decide to take that route.

User avatar
leobowski
Posts: 511
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:11 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby leobowski » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:29 pm

Geist13 wrote:How much is not taking crim pro until 3rd year going to hurt me for applications next year? Basically I planned to take it second semester this year, but the school just changed the schedule around and now crim pro and evidence are being offered at the same time (which is the stupidest fucking thing I've ever heard). I can only take trial skills if I am taking evidence concurrently (or have already taken it). So for my crim law courses I have to choose between crim pro alone or evidence and trial skills. There's another section of evidence I could take but it conflicts with federal courts which I need to have on my transcript for clerkship applications if I decide to take that route.



Uhh you need to take crim pro+ evidence your 2L year if at all possible (assuming you're talking about 2L student-practice internships). Don't worry about taking fed courts 2L year. Postpone it until 3rd year. It was never an issue for me in the fed clerkship process

llachans
Posts: 597
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:54 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby llachans » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:43 pm

I'm applying this cycle. My dream is to be a DA after graduation.

I don't have the greatest stats (3.5/160). Because I won't be graduating from a *top* law school, how necessary is it that I go to a school with a prosecution clinic?

In addition, I've heard great things about Southwestern Law. It's much lower ranked than other schools I could get into but due to its trend of placing so many grads as DAs, is it worth it to consider it?

Thanks for any input. I just want to put myself in a situation that allows me to suceed as a DA from the start.

adonai
Posts: 1033
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:09 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby adonai » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:20 pm

llachans wrote:I'm applying this cycle. My dream is to be a DA after graduation.

I don't have the greatest stats (3.5/160). Because I won't be graduating from a *top* law school, how necessary is it that I go to a school with a prosecution clinic?

In addition, I've heard great things about Southwestern Law. It's much lower ranked than other schools I could get into but due to its trend of placing so many grads as DAs, is it worth it to consider it?

Thanks for any input. I just want to put myself in a situation that allows me to suceed as a DA from the start.

Southwestern is great for LADA. It is the 2nd largest represented school behind Loyola. LADA is opening up hiring again this fall, and although it will be extremely competitive, as addressed in an earlier post they are maintaining their budget really well so hopefully this will continue a few years from now. Prosecution clinic is probably not necessary. SW doesn't even have one and the school places well. Commitment and who you know will help more. With your stats you would probably get a substantial scholarship, although since SW doesn't have an LRAP program you'd have to look into IBR. My advice is to start volunteering at the DAs now as a 0L and network. Do a good job and make yourself known for that.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby A'nold » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:23 am

llachans wrote:I'm applying this cycle. My dream is to be a DA after graduation.

I don't have the greatest stats (3.5/160). Because I won't be graduating from a *top* law school, how necessary is it that I go to a school with a prosecution clinic?

In addition, I've heard great things about Southwestern Law. It's much lower ranked than other schools I could get into but due to its trend of placing so many grads as DAs, is it worth it to consider it?

Thanks for any input. I just want to put myself in a situation that allows me to suceed as a DA from the start.

School matters much less from what I've seen. IBR is your friend, as was stated above. Experience and recommendations seem to be the most important things.

llachans
Posts: 597
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:54 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby llachans » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:22 pm

Thanks for all of the advice. One more question!

I really don't have any geographical preference. That might be weird to some people but I don't have any ties to where I currently live so I'm pretty flexible when it comes to school/post-grad living.

What markets are the best for prosecutors? Additionally, how is Chicago's market? I know Northwestern & Chicago dominate the market (as well as Iowa, MN, WI, IN, etc. elbowing their way in), but are lower-ranked schools like Kent/Loyola/DePaul struggling to place students as far as DA positions go?

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby A'nold » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:57 pm

llachans wrote:Thanks for all of the advice. One more question!

I really don't have any geographical preference. That might be weird to some people but I don't have any ties to where I currently live so I'm pretty flexible when it comes to school/post-grad living.

What markets are the best for prosecutors? Additionally, how is Chicago's market? I know Northwestern & Chicago dominate the market (as well as Iowa, MN, WI, IN, etc. elbowing their way in), but are lower-ranked schools like Kent/Loyola/DePaul struggling to place students as far as DA positions go?

IMHO, it would be beneficial to go to a school in the area you have the strongest ties to, as employers often ask why their office. If you give a generic "I like it here" kind of answer, it seems to hurt your chances. This is all my opinion though and I could be completely wrong. Going to school in the area I grew up has certainly helped me so far.

llachans
Posts: 597
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:54 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby llachans » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:47 pm

A'nold wrote:
llachans wrote:Thanks for all of the advice. One more question!

I really don't have any geographical preference. That might be weird to some people but I don't have any ties to where I currently live so I'm pretty flexible when it comes to school/post-grad living.

What markets are the best for prosecutors? Additionally, how is Chicago's market? I know Northwestern & Chicago dominate the market (as well as Iowa, MN, WI, IN, etc. elbowing their way in), but are lower-ranked schools like Kent/Loyola/DePaul struggling to place students as far as DA positions go?

IMHO, it would be beneficial to go to a school in the area you have the strongest ties to, as employers often ask why their office. If you give a generic "I like it here" kind of answer, it seems to hurt your chances. This is all my opinion though and I could be completely wrong. Going to school in the area I grew up has certainly helped me so far.



Thanks for the advice. Honestly though, I really dislike the Midwest and have been waiting to get out for awhile.

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4852
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Borhas » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:50 pm

Good news for us:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/ ... story.html

IBR now requires 10% of disposable income as minimum payment instead of 15%, that should make life easier
(it also reduces 25year forgiveness to 20 year, but as a PD/DA we'd qualify for the 10 year forgiveness, so that's more of a moot point)

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7116
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby los blancos » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:25 pm

Flash wrote:Is anybody going for a spot with the Cook County SA's office?



Yep, for the summer. Hoping to do the academy as well. I think I have a really strong application; we'll see what happens.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby A'nold » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:43 am

Borhas wrote:Good news for us:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/ ... story.html

IBR now requires 10% of disposable income as minimum payment instead of 15%, that should make life easier
(it also reduces 25year forgiveness to 20 year, but as a PD/DA we'd qualify for the 10 year forgiveness, so that's more of a moot point)

I don't really get how this works. So, will my UG stafford loans qualify even though I got them before 2008?

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4852
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Borhas » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:13 am

A'nold wrote:
Borhas wrote:Good news for us:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/ ... story.html

IBR now requires 10% of disposable income as minimum payment instead of 15%, that should make life easier
(it also reduces 25year forgiveness to 20 year, but as a PD/DA we'd qualify for the 10 year forgiveness, so that's more of a moot point)

I don't really get how this works. So, will my UG stafford loans qualify even though I got them before 2008?


If you take out a new federal loan next year (as in January?), then maybe

If you consolidate your federal loans next year, then maybe....

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby A'nold » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:47 pm

Borhas wrote:
A'nold wrote:
Borhas wrote:Good news for us:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/ ... story.html

IBR now requires 10% of disposable income as minimum payment instead of 15%, that should make life easier
(it also reduces 25year forgiveness to 20 year, but as a PD/DA we'd qualify for the 10 year forgiveness, so that's more of a moot point)

I don't really get how this works. So, will my UG stafford loans qualify even though I got them before 2008?


If you take out a new federal loan next year (as in January?), then maybe

If you consolidate your federal loans next year, then maybe....

Haha, yeah, it's all maybe's right now.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273153
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:29 pm

Phone interview invitation from Bronx Defenders for a summer internship after a mass mail earlier this semester! Woohoo!!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby A'nold » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Phone interview invitation from Bronx Defenders today for a summer internship after a mass mail earlier this semester! Woohoo!!

Wohoo!

purr se
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:23 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby purr se » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Phone interview invitation from Bronx Defenders for a summer internship after a mass mail earlier this semester! Woohoo!!


Ahh, congrats! That's my dream job - fingers crossed for the same.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273153
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:43 pm

Miami Dade just sent me a snail mail offer to interview. I will have to cover travel expenses which stinks but isn't totally unexpected.

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby FlanAl » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:22 pm

Borhas wrote:
1. volunteer in some sort of program that helps poor people as soon as you can
2. apply as soon as you can. I applied at PI/PS day, so it was sort of an OCI type experience. It's always better to apply early, even if you have no grades
3. mention that you are a San Diego native in your cover letter

hope that helps, if you get an interview I posted something about my interview in this thread, good luck!


Hey just saw your post. Thanks for the tips! Will they probably have the same 12/1 rule as firms? I saw a discussion earlier in the thread about speaking spanish being a benefit, will not speaking spanish be a big disadvantage?

Thanks again for your help

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby A'nold » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Miami Dade just sent me a snail mail offer to interview. I will have to cover travel expenses which stinks but isn't totally unexpected.

Congrats. How far away are you?

Edit: And this once again brings up my "when do we mass mail" question........when do we mass mail?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273153
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:44 pm

A'nold wrote:Congrats. How far away are you?

Edit: And this once again brings up my "when do we mass mail" question........when do we mass mail?


I'm a 3L in Atlanta. Airfare is around $200 round trip, plus hotel. I applied online at the end of September and this is first time I have heard back.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.