How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So just heard today that PDS isn't hiring for 2014 grads, can anyone confirm?

Oof. What's the source on that?

Another law student. But PDS comes to my school every year for interviews, but this year they are only resume collecting. Trying to confirm if others know about this, maybe PDS interns?

I have a friend who's interning at PDS this summer, and it looks like they may be hiring a class of only one or two this year. Last year's was pretty big, supposedly.

hopin10

Postby hopin10 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:19 pm

BlueLotus wrote:Does Philly PD hire pre-bar?

Yes.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:56 pm

I'm getting confused as I start applying to all this stuff. This thread has hammered into me that one of the best ways to get a PD job is to apply through EJW.

But EJW involves coming up with your own "project" for the fellowship? What do people for a public defense project? Do they propose focusing a caseload on a certain type of case or something?

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:49 pm

Tanicius wrote:I'm getting confused as I start applying to all this stuff. This thread has hammered into me that one of the best ways to get a PD job is to apply through EJW.

But EJW involves coming up with your own "project" for the fellowship? What do people for a public defense project? Do they propose focusing a caseload on a certain type of case or something?

no no no

There is the EJW career fair, and the EJW fellowship

different things

here is a link to the fair:

http://www.equaljusticeworks.org/law-sc ... careerfair

there are 10 PD agencies recruiting (fewer for 3L's probably) and more will sign up before it starts probably. I highly suggest going after Colorado. Colorado PD's just got a raise, and they hire a pretty big class every year.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:54 pm

Borhas wrote:
Tanicius wrote:I'm getting confused as I start applying to all this stuff. This thread has hammered into me that one of the best ways to get a PD job is to apply through EJW.

no no no

different things

there are 10 PD agencies recruiting (fewer for 3L's probably) and more will sign up before it starts probably. I highly suggest going after Colorado. Colorado PD's just got a raise, and they hire a pretty big class every year.

You're a life saver. Maybe sometime I can also call you a coworker.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:53 pm

I'm really sorry that this question has been asked a million times, but I want to finally solidify a list. What other PD offices hired last year but didn't do it through EJW? I'm looking at the EJW '13 and '12 lists, and so far, people have said that these offices are hiring, although they are not listed on EJW:

Cook County PD (I even saw one person saying they don't hire pre-bar at all)
Alameda County PD (paid post-bar clerkship)
San Diego County PD (paid post-bar clerkship)
Contra Costa County PD (paid post-bar clerkship)

adonai

Postby adonai » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:16 pm

What's the next best thing I can coursewise do if I can't get into any crim courses? My school is crap and only offers a FEW in a single YEAR with minimal spots and of course they all get waitlisted to the brim.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:38 pm

adonai wrote:What's the next best thing I can coursewise do if I can't get into any crim courses? My school is crap and only offers a FEW in a single YEAR with minimal spots and of course they all get waitlisted to the brim.

Skillz courses.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:22 pm

Tanicius wrote:
adonai wrote:What's the next best thing I can coursewise do if I can't get into any crim courses? My school is crap and only offers a FEW in a single YEAR with minimal spots and of course they all get waitlisted to the brim.

Skillz courses.

Trial Ad or Trial Objection, anything w/ a heavy focus on the law of Evidence

those are actually more useful than crim law classes

adonai

Postby adonai » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:49 pm

Borhas wrote:
Tanicius wrote:

Skillz courses.

Trial Ad or Trial Objection, anything w/ a heavy focus on the law of Evidence

those are actually more useful than crim law classes

It is hard to choose when all that's left is a bunch of entertainment law courses and pointless Law and X classes.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:51 pm

hopin10 wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:Does Philly PD hire pre-bar?

Yes.

Do they do ejw, or do I need to apply directly?

akili

Postby akili » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:26 am

Is EJW worth it for DA-gunner? Last year I think Mecklenburg was the only DA office (I could be wrong)

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:49 am

akili wrote:Is EJW worth it for DA-gunner? Last year I think Mecklenburg was the only DA office (I could be wrong)

nope

lala7

Postby lala7 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:24 am

Do people switch from PD to DA? I want prosecution but it seems like more PD offices hire pre-bar than DA offices. Would it be a waste of time to go for a PD position with the hopes of switching to DA?

laddiemort

Postby laddiemort » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:41 am

lala7 wrote:Do people switch from PD to DA? I want prosecution but it seems like more PD offices hire pre-bar than DA offices. Would it be a waste of time to go for a PD position with the hopes of switching to DA?

Common wisdom seems to hold that it is much easier to switch from PD to DA than the other way around.

target

Postby target » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:07 am

Borhas wrote:

no no no

different things

If I am lucky enough to get a EJW fellowship, do you think it will limit my career to legal aid or PD?

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:16 am

Sorry I don't know

My guess is yes to some extent, but not as much as if you were actually PD or legal aid work

Also depends on the project

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:46 pm

Will it look bad that I will have interned with 3 different prosecution offices?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:Will it look bad that I will have interned with 3 different prosecution offices?

Assuming you are a DA gunner, no I think it shows you are committed to being a prosecutor and you don't care where, spin it like you are more committed to the cause versus one geographic location. You can def spin that into a positive in your cover letter: exposure to different office culture, defendants, crimes, etc. If you are a PD gunner, then yeah that looks bad for most offices.

hopin10

Postby hopin10 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:07 am

Tanicius wrote:I'm really sorry that this question has been asked a million times, but I want to finally solidify a list. What other PD offices hired last year but didn't do it through EJW? I'm looking at the EJW '13 and '12 lists, and so far, people have said that these offices are hiring, although they are not listed on EJW:

As you noted, none of the California offices come to EJW.

Neither does NJ or PDS. Many FL offices also hire pre-bar, but only two came to EJW last year.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:36 am

hopin10 wrote:
Tanicius wrote:I'm really sorry that this question has been asked a million times, but I want to finally solidify a list. What other PD offices hired last year but didn't do it through EJW? I'm looking at the EJW '13 and '12 lists, and so far, people have said that these offices are hiring, although they are not listed on EJW:

Neither does NJ or PDS. Many FL offices also hire pre-bar, but only two came to EJW last year.

Is NJ hiring more pre-bar now? What other offices in FL hire pre-bar (I know Miami and West Palm do)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Will it look bad that I will have interned with 3 different prosecution offices?

Assuming you are a DA gunner, no I think it shows you are committed to being a prosecutor and you don't care where, spin it like you are more committed to the cause versus one geographic location. You can def spin that into a positive in your cover letter: exposure to different office culture, defendants, crimes, etc. If you are a PD gunner, then yeah that looks bad for most offices.

What he said. I interned at 2 other offices. I turned down interning at the office I eventually got hired at full time twice.

hopin10

Postby hopin10 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:48 pm

robin600 wrote:
hopin10 wrote:

Is NJ hiring more pre-bar now? What other offices in FL hire pre-bar (I know Miami and West Palm do)?

Yes, NJ just started hiring pre-bar about two years ago. Last year, they came to NYC-area schools (CLS, NYU's career fair, maybe others?) and interviewed on-campus. I'd suspect they're also open to applications from folks outside the NYC area.

In FL, I believe Broward (Fort Lauderdale) also hires pre-bar. Each judicial district down there has its own PD office, so you may have to do some digging to figure out which others do.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:12 pm

There used to be an EJW public defender corps that wasn't as project oriented, it got cut. Speaking of EJW though, they sent out a survey email a few months ago to try and get a feel for how many law students would be interested in a program that linked PD offices looking for people with 3Ls looking for jobs. I hope that they actually get something like this going soon, so far this thread seems to be the best resource on the internet.

MoonDreamer

Postby MoonDreamer » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:09 am

I did a PD interview once. They did this mini-trial with me and gave me 10 minutes to come up with a closing. I was like "is this some sort of joke? I'm not doing a closing." The interviewers were shocked and were like "well...the closing is part of the interview..." I responded saying "looks like im done here. thank you for your time." Walked out.

Return to “Legal Employment”