How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:33 pm

What are some public defender offices that allow interns to really have clients and cases? I know a lot of places have certified students to do some courtroom work, but I want to have my own cases. I received an offer from a CPCS office, but was told I would only be able to do bail hearings and pre-trial motions. The said I could also do client interviews and jail visits, but definitely no trials.

I know Colorado gives certified interns a caseload, but does any other office do this? I am looking for something during the school year, and I am willing to work anywhere in the US (except Alaska). My school will let me get credit for the full-time externship if I can't "visit" a school near the internship.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What are some public defender offices that allow interns to really have clients and cases? I know a lot of places have certified students to do some courtroom work, but I want to have my own cases. I received an offer from a CPCS office, but was told I would only be able to do bail hearings and pre-trial motions. The said I could also do client interviews and jail visits, but definitely no trials.

I know Colorado gives certified interns a caseload, but does any other office do this? I am looking for something during the school year, and I am willing to work anywhere in the US (except Alaska). My school will let me get credit for the full-time externship if I can't "visit" a school near the internship.

My 1L office in Ventura California seemed to do this. Or at least the only certified 2L got to speak in court often and if i'm not mistaken did at least one misdemeanor jury trial with supervision.

wbrother

Postby wbrother » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:52 pm

Does anyone have experience spending a summer as Gideon's Promise Clerk? I know TCR is usually spending the summer in the office you want to work in, but would special programs like this give you more of a bump than just working in some random non-target office?

jml8756

Postby jml8756 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:36 am

wbrother wrote:Does anyone have experience spending a summer as Gideon's Promise Clerk? I know TCR is usually spending the summer in the office you want to work in, but would special programs like this give you more of a bump than just working in some random non-target office?

Not sure I really understand the point of going through this program. It looks identical to a summer practicum class that any law school would probably offer. Why not just apply directly to the office you're interested in? I don't think this program would give you any sort of bump, unless whoever's in charge of the program has some influence and could give you a good recommendation on top of the PDs you'd be working with.

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:21 pm

wbrother wrote:Does anyone have experience spending a summer as Gideon's Promise Clerk? I know TCR is usually spending the summer in the office you want to work in, but would special programs like this give you more of a bump than just working in some random non-target office?

2L year yes you should look to intern with your target office, but that program looks like it could be a really great option for 1Ls. The training is probably better than what a 1L would get at most offices and I do think it would look good on a resume (Gideon's Promise is the new name of the Southern Public Defender Training Center for anyone who doesn't know).

wbrother

Postby wbrother » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:12 pm

seatown12 wrote:

2L year yes you should look to intern with your target office, but that program looks like it could be a really great option for 1Ls. The training is probably better than what a 1L would get at most offices and I do think it would look good on a resume (Gideon's Promise is the new name of the Southern Public Defender Training Center for anyone who doesn't know).

0L here (if it wasn't obvious.) Yeah, I was thinking about trying to do it for my 1L summer. In addition to the training, I was thinking it could help me establish ties in a secondary market in case getting CA PD hiring doesn't work out. I was also thinking having this on my resume would show a strong commitment to PD work, since I was willing to travel to do it. Do you guys think potential employers would think the same?

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:32 pm

wbrother wrote:
seatown12 wrote:

0L here (if it wasn't obvious.) Yeah, I was thinking about trying to do it for my 1L summer. In addition to the training, I was thinking it could help me establish ties in a secondary market in case getting CA PD hiring doesn't work out. I was also thinking having this on my resume would show a strong commitment to PD work, since I was willing to travel to do it. Do you guys think potential employers would think the same?

Yes.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:53 am

wbrother wrote:
seatown12 wrote:

It's good for 1L summer, and yes the main dudes at that program have a ton of PD connections.

gdane

Postby gdane » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:59 pm

Is there anything I can start doing to help my chances of being hired in another city's DA office? Currently in Miami, but I'd like to go to Manhattan or, preferably, Boston.

I'll be at the U.S. Attorney's Office this summer and I'll be working at the Miami SAO in the fall. Any tips for other stuff I can do?

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:01 pm

not sure if your school offers this, but I have seen interns in our PD system that took an entire semester as an internship (and thus, they got an apartment for 4 months or so). I'm not sure if the places you want to go would even be cool with that, but its certainly an option. Also, network. For example, if you want to be a federal defender in Miami and a prof at your school is a former federal defender from that office, you should get to know him/her. Same thing with the DA's offices. Even if your profs didn't work there, I bet they know someone that did and can get you in touch with that person. Also, get grades, be super attractive and get lucky. :)

also, the SPDTC (gideon's promise now?) is awesome. I think personally I would rather try cases myself (2L+), but if you can do it as a 1L or something, it would probably be pretty good for your career. A prof at our school is an instructor there, and from the way it is described, it sounds not only like an amazing learning experience, but a really fun time, too.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:02 am

gdane wrote:Is there anything I can start doing to help my chances of being hired in another city's DA office? Currently in Miami, but I'd like to go to Manhattan or, preferably, Boston.

I'll be at the U.S. Attorney's Office this summer and I'll be working at the Miami SAO in the fall. Any tips for other stuff I can do?

transfer to Harvard

gdane

Postby gdane » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:11 am

Borhas wrote:transfer to Harvard

Haha. I'd be gunning for DoJ Honors with Harvard on my resume. :wink:

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:23 am

gdane wrote:
Borhas wrote:transfer to Harvard

Haha. I'd be gunning for DoJ Honors with Harvard on my resume. :wink:

I was being serious

gdane

Postby gdane » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:54 am

[quote="Borhas]

I was being serious[/quote]
Any less impossible suggestions?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What are some public defender offices that allow interns to really have clients and cases? I know a lot of places have certified students to do some courtroom work, but I want to have my own cases. I received an offer from a CPCS office, but was told I would only be able to do bail hearings and pre-trial motions. The said I could also do client interviews and jail visits, but definitely no trials.

Wisconsin. Your best bet for a school year internship is probably the Milwaukee office since it is quite busy and they can always use the extra help.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:59 pm

Have public defender summer internship coming up as a 2L. Advice on how to make the best of the opportunity?

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:Have public defender summer internship coming up as a 2L. Advice on how to make the best of the opportunity?

Seek out work before it comes to you

Seek out work that leads to hearings in a short time: e.g. suppression motions

Seek out work that leads to no time waived trials e.g. immigrants charged w/ crimes that would get them deported if they plead guilty

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have an idea what the final interview with BDS is like? Did not really get any information about it, so I'm not sure what to expect.

Not sure if you had yours already, but I just had mine a couple days ago and there was nothing to it. When I asked them they told me it would be a panel interview, but it was really just a sit down and chat with Lisa Schreibersdorf and a couple other higher ups. Very informal. Why do you want to be here? What do you like about being a PD? etc. It was definitely just so they can make sure the people who reviewed you earlier weren't out of their minds.

There's some good news and bad news. Essentially, she said if she's meeting with you you're almost certainly getting an offer if they get funded, BUT they are not certain they're getting funded until after they submit a proposal to the city and meet with them in April sometime.

Was the final round with Lisa your second or third interview and also, was your process 2 or 3 interviews total? I had my first-round about 2-3 weeks ago and I'm waiting to hear about continuing on but wasn't sure where I stand exactly. Thanks!

I'm the poster from above. I had 3 interviews.

Interview 1 was OCI and was probably the roughest first interview I've had. The 2 people I interviewed with threw out a few hypos and pushed back on almost everything I said.

Interview 2 was in Fall some time. It was a mock bail hearing and hypos and questions afterward. Most definitely the toughest interview I have ever had. It lasted about an hour and a half or hour and 45. 3 interviewers - 1 as DA, 1 as Judge, and 1 as client. I had never done a bail hearing (having never worked in a PD office or done a PD clinic) and I only knew it was coming because I asked a Prof who knew someone what they interview would be like. They call you out on all your mistakes and then afterward change facts and press you on what you would have done and what you would do now.

Interview 3 was the above mentioned meeting with Lisa.

Hope this helps. Good luck everyone!

thanks so much for posting this! Are you this cycle or a previous year? If this year: good luck & have you heard yet? Do you know how long it generally takes for them to extend offers? Sounds like 3rd round is little more than a formality? Thanks again!!!

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:47 am

CA offices:

San Diego
Marin
Contra Costa
Alameda (limited extent)

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:54 pm

Borhas wrote:

CA offices:

San Diego
Marin
Contra Costa
Alameda (limited extent)

Contra Costa does not give law student interns their own cases.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:42 pm

You can still argue motions to suppress right? That's the standard I go by

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:45 pm

Yeah. The person above is looking for offices that give caseloads though - representing the client from probable cause hearing through trial.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:41 pm

In that case only Marin and San Diego let people do misdo trials

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:44 pm

I'm the BDS poster from above.

I am this cycle. I haven't heard anything from them, but I believe their timeline for getting back to me was around April 15, so I'm not too concerned yet. I'll probably be calling them next week some time if I still haven't heard anything.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm the BDS poster from above.

I am this cycle. I haven't heard anything from them, but I believe their timeline for getting back to me was around April 15, so I'm not too concerned yet. I'll probably be calling them next week some time if I still haven't heard anything.

Ahh, gotcha. Last I heard, they are still waiting on funding, but had no concrete date because the city hasn't told them when yet either. Good luck!

Return to “Legal Employment”