How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:18 pm

How bad would it be to renege on an offer I accepted (for one in my home market/where I intend on working after graduation)?

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How bad would it be to renege on an offer I accepted (for one in my home market/where I intend on working after graduation)?

Need more info. Why renege?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:27 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How bad would it be to renege on an offer I accepted (for one in my home market/where I intend on working after graduation)?

I got an offer (5 months after the first one) to work in my home state (vs. school state)

I feel really bad, but the new offer would much better for networking, plus I could live at home.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

I got an offer (5 months after the first one) to work in my home state (vs. school state)

I feel really bad, but the new offer would much better for networking, plus I could live at home.

Sorry, I had RC fail. You ever planning to come back to school market?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:21 am

spleenworship wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

Sorry, I had RC fail. You ever planning to come back to school market?

Probably not. I mean if there was a chance of post-grad employment with them, I would stay. But that doesn't seem likely and I wouldn't take the bar a state without a job lined up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

You ever planning to come back to school market?

Probably not. I mean if there was a chance of post-grad employment with them, I would stay. But that doesn't seem likely and I wouldn't take the bar a state without a job lined up.

The only downside to reneging is that you will burn that bridge, but if they weren't likely to offer you a job anyway that's no real loss. You have to do what's best for your career and long term future.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

You ever planning to come back to school market?

The only downside to reneging is that you will burn that bridge, but if they weren't likely to offer you a job anyway that's no real loss. You have to do what's best for your career and long term future.

This.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:04 pm

So, as a 2L, I realized it's not going to be too long actually before I need to start thinking about places to apply to for real jobs instead of internships. A lot of people have been discussing some of the more prestigious PD jobs that hire graduates pre-bar. Could we come up with a list of places that hire before the bar exam, and compile as well their application deadlines?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:37 pm

Tanicius wrote:So, as a 2L, I realized it's not going to be too long actually before I need to start thinking about places to apply to for real jobs instead of internships. A lot of people have been discussing some of the more prestigious PD jobs that hire graduates pre-bar. Could we come up with a list of places that hire before the bar exam, and compile as well their application deadlines?

Have you gone through this whole thread? Because I could swear someone at least started a list like that, back... oh, probably 30 pp by now?

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:46 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Tanicius wrote:So, as a 2L, I realized it's not going to be too long actually before I need to start thinking about places to apply to for real jobs instead of internships. A lot of people have been discussing some of the more prestigious PD jobs that hire graduates pre-bar. Could we come up with a list of places that hire before the bar exam, and compile as well their application deadlines?

Have you gone through this whole thread? Because I could swear someone at least started a list like that, back... oh, probably 30 pp by now?

I have, and my recollection is that someone may have. Would prefer to dodge an hour of scrolling and make a comprehensive list anyway, but I'll update later.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:54 pm

Tanicius wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

I have, and my recollection is that someone may have. Would prefer to dodge an hour of scrolling and make a comprehensive list anyway, but I'll update later.

All hail the search box at the bottom of the page: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=155423&start=1575#p6343466

gdane

Postby gdane » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:08 pm

Don't be a dick.

I'm in the same boat as Tan, but with prosecution. Ideally I'd like to go to NYC or Boston, but it seems like they take forever to do their hiring. Miami seems to have their decisions in much earlier than the aforementioned offices. How does the bar taking process happen if you're not sure where you'll be? Boston says they make their decisions in June. That would only give someone month to take the MA bar?

Rootbeer

Postby Rootbeer » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:10 pm

^--- Take it as a hint...they don't like carpetbaggers.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:11 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

All hail the search box at the bottom of the page: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=155423&start=1575#p6343466

Right, I'm looking for where it specifies here when the applications start and end and am not seeing it, but thanks for the totally-not-snarky attempt at help.

For the record, the list according to previous posts:

PUBLIC DEFENSE
Unsure:
Brooklyn

No transcript:
Bronx
Colorado
Mecklenberg Co (NC)
Miami
New Jersey
Palm Beach
Philly
San Diego Fed

Requires transcript:
Alameda Co
CPCS
Contra Costa Co
Legal Aid Society
New Hampshire
Prettyman Fellowship
PDS
San Diego Co

PROSECUTION
Unsure:
Brooklyn
San Francisco
Suffolk Co (MA)

Requires transcript:
Bronx
Cook Co
Manhattan
Miami
Philly
Queens

I'm assuming not all of these can be applied to through one single interview program like EJW. Some of these I'm not sure hire 3Ls/recent law grads at all (San Francisco). Anyone who's been through the routine want to help us spiff up the list?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:38 pm

Okay, clearly next time I will have to add a lot of smilies to indicate my intent not to be snarky (but seriously, the search box is an amazing thing and there's a lot of good stuff in this thread).

Also, at the top of that post it states that it's a list of places that hire pre-bar. Sorry it doesn't include deadlines, but I did say someone had started the list, not that it was comprehensive.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:40 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Okay, clearly next time I will have to add a lot of smilies to indicate my intent not to be snarky (but seriously, the search box is an amazing thing and there's a lot of good stuff in this thread).

Also, at the top of that post it states that it's a list of places that hire pre-bar. Sorry it doesn't include deadlines, but I did say someone had started the list, not that it was comprehensive.

The reason I ask about deadlines is cause I'm pretty sure we need to apply to a lot of these places in the fall of our 3L year.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:55 pm

Tanicius wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Okay, clearly next time I will have to add a lot of smilies to indicate my intent not to be snarky (but seriously, the search box is an amazing thing and there's a lot of good stuff in this thread).

The reason I ask about deadlines is cause I'm pretty sure we need to apply to a lot of these places in the fall of our 3L year.

I think that's right, and it totally makes sense that you want to know deadlines - I'm afraid I just don't know them, is all.

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:45 am

Tanicius wrote:I'm assuming not all of these can be applied to through one single interview program like EJW. Some of these I'm not sure hire 3Ls/recent law grads at all (San Francisco). Anyone who's been through the routine want to help us spiff up the list?

I would assume most offices will start taking applications in the fall so have your materials prepped and watch websites for offices you're interested in.

PUBLIC DEFENSE

At EJW:
Alaska
Brooklyn
Bronx
Colorado
CPCS
Hennepin County (MN)
Knox County (TN)
Legal Aid Society
Mecklenberg County (NC)
Miami
New Hampshire
NDS Harlem [possibly 2Ls only]
Orleans
Palm Beach
San Diego Fed

Don't Know:
Alameda County
Contra Costa County
New Jersey
Philly
Prettyman Fellowship
PDS [came to my OCI]
San Diego County [announced post-grad clerkship in spring]

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have an idea what the final interview with BDS is like? Did not really get any information about it, so I'm not sure what to expect.

Not sure if you had yours already, but I just had mine a couple days ago and there was nothing to it. When I asked them they told me it would be a panel interview, but it was really just a sit down and chat with Lisa Schreibersdorf and a couple other higher ups. Very informal. Why do you want to be here? What do you like about being a PD? etc. It was definitely just so they can make sure the people who reviewed you earlier weren't out of their minds.

There's some good news and bad news. Essentially, she said if she's meeting with you you're almost certainly getting an offer if they get funded, BUT they are not certain they're getting funded until after they submit a proposal to the city and meet with them in April sometime.

Was the final round with Lisa your second or third interview and also, was your process 2 or 3 interviews total? I had my first-round about 2-3 weeks ago and I'm waiting to hear about continuing on but wasn't sure where I stand exactly. Thanks!

also curious about this

I'm the poster from above. I had 3 interviews.

Interview 1 was OCI and was probably the roughest first interview I've had. The 2 people I interviewed with threw out a few hypos and pushed back on almost everything I said.

Interview 2 was in Fall some time. It was a mock bail hearing and hypos and questions afterward. Most definitely the toughest interview I have ever had. It lasted about an hour and a half or hour and 45. 3 interviewers - 1 as DA, 1 as Judge, and 1 as client. I had never done a bail hearing (having never worked in a PD office or done a PD clinic) and I only knew it was coming because I asked a Prof who knew someone what they interview would be like. They call you out on all your mistakes and then afterward change facts and press you on what you would have done and what you would do now.

Interview 3 was the above mentioned meeting with Lisa.

Hope this helps. Good luck everyone!

Rocío

Postby Rocío » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:31 pm

gdane wrote:Don't be a dick.

I'm in the same boat as Tan, but with prosecution. Ideally I'd like to go to NYC or Boston, but it seems like they take forever to do their hiring. Miami seems to have their decisions in much earlier than the aforementioned offices. How does the bar taking process happen if you're not sure where you'll be? Boston says they make their decisions in June. That would only give someone month to take the MA bar?

Last year I was still interviewing when I had to register for the bar exam, so I decided to register for the two states where I most wanted to work and where I was still in the running. Thankfully, it ended up working out. If you're still interviewing when the bar deadlines come up, you might have to make the same gamble. That being said, I do know one attorney who was still interviewing with New York and Philly PD offices but did not want to take two bar exams (or couldn't afford to). She explained to the Philadelphia PD office that she did not have money to register for two bar exams. Philly told her that it couldn't yet extend her an offer, but told her to register for just Pennsylvania. She got the offer from Philly PD eventually. Personally, I would be too nervous to have put all my eggs in that one basket, but you should try to use the bar registration deadlines to your advantage if some office is taking its sweet time.

gdane

Postby gdane » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:36 pm

Thanks for the advice. I've been thinking about this scenario lately and it concerns me. I don't mind taking more than one state's bar exam; I'm concerned with taking them with little to no time to prepare.

Rocío

Postby Rocío » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:42 pm

gdane wrote:Thanks for the advice. I've been thinking about this scenario lately and it concerns me. I don't mind taking more than one state's bar exam; I'm concerned with taking them with little to no time to prepare.

Are you taking a course, like BarBri? Last year, I had to sign up for two bar exams. I signed up for the New York BarBri course because it was the more comprehensive of the two states, and got materials through BarBri for my second state. Most people who take two exams only study for the more difficult one, and do fine. I spent almost no time learning the second state's law, for instance, and passed.

gdane

Postby gdane » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:54 pm

Rocío wrote:Are you taking a course, like BarBri? Last year, I had to sign up for two bar exams. I signed up for the New York BarBri course because it was the more comprehensive of the two states, and got materials through BarBri for my second state. Most people who take two exams only study for the more difficult one, and do fine. I spent almost no time learning the second state's law, for instance, and passed.

I'm not signed up to take any courses yet. I'll take your advice though. It sounds solid. I may possibly have to prepare for three states though, , FL, MA, and NY, depending on how long offers take to come back. Crazy?

Rocío

Postby Rocío » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:11 pm

gdane wrote:
Rocío wrote:Are you taking a course, like BarBri? Last year, I had to sign up for two bar exams. I signed up for the New York BarBri course because it was the more comprehensive of the two states, and got materials through BarBri for my second state. Most people who take two exams only study for the more difficult one, and do fine. I spent almost no time learning the second state's law, for instance, and passed.

I'm not signed up to take any courses yet. I'll take your advice though. It sounds solid. I may possibly have to prepare for three states though, , FL, MA, and NY, depending on how long offers take to come back. Crazy?

You might want to consider just doing BarBri online so that you can switch your course if you need to last minute. You can take MA and FL simultaneously (one of my friends took a red eye flight from Miami to Boston, brutal), or MA and NY simultaneously, but not FL and NY. I don't think the bar registration fees are refundable, so since you'll only be able to take two, you might want to look into that. Also, MA's fee is crazy high, like over $800 (not to mention the Examsoft fees and laptop fees on top of it). And just ask BarBri's advice for which course to take: sign up for NY if you are taking NY and MA, and sign up for FL if you are taking FL and MA.

gdane

Postby gdane » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:27 pm

Wow. That's some crazy stuff right there. Thanks for the info.

Return to “Legal Employment”