How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Void

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Void » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:37 pm

I posted this in the 3L pd thread, bit I'll try again here: Could anyone who is applying/has applied for a post-grad position (i.e. not a summer or law school internship) at NJ PD please send me a PM? Thanks a lot.

jddt19

Postby jddt19 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:37 pm

To the folks who asked questions about being new ASAs:

1) Learn to leave the job at the workplace (not in the sense of not taking work home- you likely will- but stuff that you see/ deal with); trust me on this, I completely flunked at this and it affects everything else. As for learning to prioritize, learn the informal hierarchy that SA's offices have. For example, your first line supervisor is probably lower on the totem pole then a detective who does murders for the higher-ups. If that detective wants something, know that not doing it quick means he's calling a boss. As for the caseload, it's probably going to be overwhelming and (at least from what I experienced) you're going to lose cases. A lot of cases. It mostly isn't on you. I made a point of asking the Judge after every loss (you can't after a win b/c there are appeal issues and Judge can't comment) what I might've done to do better. Mostly I got "nothing you could do, bad facts, bad witness, lousy case" and the other times I got good feedback (like I didn't amend a charging doc mid trial b/c I didn't think I could- I was wrong- after the 'vic' claimed the car keyed wasn't his). Plus, this also builds you an alibi if the office gossip (and the office I was in did gossip and was insanely political, and that's the rule rather then the exception) says you suck and don't win trials. Literally, my boss flat out asked my Judge why I lost these cases and my Judge told him that 'the cases suck and you make him try them' (we had a policy of not dismissing any domestic violence charges).'

2) As for going federal, I had a buddy go from state misdemeanors to fed cases. First, keep your mouth shut about wanting this- it makes it easy to rationalize not moving you up if they know you're looking to jump ship. Know that the feds want people who can write, and you just won't do very much of it as a line ASA (my buddy had a law review article published he worked on after hours exclusively). When you can write, do it and do it well- sometimes my Judge would take a fancy to some motion to suppress on some minor weed case and allow us to submit bench memos. Go all out on it, because it's the only time you're going to write for work (or at least any more then writing PC statements).

Generally, when you're new, just try to do the job and stay under the radar. No news is generally good news for low level ASAs- if the bosses are asking, it's generally b/c you're messing up. Good luck at your new job!

jddt19

Postby jddt19 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:48 pm

To the poster asking about his background and hiring-

I know I never cared. Of course, I didn't do the hiring. But, I would generally take a potential hiree around for a dry run- if I thought you were a jerk/ moron, I'd tell the bosses I didn't think you'd fit in among our merry little band. I certainly wouldn't hold the fed court stuff experience against you and I don't think my office would've. In my office, both the SA and the 1st assistant had both done defense and civil work and weren't true believers'- they had no problem hiring someone whose resume didn't scream "all I've ever dreamed of is ASA" (and I had interned in that county's PD office).

That all said, it's going to be a little tough b/c you don't have any immediate easy connection to an office. I got hired b/c my dad was on a (non-legal) fundraising committee with the 1st assistant and the PD's office said I wasn't an idiot. My buddy got hired b/c we needed an ASA to start on Monday and a nearby prosecutor's office had no openings and a guy getting sworn in the Thursday prior (he also had a law review and a T14, but they didn't know that when they hired him b/c they didn't even have a resume before the interview, they just told him he had the job and to submit his info). I know, that probably sounds crazy to those very concerned with law school rank and whatnot, but at least at a lot of small and midsize SA shops, they just need bodies and someone to fill the slot- you just hope to be the one walking by when they need a body :).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:54 pm

So my number 1 pd office finally calls, and they ask if I'll be available in a few hours for a phone interview and I'm thrilled and say yes, but i don't get the call..around 5 I called to make sure they didn't forget and got the vm but I hope they were jus busy and this doesn't mean anything bad

What do yall think?..this is a well known office as well
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:29 pm

Seems like the TLS Pros/PD contingent is mostly PD. True?

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:40 pm

well I'm not sure about that but I think more PD offices hire pre-bar than DA offices, so that could account for some of the difference in representation here. I actually don't know of any DA offices around here that hire pre-bar, so if you want to be a DA, you can't even apply until you get results back. If you're a PD, on the other hand, you've already accepted a job offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:45 pm

Any 1L/2Ls get response back from So Cal DAs offices for summer? Been a while since I sent out apps, but nothing but cold silence.

gdane

Postby gdane » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:13 pm

Looks like I'll be at the USAO this summer! What's kinda funny is that the SAO hiring recruiter called me the day before my USAO offer to follow up with my application.

I know the consensus is to take whatever can lead to a permanent post-grad job, in this case the SAO, but I really want to do federal prosecution this summer. I won't get to argue in court, but it sounds like I'm going to get a lot of cool assignments. I'm excited!

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:34 pm

gdane wrote:Looks like I'll be at the USAO this summer! What's kinda funny is that the SAO hiring recruiter called me the day before my USAO offer to follow up with my application.

I know the consensus is to take whatever can lead to a permanent post-grad job, in this case the SAO, but I really want to do federal prosecution this summer. I won't get to argue in court, but it sounds like I'm going to get a lot of cool assignments. I'm excited!

Congrats bro. Federal prosecution sounds like the shit. Would you rather do civil or criminal division?

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:55 pm

So, for non-Manhattan caliber DA's offices, as long as you've hurdled the 3.0 mark, your grades won't raise an eyebrow, right? It's more about commitment to public service, trial ad experience, relevant coursework, etc? 1L here. Got a Legal Aid position for this summer (assisting immigrant victims of DV), and I'm strongly considering working at a DA's office for 2L summer. Taking Crim Pro as an elective this semester, if that means anything.

Jeremyl

Postby Jeremyl » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:10 pm

PinkLotus wrote:So, for non-Manhattan caliber DA's offices, as long as you've hurdled the 3.0 mark, your grades won't raise an eyebrow, right? It's more about commitment to public service, trial ad experience, relevant coursework, etc? 1L here. Got a Legal Aid position for this summer (assisting immigrant victims of DV), and I'm strongly considering working at a DA's office for 2L summer. Taking Crim Pro as an elective this semester, if that means anything.

Read some of the thread before asking a question that has been asked and answered on nearly every single page already.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:31 pm

Has anyone applied for the DA's offices in the 'burbs surrounding Philly (i.e. MontCo, DelCo, Bucks, Chester, etc.)?

Void

Postby Void » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:59 pm

Jeremyl wrote:
PinkLotus wrote:So, for non-Manhattan caliber DA's offices, as long as you've hurdled the 3.0 mark, your grades won't raise an eyebrow, right? It's more about commitment to public service, trial ad experience, relevant coursework, etc? 1L here. Got a Legal Aid position for this summer (assisting immigrant victims of DV), and I'm strongly considering working at a DA's office for 2L summer. Taking Crim Pro as an elective this semester, if that means anything.

Read some of the thread before asking a question that has been asked and answered on nearly every single page already.

Detective Penisface, Internet Police.

Jeremyl

Postby Jeremyl » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:18 pm

Void wrote:Detective Penisface, Internet Police.

Good one, Detective Hypocrite

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:25 am

LOL, fine, I should have done some independent research.

But anyway, I was asking because the website of a smaller, suburban DA's office said explicitly that they were looking for "Excellent Grades" in their interns. My grades aren't "excellent"...they are just OK, though well above the 3.0 mark.

gdane

Postby gdane » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:56 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:Congrats bro. Federal prosecution sounds like the shit. Would you rather do civil or criminal division?

Criminal. I was assigned to the Economic Crimes section. I'll get to work on healthcare fraud stuff, which is a huge problem in Florida.

Jeremyl

Postby Jeremyl » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:11 pm

PinkLotus wrote:LOL, fine, I should have done some independent research.

But anyway, I was asking because the website of a smaller, suburban DA's office said explicitly that they were looking for "Excellent Grades" in their interns. My grades aren't "excellent"...they are just OK, though well above the 3.0 mark.

Every office is a little different, and I mean I'm no scientist, but if they ask for excellent grades then I would think they want excellent grades. Now, I'm sure "excellent grades" doesn't mean the same thing coming from a DA office as it would coming from a biglaw firm or art. III judge. And I also think you're missing the mark by basing your competitiveness on high how above a 3.0 you are. I think they realize every school has a different curve, and class rank will be more indicative. If I had to guess, I'd say you're fine with top third. Just a guess though.

PS- it may just be completely boilerplate language. They may stick to the general rule and not really care about grades. Or they may have a really low threshold for "excellent," where median would qualify. All you can do is apply.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:19 pm

gdane wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:Congrats bro. Federal prosecution sounds like the shit. Would you rather do civil or criminal division?

Criminal. I was assigned to the Economic Crimes section. I'll get to work on healthcare fraud stuff, which is a huge problem in Florida.

Cuz of all the damn shitboomers.

I did some economic crimes for the local USA office on my internship last semester. It was pretty fun. Unlike the poor NA's being framed up for federal time on crap charges, the people being prosecuted in economic crimes sooooo knew better and deserved those overblown prison sentences the Feds give out like candy.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:37 pm

hopin10 wrote:Happy to take questions on the offices that the above poster is considering, too. I went through the interview process for all of them (though did not go to the final stage for each one).

PMed u

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:53 pm

Anyone that has gone through a D.A. interview have any tips? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:03 pm

deadpanic wrote:Anyone that has gone through a D.A. interview have any tips? Thanks!

Be confident in your knowledge of criminal procedure. Interviews are going to challenge what you say and they're going to make it sound as if you're completely wrong. If you know you're right, then stand by your answers to hypos. They're testing you.

iShotFirst

Postby iShotFirst » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
deadpanic wrote:Anyone that has gone through a D.A. interview have any tips? Thanks!

Be confident in your knowledge of criminal procedure. Interviews are going to challenge what you say and they're going to make it sound as if you're completely wrong. If you know you're right, then stand by your answers to hypos. They're testing you.

That's right, stick to your guns even if they are screaming at you - I had an interview like that, went out thinking I was sunk, and got a callback.

Of course, you have to be sure you are right to be able to stick to your guns. Make sure you know your basic CrimPro and maybe look up some hypos online and consider how you would respond. I would also go to Career Services and ask if there are alumni you can contact at the office who could give you tips.

Also know that not every DA interview involves hypos/tests, some are just like a business interview, "tell me about a time you...." "what is your greatest weakness" and other BS.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:53 am

iShotFirst wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

That's right, stick to your guns even if they are screaming at you - I had an interview like that, went out thinking I was sunk, and got a callback.

Of course, you have to be sure you are right to be able to stick to your guns. Make sure you know your basic CrimPro and maybe look up some hypos online and consider how you would respond. I would also go to Career Services and ask if there are alumni you can contact at the office who could give you tips.

Also know that not every DA interview involves hypos/tests, some are just like a business interview, "tell me about a time you...." "what is your greatest weakness" and other BS.

This is a good idea. I contacted alumni and went over some hypos with my crim pro professor. I will say though, when I walked into my interview the first question I got was "so, what hypos have you been over already?" and they immediately switched things up on me. Be ready for everything.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:12 pm

Do PD's care about moot court at all? It's a huge time commitment and I would rather spend my time doing pro bono stuff, but I might consider trying out if it will be a big plus on my resume.

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do PD's care about moot court at all? It's a huge time commitment and I would rather spend my time doing pro bono stuff, but I might consider trying out if it will be a big plus on my resume.

Same question but with pros.

Return to “Legal Employment”