How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I had multiple offers for summering at the most prestigious offices around the nation and I have slightly below median grades. Was offered at PDS too. Only PDS ever asked me for a transcript and I don't put my grades on my resume because my school uses a messed up system that makes no sense to outsiders. I flat out told the PDS lady I was not a top student and she didn't care one bit, she said grades are minimally considered.

Just to be clear, you're referring to applications for 2L summers, not post-grad employment, right?

Where did you decide to go for the summer?

Bronx defenders. I have a MSW as well and I worked for a holistic office my 1L summer as well. I'm gunning for them. I am working for them my 2L summer.

md22

Postby md22 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:33 am

I'm currently a 0L applying this cycle and I'm very interested in becoming an ADA. Can anyone tell me how much rankings matter as far as becoming a prosecutor/ADA go? Is it pretty much equivalent to how the rankings affect employment prospects in general?

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:12 am

md22 wrote:I'm currently a 0L applying this cycle and I'm very interested in becoming an ADA. Can anyone tell me how much rankings matter as far as becoming a prosecutor/ADA go? Is it pretty much equivalent to how the rankings affect employment prospects in general?

Not really, no. This question has been answered multiple times in this thread though. Read more of it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:54 am

md22 wrote:I'm currently a 0L applying this cycle and I'm very interested in becoming an ADA. Can anyone tell me how much rankings matter as far as becoming a prosecutor/ADA go? Is it pretty much equivalent to how the rankings affect employment prospects in general?

Generally no, outside the really competitive offices. If you want to ADA-->AUSA then maybe yes. This based on purely anecdotal evidence I've heard from supervisors.

eandy

Postby eandy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:54 pm

for those who might not know, you can do a search of only this thread by using the search box at the bottom of the page. hth

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:06 pm

Does anyone have experience as an intern with the Harris County (Houston) PD? It's a new office and they say they only hire experienced attorneys. I have a job with a state PD office but man, this would be a sweet place to lateral to. Check these salaries:

http://www.texastribune.org/library/dat ... 80/?page=1

That's gotta be one of the highest paying PD offices in the country .

DayTripper1967

Postby DayTripper1967 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:15 pm

Hey guys, I'm new to this thread. I go to the University of Wisconsin, and I am a 1L. My first semester grades aren't horrible, but not that great either (~Top 60% of class), but thankfully, I came to law school to become a PD and not BigLaw. I plan on taking as many crim classes as I can, trying out for moot court, doing pro bono work, and doing a judicial internship for the summer. For my 2L, I plan on doing a PD internship program. Is there anything else that I can do to keep me competitive for PD positions in Madison/Milwaukee areas? Sorry if this was already asked, but this thread is over 60 pages long!

robin600

Postby robin600 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:33 pm

DayTripper1967 wrote:Hey guys, I'm new to this thread. I go to the University of Wisconsin, and I am a 1L. My first semester grades aren't horrible, but not that great either (~Top 60% of class), but thankfully, I came to law school to become a PD and not BigLaw. I plan on taking as many crim classes as I can, trying out for moot court, doing pro bono work, and doing a judicial internship for the summer. For my 2L, I plan on doing a PD internship program. Is there anything else that I can do to keep me competitive for PD positions in Madison/Milwaukee areas? Sorry if this was already asked, but this thread is over 60 pages long!

I don't know if its already too late but I would try to go to a public defender's office my first year summer. The more PD experience you have the better. If it is too late, network with the judge to talk with all the local PDs. Hopefully you are clerking trial level?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:36 pm

DayTripper1967 wrote:Hey guys, I'm new to this thread. I go to the University of Wisconsin, and I am a 1L. My first semester grades aren't horrible, but not that great either (~Top 60% of class), but thankfully, I came to law school to become a PD and not BigLaw. I plan on taking as many crim classes as I can, trying out for moot court, doing pro bono work, and doing a judicial internship for the summer. For my 2L, I plan on doing a PD internship program. Is there anything else that I can do to keep me competitive for PD positions in Madison/Milwaukee areas? Sorry if this was already asked, but this thread is over 60 pages long!

I am a recent UW grad who will be starting as a PD this spring, I'll PM you.

DayTripper1967

Postby DayTripper1967 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:43 pm

robin600 wrote:

I don't know if its already too late but I would try to go to a public defender's office my first year summer. The more PD experience you have the better. If it is too late, network with the judge to talk with all the local PDs. Hopefully you are clerking trial level?

The program through the school is only available to 2Ls, and I'm not really sure if I could get an internship outside the school. But if I do end up getting the judicial internship, I will definitely try to have the judge talk to as many PDs as he can.

DayTripper1967

Postby DayTripper1967 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I am a recent UW grad who will be starting as a PD this spring, I'll PM you.

Awesome, thanks a lot.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:08 pm

DayTripper1967 wrote:
robin600 wrote:

The program through the school is only available to 2Ls, and I'm not really sure if I could get an internship outside the school. But if I do end up getting the judicial internship, I will definitely try to have the judge talk to as many PDs as he can.

Why can't you apply to PD offices if its not through your school?

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:33 pm

robin600 wrote:
DayTripper1967 wrote:
robin600 wrote:

Why can't you apply to PD offices if its not through your school?

This was my thought. You should be going well beyond your own school's little programs. These programs can accommodate a handful of students, if that. 99% of us here got our jobs through non school internships/externships I'd imagine.

As someone who recently obtained a job as a PD (current 3L), I'd be happy to provide any guidance, which is why I monitor this thread. Many of the questions seem like the people asking them just have no idea what they're doing though. You gotta hustle hard, young one!

DayTripper1967

Postby DayTripper1967 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:19 pm

To Robin and Lantern, I could find something outside the school, but that would mean I would be interning strictly as a volunteer and I would not be able to get class credit or a stipend.

iShotFirst

Postby iShotFirst » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:47 pm

DayTripper1967 wrote:To Robin and Lantern, I could find something outside the school, but that would mean I would be interning strictly as a volunteer and I would not be able to get class credit or a stipend.

You asked what would make you competitive for PD positions. Class credit/stipend, who cares? If you want to show your commitment to PD you have to get those lines on your resume, full stop.

DayTripper1967

Postby DayTripper1967 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:02 pm

iShotFirst wrote:
DayTripper1967 wrote:To Robin and Lantern, I could find something outside the school, but that would mean I would be interning strictly as a volunteer and I would not be able to get class credit or a stipend.

You asked what would make you competitive for PD positions. Class credit/stipend, who cares? If you want to show your commitment to PD you have to get those lines on your resume, full stop.

good point

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:14 pm

Are you sure it's not possible to get school credit other than going through their program? That sounds very odd to me - there may well be a program specifically for 2Ls, but usually for externships, if you can find someone willing to supervise you, the school will give you credit. For instance, this http://law.wisc.edu/academics/externships/index.html doesn't seem to suggest that only 2Ls can get credit. Are there other organizations offering services to indigent clients that you could work with? or can you work for the PD outside of the other program your school offers? I would ask your externship person first, to clarify this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:04 pm

What are everyone's thoughts on having worked/interned with a private criminal defense attorney? I'm assuming it doesn't necessarily hurt for PD jobs, but does it make one any more competitive?

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What are everyone's thoughts on having worked/interned with a private criminal defense attorney? I'm assuming it doesn't necessarily hurt for PD jobs, but does it make one any more competitive?

I think it is all adult diaper, honestly.

I have a friend who worked for one who used to be a deputy PD, got her a job. Another friend works for one who offered him a job, but it didn't help him get a PD job.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What are everyone's thoughts on having worked/interned with a private criminal defense attorney? I'm assuming it doesn't necessarily hurt for PD jobs, but does it make one any more competitive?

Being in the midst of a PD job search that is currently fruitless, let me share with you my major take-way so far.

Nothing will help you secure a PD job as much as A PD EXPERIENCE. Simple as that. Private criminal could help you if the private attorney has connections sure. But if you aren't looking to work connections and you're literally just looking to amass experience that will help you impress a PD hiring panel at an office... THEN WORK FOR A PD.

Work for a PD during the semester, work for one over the summer, do crim defense clinic... look for whatever opportunities you can. If you can't secure a PD job for the summer look for something related. Do immigration work, do abuse and neglect cases, do appellate work, do something that is relevant to representing indigent people in criminal cases. A PD office will scrutinize your choices... private defense will be scrutinized, a firm will be scrutinized, getting divorces for poor people might even be scrutinized.

Obviously if you can't find PD work so be it, but I would stress and others above have stressed too, an experience that is not working for a PD will not substitute in the minds of a zealous PD office.

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Being in the midst of a PD job search that is currently fruitless, let me share with you my major take-way so far.

Nothing will help you secure a PD job as much as A PD EXPERIENCE. Simple as that. Private criminal could help you if the private attorney has connections sure. But if you aren't looking to work connections and you're literally just looking to amass experience that will help you impress a PD hiring panel at an office... THEN WORK FOR A PD.

Work for a PD during the semester, work for one over the summer, do crim defense clinic... look for whatever opportunities you can. If you can't secure a PD job for the summer look for something related. Do immigration work, do abuse and neglect cases, do appellate work, do something that is relevant to representing indigent people in criminal cases. A PD office will scrutinize your choices... private defense will be scrutinized, a firm will be scrutinized, getting divorces for poor people might even be scrutinized.

Obviously if you can't find PD work so be it, but I would stress and others above have stressed too, an experience that is not working for a PD will not substitute in the minds of a zealous PD office.

If you want to be a PD, PD work is important, like this guy/gal said. Private criminal work will at least give you some experience, but it isn't the same. You need to show a commitment to serving the indigent. In addition, working for the PD will give you valuable contacts within the system you want to work in. In the PD system I'll be working in, you MUST intern with the office in order to get a post-grad job and getting the job is highly-dependent on what your supervisor writes in your evaluation. You want to be working in the PD system as soon as possible if this is what you want to do. I actually didn't work in a PD office my 1L summer and almost got thrown out of the PD track altogether for doing so. I ended up doing an internship during my 2L year and an externship during my 3L year to make up for it. I can't say that this is the case for every office, but I would imagine getting a lot of experience within the office and getting to know as many attorneys in the office as possible cannot hurt you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:47 am

1L here, just got grades back (black, top 15% at top 25), do I fwd an unofficial copy to every PD office I applied for or do I wait for them to request the grades? How does this work

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:50 am

I'm a 3L and I have been working at private firm since August. I do a bunch of random administrative tasks like answering the phone, taking messages, calling bureaucrats, in addition to research and writing. No chance of ever going into court. The plus side is that I have greatly improved my writing skills just because I now have time to proofread (and proofread, and proofread), the down side of that is that my supervisor expects perfect writing, and that is my biggest weakness. Overall the work is boring, but at least it is paid. I don't think it has been a negative, but I would definitely have at least two semesters of PD work in addition to private work, just to show commitment.
Last edited by Borhas on Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:1L here, just got grades back (black, top 15% at top 25), do I fwd an unofficial copy to every PD office I applied for or do I wait for them to request the grades? How does this work

just go ahead and send the unofficial transcript with a brief letter of continued interest

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:1L here, just got grades back (black, top 15% at top 25), do I fwd an unofficial copy to every PD office I applied for or do I wait for them to request the grades? How does this work

Don't do anything until they ask for them. And they aren't going to ask for them.

Return to “Legal Employment”