How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273101
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:All this Miami talk is potentially helpful. Are there any miami SAO offers out yet?


Got an offer at the interview, right before Thanksgiving. Got "final offer letter" last week, they said I have thirty days to respond.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273101
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:All this Miami talk is potentially helpful. Are there any miami SAO offers out yet?


Got an offer at the interview, right before Thanksgiving. Got "final offer letter" last week, they said I have thirty days to respond.


Congrats!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273101
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:All this Miami talk is potentially helpful. Are there any miami SAO offers out yet?


Got an offer at the interview, right before Thanksgiving. Got "final offer letter" last week, they said I have thirty days to respond.


Care to share stats, school, rank, etc? (general stats are fine)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273101
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:All this Miami talk is potentially helpful. Are there any miami SAO offers out yet?


Got an offer at the interview, right before Thanksgiving. Got "final offer letter" last week, they said I have thirty days to respond.


Care to share stats, school, rank, etc? (general stats are fine)


Top 1/4, Tier 1, non-trad.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273101
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:12 pm

Anyone know how hiring at the cook county pd offices goes? Their website is a mess and my school doesn't know much.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273101
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:19 pm

Only hires post-bar unlike the the SAO. :(

Jeremyl
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:47 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Jeremyl » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:39 pm

Anyone know much about the DC USAO fellowship program? When do you apply? Selectivity?

ETA: nevermind. Found out need to have gotten bar results back and have a full year of post-graduate experience.

brassmonkey7
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:38 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby brassmonkey7 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
brassmonkey7 wrote:Perfectly safe imho. I wouldn't suggest taking it too late since it does get deserted later at night. I think once you get late enough into the evening, it also runs every hour or so, so you could be waiting in a desertedish station as well. However for the purposes of going to work, yea it's completely fine. You will have a lot of people riding in both directions during typical commuter hours. Also, the SAO/PD are right by Jackson Memorial hospital/UM Med School so besides people at the Civic Center stop who are there for all the legal-related stuff, you've got doctors and other hospital staff too. Don't worry!

As for metrorail in general, it's safe on weekends if you don't feel like driving to say Brickell or something. The seats are nicer than the DC Metro or NYC subway and it's generally not body to body crowded. Some of the stops have security there but a few are a little deserted all times of the day.


And as far as reliability is concerned, does the train generally stick to its schedule? Thanks for all the info btw, super helpful!



Was bogged down with finals, sorry for the delay. Metrorail comes regularly. Maybe every fifteen minutes or so? It's definitely regular and reliable enough to take every day. The one caveat I'd have is if you're running late, unlike NYC at least, you can't miss a train and then be relieved to see another one pull in 5 minutes later.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273101
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:06 pm

anyone know about the Manhattan DA office for 2Ls? do they interview everyone that applies? just got a request for an interview but it seemed generic/boilerplate like they send it out to everyone.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273101
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone know about the Manhattan DA office for 2Ls? do they interview everyone that applies? just got a request for an interview but it seemed generic/boilerplate like they send it out to everyone.

I did not get an interview and applied as a 2L.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273101
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:48 pm

brassmonkey7 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
brassmonkey7 wrote:Perfectly safe imho. I wouldn't suggest taking it too late since it does get deserted later at night. I think once you get late enough into the evening, it also runs every hour or so, so you could be waiting in a desertedish station as well. However for the purposes of going to work, yea it's completely fine. You will have a lot of people riding in both directions during typical commuter hours. Also, the SAO/PD are right by Jackson Memorial hospital/UM Med School so besides people at the Civic Center stop who are there for all the legal-related stuff, you've got doctors and other hospital staff too. Don't worry!

As for metrorail in general, it's safe on weekends if you don't feel like driving to say Brickell or something. The seats are nicer than the DC Metro or NYC subway and it's generally not body to body crowded. Some of the stops have security there but a few are a little deserted all times of the day.


And as far as reliability is concerned, does the train generally stick to its schedule? Thanks for all the info btw, super helpful!


Was bogged down with finals, sorry for the delay. Metrorail comes regularly. Maybe every fifteen minutes or so? It's definitely regular and reliable enough to take every day. The one caveat I'd have is if you're running late, unlike NYC at least, you can't miss a train and then be relieved to see another one pull in 5 minutes later.


Thanks. Sounds like something I'll be strongly considering as I look for a place in the Miami area.

User avatar
iShotFirst
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:13 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby iShotFirst » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:54 pm

I've been lurking on here following the Miami-related stuff for a while- if anyone has a line on some good housing possibilities let me know by PM! Thanks!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273101
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:anyone know about the Manhattan DA office for 2Ls? do they interview everyone that applies? just got a request for an interview but it seemed generic/boilerplate like they send it out to everyone.

I did not get an interview and applied as a 2L.


Do either of you know if your references were called? When did you submit your applications?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273101
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:09 pm

Has anyone heard back from Brooklyn Defender Services? I can't remember if they said late December or early January....

User avatar
Displeased
Posts: 131
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:10 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Displeased » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:34 pm

The good thing about hunting for PD jobs post-bar is that you hear back almost immediately, the PD offices don't have time to let an office sit unoccupied. Job opens up, takes applications for a week or two, interviews the week afterwards, hear back within a week of the interview. Very rarely does it take more than a month from job opening to acceptance/rejection.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273101
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:anyone know about the Manhattan DA office for 2Ls? do they interview everyone that applies? just got a request for an interview but it seemed generic/boilerplate like they send it out to everyone.

I did not get an interview and applied as a 2L.


Do either of you know if your references were called? When did you submit your applications?


I applied on either the first or second of November. I doubt any references were contacted because the email said to make sure i bring a copy of my reference list.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273101
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:22 am

if anyone has interned at a PD office in the dc,va,md area their 1L summer, I would love to hear some stories about where to apply ..side note, it sucks seeing firm summer jobs that pay 3k a WEEK and everything i want is unpaid =(

User avatar
Displeased
Posts: 131
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:10 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Displeased » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:if anyone has interned at a PD office in the dc,va,md area their 1L summer, I would love to hear some stories about where to apply


Send me a private message if you want my specific experiences/opinion re: several offices around that area. I'd rather not gossip or criticize certain offices on a public forum.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273101
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:08 am

1L here, applied to my number 1 pd office around the 1st, prior to that I made great contacts in the office, including an alum, I haven't heard anything since, should I follow up shortly or wait until grades to follow up

Anonymous User
Posts: 273101
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:09 pm

Miami PD has offers out today.

hopin10
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:54 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby hopin10 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1L here, applied to my number 1 pd office around the 1st, prior to that I made great contacts in the office, including an alum, I haven't heard anything since, should I follow up shortly or wait until grades to follow up


I'd give it until the new year and then follow up. Folks might be busy during the holidays.

But I wouldn't worry about your grades; they likely don't care.

(3L here, worked in PD offices both summers.)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273101
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:29 pm

Bronx (PD) offers are out.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273101
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:30 pm

Prettyman offers are out, too.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273101
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:35 pm

Did anyone get an offer? My friends at a T25 got dinged.

User avatar
robin600
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby robin600 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:39 pm

hopin10 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:1L here, applied to my number 1 pd office around the 1st, prior to that I made great contacts in the office, including an alum, I haven't heard anything since, should I follow up shortly or wait until grades to follow up


I'd give it until the new year and then follow up. Folks might be busy during the holidays.

But I wouldn't worry about your grades; they likely don't care.

(3L here, worked in PD offices both summers.)


I applied around the same time and didn't get hired by number one office until march, but I got hired. I had a professor call in for me who had contacts in the office around February and I got my offer a week or so after that. I had another offer that I turned down prior to hearing back too which was nerve wracking. I highly recommend the professor, or alum who works there, route because it gives you major cred and doesn't make you look pushy.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.