How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby akili » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:49 pm

Is there any sort of resource for finding post-grad jobs that hire pre-Bar?

Arsenals
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:41 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Arsenals » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:56 pm

akili wrote:Is there any sort of resource for finding post-grad jobs that hire pre-Bar?


For PDs, the end of this is thorough. http://www.pslawnet.org/uploads/Public_ ... URRENT.pdf

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby spleenworship » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:16 pm

Arsenals wrote:
akili wrote:Is there any sort of resource for finding post-grad jobs that hire pre-Bar?


For PDs, the end of this is thorough. http://www.pslawnet.org/uploads/Public_ ... URRENT.pdf



Thank you for this! This rocks.

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4852
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Borhas » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:41 am

Anyone know if Santa Clara County still hires folks as post-grad law & motions clerks?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273108
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:57 pm

Santa Clara hires post-bars, but they hire a lot of people (25+) and only a handfull will be offered actual jobs.

sallymae
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:31 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby sallymae » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:21 pm

Hey, anyone want to share what kinds of questions they were asked during the bx defenders interview? Or just what the interview was like in general?

For my part, there were about six or seven attorneys in the room, and we talked for maybe 30 minutes max. Questions ranged from 'why do you want to be a PD' to 'why you [out of all other candidates]'. Couldn't quite read the vibe, which in my experience doesn't bode well....

Anonymous User
Posts: 273108
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:47 pm

sallymae wrote:Hey, anyone want to share what kinds of questions they were asked during the bx defenders interview? Or just what the interview was like in general?

For my part, there were about six or seven attorneys in the room, and we talked for maybe 30 minutes max. Questions ranged from 'why do you want to be a PD' to 'why you [out of all other candidates]'. Couldn't quite read the vibe, which in my experience doesn't bode well....


Same. Think it's pretty routinized.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273108
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
sallymae wrote:Hey, anyone want to share what kinds of questions they were asked during the bx defenders interview? Or just what the interview was like in general?

For my part, there were about six or seven attorneys in the room, and we talked for maybe 30 minutes max. Questions ranged from 'why do you want to be a PD' to 'why you [out of all other candidates]'. Couldn't quite read the vibe, which in my experience doesn't bode well....


Same. Think it's pretty routinized.


Was this second round? This sounds exactly like my screener interview except there was only one person, but the questions exactly the same.

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby FlanAl » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:26 pm

Just saw a posting on psjd for "pro bono counsel" looking for 10 years PI service. Anyone know anything about these kind of jobs? I know this isn't exactly DA/PD related but figure this would be the only place people would know.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273108
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:12 am

Hey has anyone applied/heard from the Clark County, NV D.A.?

sallymae
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:31 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby sallymae » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
sallymae wrote:Hey, anyone want to share what kinds of questions they were asked during the bx defenders interview? Or just what the interview was like in general?

For my part, there were about six or seven attorneys in the room, and we talked for maybe 30 minutes max. Questions ranged from 'why do you want to be a PD' to 'why you [out of all other candidates]'. Couldn't quite read the vibe, which in my experience doesn't bode well....


Same. Think it's pretty routinized.


Was this second round? This sounds exactly like my screener interview except there was only one person, but the questions exactly the same.



hey -
yes, this was a second round.

Jeremyl
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:47 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Jeremyl » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:17 am

Any Texas pd/ADA gunners in here?

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby akili » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:26 pm

Jeremyl wrote:Any Texas pd/ADA gunners in here?


Sup.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273108
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:09 am

Any movement on PD offers?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273108
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hey has anyone applied/heard from the Clark County, NV D.A.?

I just got the "eligibility" email this week, and I'm curious about this as well.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273108
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey has anyone applied/heard from the Clark County, NV D.A.?

I just got the "eligibility" email this week, and I'm curious about this as well.


Yeah I just got that too, I wonder when they'll do interviews, I heard lots of people applied (like 92 but I don't know for sure)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273108
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:12 am

Miami PD/ASA people, any recommendations on where to look for apartments? Looking for safe areas where I don't have to fear for my fiancée's safety at night.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273108
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Miami PD/ASA people, any recommendations on where to look for apartments? Looking for safe areas where I don't have to fear for my fiancée's safety at night.


I've started looking into this... seems pretty tough. Safe + Affordable seems like a Sophie's choice. I have a kid too(not in school yet tho). The public transport seems alright though so maybe you could broaden your search radius?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273108
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Miami PD/ASA people, any recommendations on where to look for apartments? Looking for safe areas where I don't have to fear for my fiancée's safety at night.


I've started looking into this... seems pretty tough. Safe + Affordable seems like a Sophie's choice. I have a kid too(not in school yet tho). The public transport seems alright though so maybe you could broaden your search radius?


Coral Gables seems like the nicest place but it's definitely the most expensive on the west side of the causeway. I've also heard Kendal is nice but it seems like a decent commute from Kendal to the court house.

I've heard bad things about the TriRail so I'm not sure about that?

brassmonkey7
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:38 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby brassmonkey7 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:22 pm

Tri-Rail is terrible... the schedule has considerable gaps and trains run late. Plus you'd still have to get from the Tri-Rail station to the SAO/PD.

If, however, you're talking about Metrorail then that's another story. Both offices are around the corner from each other and Metrorail stops (the Civic Center stop) like two blocks from the SAO/PD/DCJ/Courthouse, etc. The monthly pass isn't too expensive. The trains run frequently enough that's it a reliable way to get to and from work.

However, Metrorail is just one line. There are two stops in Kendall and one in Coral Gables. I'd recommend Kendall over the Gables as being cheaper, albeit farther from Brickell/SoBe/both offices. The nice thing is that a lot of the metrorail stations have parking so you could live in Kendall, drive to metrorail in the morning, get on and go to work and then take it back, get in your car and go home.

Another option is to consider living in Broward county with your family and drive to work every day. There are some lower cost but still safe towns over there. However, parking is a nightmare by the SAO/PD.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273108
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:59 pm

brassmonkey7 wrote:Tri-Rail is terrible... the schedule has considerable gaps and trains run late. Plus you'd still have to get from the Tri-Rail station to the SAO/PD.

If, however, you're talking about Metrorail then that's another story. Both offices are around the corner from each other and Metrorail stops (the Civic Center stop) like two blocks from the SAO/PD/DCJ/Courthouse, etc. The monthly pass isn't too expensive. The trains run frequently enough that's it a reliable way to get to and from work.

However, Metrorail is just one line. There are two stops in Kendall and one in Coral Gables. I'd recommend Kendall over the Gables as being cheaper, albeit farther from Brickell/SoBe/both offices. The nice thing is that a lot of the metrorail stations have parking so you could live in Kendall, drive to metrorail in the morning, get on and go to work and then take it back, get in your car and go home.

Another option is to consider living in Broward county with your family and drive to work every day. There are some lower cost but still safe towns over there. However, parking is a nightmare by the SAO/PD.


How safe is the Metrorail? The only public transportation I'm familiar with is the NYC subway and the DC Metro. How does the Metrorail compare?

brassmonkey7
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:38 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby brassmonkey7 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:25 pm

Perfectly safe imho. I wouldn't suggest taking it too late since it does get deserted later at night. I think once you get late enough into the evening, it also runs every hour or so, so you could be waiting in a desertedish station as well. However for the purposes of going to work, yea it's completely fine. You will have a lot of people riding in both directions during typical commuter hours. Also, the SAO/PD are right by Jackson Memorial hospital/UM Med School so besides people at the Civic Center stop who are there for all the legal-related stuff, you've got doctors and other hospital staff too. Don't worry!

As for metrorail in general, it's safe on weekends if you don't feel like driving to say Brickell or something. The seats are nicer than the DC Metro or NYC subway and it's generally not body to body crowded. Some of the stops have security there but a few are a little deserted all times of the day.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273108
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:44 pm

brassmonkey7 wrote:Perfectly safe imho. I wouldn't suggest taking it too late since it does get deserted later at night. I think once you get late enough into the evening, it also runs every hour or so, so you could be waiting in a desertedish station as well. However for the purposes of going to work, yea it's completely fine. You will have a lot of people riding in both directions during typical commuter hours. Also, the SAO/PD are right by Jackson Memorial hospital/UM Med School so besides people at the Civic Center stop who are there for all the legal-related stuff, you've got doctors and other hospital staff too. Don't worry!

As for metrorail in general, it's safe on weekends if you don't feel like driving to say Brickell or something. The seats are nicer than the DC Metro or NYC subway and it's generally not body to body crowded. Some of the stops have security there but a few are a little deserted all times of the day.


And as far as reliability is concerned, does the train generally stick to its schedule? Thanks for all the info btw, super helpful!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273108
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:57 pm

All this miami talk is potentially helpful. Are there any miami SAO offers out yet?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273108
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:08 pm

Anyone apply to Sac DA?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.