How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
somethingclever

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby somethingclever » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:35 pm

I had an OCI first round interview which I took to be a more of screen. He said they would be interviewing 40-50 people in November and then making offers in December. My understanding is they only hire around 5 a year. Long story but b/c of the hurricane and interviewer illness we had to do the screen by phone. (I'm in Boston.) The second round was in person at their office.

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Who's had their second round for Colorado yet? Is this hypo-style or still a "getting to know you" sort of interview? (3L here).

I had my second round a few weeks ago over the phone. I actually don't recall a single hypo. We spoke for about an hour and a half, and I'd say the conversation broke down as:

1/3 "getting to know you" questions and football banter
1/2 discussing my internship and clinical experiences
1/6 discussing my questions for him

I got an offer by e-mail later that week, though that is partly because I'm a December grad and they wanted to make sure I had time to apply for the February bar. Good luck!

Just had mine recently. This seems to be very different than everyone else's, but might just be because the poster is a december grad.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:20 am

the lantern wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Who's had their second round for Colorado yet? Is this hypo-style or still a "getting to know you" sort of interview? (3L here).

I had my second round a few weeks ago over the phone. I actually don't recall a single hypo. We spoke for about an hour and a half, and I'd say the conversation broke down as:

I got an offer by e-mail later that week, though that is partly because I'm a December grad and they wanted to make sure I had time to apply for the February bar. Good luck!

Just had mine recently. This seems to be very different than everyone else's, but might just be because the poster is a december grad.

3L May grad who interviewed with CO recently. My experience was hypo-less and very similar to the material bolded above.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
the lantern wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

3L May grad who interviewed with CO recently. My experience was hypo-less and very similar to the material bolded above.

I'm wondering if the difference might be a function of the interviewer. I had my first round with Connors and it was nearly identical to the above.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm wondering if the difference might be a function of the interviewer. I had my first round with Connors and it was nearly identical to the above.

Very possible. I (the bolded poster above) had my initial 30 min interview with Brown and my second with Connors. I also think that a quality discussion of work and research experience can reveal someone's values and goals just as well as hypos can.

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm wondering if the difference might be a function of the interviewer. I had my first round with Connors and it was nearly identical to the above.

Very possible. I (the bolded poster above) had my initial 30 min interview with Brown and my second with Connors. I also think that a quality discussion of work and research experience can reveal someone's values and goals just as well as hypos can.

ah, mine was with Doug Wilson. Suppose that could be a pretty big difference there. I was under the impression all second rounds were with him. We only discussed the hypo for maybe 3 minutes anyways.. they just gave me 30 minutes to look over it beforehand.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:24 pm

For CO, I've heard from multiple people that Connors used a different style than Wilson. Connors is the conversationalist, while Wilson does a hypo.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:35 pm

Anyone here ever go to the reblaw conference or the cover retreat?

somethingclever

Postby somethingclever » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:41 pm

Went to reblaw last year. LOVED IT.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:34 pm

In searching for DA post-bar gigs I stumbled across this: --LinkRemoved--

In case anyone is licensed for CA and wants to make over 90k as a prosecutor in a ski resort area.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:12 pm

Looks like NH public defender is no longer hiring. E-mail I got this morning noted that their funding situation is precarious and that they're cancelling all panel interviews for now.

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:51 am

Anyone know about career mobility as a PD? Is it difficult to move from state to state mid career? What about state to federal?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:52 pm

Has anyone else had or scheduled their 1st round for post-grad LAS?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone else had or scheduled their 1st round for post-grad LAS?

They did screeners at EJW and multiple OCIs. Is that what you mean?

They have started their second-round interviews, too, mainly for folks who have interned with them before.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:18 pm

whats the likelihood that a 1L will receive an internship with a prestigious PD office?

hopin10

Postby hopin10 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:whats the likelihood that a 1L will receive an internship with a prestigious PD office?

Depends on your cover letter, your background, and how well you interview. Depending on the office, may also depend on the school from which you're applying.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone else had or scheduled their 1st round for post-grad LAS?

They have started their second-round interviews, too, mainly for folks who have interned with them before.

I guess it's technically 2nd round... have to go to their office and prepare a hypo. Can't believe they scheduled it during finals! :shock:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I guess it's technically 2nd round... have to go to their office and prepare a hypo. Can't believe they scheduled it during finals! :shock:

Good luck! What's your background / resume bullets?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Good luck! What's your background / resume bullets?

Previous intern with LAS and also another PD office. From my understanding, they have 10 early offers and the person scheduling me said she had "hundreds and hundreds" of people to shedule... I'm sure she was exaggerating but still!! Intense.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:59 pm

What's everyone's take on the most "prestigious" DA offices? I know LA County, Cook County, Manhattan and Miami are the four largest offices, but are they generally considered the most prestigious?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Previous intern with LAS and also another PD office. From my understanding, they have 10 early offers and the person scheduling me said she had "hundreds and hundreds" of people to shedule... I'm sure she was exaggerating but still!! Intense.

I'm sure she's pushing the numbers. What did you hear back about scheduling something? And when were all your materials in?

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What's everyone's take on the most "prestigious" DA offices? I know LA County, Cook County, Manhattan and Miami are the four largest offices, but are they generally considered the most prestigious?

Look, I know I'm just at a T2 and therefore only marginally qualified to comment on preftige.... but my first impulse upon reading this is:

If you are going to be an ADA for the preftige, you are doing it wrong.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Previous intern with LAS and also another PD office. From my understanding, they have 10 early offers and the person scheduling me said she had "hundreds and hundreds" of people to shedule... I'm sure she was exaggerating but still!! Intense.

I'm sure she's pushing the numbers. What did you hear back about scheduling something? And when were all your materials in?

Materials were in Nov 1, the deadline for the early consideration. Just heard about scheduling. Assume I may have gotten a spot from a cancelation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:21 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What's everyone's take on the most "prestigious" DA offices? I know LA County, Cook County, Manhattan and Miami are the four largest offices, but are they generally considered the most prestigious?

Look, I know I'm just at a T2 and therefore only marginally qualified to comment on preftige.... but my first impulse upon reading this is:

Thanks for the helpful response. I have a couple of applications out to those offices and I was just wondering. I have my own preferences but I just sort of wanted to know the general consensus.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

Thanks for the helpful response. I have a couple of applications out to those offices and I was just wondering. I have my own preferences but I just sort of wanted to know the general consensus.

Well, if it helps you, Manhattan is the most prestigious, IMO.

Return to “Legal Employment”