How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard from the Defenders Assoc. of Philadelphia (post-grad)? Sent my app in August, got the "we are in receipt of your application" e-mail in October, and silence since then. The e-mail said that interview determinations would be made by early December and "you will be notified by December 31, 2012." I guess if "early December" is anytime before 12/15/12 then there's plenty of time...

Submission date in September. Crickets here, too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:17 pm

FlanAl wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
robin600 wrote:What kind of stats are needed for the prettyman?

Current Fellows' profiles are online. http://www.law.georgetown.edu/academics ... act-us.cfm

These bios make it kinda hard to figure out what they're looking for. Just looks like you needed to be PD track in law school and then score a prestigious office work there for a couple of years and come back and do prettyman.

One of the three went straight through. Past Fellows I know did the same. Check out attorneys' profiles at top PD shops--you'll see a lot of former Fellows.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:03 am

Anyone know how difficult it is to get the LSPIN funding?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:05 pm

Damn just got an email from legal aid NYC about setting up an interview with them for this summer. I've already accepted at another NYC pd agency.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:03 pm

Did the offer come from a human or from that generic email address. I still haven't heard anything from them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:04 pm

FlanAl wrote:Did the offer come from a human or from that generic email address. I still haven't heard anything from them.

Anon above. Yes it came from a human not a generic email. Mentioned some things in my résumé so I'm pretty sure not a PC.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:21 pm

Cool, I'm going to guess this is a ding for me then :(

hopin10

Postby hopin10 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:45 pm

FlanAl wrote:Cool, I'm going to guess this is a ding for me then :(

I wouldn't give up so early. LAS is known for moving incredibly slowly.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Damn just got an email from legal aid NYC about setting up an interview with them for this summer. I've already accepted at another NYC pd agency.

When did you apply? I haven't heard anything either; it's taking forever.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard from the Defenders Assoc. of Philadelphia (post-grad)? Sent my app in August, got the "we are in receipt of your application" e-mail in October, and silence since then. The e-mail said that interview determinations would be made by early December and "you will be notified by December 31, 2012." I guess if "early December" is anytime before 12/15/12 then there's plenty of time...

Submission date in September. Crickets here, too.

I had OCI interview with them in early September. Got this email later that week (with personalized portion excluded):

The Defender Association is now conducting its fall recruitment program for our 2013 class of assistant public defenders. This recruitment will continue until December 31, 2012.

During this time period, your resume, as well as all other potential candidates' resumes, will be reviewed for a panel interview determination. This determination will be made by early December and you will be notified by early January.

You will receive notification only if you have been selected for an interview.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:31 pm

Why do half the new york offices extend offers in november when the other half don't even interview until january? Anyways I had an expiring offer that I decided to take but it would have been great to have at least interviewed with LAS or know that I got rejected before the interview stage.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:57 pm

Anyone apply for or hear back from Sacramaneto DA?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:45 am

Who's had their second round for Colorado yet? Is this hypo-style or still a "getting to know you" sort of interview? (3L here).

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Who's had their second round for Colorado yet? Is this hypo-style or still a "getting to know you" sort of interview? (3L here).

I've had colorado second round. There is 30 minutes to review a hypo and then around an hour of getting to know you (at least thats what it was for me). I've interned multiple times with colorado pd, so we had a lot to talk about.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:03 pm

since finals are coming up, any thoughts on how much 2L and 3L grades matter for PD/DA work?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:09 pm

I suspect it varies by location? But the PD at least in my state don't care about grades at all - according to more than one of my PD friends they didn't put their GPA on their resume and were never asked for it. I don't know if the DA is more grades-conscious, but I don't think so. Both are interested in commitment to the cause over grades. (But again, YMMV - this is a western state with not very many law schools and no ivy-type schools, so I can't say whether it holds true everywhere.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:13 pm

the lantern wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Who's had their second round for Colorado yet? Is this hypo-style or still a "getting to know you" sort of interview? (3L here).

I've had colorado second round. There is 30 minutes to review a hypo and then around an hour of getting to know you (at least thats what it was for me). I've interned multiple times with colorado pd, so we had a lot to talk about.

Thanks for the input. Did you have an in-person or phone interview?

somethingclever

Postby somethingclever » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Damn just got an email from legal aid NYC about setting up an interview with them for this summer. I've already accepted at another NYC pd agency.

Um can I ask which NYC PD agency? I'm dying, dying to work at Bronx. I got second round with them but I need to accept my fate if they have sent out offers and I wasn't one of them. The suspense is killing me. I'd rather just know either way at this point.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:20 pm

somethingclever wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Um can I ask which NYC PD agency? I'm dying, dying to work at Bronx. I got second round with them but I need to accept my fate if they have sent out offers and I wasn't one of them. The suspense is killing me. I'd rather just know either way at this point.

Oh, just realized you may be talking summer internship. I am wondering for first year criminal attorneys for Bronx. Everyone still waiting?

somethingclever

Postby somethingclever » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:22 pm

hopin10 wrote:

I interviewed with them two weeks ago but have a friend who just got her second round email. They way they explained it to me is that there is a 3rd round, then they hire maybe 10 in January. They then wait until May or June to hire 40-50 more depending on attrition and funding. They don't get the budget until then. Also, I know if you applied to juvenile or anything not adult criminal practice that stuff will not happen until later in the year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:26 pm

I had my second round a few weeks ago over the phone. I actually don't recall a single hypo. We spoke for about an hour and a half, and I'd say the conversation broke down as:

1/3 "getting to know you" questions and football banter
1/2 discussing my internship and clinical experiences
1/6 discussing my questions for him

I got an offer by e-mail later that week, though that is partly because I'm a December grad and they wanted to make sure I had time to apply for the February bar. Good luck!

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:53 pm

somethingclever wrote:
hopin10 wrote:

I interviewed with them two weeks ago but have a friend who just got her second round email. They way they explained it to me is that there is a 3rd round, then they hire maybe 10 in January. They then wait until May or June to hire 40-50 more depending on attrition and funding. They don't get the budget until then. Also, I know if you applied to juvenile or anything not adult criminal practice that stuff will not happen until later in the year.

is this for summer or for full-time work? If its for summer are you guys at NYC schools? Seems weird to have 3 round interviews for summer internships

sallymae

Postby sallymae » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
somethingclever wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Oh, just realized you may be talking summer internship. I am wondering for first year criminal attorneys for Bronx. Everyone still waiting?

hey -

I have a first round set up for Bx Defenders for first year criminal attny - and I heard from someone else that they had an interview near Thanksgiving? Not sure where you're at with the process.

Any chance you applied to Prettyman as well - have you heard?

somethingclever

Postby somethingclever » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:04 pm

I thought it was this thread but maybe it was another. People have been getting Prettyman callbacks - I didn't get one yet. Assuming I'm dinged there.

It's interesting that you have a first round set up with Bronx. They had second rounds the week of and week before Thanksgiving. My impression was that they were hiring all their attorneys from that pool but sounds like perhaps I'm mistaken. I thought that they said they would decide this week or next but a friend who also interviewed thought they said "mid-December." So I'm not sure if I'm out if I don't hear by the end of this week.

I'm booked on a flight to do second round in Miami but would love to just hear from Bronx and be able to focus on exams. They are my top choice so I'd take that right away.

sallymae

Postby sallymae » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:15 pm

somethingclever wrote:I thought it was this thread but maybe it was another. People have been getting Prettyman callbacks - I didn't get one yet. Assuming I'm dinged there.

It's interesting that you have a first round set up with Bronx. They had second rounds the week of and week before Thanksgiving. My impression was that they were hiring all their attorneys from that pool but sounds like perhaps I'm mistaken. I thought that they said they would decide this week or next but a friend who also interviewed thought they said "mid-December." So I'm not sure if I'm out if I don't hear by the end of this week.

I'm booked on a flight to do second round in Miami but would love to just hear from Bronx and be able to focus on exams. They are my top choice so I'd take that right away.

So did you have an in-person first round with Bx, or over the phone? How long was your second round? I have an in-person interview set up.... All very confusing.

thanks for writing.

Return to “Legal Employment”