How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:09 pm

2L ding from mecklenburg. Really bummed because I interviewed great at least I thought I did :(

hopin10

Postby hopin10 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Right but I think if you could get practice elsewhere like through a clinic an internship with great training and no in court time would carry far too.

What do you mean by great training, exactly? By observation?

robin600

Postby robin600 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:01 pm

Any 3Ls hear on NH? Have a friend waiting.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:05 pm

hopin10 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Right but I think if you could get practice elsewhere like through a clinic an internship with great training and no in court time would carry far too.

What do you mean by great training, exactly? By observation?

What program just makes you observe court all the time? Observing is good but you need substantive work too like client interviews memos etc. if poster is just supposed to watch court all day I'd gtfo!

Whoops this was me didn't mean to use anon robin600

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:06 pm

robin600 wrote:Any 3Ls hear on NH? Have a friend waiting.

I'm still waiting and hoping. This was seriously the most fun, best interview I've ever had.

magicdonquan

Postby magicdonquan » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:15 pm

Hey guys, 1L here. I'm looking to send in my application for a summer PD internship in the next few weeks to an office I really want to work with. Any advice on the cover letter? Should it mostly focus on the "why I want to be a PD" theme?
Thanks!

robin600

Postby robin600 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I'm still waiting and hoping. This was seriously the most fun, best interview I've ever had.

That's funny because I've heard the opposite from some people. Good luck!

robin600

Postby robin600 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:16 pm

magicdonquan wrote:Hey guys, 1L here. I'm looking to send in my application for a summer PD internship in the next few weeks to an office I really want to work with. Any advice on the cover letter? Should it mostly focus on the "why I want to be a PD" theme?
Thanks!

That and why this office. Tailor every cover letter.

hopin10

Postby hopin10 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:31 am

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:34 am

hopin10 wrote:

Yup. They came to OCI. Second rounds are in December.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
hopin10 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:And I also think that you should pick the office that has the best training. Some agencies are well known and provide grea opportunities even if you can't go on the record. Like having legal aid or PDS on your résumé will take you far even though you're not appearing before the court.

Also anyone know how to handle the why x and not us question? This one gets me every time.

Pretty sure that Legal Aid lets students appear on the record. I see the point, though.

I might worry about spending too much time at an office that doesn't let you argue in court. A fancy name is great, but you may be in rough shape when you can't point to a time you actually represented a client in court come 3L interviews.

I haven't run up against the "Why did you work with another defender org and not us?" question. I would think answers about school connections, proximity to home, timing of offers would all suffice here.

So I can totally dig this but I'm at a loss when it comes to knowing people who could give me insight. Anyone know anything about BDS or NJ defenders?

I did 2L summer with NJ OPD. I had LOTS of court time. And I think there are a LOT of post-grad employment opportunities. It is a state-wide agency that exclusively covers the PD work for the entire state. BDS is niche and small and exclusive and snobby, in my mind. If you fit what they are looking for, it could be great. They have the whole holistic thing going on, and the lawyers there are probably better than NJ. But if you are straight up looking for court time and post-grad chances, NJ is best.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
hopin10 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:And I also think that you should pick the office that has the best training. Some agencies are well known and provide grea opportunities even if you can't go on the record. Like having legal aid or PDS on your résumé will take you far even though you're not appearing before the court.

Also anyone know how to handle the why x and not us question? This one gets me every time.

Pretty sure that Legal Aid lets students appear on the record. I see the point, though.

I might worry about spending too much time at an office that doesn't let you argue in court. A fancy name is great, but you may be in rough shape when you can't point to a time you actually represented a client in court come 3L interviews.

I haven't run up against the "Why did you work with another defender org and not us?" question. I would think answers about school connections, proximity to home, timing of offers would all suffice here.

So I can totally dig this but I'm at a loss when it comes to knowing people who could give me insight. Anyone know anything about BDS or NJ defenders?

I did 2L summer with NJ OPD. I had LOTS of court time. And I think there are a LOT of post-grad employment opportunities. It is a state-wide agency that exclusively covers the PD work for the entire state. BDS is niche and small and exclusive and snobby, in my mind. If you fit what they are looking for, it could be great. They have the whole holistic thing going on, and the lawyers there are probably better than NJ. But if you are straight up looking for court time and post-grad chances, NJ is best.

Does nj hire pre bar?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:41 pm

Email ding from Ventura DA (Post Bar.) :(

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
hopin10 wrote:

When you say BDS, do you mean Bronx? I know Bronx is pretty famous for the holistic thing, I didn't think Brooklyn was like that. What office did you intern at over the summer in NJ? Due to personal circumstances I can pretty much only work in the Hudson or Newark offices. Anymore insight would be really appreciated!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:00 pm

robin600 wrote:Does nj hire pre bar?

A pd I interviewed with said they hire post-bar based on need

robin600

Postby robin600 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
robin600 wrote:Does nj hire pre bar?

A pd I interviewed with said they hire post-bar based on need

Do they have reciprocity with other states bars? Like MD where if u take the bar in one state you have two years to take it in MD but you can still practice.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
hopin10 wrote:

could you pm me about NJ?

hopin10

Postby hopin10 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:38 pm

Edit-Wrong forum!
Last edited by hopin10 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:42 pm

Anyone else applying for the Prettyman?

Rirruto

Postby Rirruto » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else applying for the Prettyman?

That actually looks pretty cool. The application has a place for bar scores. Is this something that 3Ls can be competitive for?

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:13 pm

Rirruto wrote:

That actually looks pretty cool. The application has a place for bar scores. Is this something that 3Ls can be competitive for?

yes, but you got to be preftigious

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:17 pm

1L here - thinking about possible summer internships. Anyone know anything about Western Washington prosecutor's offices? Specifically King/Pierce/Snohomish Counties?

hopin10

Postby hopin10 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:19 pm

Rirruto wrote:

Yes, it looks like past Prettymans are a mix of newly minted JDs and PDs with a few years of experience under their belt.

This video also seems helpful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBlteqbnqiM.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:03 pm

hopin10 wrote:
Rirruto wrote:

Yes, it looks like past Prettymans are a mix of newly minted JDs and PDs with a few years of experience under their belt.

This video also seems helpful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBlteqbnqiM.

The fact that only 1,000 people viewed the video in a year and a half kinda gives one hope? My guess is that like most things like this its for t14 law review, moot court and mock trial types.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:09 pm

anything else like this out there? I guess that southern public defender training center is kinda this way?

Return to “Legal Employment”