How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:35 am

ding from Nassau DA about 2 weeks after oci. not wholly surprised as the interview I felt went pretty bad.

Still waiting on Manhattan DA after oci ~2 weeks ago as well, curious if anyone's heard from them yet?

robin600

Postby robin600 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:Got a thin envelope from DC PDS yesterday, dated the 19th. Since I submitted on the 12th, I was surprised by the quick turn around. I knew the chances of getting the gig were slim, but I didn't expect to get dinged so quickly: Top quarter at a T2 (A's in con law, crim law, legal writing, and crim pro), several public defense/interest internships, criminal law clinic, and pre-law school work experience/residence in the District.

You got dinged because they have already begun their second round interviews, call backs. In order to be competitive you need to have applied in early August.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:11 pm

robin600 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got a thin envelope from DC PDS yesterday, dated the 19th. Since I submitted on the 12th, I was surprised by the quick turn around. I knew the chances of getting the gig were slim, but I didn't expect to get dinged so quickly: Top quarter at a T2 (A's in con law, crim law, legal writing, and crim pro), several public defense/interest internships, criminal law clinic, and pre-law school work experience/residence in the District.

You got dinged because they have already begun their second round interviews, call backs. In order to be competitive you need to have applied in early August.

Well, I sent in a packet of my materials in August but the hiring director told me to apply when the application for trial attorney was put up on the website, which wasn't until Sept 17 with a October 12 due date.

I'm talking about a full time gig, not a summer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:45 pm

Anyone know what Cook County round one is like?

Displeased

Postby Displeased » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
robin600 wrote:

Well, I sent in a packet of my materials in August but the hiring director told me to apply when the application for trial attorney was put up on the website, which wasn't until Sept 17 with a October 12 due date.

In my experience, applications for full-time PD gigs tend to have very quick turnarounds. When they have an opening, it needs to be filled immediately. So, if you're selected for an interview, you'll get called within a week of the closing date. Granted, my experience is limited to state offices, maybe its different for more prestigious jobs like DC PDS.

As for why you got dinged: are you still in school? Its possible you got auto-dinged simply for not having passed the bar exam.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:11 am

Displeased wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
robin600 wrote:

In my experience, applications for full-time PD gigs tend to have very quick turnarounds. When they have an opening, it needs to be filled immediately. So, if you're selected for an interview, you'll get called within a week of the closing date. Granted, my experience is limited to state offices, maybe its different for more prestigious jobs like DC PDS.

As for why you got dinged: are you still in school? Its possible you got auto-dinged simply for not having passed the bar exam.

PDS doesn't work like everywhere else. It follows a very regimented timeline.

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:18 am

What robin600 said about PDS's timeline is true, my 2nd round interview last year was in the third week of October. Waiting until the last possible day to submit his/her application might not be why that anonymous poster got rejected but it definitely didn't help.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
robin600 wrote:

seatown12 wrote:What robin600 said about PDS's timeline is true, my 2nd round interview last year was in the third week of October. Waiting until the last possible day to submit his/her application might not be why that anonymous poster got rejected but it definitely didn't help.

Yeah I have friends who are in the second round stage and I talked with someone who said they are in the process of cutting down to final interviews. Likely means new apps won't be reviewed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:00 pm

When applying to a prosecutor's office, what should be the appropriate response to the following?:

You find out the only witness to your case just died of a heart attack. You are on your way to the courtroom to have the case dismissed when defense counsel comes to you and says his client wants to change his plea. What do you do? (My initial thought is that Brady requires disclosure of all material evidence. However, the defendant decided to admit guilt. Since this isn't going to trial the prosecutor won't need to prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt if the defendant pleads out, a prosecutor wouldn't have to tell the defendant pursuant to Brady. But then ABA Rule 3.8 says prosecutors can't bring cases not supported by probable cause, and now the only witness to support that probable cause is gone. What is a proper response?)

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When applying to a prosecutor's office, what should be the appropriate response to the following?:

You find out the only witness to your case just died of a heart attack. You are on your way to the courtroom to have the case dismissed when defense counsel comes to you and says his client wants to change his plea. What do you do? (My initial thought is that Brady requires disclosure of all material evidence. However, the defendant decided to admit guilt. Since this isn't going to trial the prosecutor won't need to prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt if the defendant pleads out, a prosecutor wouldn't have to tell the defendant pursuant to Brady. But then ABA Rule 3.8 says prosecutors can't bring cases not supported by probable cause, and now the only witness to support that probable cause is gone. What is a proper response?)

That's messed up. And I have to imagine the correct response for competitive offices is to take the plea deal offer.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:12 pm

Lol that reminds me of a friend who was interviewing for a PD office and had a hypo about what to do if a client asks you to remove your shoes and/or socks because they have a belief that bare feet shows trust and respect or something like that. She was told she was one of the few who answered it in a professional manner, and a few interviewees even responded by saying "I'd take them off"

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:23 pm

didn't she know that all PD's wear Birkenstocks in the courtroom anyways?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When applying to a prosecutor's office, what should be the appropriate response to the following?:

You disclose it. At least that was my response and I got a cb. Prosecutors are competitive but we are also supposed to be ethical. Aba and NDAA standards would seem to say that you can't bring a case unless you have at least probable cause (ABA) and that the charge could be substantiated by admissible evidence at trial (NDAA). Furthermore, when you're in court and judge asks for a factual basis or asks the defendant if he is aware of the witnesses and evidence both for and against him, you're gonna be in a bit of an uncomfortable position. When in doubt, disclose.

Btw I don't think Brady applies only at the trial stage. In fact, I'm almost certain it doesn't. The reason I don't think Brady applies here is that the death of a witness is not exculpatory evidence.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:48 pm

Tanicius wrote:
That's messed up. And I have to imagine the correct response for competitive offices is to take the plea deal offer.

I'd say that's one of the worst answers you could give, absent an elaborate justification that involves reporting to your division chief and that demonstrates you are very sensitive to the ethical implications of your decision. They are emphatically NOT looking for "prosecute and ask questions later" type of attorneys. Most large offices are looking for responsible, ethical, justice minded individuals. Yes they bungle the hiring sometimes and hire pricks who make a career out of being a prick; but that's the exception rather than the model prosecutor.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:37 pm

got a so called "second interview" for San Diego post bar, though I didn't go through the screener

email notifying me also said that this is a "volunteer program" I hope that is a freaking mistake because their website says Fall post-bar is paid.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:got a so called "second interview" for San Diego post bar, though I didn't go through the screener

email notifying me also said that this is a "volunteer program" I hope that is a freaking mistake because their website says Fall post-bar is paid.

According to my school's OCI (and from talking to people who have been through the SD post bar clerk program) it is paid. Whether they have a separate post bar program that is unpaid, I don't know, but I doubt it. Maybe double check their website (or whatever avenue you went through) to make sure you applied for what you thought you applied for?

robin600

Postby robin600 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:04 pm

Anyone heard from EJW interviews yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:14 am

robin600 wrote:Anyone heard from EJW interviews yet?

Yup. Moving forward with CPCS!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:got a so called "second interview" for San Diego post bar, though I didn't go through the screener

Is this DA or PD? How did you apply?

hopin10

Postby hopin10 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:10 am

seatown12 wrote:What robin600 said about PDS's timeline is true, my 2nd round interview last year was in the third week of October. Waiting until the last possible day to submit his/her application might not be why that anonymous poster got rejected but it definitely didn't help.

Good to know.
Last edited by hopin10 on Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Is this DA or PD? How did you apply?

PD, applied through email a few weeks ago

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:15 pm

I'm trying to decide between the OC DA and San Diego DA. OC pays much more for their entry-levels and I think I'd rather live there. So here's my question: does anyone know about odds of 2L's getting permanent later on? Obviously you'll have to re-apply, but does anyone know how much either office pulls from their 2L clerks?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
robin600 wrote:Anyone heard from EJW interviews yet?

Yup. Moving forward with CPCS!

Anonymous poster above. Just heard back from Miami, too. Second rounds.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:36 pm

What an awful question! Which office asks this? And why are we going to trial on a case with no officer (or is the officer the one who died of a heart attack?)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

What an awful question! Which office asks this? And why are we going to trial on a case with no officer (or is the officer the one who died of a heart attack?)

Well, this specific hypo's come up a bunch of times on this board (maybe even this thread? I know I've seen it here before), so either people here just keep applying to the same office that uses it, or it's relatively common.

(My understanding was that Brady requires disclosure of exculpatory evidence - but the witness dying isn't exculpatory, because it doesn't change the likelihood that the def committed the crime, just the prosecution's ability to prove it. Not sure how the witness dying ties into probable cause, though - never took Crim Pro! My theory is when in doubt, disclose. But also, most interviewers want to see your thought process more than they want you to come up with a right answer.)

Return to “Legal Employment”