How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ding via mail from Brooklyn ~2 weeks after OCI interview.

Sorry to hear man DA or PD?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Ding via mail from Brooklyn ~2 weeks after OCI interview.

Sorry to hear man DA or PD?

BDS.

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Also,what sort of grades would I need for this? In light of the fact that they get 200 apps for 50 positions (according to the Arizona Government Honors site), how can I stand out from the pack? I do have ties to the area + tons of public service stuff, including experience working with DV victims. Want Philly DA soooooo bad!

jesus. 200 applicants for 50 spots? now i feel worse about not even getting an interview for 1L summer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:43 pm

:( Sorry to hear that. If you don't mind disclosing, what are your "stats" and do you have ties to Philly?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote::( Sorry to hear that. If you don't mind disclosing, what are your "stats" and do you have ties to Philly?

when I applied, I was top 20 percent from a then t25 law school. No direct philly ties, however, plenty of eastern PA ties (family in reading/allentown).

applied again this year for one of their 2L spots but haven't heard anything. Philly DA would be my dream DA job.

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:24 pm

^my bad. that's me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:53 pm

Philly DA is my dream job, too--good luck! Don't lose hope b/c that AZ Gov. Honors site said interviews for 2L spots (there will be 25 this year, some paid) will continue through early December. :D

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:25 pm

Secondary market DA interview for job after graduation coming up. Any preparation I should do beyond reviewing prosecutorial ethics?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Secondary market DA interview for job after graduation coming up. Any preparation I should do beyond reviewing prosecutorial ethics?

Know your crim pro as well.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote::( Sorry to hear that. If you don't mind disclosing, what are your "stats" and do you have ties to Philly?

when I applied, I was top 20 percent from a then t25 law school. No direct philly ties, however, plenty of eastern PA ties (family in reading/allentown).

applied again this year for one of their 2L spots but haven't heard anything. Philly DA would be my dream DA job.

Do you know a professor who could put in a call for you? Might do some good to get you on their radar if it's your dream job.

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:33 am

robin600 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Do you know a professor who could put in a call for you? Might do some good to get you on their radar if it's your dream job.

good idea. i'll see what i can do on that front. tyty.

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:Philly DA is my dream job, too--good luck! Don't lose hope b/c that AZ Gov. Honors site said interviews for 2L spots (there will be 25 this year, some paid) will continue through early December. :D

thanks man. good luck too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:20 am

Anyone get a call form Cook County SAO? First rounds went out this week I think.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:27 am

Does anyone know if a criminal history (misdemeanor arrests, no conviction) effectively prevents one from working in a DA's office?

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone get a call form Cook County SAO? First rounds went out this week I think.

Yes got a call. they're interviewing week after thanksgiving.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:11 pm

Who's freaking out for EJW?! I am kinda nervous but really excited at the same time. How's everyone's last minute prep going?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:28 pm

Did anyone apply to Philly DA as a 1L? What was the selection process like? What do they look for besides ties to Philly and demonstrated commitment to public service?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Who's freaking out for EJW?! I am kinda nervous but really excited at the same time. How's everyone's last minute prep going?

Well, I'm freaking out right now because I'm stuck in the airport due to an electrical storm and am likely going to lose my hotel reservation (not staying at the Gateway) if I don't make it there before midnight EST. FML.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:11 pm

Had an OCI screener with a state attorney's office in central Florida yesterday. Most chill interview ever. No hypos at all. Asked about my clinic and other prosecution experience and a few other things about me and then the other half of the interview was me asking them questions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had an OCI screener with a state attorney's office in central Florida yesterday. Most chill interview ever. No hypos at all. Asked about my clinic and other prosecution experience and a few other things about me and then the other half of the interview was me asking them questions.

Miami?

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Had an OCI screener with a state attorney's office in central Florida yesterday. Most chill interview ever. No hypos at all. Asked about my clinic and other prosecution experience and a few other things about me and then the other half of the interview was me asking them questions.

Miami?

central florida...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Miami?

No. Night and day with Miami. Miami SAO screener had hypos. This was for the 10th Circuit SAO.

Myself

Postby Myself » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:13 am

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:08 am

I can't tell you whether I did great at hypos or not but I got a cb so I guess I didn't fuck it up too badly. My advice is just to explain your answers and work through it like you would a crim pro exam question. If they look at you funny, don't back down. They'll play devil's advocate and keep pushing you but just explain your reasoning and stick to your guns. Don't worry about giving them the answer you think they want. Again, can't say this is all the best but it worked for me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:24 pm

Got a thin envelope from DC PDS yesterday, dated the 19th. Since I submitted on the 12th, I was surprised by the quick turn around. I knew the chances of getting the gig were slim, but I didn't expect to get dinged so quickly: Top quarter at a T2 (A's in con law, crim law, legal writing, and crim pro), several public defense/interest internships, criminal law clinic, and pre-law school work experience/residence in the District.

Return to “Legal Employment”