How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Totally struck out with EJW

MD, Bronx, Brooklyn, Palm Beach, Miami

Top 25% at T60. Internship with FPD first summer, employment discrimination work for ex-offenders second summer. Criminal law clinic as a 3L.

Wrote about ties in personalized cover letters for all of them.

Totally confused.

Any reason you didn't apply to Colorado, Legal Aid, CPCS, Mecklenburg?

I didn't have ties to those and didn't think it was worth the time to put the application in without them.

Also, I forgot to mention the ding from San Diego's FPD.

My friend, with similar stats and public interest work, applied to all the civil legal aid gigs and didn't get any interviews either.

Myself

Postby Myself » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:12 am

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:05 am

Damn I didn't think competition would be so brutal

robin600

Postby robin600 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:25 am

I wonder if some of it had to do with when you submitted apps. I feel like the apps that I got dinged at I didn't submit until later on where the ones I got accepted at I submitted first?

Lady Heather

Postby Lady Heather » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:47 am

robin600 wrote:I wonder if some of it had to do with when you submitted apps. I feel like the apps that I got dinged at I didn't submit until later on where the ones I got accepted at I submitted first?

I'm not sure this is possible. The employers were not even able to make selections until after the application deadline.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:27 pm

3L EJW

applied to all PD/legal aid jobs

Accepted: NH PD, Palm Beach PD
Dinged: everywhere else

top 20% T30, editor on L Rev, Year long criminal/immigration clinic, 2 PD internships, summered with a private firm doing civil litigation

I'm pretty bummed I didn't get to at least interview with the legal aid organizations. I'd like to be a PD, but I'm much more interested in civil litigation.

There is just something PI organizations don't like about my resume. A friend has told me that I should leave off my military service because people will think I'm conservative, but I don't know about that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:43 pm

3L Dinged on everything

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:19 pm

Its really hard to figure out what they are looking for. I'm pretty confused by EJW as a 2L and feel pretty bad for the 3Ls who hoped it would be helpful.

Myself

Postby Myself » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:20 pm

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:37 pm

The only thing I can think is that since it's so early for public interest hiring that they're all interviewing the same handful of top candidates, figuring that the rest of us good candidates will apply to them later anyway?

Gettingstarted1928

Postby Gettingstarted1928 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:54 pm

I don't know if this a desirable option for many of you, but have you considered targeting smaller cities/towns? I see a lot of big offices in here (e.g., Queens, San Fran, etc.), which are undoubtedly very competitive. As long as you don't think you'd be unhappy at a small office with only a handful of attorneys, you might want to send some apps to some of them.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:02 pm

When do people find out about the waiting list? Maybe something will come along that way.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:28 pm

robin600 wrote:When do people find out about the waiting list? Maybe something will come along that way.

I don't know about you, but My Activity shows "0 Waiting List" for me.

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:36 pm

Gettingstarted1928 wrote:I don't know if this a desirable option for many of you, but have you considered targeting smaller cities/towns? I see a lot of big offices in here (e.g., Queens, San Fran, etc.), which are undoubtedly very competitive. As long as you don't think you'd be unhappy at a small office with only a handful of attorneys, you might want to send some apps to some of them.

At least for PD-minded folks, many states either have statewide agencies that do all their hiring or smaller localities simply do not have a public defender agency and hire private attorneys to represent individuals who would normally be served by a PD. In some instances, though, that will be an option. Additionally, this is merely one way to get hired by these agencies. A PD office I interned with told me they were going to decline me for the EJW fair but would offer me an interview in person at some point.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:42 pm

the lantern wrote:
Gettingstarted1928 wrote:I don't know if this a desirable option for many of you, but have you considered targeting smaller cities/towns? I see a lot of big offices in here (e.g., Queens, San Fran, etc.), which are undoubtedly very competitive. As long as you don't think you'd be unhappy at a small office with only a handful of attorneys, you might want to send some apps to some of them.

At least for PD-minded folks, many states either have statewide agencies that do all their hiring or smaller localities simply do not have a public defender agency and hire private attorneys to represent individuals who would normally be served by a PD. In some instances, though, that will be an option. Additionally, this is merely one way to get hired by these agencies. A PD office I interned with told me they were going to decline me for the EJW fair but would offer me an interview in person at some point.

Bronx?

Rocío

Postby Rocío » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:47 pm

I find this really interesting that EJW is so hyped when it seems like 3Ls don't have much luck landing interviews through it. Same thing happened last year - I knew about a dozen students at my school with solid PD/prosecutor experience who either got nothing or only 1 interview at EJW last year. I would advise 3Ls to focus on your local public interest/government fairs and apply directly to offices. Make sure to use your contacts, like your supervising attorneys from internships/externships and your crim clinic professors. All it takes sometimes is just a phone call from one of your references to get your resume pulled to the top of the pile.

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
the lantern wrote:

Bronx?

Nope, one of the states with a statewide agency.

Displeased

Postby Displeased » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:11 pm

EJW is overrated for 3Ls. Everybody knows about EJW, so you've got everybody remotely interested in PI in the country applying for the same handful of jobs. Its just a numbers game, too many applicants, WAY too few positions.

Apply directly to local offices. Many states have dozens of prosecutor/PD offices. A student at a Top 30 school with good grades and solid PI experience isn't going to get an interview at EJW, but that same student's resume looks like gold when its sent directly to a state office. The EJW people are drowning in perfect resumes, but at a state office where the average ADA or APD went to a unranked school back in the mid-90s, its significantly easier to have the most impressive resume in the pile.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:39 pm

A cohort just secured an SA position in the state capitol with the AG’s office. I take it that this type of experience should be a boost to her BL chances. Not that she has a choice, but out of curiosity which division do you think would be the most impressive white collar or something else?

robin600

Postby robin600 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
robin600 wrote:When do people find out about the waiting list? Maybe something will come along that way.

I don't know about you, but My Activity shows "0 Waiting List" for me.

I think all students first selected have to sign up first before wait lists role in. I was just wondering if anyone knew the date.

I'm open for winding up anywhere as long as im doing pd work but the thing with big offices is they hire more because of higher turnover, bigger hr budgets, etc. summering at a smaller office may not give you the chance to get hired by them in the immediate future if they don't foresee any openings. My first summer was with a well known and prestigious smaller office ~35. I'd go back for a second summer in a heartbeat, but I know they aren't hiring anyone next year because their budget got smashed, new hires had to take a paycut, and those who transferred out or planned to transfer out have already been accounted for. I with my supervisors agreement thought that although he/she wanted me back she thought hiring wise going to a different office was the best choice.

Idk just my two cents

robin600

Postby robin600 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:25 pm

I found this over in the non-oci thread. Not thinking I'm a fan of this practice seeing as how some seriously PI people got shut out.

Anonymous User wrote:
Light wrote:Congrats you guys! I haven't heard anything from the PI fair except for a decline from AU.

Also managed to get an offer at a small firm.

Are many people doing this (EJW fair)? I don't want to do PI, but so far 4 interview requests and 9 rejections (1 that I'd actually wanted :/).

Mass-mailing: mailed about 40 NYC so far, only 1 screener/CB hybrid out of it. Moving to Chicago and DC firms now, but might be too late. Also, going to start following up on NYC firms now.

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:45 pm

robin600 wrote:I found this over in the non-oci thread. Not thinking I'm a fan of this practice seeing as how some seriously PI people got shut out.

Anonymous User wrote:
Light wrote:Congrats you guys! I haven't heard anything from the PI fair except for a decline from AU.

Also managed to get an offer at a small firm.

Are many people doing this (EJW fair)? I don't want to do PI, but so far 4 interview requests and 9 rejections (1 that I'd actually wanted :/).

Mass-mailing: mailed about 40 NYC so far, only 1 screener/CB hybrid out of it. Moving to Chicago and DC firms now, but might be too late. Also, going to start following up on NYC firms now.

It is especially shitty considering that most PI employers will tell you that you need a demonstrated commitment to public service and that other things aren't as important (although they clearly distinguish you from others). If that individual really isn't that interested in PI, you can't blame only him/her... look at the employers as well.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:29 pm

Just had this thought today. I'm a 2L so it is a little ways off but how to PD/DA people get money to study for the bar?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:38 pm

Loans, honey, loans.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:03 pm

I've tried this. I selected three states which I had pretty decent connections to and applied to EVERY da office in each state. I didn't get a single rejection letter. Instead every small office sent me a letter saying "we'd love to talk to you further. Contact us when you have passed our state's bar."

In other words there appears to be some interest from small offices. But they won't talk to before you've passed the bar. This means you have to commit to taking the bar in a state in order to work at one of these offices, which severely limits how many of these jobs you can even apply for.

Return to “Legal Employment”