How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273314
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do folks put "relevant coursework" that mentions crim pro, evidence, etc. on their resume? I don't, but I wonder if I'm selling myself short. (I relied on the fact that I was a certified law student to speak to these courses.)

I do. But I am a 3L and have taken nearly 10 crim/trial ad courses.

School tier? Other experience (e.g., clinic, externship, arguing under student practice order)? Trying to contextualize.

DNCG; student practice during 2L summer; no clinic; no mock trial/moot court; no journal; lots of various internships, but only one PD

Anonymous User
Posts: 273314
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do folks put "relevant coursework" that mentions crim pro, evidence, etc. on their resume? I don't, but I wonder if I'm selling myself short. (I relied on the fact that I was a certified law student to speak to these courses.)

I do. But I am a 3L and have taken nearly 10 crim/trial ad courses.

School tier? Other experience (e.g., clinic, externship, arguing under student practice order)? Trying to contextualize.

DNCG; student practice during 2L summer; no clinic; no mock trial/moot court; no journal; lots of various internships, but only one PD


Thanks.

User avatar
Lawst
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:02 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Lawst » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:10 pm

EJW tally so far: 6 rejections, 0 interviews. Six more offices that I haven't heard from yet.

Dinged by:
NY Civil Liberties Union
NOLA PD
Appleseed
Bread for the City
Legal Aid Society DC
Poverty & Race Research Action Council

Some of them are more policy-oriented, so not shocking. Hoping to get something from EJW. Did a PD internship 1L summer. T1 school.

ETA: Make that seven. National Women's Law Center just said LOLNO as well. I'm not sure how I feel about a job fair that e-mails you rejections. I feel like usually you hear if you get something.

Edited again - actually now 10 have said no. Two are still "requested," but I don't think I have much of a shot at them. First I strike out completely at even getting interviews at OCI and now this. Awesome.
Last edited by Lawst on Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby chrisbru » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:28 pm

This thread is relevant to my interests.

Considering an internship with the county attorney's office in my home city.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273314
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:34 pm

For EJW, if a position is listed under "preselect," does that just mean I've applied for it and have not yet been selected (or rejected) for an interview?

Lady Heather
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:44 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Lady Heather » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For EJW, if a position is listed under "preselect," does that just mean I've applied for it and have not yet been selected (or rejected) for an interview?

No quite. Check under the "Preselect Status" column. If you've applied, but no decision has been made, it will say "Requested." Otherwise, it will let you know if you've been accepted or not.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273314
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:39 pm

Lady Heather wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For EJW, if a position is listed under "preselect," does that just mean I've applied for it and have not yet been selected (or rejected) for an interview?

No quite. Check under the "Preselect Status" column. If you've applied, but no decision has been made, it will say "Requested." Otherwise, it will let you know if you've been accepted or not.


Thank you! That is what it says. Today's the last day that this status can change, right?

Lady Heather
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:44 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Lady Heather » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Lady Heather wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For EJW, if a position is listed under "preselect," does that just mean I've applied for it and have not yet been selected (or rejected) for an interview?

No quite. Check under the "Preselect Status" column. If you've applied, but no decision has been made, it will say "Requested." Otherwise, it will let you know if you've been accepted or not.

Thank you! That is what it says. Today's the last day that this status can change, right?

Again, not quite. Last year, a lot of employers did not get their decisions in by the deadline. I wouldn't be surprised if we had to wait another day or so this year.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273314
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:49 pm

Lady Heather wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Lady Heather wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For EJW, if a position is listed under "preselect," does that just mean I've applied for it and have not yet been selected (or rejected) for an interview?

No quite. Check under the "Preselect Status" column. If you've applied, but no decision has been made, it will say "Requested." Otherwise, it will let you know if you've been accepted or not.

Thank you! That is what it says. Today's the last day that this status can change, right?

Again, not quite. Last year, a lot of employers did not get their decisions in by the deadline. I wouldn't be surprised if we had to wait another day or so this year.

very helpful, thanks :)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273314
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:05 pm

CPCS has released EJW decisions.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273314
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:09 pm

2L 5 interview requests BDS, eastern cal, mecklenburg, nola, Alaska
Dinged by Harlem, sd, Maryland, new Hampshire.

Only 9 apps

Anonymous User
Posts: 273314
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:40 pm

3L, 10 EJW dings. Tier 2 NYC school, 1L w/ a private criminal defense firm, 3L criminal defense clinic.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273314
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:02 pm

2L EJW reject from New Hampshire PD

lovelaw27
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:35 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby lovelaw27 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:37 pm

I had an interview at a prosecutor's office in a very small town in the midwest today. My interviewer seemed like a very serious person. I felt like I was applying to join the military or something. Is this typical of prosecutor offices in general?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273314
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Did any 3L get BDS?


yes

got BDS

dinged at Maryland, San Diego, and Meckelenburg

T1 Top 1/3 no journal, or moot court

2 summers at big city PD offices, completed semester long PD clinic, and currently working part time at a private criminal defense firm


the Maryland ding pissed me off because I think it's because I didn't write anything about "why MD" I thought going to a DMV UG would have made it self explanatory.


Poster from above

Applied to all 3L PD gigs

Accepted at BDS, Colorado, New Hampshire, and Palm County

Dinged everywhere else (Miami, Maryland, CPCS, Bronx, NYC legal aid, SD Fed, Meckelenburg)

User avatar
robin600
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby robin600 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:18 pm

What does everyone think about how sporadic the dings seem to be. Some seem to be founded while others are puzzling.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273314
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:42 pm

I'm shocked. I got shut out for everything except one civil legal services org. However, I've had interviews w/ legal aid groups where they've accused me of being too interested in criminal lit (based on my resume). I'll have to start mass mailing, but I kind of feel screwed. I just want to do PD work and pretty much don't care where I do it. I mentioned ties in cover letters to two EJW PD offices and both rejected me.

I'll do the table talk, but has anyone received a post-grad offer through table talk?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273314
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:50 pm

3L who posted before. T14, two PD summers at same office (Bronx-Miami-SF caliber). Two clinical/externship experiences.

OCI / direct contact:
Second-round: PDS, NJ
Screeners (no add'l movement yet): Brooklyn, Legal Aid, New Hampshire
Apps outstanding: Bronx

Final EJW results:
Accepts: CPCS, Mecklenberg, Miami
Dings: Colorado, Maryland, Palm Beach, San Diego (federal)
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273314
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:53 pm

I have an interview with Prosecuting Attorneys Association of Michigan (PAAM) for an internship this summer. I was wondering what to expect for the interview. Has anyone had it?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273314
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:03 pm

3L dings from Mecklenburg, Palm Beach, BDS, NH, Miami. Accepted for Colorado.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273314
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:11 pm

Totally struck out with EJW

MD, Bronx, Brooklyn, Palm Beach, Miami

Top 25% at T60. Internship with FPD first summer, employment discrimination work for ex-offenders second summer. Criminal law clinic as a 3L.

Wrote about ties in personalized cover letters for all of them.

Totally confused.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273314
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Totally struck out with EJW

MD, Bronx, Brooklyn, Palm Beach, Miami

Top 25% at T60. Internship with FPD first summer, employment discrimination work for ex-offenders second summer. Criminal law clinic as a 3L.

Wrote about ties in personalized cover letters for all of them.

Totally confused.


Any reason you didn't apply to Colorado, Legal Aid, CPCS, Mecklenburg?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273314
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:27 pm

3L, have an on-campus interview tomorrow morning with Manhattan DA. Expecting to get thrown some hypos and just want to know what to expect. I've obviously read up on some and had gotten some when I had interviewed with them for an internship (which I subsequently didn't get lol). So any advice and anything to know aside from Brady would be really really appreciated.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273314
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Totally struck out with EJW

MD, Bronx, Brooklyn, Palm Beach, Miami

Top 25% at T60. Internship with FPD first summer, employment discrimination work for ex-offenders second summer. Criminal law clinic as a 3L.

Wrote about ties in personalized cover letters for all of them.

Totally confused.

Any reason you didn't apply to Colorado, Legal Aid, CPCS, Mecklenburg?

Completely different anon here:

I applied to every PD that was interviewing 3Ls at EJW. Struck out.

2L summer at PD w/ student practice. Currently working on immigration/crim Padilla issues. DNCG.

I thought my cover letters were good, but maybe I should have been more desperate and radical ("I really need this job + I'm a true believer and hate the po-po").

User avatar
Lawst
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:02 am

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Postby Lawst » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:16 pm

Officially struck out at EJW. 2L here. However, I applied only in DC and NYC, with one exception in New Orleans. I'm surprised that I got zip - I thought I wrote some thoughtful cover letters, had a good PD 1L internship.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.