How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
gdane

Diamond

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Post by gdane » Wed May 22, 2013 2:27 pm

deadpanic wrote:
gdane wrote:Kinda curious if anyone knows. Do the major TX DAs offices only hire post bar?
Yes, only post bar. Same for TN & some other states.
Hmm.

Thanks.

lmr

Bronze

Post by lmr » Wed May 22, 2013 9:23 pm

What's the deal with San Diego PD? Why isn't is gunned for much on here? Or what about Contra Costa PD post-bar?

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Wed May 22, 2013 9:47 pm

They are both heavily gunned for.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Thu May 23, 2013 2:28 am

Tanicius wrote:They are both heavily gunned for.
+1

I didn't even get a freaking interview w/ Contra Costa.
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wbrother

Bronze

Post by wbrother » Thu May 23, 2013 6:38 pm

Anyone know anything about hiring at San Bernardino PD?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JRustle

New

Post by JRustle » Thu May 23, 2013 8:43 pm

Anyone got any guidance on this? Our defense clinic is 1 semester, and the prosecution clinic is 2. Speaking to older students it sounds like there is a pretty good chance if you take the defense clinic, you won't actually see a case the whole way through, whereas the prosecution clinic obviously gas much better odds. I am interested in doing PD; any guesses on which they might to see in a transcript prefer in general?

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Thu May 23, 2013 9:39 pm

JRustle wrote:Anyone got any guidance on this? Our defense clinic is 1 semester, and the prosecution clinic is 2. Speaking to older students it sounds like there is a pretty good chance if you take the defense clinic, you won't actually see a case the whole way through, whereas the prosecution clinic obviously gas much better odds. I am interested in doing PD; any guesses on which they might to see in a transcript prefer in general?
If you want to be a PD dont do the DA clinic, even though it sounds like a better experience overall it would not be a good look. Anyway, my school's PD clinic allowed students to come back on their own time and continue volunteering after the internship was over if they had a trial or something that got pushed out of the semester. I doubt that it would be a problem for you to come back and finish a case.
wbrother wrote:Anyone know anything about hiring at San Bernardino PD?
I sent them an application for a post bar clerkship several months ago. I think they emailed me back a month or two ago that they got my application. They made it very clear that their program is volunteer only. I haven't heard anything from them since then.

seatown12

Silver

Post by seatown12 » Thu May 23, 2013 11:10 pm

Borhas wrote:
I sent them an application for a post bar clerkship several months ago. I think they emailed me back a month or two ago that they got my application. They made it very clear that their program is volunteer only. I haven't heard anything from them since then.
I applied for the post-bar last year and they didn't contact me to schedule an interview until after the final deadline for the CA bar exam. No idea how many DPDs they hired though, if any.

wbrother

Bronze

Post by wbrother » Fri May 24, 2013 11:17 am

Borhas wrote:
JRustle wrote:Anyone got any guidance on this? Our defense clinic is 1 semester, and the prosecution clinic is 2. Speaking to older students it sounds like there is a pretty good chance if you take the defense clinic, you won't actually see a case the whole way through, whereas the prosecution clinic obviously gas much better odds. I am interested in doing PD; any guesses on which they might to see in a transcript prefer in general?
If you want to be a PD dont do the DA clinic, even though it sounds like a better experience overall it would not be a good look. Anyway, my school's PD clinic allowed students to come back on their own time and continue volunteering after the internship was over if they had a trial or something that got pushed out of the semester. I doubt that it would be a problem for you to come back and finish a case.
Volunteer only?
How out of date/incorrect is that Davis PDF on CA PDs? http://www.law.ucdavis.edu/alumni/volun ... ctices.pdf

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Fri May 24, 2013 12:42 pm

suffice it to say, they are out of date

the only paying PD post bar positions available to law grads in CA are:

Alameda paid post-bar clerkship which seems to reliably lead to a Deputy PD job upon bar passage

San Diego paid post-bar clerkship which seems to reliably lead to a Deputy PD job upon bar passage

Contra Costa paid post bar clerkship which seems to drag on for a long time until you may or may not eventually get hired as a Deputy PD

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Fri May 24, 2013 1:34 pm

San Bernadino City went bankrupt earlier this year. I think that's a sign as to the situation in the county and hiring. I know they hired some in late 2011/early 2012 though. Do a linkedin search to see if anyone got in recently.

lmr

Bronze

Post by lmr » Fri May 24, 2013 9:10 pm

Borhas wrote:suffice it to say, they are out of date

the only paying PD post bar positions available to law grads in CA are:

Alameda paid post-bar clerkship which seems to reliably lead to a Deputy PD job upon bar passage

San Diego paid post-bar clerkship which seems to reliably lead to a Deputy PD job upon bar passage

Contra Costa paid post bar clerkship which seems to drag on for a long time until you may or may not eventually get hired as a Deputy PD

What about the volunteer ones that lead to hiring? A bunch of 3Ls I clerked with at a PD have been submitting apps all over CA. Some actually allow them to volunteer wo an interview. Riverside did this to at least three people I know. Riverside says no courtroom experience but other sort of smaller counties allow for courtroom experience-are Riverside post-bars more likely to be employed than someone at Kern, Monterey, or Solana?

What about LA county? Their post bar app season starts so late and they don't allow you to speak on the record, but do their post bars get hired?

CA PD hiring cycles are awful-I'd hate being a 3L not knowing where I'd end up-going out of state looks more appealing.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Sat May 25, 2013 1:59 pm

I interviewed w/ Solano, they take 6 post bars and expect to hire 4-6 full time PDs this season, but that doesn't mean they all get hired. This would be a good year to work for Solano, they are going to have an increasing case load and have to increase their pd #'s but I think it's a temporary hiring surge. The office isn't that big to hire a bunch of people every year. Also they let post bars handle hearings which is good.

LA expects to hire 15-20 I think and they take about the same but slightly fewer Post-bars, but again that doesn't mean all the post bars get hired. LA doesn't let you handle hearings until you pass the bar which is lame.

Marin let's people do misdo trials and felony hearings but there is very low chance of permanent placement and it's volunteering.

Orange County is one of the bigger offices, it is all volunteer and I think they let people handle hearings. That wouldn't be a bad place to start if you can't get in one of the paid places, and your school funds your volunteering.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Sat May 25, 2013 6:20 pm

Borhas wrote:I interviewed w/ Solano, they take 6 post bars and expect to hire 4-6 full time PDs this season, but that doesn't mean they all get hired. This would be a good year to work for Solano, they are going to have an increasing case load and have to increase their pd #'s but I think it's a temporary hiring surge. The office isn't that big to hire a bunch of people every year. Also they let post bars handle hearings which is good.

LA expects to hire 15-20 I think and they take about the same but slightly fewer Post-bars, but again that doesn't mean all the post bars get hired. LA doesn't let you handle hearings until you pass the bar which is lame.

Marin let's people do misdo trials and felony hearings but there is very low chance of permanent placement and it's volunteering.

Orange County is one of the bigger offices, it is all volunteer and I think they let people handle hearings. That wouldn't be a bad place to start if you can't get in one of the paid places, and your school funds your volunteering.
Friend who recently interned with LA PD who also applied for post-bar says they plan to take 6-8ish. They are actually going to hire? From what he told me he said they hire from the post-bar pool as PDs quit, hence the low number of post-bar applicants they take.

Foosters Galore

Bronze

Post by Foosters Galore » Sat May 25, 2013 6:22 pm

I'll be volunteering at the Orange County PD's office starting a few weeks after the bar exam. Have some good contacts there and pretty good resume for PD work, so I'm hoping it will eventually lead to something.

No idea what I'll do if I strike out everywhere. Oh well, neck deep in barbri right now so no time to worry about that.

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Sat May 25, 2013 6:25 pm

Does anyone have the low down on the current hiring status of So Cali DA offices, particularly LA?

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Mon May 27, 2013 9:03 pm

adonai wrote:Does anyone have the low down on the current hiring status of So Cali DA offices, particularly LA?
My uncle told me that the county was hiring close to hundred last year. He works at the LA DA's office. Not sure what his position is, but he pulls in six figures. Of course, he also told me to just hurry up and get a JD...from anywhere that's accredited.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 27, 2013 11:43 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
adonai wrote:Does anyone have the low down on the current hiring status of So Cali DA offices, particularly LA?
My uncle told me that the county was hiring close to hundred last year. He works at the LA DA's office. Not sure what his position is, but he pulls in six figures. Of course, he also told me to just hurry up and get a JD...from anywhere that's accredited.
Really? DDA positions? There doesn't seem to be anyone hired for 2 or so years, according to the bar attorney search

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Tue May 28, 2013 12:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:
Really? DDA positions? There doesn't seem to be anyone hired for 2 or so years, according to the bar attorney search
I don't think they were all DDA positions though. It's at least a good sign that they're hiring. They've been in a freeze for some time from what I've heard...as most government jobs are. CA is broke as fuck.

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Tue May 28, 2013 12:23 am

ManoftheHour wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:
I don't think they were all DDA positions though. It's at least a good sign that they're hiring. They've been in a freeze for some time from what I've heard...as most government jobs are. CA is broke as fuck.
The last class they hired was in late 2011 to early 2012 where they hired about 40 DDAs. Heard this figure at a DA seminar they held at my law school. They did some investigator hiring after that. Prior to that, they had a 3 year freeze. I don't think they hired anyone this year, though. And yeah, DDA V's earn like 140k-ish. CA had a large surplus in tax revenues this fiscal year, so things are starting to at least get better. Too bad everything will go to schools.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 31, 2013 12:16 pm

I'm working as a summer intern for a local prosecutor's office. I just finished my 1L and don't have a 711 license so I'm not doing too much but I can't stop second guessing everything I'm doing. I've made a few silly mistakes (nothing major at all) but then it lingers in my mind. Is there anything I can keep in mind to relieve this anxiety? I'm on a day off today and I can't stop worrying over the papers I copied and gave to the defense (what if I accidentally left out a sheet and then in court, the state looks bad...will the state just run to a copier and copy it orrrr?). I'm having so many frantic thoughts and it's only been the first week. :oops: And before I get jumped on for asking a stupid question, I'll explain that I was off of my anxiety meds for a few weeks leading up to now and tend to struggle with my anxiety.

tl;dr: what should i keep in mind to shake off any stupid mistakes I make this summer?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Foosters Galore

Bronze

Post by Foosters Galore » Fri May 31, 2013 12:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm working as a summer intern for a local prosecutor's office. I just finished my 1L and don't have a 711 license so I'm not doing too much but I can't stop second guessing everything I'm doing. I've made a few silly mistakes (nothing major at all) but then it lingers in my mind. Is there anything I can keep in mind to relieve this anxiety? I'm on a day off today and I can't stop worrying over the papers I copied and gave to the defense (what if I accidentally left out a sheet and then in court, the state looks bad...will the state just run to a copier and copy it orrrr?). I'm having so many frantic thoughts and it's only been the first week. :oops: And before I get jumped on for asking a stupid question, I'll explain that I was off of my anxiety meds for a few weeks leading up to now and tend to struggle with my anxiety.

tl;dr: what should i keep in mind to shake off any stupid mistakes I make this summer?

To err is human.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 31, 2013 9:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm working as a summer intern for a local prosecutor's office. I just finished my 1L and don't have a 711 license so I'm not doing too much but I can't stop second guessing everything I'm doing. I've made a few silly mistakes (nothing major at all) but then it lingers in my mind. Is there anything I can keep in mind to relieve this anxiety? I'm on a day off today and I can't stop worrying over the papers I copied and gave to the defense (what if I accidentally left out a sheet and then in court, the state looks bad...will the state just run to a copier and copy it orrrr?). I'm having so many frantic thoughts and it's only been the first week. :oops: And before I get jumped on for asking a stupid question, I'll explain that I was off of my anxiety meds for a few weeks leading up to now and tend to struggle with my anxiety.

I'm a prosecutor currently dealing with interns. Just try your best and don't worry about it. We don't expect you to know anything and expect you to fuck up. Just put forth the effort.

MSUlaw49

New

Post by MSUlaw49 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:43 am

I need some advice

I had bad first semester grades but my criminal focused classes are either As or high Bs. I have done a prosecution internship with a pretty busy city and where I basically performed most of the functions of the APA. handled multiple trials with no APA supervision and won a jury trial. Now I am doing another internship with a small prosecutor.

I go to MSU obviously, should I just shoot for prosecution jobs in michigan or is it possible to reach into surrounding states? I'd love to work in Illinois or Indiana

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:36 pm

MSUlaw49 wrote:I need some advice

I had bad first semester grades but my criminal focused classes are either As or high Bs. I have done a prosecution internship with a pretty busy city and where I basically performed most of the functions of the APA. handled multiple trials with no APA supervision and won a jury trial. Now I am doing another internship with a small prosecutor.

I go to MSU obviously, should I just shoot for prosecution jobs in michigan or is it possible to reach into surrounding states? I'd love to work in Illinois or Indiana
You should shoot for every office that you would/could work at

Don't limit yourself in this market, though obviously you may be more competitive within Michigan you seem to be highly qualified so you may have a decent shot at some of the big offices that hire people directly from law school. Just make sure to apply early.
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”