How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:00 pm

Anyone here have any experience working for an NJ prosecutors office?

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:23 pm

Anyone here have experience working for the Defender Association of Philadelphia?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:25 pm

2L here,

Wasted my 1L summer in insurance defense, spent 2L fall at a DA's Office, 2L Spring currently at a Federal PD office, will be getting my student practice license and working for another prosecution organization over the summer where I apparently will be handling motions and speaking in court daily, and applying for a clinical in which I'll be providing defense work for fall 3L.

The only issue here is that I worked for an insurance defense firm instead of building a rapport with a judge during 1L summer, and will never have the opportunity to do so. Should I just cut my losses and forego applying to clerk and attempt to apply to all the pre-bar DA's Offices?

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:03 pm

BlueLotus wrote:Borhas and others: is LR equally a waste of time for PD/DA/Legal Aid-type jerbs? Picked up my writing comp. packet and ended up not completing it. :oops:

I played Diablo 3 instead of doing writing competition; not sure which one would have been a bigger waste of time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2L here,

Wasted my 1L summer in insurance defense, spent 2L fall at a DA's Office, 2L Spring currently at a Federal PD office, will be getting my student practice license and working for another prosecution organization over the summer where I apparently will be handling motions and speaking in court daily, and applying for a clinical in which I'll be providing defense work for fall 3L.

The only issue here is that I worked for an insurance defense firm instead of building a rapport with a judge during 1L summer, and will never have the opportunity to do so. Should I just cut my losses and forego applying to clerk and attempt to apply to all the pre-bar DA's Offices?
Both. the market sucks right now, it's going to be hard to get a DA job not having it on your resume for both summers like everyone else will have on their resume.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:18 pm

What do you mean by "clerk"? Clerk for a DAs office or a judicial clerkship for a judge?

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:30 pm

I think the interning for a judge 1L thing is way over played in law school circles, i.e. just being in a prosecutor's shop both summers is better than doing judge 1L and then DA 2L. Working for a judge 2L summer if you have a DA gig lined up is not advisable.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:53 pm

BlueLotus wrote:Borhas and others: is LR equally a waste of time for PD/DA/Legal Aid-type jerbs? Picked up my writing comp. packet and ended up not completing it. :oops:
it's way worse of a waste of time

moot court is not literally a waste of time in the sense that you don't gain anything from it, it's just that your time could be spent doing better things

law review is literally a waste of time
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:58 pm

Hey Borhas,

has the workload mellowed out at all or are you still balls to the wall?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:21 am

adonai wrote:

What do you mean by "clerk"? Clerk for a DAs office or a judicial clerkship for a judge?
Same anon here, judicial clerkship. I'm kicking myself for not realizing my criminal interest until my 1L summer.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:
adonai wrote:

Same anon here, judicial clerkship. I'm kicking myself for not realizing my criminal interest until my 1L summer.
I'd apply for DAs and clerkships. Neither is guaranteed, but after a clerkship you'll still be competitive for DAs offices.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:48 pm

I assume this falls under what this thread was intended for, but what kind of starting pay can someone who's followed the prosecution path expect? I know it isn't big law dollars, but that's never been an absolute goal for me (no debt whatsoever, and girlfriend makes a good living).

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I assume this falls under what this thread was intended for, but what kind of starting pay can someone who's followed the prosecution path expect? I know it isn't big law dollars, but that's never been an absolute goal for me (no debt whatsoever, and girlfriend makes a good living).
This is in the thread.

That said, since I bothered to type a response I guess I'll just let you know it varies across the country from about $30k to about 60k.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I assume this falls under what this thread was intended for, but what kind of starting pay can someone who's followed the prosecution path expect? I know it isn't big law dollars, but that's never been an absolute goal for me (no debt whatsoever, and girlfriend makes a good living).
Miami ASA here
34K before the bar results come in
40K after your sworn in (i was sworn about 5 days after bar passage)

I'm not starving...somehow.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:16 pm

Anyone know entry-level salaries of CPCS and Philly PD?

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:18 pm

BlueLotus wrote:Anyone know entry-level salaries of CPCS and Philly PD?
Philly 32k pre results, 48k post results.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:32 pm

Say hypothetically, you get a pre-Bar offer in a "hard state" (NY, CA) and end up failing the bar. Do PDs give you one more chance in Feb., or do they relinquish your offer?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:36 pm

spleenworship wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:Anyone know entry-level salaries of CPCS and Philly PD?
Philly 32k pre results, 48k post results.
The discrepancy in salary/caseloads between PD and DA really sucks. :(

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:37 pm

BlueLotus wrote:Say hypothetically, you get a pre-Bar offer in a "hard state" (NY, CA) and end up failing the bar. Do PDs give you one more chance in Feb., or do they relinquish your offer?
Don't know. Was going to ask them this if offered a jerb.

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:13 pm

BlueLotus wrote:Say hypothetically, you get a pre-Bar offer in a "hard state" (NY, CA) and end up failing the bar. Do PDs give you one more chance in Feb., or do they relinquish your offer?
LA gives you the boot

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:18 pm

spleenworship wrote:
GL, bro! I admire your hustle.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:57 pm

BlueLotus wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
GL, bro! I admire your hustle.
Usually they don't but can make exceptions for people they love

Source: hearsay from alameda post bars
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:38 am

Any tips for prosecution interview for 1L summer? How much do they expect me to know?

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:25 am

emarxnj wrote:Any tips for prosecution interview for 1L summer? How much do they expect me to know?
Not much, tbh. Be ready to answer why you want to intern there, what you hope to get out of the internship experience, what attracted you to that office, what bureau you want to work in. Seriously doubtful they'd ask you any hypos.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:42 am

encore1101 wrote:
emarxnj wrote:Any tips for prosecution interview for 1L summer? How much do they expect me to know?
Not much, tbh. Be ready to answer why you want to intern there, what you hope to get out of the internship experience, what attracted you to that office, what bureau you want to work in. Seriously doubtful they'd ask you any hypos.
Yeah that was my main concern. I've got an idea of what to say for the rest of that though. Thanks.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”