How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:47 pm

Tanicius wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Why doe SF PD allow its interns to speak on the record but assigns its post-bars to the research unit? Also what kind of people do the volunteer attorney program? Who can afford to live in SF and work for free? I'm guessing they get fellowship funding or something?
Most offices do things this way. I honestly don't understand why post-bars are given that type of work, when it seems to be both a better learning opportunity to let them do more substantive work, as well as a weight off the shoulders of overworked misdo attorneys.
That just doesn't make sense. Any law student can write motions and research. How are they going to distinguish post-bar candidates when they hire volunteer attorneys (or for other offices, entry level attorneys). I'm guessing the interview must be intense/test for these skills? The only other CA offices I know that has post-bars doing research are Riverside & LA. Don't think it's that common, at least in CA.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:05 pm

Need some advice from you experts about the CA PD process. I'm starting a post-bar internship with a rather large PD's office next week. I've spent both summers there and have a pretty good resume geared at eventually landing a PD job. Unfortunately, my school didn't know a damn thing about the process, and I'm kinda lost too.

Is the idea that I just keep interning there until the bar results come out, keep my eyes open for new job postings from counties all over the state, and apply whenever any of them are hiring? I realize this is very basic stuff, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing out on obvious steps. Thanks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Need some advice from you experts about the CA PD process. I'm starting a post-bar internship with a rather large PD's office next week. I've spent both summers there and have a pretty good resume geared at eventually landing a PD job. Unfortunately, my school didn't know a damn thing about the process, and I'm kinda lost too.

Is the idea that I just keep interning there until the bar results come out, keep my eyes open for new job postings from counties all over the state, and apply whenever any of them are hiring? I realize this is very basic stuff, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing out on obvious steps. Thanks.
Depends on the office. Some offices only (or mostly) hire out of their post-bar pool and hire sometime soon after bar results come in. (SD, Alameda, Contra Costa, LA). Other offices don't hire but allow you to volunteer, depends on funding. Did you have 3 rounds of interviewing bf you got your post-bar spot? or did they just let you post-bar after one interview? btw, why didn't you ask this during your interview?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Need some advice from you experts about the CA PD process. I'm starting a post-bar internship with a rather large PD's office next week. I've spent both summers there and have a pretty good resume geared at eventually landing a PD job. Unfortunately, my school didn't know a damn thing about the process, and I'm kinda lost too.

Depends on the office. Some offices only (or mostly) hire out of their post-bar pool and hire sometime soon after bar results come in. (SD, Alameda, Contra Costa, LA). Other offices don't hire but allow you to volunteer, depends on funding. Did you have 3 rounds of interviewing bf you got your post-bar spot? or did they just let you post-bar after one interview? btw, why didn't you ask this during your interview?
Hmmm, good to know. So few offices will hire someone who was not part of their post-bar pool, or its just rare for them to do so? I didn't have an interview for my post bar spot. I emailed them in the early spring telling them I would love to come back after the bar. They responded with something like, "great. we'd be happy to have you back. send us a resume and cover letter in late spring." I did that, and received an email shortly thereafter stating, "thanks. see you in august."

From my two summers there, I do know that this particular office looks to hire from their post-bar pool, but will reach outside of it if there are exceptional candidates applying. No guarantees though.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:19 am

Not much else you can do bro

Try to get in on some trials and develop a good rep around the management
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:51 pm

Hey all:

I'm a recent tier 1 graduate who accepted a PD position at Legal Aid with zero help from my school's career center.

Re: EJW - absolutely go. I only got interviews with New Hampshire and Palm Beach, but the "table talk" portion is 100% what got me in the door at LAS. Also made great connections with Bronx, Harlem, Maryland, Miami, etc. My advice is to apply to as many interviews as you can before the deadline (make a spreadsheet), but also keep a list of all the others you're interested in talking to at the fair/applying cold afterwards. It also helps if you've submitted apps to these places before the fair, but also fine if you refer to EJW in your cover letter post-fair.

The listings will keep getting posted up until the deadline (I remember one job got posted like a day before the deadline). Apply to as many as your can, but don't be discouraged if you don't get an interview. Treat EJW as super important - get your stuff on resume paper, wear a good suit, suck up your pride and network like a champ. They give you a big list of all the employers and a map of the room - plot out your strategy and wait your turn to have a few minutes face-to-face with the employers. Tell em your deal, make sure they get your resume, and follow up with a thank you email. Remember most PDs have separate applications, and not getting a 1st round through the formal EJW system means little. I spent maybe 3 minutes talking with someone at LAS, followed up, and then got a 2nd round interview in NY (they treated table talk as my first round).

Good luck to you all! But highly highly recommend EJW/cold applications.

jlb815

New

Post by jlb815 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey all:

I'm a recent tier 1 graduate who accepted a PD position at Legal Aid with zero help from my school's career center.

Re: EJW - absolutely go. I only got interviews with New Hampshire and Palm Beach, but the "table talk" portion is 100% what got me in the door at LAS. Also made great connections with Bronx, Harlem, Maryland, Miami, etc. My advice is to apply to as many interviews as you can before the deadline (make a spreadsheet), but also keep a list of all the others you're interested in talking to at the fair/applying cold afterwards. It also helps if you've submitted apps to these places before the fair, but also fine if you refer to EJW in your cover letter post-fair.

The listings will keep getting posted up until the deadline (I remember one job got posted like a day before the deadline). Apply to as many as your can, but don't be discouraged if you don't get an interview. Treat EJW as super important - get your stuff on resume paper, wear a good suit, suck up your pride and network like a champ. They give you a big list of all the employers and a map of the room - plot out your strategy and wait your turn to have a few minutes face-to-face with the employers. Tell em your deal, make sure they get your resume, and follow up with a thank you email. Remember most PDs have separate applications, and not getting a 1st round through the formal EJW system means little. I spent maybe 3 minutes talking with someone at LAS, followed up, and then got a 2nd round interview in NY (they treated table talk as my first round).

oh, and also don't be discouraged if your EJW interviews suck. They really are "good experience" for the ones that you'll get by following up with more desirable offices. For example, NH really cares about grades, I had a shitty evidence grade, they were super brutal about it. I lived.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:25 pm

jlb815 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey all:

oh, and also don't be discouraged if your EJW interviews suck. They really are "good experience" for the ones that you'll get by following up with more desirable offices. For example, NH really cares about grades, I had a shitty evidence grade, they were super brutal about it. I lived.
This is interesting and encouraging information. Thanks anon!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:31 pm

Anyone have any info on SF PD screener interview for post-bars? Do most PD offices just give screeners to anyone w a decent PI resume?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:57 pm

This is a side but related topic: does anyone have any experience in applying to work in criminal appeals or post-conviction relief departments?

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have any info on SF PD screener interview for post-bars? Do most PD offices just give screeners to anyone w a decent PI resume?
What? Since when does SFPD do post-bar positions?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:21 pm

Tanicius wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have any info on SF PD screener interview for post-bars? Do most PD offices just give screeners to anyone w a decent PI resume?
Idk the history of sf pd but they are interviewing for post bar clerks. They are confined to the research unit but you'll be able to contend for a volunteer attorney position...Idk if it's worth it but SF pd is elite and the vap provides excellent training.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
Idk the history of sf pd but they are interviewing for post bar clerks. They are confined to the research unit but you'll be able to contend for a volunteer attorney position...Idk if it's worth it but SF pd is elite and the vap provides excellent training.

I'm sure it does. Have you been seeking fellowship funding? Working at SF PD would be great but I wouldn't be able to afford living on nothing for a year in the Bay Area.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:13 pm

Tanicius wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Tanicius wrote:

I'm sure it does. Have you been seeking fellowship funding? Working at SF PD would be great but I wouldn't be able to afford living on nothing for a year in the Bay Area.
Well that's the discouraging part of even interviewing w SF. The vap program is for 4 months but from my understanding ejw fellowships require you to work on a project in the office, so you'd be missing out on the misdo training. I don't understand why post-bars get paid but they have volunteer attorney cycles that run for 4 months. their starting salary is 98k, which is ridiculously high-why not cut that down 30k or something. I get col but still..idk. If anyone could demystify becoming a level one PD in SF, that would be nice.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Well that's the discouraging part of even interviewing w SF. The vap program is for 4 months but from my understanding ejw fellowships require you to work on a project in the office, so you'd be missing out on the misdo training. I don't understand why post-bars get paid but they have volunteer attorney cycles that run for 4 months. their starting salary is 98k, which is ridiculously high-why not cut that down 30k or something. I get col but still..idk. If anyone could demystify becoming a level one PD in SF, that would be nice.
My understanding is that SFPD doesn't really hire new people, like ever. They take laterals with several years of experience from other PD offices, or biglaw alums.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:55 pm

Is it just me, or is the EJW job screen only show 3 jobs for everyone else too?

golfer89

New

Post by golfer89 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:59 pm

Yeah only 3 jobs showing up for me as well.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:07 pm

golfer89 wrote:Yeah only 3 jobs showing up for me as well.

They are filling me with confidence right now.

anjmissy

Bronze

Post by anjmissy » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:01 pm

They had about 40 jobs up on ejw under the guest account, but now its only showing 3. Idk if this is just for the guest account or all accounts.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:54 am

My boss from this summer is letting me write my own letter of rec. Cool...but how do I even go about this?

What things should I say that would be green lights instead of red flags?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:58 am

What exactly is a statement of interest? In contrast to a cover letter? Brooklyn DA wants a SoI as well as a cover letter, and their app opens in the next few days. Anyone have advice?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Void

Silver

Post by Void » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What exactly is a statement of interest? In contrast to a cover letter? Brooklyn DA wants a SoI as well as a cover letter, and their app opens in the next few days. Anyone have advice?
My guess is that a statement of interest is a brief "Why I want to be a prosecutor" thing, whereas a cover letter is (obviously) more "I am interested in the job. Here's a brief thing about my experience that makes me extra cool. Please find my resume enclosed."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:13 pm

Void wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What exactly is a statement of interest? In contrast to a cover letter? Brooklyn DA wants a SoI as well as a cover letter, and their app opens in the next few days. Anyone have advice?
My guess is that a statement of interest is a brief "Why I want to be a prosecutor" thing, whereas a cover letter is (obviously) more "I am interested in the job. Here's a brief thing about my experience that makes me extra cool. Please find my resume enclosed."
Thanks for replying. How long should it be? It seems like 1 pg double-spaced is too short, but 1 pg single-spaced seems too long.

Void

Silver

Post by Void » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Void wrote:
Thanks for replying. How long should it be? It seems like 1 pg double-spaced is too short, but 1 pg single-spaced seems too long.
I have no idea- I don't even know whether I'm write about my last post. Just guessing. That said, I imagine a large paragraph or two medium paragraphs would be fine. It's probably just extra fodder for potential interview topics.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:17 pm

Void wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Void wrote:
I have no idea- I don't even know whether I'm write about my last post. Just guessing. That said, I imagine a large paragraph or two medium paragraphs would be fine. It's probably just extra fodder for potential interview topics.
Fair enough. I mean honestly your guess is as good as mine, and I've only found a few other threads about this. Maybe I'll just try to find someone to email.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”