How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:42 pm

Is it possible to cancel EJW interviews now? I don't see the cancel button - maybe it's just me? Do I have to email EJW/the employer?

More importantly, if I cancel, will those employers forever hate me?

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it possible to cancel EJW interviews now? I don't see the cancel button - maybe it's just me? Do I have to email EJW/the employer?

I don't know the answer to the first questions, but as to the bolded: I would guess it depended on why you were canceling. If you just didn't want to do it, that's gonna be a black mark. But if you can't afford it or you had a relative die and you need to go to the funeral or something, I'm sure they'd understand and wouldn't hold it against you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:42 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is it possible to cancel EJW interviews now? I don't see the cancel button - maybe it's just me? Do I have to email EJW/the employer?

I don't know the answer to the first questions, but as to the bolded: I would guess it depended on why you were canceling. If you just didn't want to do it, that's gonna be a black mark. But if you can't afford it or you had a relative die and you need to go to the funeral or something, I'm sure they'd understand and wouldn't hold it against you.
I was offered a 2L summer position with a DA/PD. I don't want to waste an interviewer's time, but if canceling this late in the game will burn bridges, I don't want that either :)

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

I was offered a 2L summer position with a DA/PD. I don't want to waste an interviewer's time, but if canceling this late in the game will burn bridges, I don't want that either :)

If you've accepted another job already tell them so but explain you'd love to interview again next year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:19 pm

Anyone know if Legal Aid New York is OK with a self-prepared unofficial transcript? I know it was OK for EJW bidding but what about if you direct apply? I'd love to avoid having to get one and then scan it to include it in the app PDF.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know if Legal Aid New York is OK with a self-prepared unofficial transcript? I know it was OK for EJW bidding but what about if you direct apply? I'd love to avoid having to get one and then scan it to include it in the app PDF.
If they want an official transcript they'd almost certainly be explicit about it
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know if Legal Aid New York is OK with a self-prepared unofficial transcript? I know it was OK for EJW bidding but what about if you direct apply? I'd love to avoid having to get one and then scan it to include it in the app PDF.
I got an interview with my non-official transcript. They only require an official one if you get an offer.
Any advice on LAS interview process

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:55 pm

Just got an email from career services saying that EJW told her that all of the employers will be at the table talks. I'm not sure if that means they will be at both sessions. I emailed EJW myself a few days ago but haven't heard back.

Edited to let you guys know that I heard from EJW and employers that come for the day are required to table talk so its a matter of looking at the schedule and seeing which employers are there on which days.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:00 pm

FlanAl wrote:Just got an email from career services saying that EJW told her that all of the employers will be at the table talks. I'm not sure if that means they will be at both sessions. I emailed EJW myself a few days ago but haven't heard back.

Edited to let you guys know that I heard from EJW and employers that come for the day are required to table talk so its a matter of looking at the schedule and seeing which employers are there on which days.

Thanks. I'll need to print that schedule when I print my resumes so I can review on plane and make a plan.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

boarder78

New

Post by boarder78 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:31 am

I'm on the "Eligible List" for the San Diego DA's office. Does anyone have any info about this? They gave me a score (71) based on my application. I've looked through their HR page and have looked everywhere for info. Any help would be appreciated.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:14 pm

Does legal aid read the questionnaire? I'm finishing up the questionnaire part of the application and I feel like a lot of what I'm writing is covered in my cover letter. Edited to say that I discuss the same life experience in the cover letter as in the questionnaire but the questionnaire is more about how it will help being a pd and cover letter is more about why it made me want to be a pd. any thoughts on this strategy would be appreciated.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:08 pm

Opinions on doing an full-time off campus PD externship for my 2L spring versus my 3L fall?

I will be doing the PD clinic at my school 3L, but I could do it either fall or spring. Career services recommended doing the externshp 2L spring, so that I'd have more on my resume for 3L fall hiring. I'm skeptical, since I'd have a 3L practitioner's cert for my 3L and would probably be able to get a better externship with that. The extern program is new at my school (bottom half of t14), and the career services people I'm talking too don't have a ton of knowledge about PD hiring, so I'm not sure how much to trust their advice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Opinions on doing an full-time off campus PD externship for my 2L spring versus my 3L fall?

I will be doing the PD clinic at my school 3L, but I could do it either fall or spring. Career services recommended doing the externshp 2L spring, so that I'd have more on my resume for 3L fall hiring. I'm skeptical, since I'd have a 3L practitioner's cert for my 3L and would probably be able to get a better externship with that. The extern program is new at my school (bottom half of t14), and the career services people I'm talking too don't have a ton of knowledge about PD hiring, so I'm not sure how much to trust their advice.

What will you be doing at the 2L externship? Why not do the externship 2L and then clinic 3L? The more experience, the better.

Also, they are right about having more on your resume for 3L fall hiring. You will probably start applying for jobs in August and already having had a full time externship is going to look better than just writing in your cover letter that you have 3L clinic coming up.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

What will you be doing at the 2L externship? Why not do the externship 2L and then clinic 3L? The more experience, the better.

Also, they are right about having more on your resume for 3L fall hiring. You will probably start applying for jobs in August and already having had a full time externship is going to look better than just writing in your cover letter that you have 3L clinic coming up.
2L externship is just whatever I can get, I have to find it myself, in whatever office I can find that will take me. It shouldn't be hard to find someone for either 2L spring or 3L fall to accept my free labor, but if I do it 2L spring, I won't be eligible to do as much as I would as a 2L summer or 3L, since most offices that I've looked into require 3L standing for student practitioner status. Apparently CA allows 2Ls to do this though.

Obviously more experience is better, but I'll be doing the clinic regardless of the externship, since it's only one semester. The question is whether the greater responsibilities (if any) I'd get to handle as a 3L would make it worthwhile.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:54 pm

Any advice on New Jersey PD interview second round? How should I structure my closing?

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:11 pm

To the Anon questioning 2L externship - have something on your resume for 3L hiring.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:35 pm

spleenworship wrote:To the Anon questioning 2L externship - have something on your resume for 3L hiring.
Yeah, of course. I did 1L winter and will be doing my 2L summer with different PD offices.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:32 pm

Does anyone have any information on the public defender's hiring procedure in San Diego, Orange, or LA Counties? Any tips?

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:49 pm

pretty sure orange just has an unpaid post-bar clerkship and then hires people who are already barred when they have a need.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any information on the public defender's hiring procedure in San Diego, Orange, or LA Counties? Any tips?
LA is unpaid post-bar internship, but the office hires a lot of its post-bars when they are licensed

no guarantees of course

San Diego has a paid post-bar program, and I'm pretty sure they hire them when they are licensed
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:20 pm

Getting a little nervous about EJW. Anyone else?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JDCA2012

New

Post by JDCA2012 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:54 am

Borhas wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any information on the public defender's hiring procedure in San Diego, Orange, or LA Counties? Any tips?
LA is unpaid post-bar internship, but the office hires a lot of its post-bars when they are licensed

no guarantees of course

San Diego has a paid post-bar program, and I'm pretty sure they hire them when they are licensed
LA - this is contrary to what I've heard, especially the situation now.
SD - they do hire out of it sometimes, but not guaranteed - example, they are interviewing for DDA I right now - and there is NO way they are hiring ALL of their post bars AND hiring outside DDA I's.
boarder78 wrote:I'm on the "Eligible List" for the San Diego DA's office. Does anyone have any info about this? They gave me a score (71) based on my application. I've looked through their HR page and have looked everywhere for info. Any help would be appreciated.
I believe they have already extended interview invitations to the people they wanted to come in to interview. I know a guy (2013 grad, I don't know if you were applying for Post Bar or DDA1) that got his score, etc, and interviewed there last week.

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:31 am

JDCA2012 wrote:
Borhas wrote:

no guarantees of course

SD - they do hire out of it sometimes, but not guaranteed - example, they are interviewing for DDA I right now - and there is NO way they are hiring ALL of their post bars AND hiring outside DDA I's.
I have friends doing the post-bar for LA PD right now. As of now, they said you will only get hired if someone quits or retires. How many PDs will quit in a 3 month period? Not many, I presume.
I know SD PD has an official post-bar program that hires many of its post-bars.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:49 am

JDCA2012 wrote:
Borhas wrote:

no guarantees of course

boarder78 wrote:I'm on the "Eligible List" for the San Diego DA's office. Does anyone have any info about this? They gave me a score (71) based on my application. I've looked through their HR page and have looked everywhere for info. Any help would be appreciated.
I believe they have already extended interview invitations to the people they wanted to come in to interview. I know a guy (2013 grad, I don't know if you were applying for Post Bar or DDA1) that got his score, etc, and interviewed there last week.
you seem to have better info than I do
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:26 am

JDCA2012 wrote:
Borhas wrote:

no guarantees of course

Not sure whats going on here, is your info regarding the San Diego DA, PD or both?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”