How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BlueLotus

Gold

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Post by BlueLotus » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:55 pm

"BlueLotus' Neurotic Waiting Thread."[/quote]
Brave use of anon.[/quote]

LOL, I am nervous about the flood of dings that awaits me, as I applied to every PD's office and Legal Aid office coming to EJW!

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:01 pm

Yea above anon don't be a pussy.

BlueLotus, I know that you're nervous about the job hunt but chill out a bit. You ask about multiple differnt organizations every day in multiple threads. It's great to get info on places, but land interviews first and then worry about going into details. You're still early in the process and most public interest employers don't hire until late 3L or even after the bar. So just relax a bit.

samcro_op

Silver

Post by samcro_op » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:03 pm

BlueLotus wrote:"BlueLotus' Neurotic Waiting Thread."
Brave use of anon.[/quote]

LOL, I am nervous about the flood of dings that awaits me, as I applied to every PD's office and Legal Aid office coming to EJW![/quote]

We know... I am not trying to be mean and I am not the anon who said things earlier today but because most of us are tagged into the 3L PD apps, EJW, this thread and the Vale (and besides those not much else) it is a bit overwhelming. I know this is stressful and I'm not trying to be a dick but I can see where anon is coming from.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:53 am

Anyone know if there is a decent benefit to graduating early as far as hiring goes? I am a PD gunner but also interested in any related PI jobs as well.

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know if there is a decent benefit to graduating early as far as hiring goes? I am a PD gunner but also interested in any related PI jobs as well.
I do not know of any hiring benefits. Many PI jobs schedule their annual new hiring to begin after the July bar exam. There are a couple of openings here and there through out the year. So you may grab something. AND it may give you a leg up in fall hiring if you passed the February bar and are competing against July bar takers with no results.
But generally, no it won't help. Spending a semester interning/clerking at a place that will be hiring in the Fall will help a lot more than graduating early.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know if there is a decent benefit to graduating early as far as hiring goes? I am a PD gunner but also interested in any related PI jobs as well.
I graduated a semester early, and I'm pretty sure that's why I got offered by the Colorado PD. I interviewed at the EJW conference and they offered me a job in November, so that I would have plenty of time to prepare for the February bar. I didn't have a stellar resume or interview, but I was obviously available able to start working months earlier than other applicants. And when you are dealing with a large statewide agency that has openings pop up year-round, that helps.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:14 pm

have an 2L summer offer with brooklyn DA which i hear has a good shot of turning into full time employment. Recently got a USAO offer in the state im studying in. Like brooklyn and new york. What would you guys recommend doing. Goal is to eventually be an AUSA, but I still need that first permanent job

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:22 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Take the summer gig with Brooklyn and do a school-year internship with the USAO.
I should have clarified, USAO is still like 3 hours away from my school. Going to see if i can split summer but otherwise I think you are right about taking brooklyn

iShotFirst

Bronze

Post by iShotFirst » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
I graduated a semester early, and I'm pretty sure that's why I got offered by the Colorado PD. I interviewed at the EJW conference and they offered me a job in November, so that I would have plenty of time to prepare for the February bar. I didn't have a stellar resume or interview, but I was obviously available able to start working months earlier than other applicants. And when you are dealing with a large statewide agency that has openings pop up year-round, that helps.
So did you start working earlier as well? I'm wondering how often spots open up there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:09 pm

How did you guys apply to Legal Aid Society criminal defense practice? There is an email address on the hiring site, but my email didn't go through for some reason.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Take the summer gig with Brooklyn and do a school-year internship with the USAO.
I should have clarified, USAO is still like 3 hours away from my school. Going to see if i can split summer but otherwise I think you are right about taking brooklyn
Work at the local district attorney's office. You'll get way more experience. being an intern at a USAO won't do much for you if you eventually want a full time job there (which will take at least five years as a state prosecutor).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:have an 2L summer offer with brooklyn DA which i hear has a good shot of turning into full time employment. Recently got a USAO offer in the state im studying in. Like brooklyn and new york. What would you guys recommend doing. Goal is to eventually be an AUSA, but I still need that first permanent job
Congrats on both your offers. For Brooklyn, did you do two interviews or one? They interviewed at my school a few weeks ago and the interviewer didn't know if a second interview is required. How long did it take you to hear from them?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:57 pm

Anyone intern/work for the Alameda PD office? I have an interview soon (2L) and would like information I can bring up during the interview as well as input on how their summer program works. Obviously I still need to land the positions but I have a lot of interviews and good programs and might need to make tough decisions.

Also does anyone know how the timelines usually work at these offices? I am worried I will need to make a decision before EJW offers come out.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone intern/work for the Alameda PD office? I have an interview soon (2L) and would like information I can bring up during the interview as well as input on how their summer program works. Obviously I still need to land the positions but I have a lot of interviews and good programs and might need to make tough decisions.

Also does anyone know how the timelines usually work at these offices? I am worried I will need to make a decision before EJW offers come out.
I am also interested in the answer to OPs questions. I am in a similar boat.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:52 pm

Are tattoos/non-ear piercings OK for PD/Legal Aid?

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:24 pm

BlueLotus wrote:Are tattoos/non-ear piercings OK for PD/Legal Aid?
They're never *ok* in any professional environment, but if you can keep them hidden that's fine. This applies in general.
Youre really overthinking things. Just relax.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:53 pm

gdane wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:Are tattoos/non-ear piercings OK for PD/Legal Aid?
They're never *ok* in any professional environment, but if you can keep them hidden that's fine. This applies in general.
Yeah, I don't think this is true for PD offices, especially those in more progressive areas. I've seen several attorneys with visible wrist or lower arm tattoos, and even one with a couple of neck tattoos.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:22 pm

This isn't an argument dude. Sure you'll find one ex cholo PD that might have visible tattoos, but it's still something that you don't want to go overboard with. keep them hidden as best as you can during the interviewing process.

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:27 pm

gdane wrote:This isn't an argument dude. Sure you'll find one ex cholo PD that might have visible tattoos, but it's still something that you don't want to go overboard with. keep them hidden as best as you can during the interviewing process.
I wouldn't want to go overboard, because personally I wouldn't get any tattoos at all. But you said they're not okay in *any* context, when specifically asked about DA and PD offices. Visible tattoos just don't seem to be a big deal, I've seen them in more than one PD office. They seem to be okay in that context, though I imagine it varies by region.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:35 pm

Would PD gunners on here recommend attending the PATH conference?

CaptainLeela

Platinum

Welcome to TLS

Post by CaptainLeela » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:42 pm

Welcome to TLS

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

samcro_op

Silver

Post by samcro_op » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:49 pm

CaptainLeela wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:Would PD gunners on here recommend attending the PATH conference?
It was fantastic this year. 100% recommend
I'm really upset that my school didn't promote this more. They really suck when it comes to PI stuff. I am a bit shocked but excited they gave me 300$ to go to EJW.

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:57 pm

I'm waiting for bar results and doing the post-bar intern thing at a DA's office. It's awesome and I'm getting great experience but it looks like they kind of kick people out after results. Maaaybe one out of the post-bar interns will get hired.

I can't really apply anywhere until I (hopefully) am licensed. What can I be doing now to make myself a better candidate for prosecutor jobs in a relatively small area (roughly 5 counties to work with?

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:11 am

Just keep working and make connections. Talk to people. Let them know that you want a job. Either they can help you get a job where you are now or they can put in a good word for you elsewhere.

ash0117

Bronze

Post by ash0117 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:55 am

BlueLotus wrote:Would PD gunners on here recommend attending the PATH conference?
I would recommend it to anyone looking to do PD work. The interview tips and general hiring suggestions were invaluable to me. I also learned more about what I was looking for in an office. The mock hypos were good and I was able to ask specific questions to specific people in offices I liked. I thought it was great.

I believe its only held every 2 years, so unless you're a 1L I don't think you'll need it by the time it comes around again. By 2016, current 2Ls and 3Ls will have been through interviews and know the drill (not to mention hoepfully have jobs).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”