How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:has anyone heard about first interviews with contra costa for a post bar position? apparently they were supposed to start notifying us in november...
They said they were getting back to former summer interns by early November with a callback interview, but nothing yet. Their head public defender does those interviews, and she has been in a lot of conferences this month so she had to delay the interviews.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:has anyone heard about first interviews with contra costa for a post bar position? apparently they were supposed to start notifying us in november...
They said they were getting back to former summer interns by early November with a callback interview, but nothing yet. Their head public defender does those interviews, and she has been in a lot of conferences this month so she had to delay the interviews.
lol should have known it was about contra costa PD and not DA

ignore my above post

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:19 pm

I got a polite rejection via snail mail from Miami PD today after table talking with them at EJW. Just FYI.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

No joke, got an email from Robin in the past hour! They could be watching this very thread! :shock:

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got a polite rejection via snail mail from Miami PD today after table talking with them at EJW. Just FYI.
Sorry bro/sista.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got a polite rejection via snail mail from Miami PD today after table talking with them at EJW. Just FYI.
Same. And I had a scheduled interview, not table talk. I'm a 3L. I've been rejected now by two of the three PD offices I had pre-select interviews with (the other was NH). Nothing at all from the third or from the ones I table talked with.

Too bad. The Miami interview was my favorite - they really grill you and it's pretty invigorating. Oh well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Same. And I had a scheduled interview, not table talk. I'm a 3L. I've been rejected now by two of the three PD offices I had pre-select interviews with (the other was NH). Nothing at all from the third or from the ones I table talked with.

Too bad. The Miami interview was my favorite - they really grill you and it's pretty invigorating. Oh well.
Can you elaborate on the grilling? I know you just got rejected and that blows, but I've got a follow up interview with them coming up and it would really really help me.

Good luck with your remaining interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:01 pm

Still haven't heard anything from Miami and I had a scheduled interview too. Keep checking my mail everyday waiting for the inevitable rejection...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Can you elaborate on the grilling? I know you just got rejected and that blows, but I've got a follow up interview with them coming up and it would really really help me.

Sure. This was a first-round, so if you already had that, then maybe it's not new to you. They were basically trying to get to whether I would tell a jury that my client was innocent even if ... and then ran through a bunch of scenarios. They were basically trying to figure out (I think) how hard you would fight while still staying within the ethical lines (do you have actual knowledge of x, y, z). They challenge your answers, and the trick is to know whether they disagree or whether they're trying to figure out if you're wishy washy. I thought I did OK, but apparently not. In any case, good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:40 am

so ive heard from the grapevine that mecklenburg pd office hires all of their interns.is this true?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
FlanAl wrote:Decided to get rid of that post because I submitted the app and don't want to second guess myself now haha.

BUT has anyone started emailing like continued interest emails to people? I applied to Bronx about a month ago and haven't heard a thing and was kind of thinking about reminding them of my existence. Also, how long do you think we should wait before totally showing our cards and telling offices that we will work there for free for like 6 months if they'll let us.
Many offices don't start interviewing seriously until the new year. I'd try to figure out through your career services office or alumni when these offices do their hiring so you're not overwhelming them with messages before then.

Re: Bronx Defenders, I've been told they don't start interviewing 3Ls until late November. I know many people who have interned there and applied as 3Ls, yet none have heard about interviews yet. Since Bronx prefers former interns, the fact that none of those people have heard anything may be a decent indication that they're not yet inviting people to interview.
I don't think that's true-- I've never interned there and they asked to interview me a month ago, just haven't scheduled it yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Sure. This was a first-round, so if you already had that, then maybe it's not new to you. They were basically trying to get to whether I would tell a jury that my client was innocent even if ... and then ran through a bunch of scenarios. They were basically trying to figure out (I think) how hard you would fight while still staying within the ethical lines (do you have actual knowledge of x, y, z). They challenge your answers, and the trick is to know whether they disagree or whether they're trying to figure out if you're wishy washy. I thought I did OK, but apparently not. In any case, good luck!

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
FlanAl wrote:Decided to get rid of that post because I submitted the app and don't want to second guess myself now haha.

BUT has anyone started emailing like continued interest emails to people? I applied to Bronx about a month ago and haven't heard a thing and was kind of thinking about reminding them of my existence. Also, how long do you think we should wait before totally showing our cards and telling offices that we will work there for free for like 6 months if they'll let us.
Many offices don't start interviewing seriously until the new year. I'd try to figure out through your career services office or alumni when these offices do their hiring so you're not overwhelming them with messages before then.

Re: Bronx Defenders, I've been told they don't start interviewing 3Ls until late November. I know many people who have interned there and applied as 3Ls, yet none have heard about interviews yet. Since Bronx prefers former interns, the fact that none of those people have heard anything may be a decent indication that they're not yet inviting people to interview.
I don't think that's true-- I've never interned there and they asked to interview me a month ago, just haven't scheduled it yet.
He's talking about second round interviews as they are just starting first rounds and beginning some second rounds. They do prefer former interns

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

So when answering these ethical questions what's the best way to proceed? Stick to your guns or go with what they say? I had an interview that was weird where they told me if they disagreed with me they wanted me to change my answer and there was no trick questions

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Placed on Eligible List for San diego PD 1 with a score of 85...
Hopeless? Thoughts?
Me too. Same score for PD. I got 78 for the DA position which included points for military service.
I called and asked about the point system and looked on the web site. There is no standard of reference. I guess more points is better than less points but I don't know it if it on a scale of 1 - 100 or 1 to 1000. It is just a number. I don't know why I got a higher score for PD, when I used the exact same application and all my experience is prosecuting. Maybe it just depends on what the HR person had for breakfast that morning.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:07 pm

Has anyone heard back from Brooklyn who interviewed at EJW?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:51 pm

MURPH wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Placed on Eligible List for San diego PD 1 with a score of 85...
Hopeless? Thoughts?
Me too. Same score for PD. I got 78 for the DA position which included points for military service.
I called and asked about the point system and looked on the web site. There is no standard of reference. I guess more points is better than less points but I don't know it if it on a scale of 1 - 100 or 1 to 1000. It is just a number. I don't know why I got a higher score for PD, when I used the exact same application and all my experience is prosecuting. Maybe it just depends on what the HR person had for breakfast that morning.
70-100 is passing. I got a 71 on the DA app with more experience leaning towards prosecuting too. No extra points though or I might have got into the PD.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:30 pm

Got an interview coming up with a DAs office and just realized an old professor of mine is now the main dean at a law school in the area. I'm assuming he interacts with them and might have some pull. Should I reach out to the dean and see if he would be willing to put in a good word for me?

im leaning yes

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got an interview coming up with a DAs office and just realized an old professor of mine is now the main dean at a law school in the area. I'm assuming he interacts with them and might have some pull. Should I reach out to the dean and see if he would be willing to put in a good word for me?

im leaning yes
Definitely yes. What can it hurt? I reached out to an old prof who's a DA too…got an LOR I wasn't expecting.

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got an interview coming up with a DAs office and just realized an old professor of mine is now the main dean at a law school in the area. I'm assuming he interacts with them and might have some pull. Should I reach out to the dean and see if he would be willing to put in a good word for me?

im leaning yes
For sure. Especially if the office is not a very big one. As wrong as it may be, a DA's office is a public office and people with clout are usually owed some favors. Make the call.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:26 pm

deadpanic wrote:

im leaning yes
For sure. Especially if the office is not a very big one. As wrong as it may be, a DA's office is a public office and people with clout are usually owed some favors. Make the call.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:so ive heard from the grapevine that mecklenburg pd office hires all of their interns.is this true?
My understanding is that they have a preference for former interns, as most offices likely do. I have a friend who interned there as a 2L and was courted pretty aggressively for a post-grad job. This person would be an excellent candidate for any PD job though, so I doubt that holds true for all interns there.

Bear in mind also that that office doesn't ever hire a ton of new lawyers. I think they have around 25 interns each year but maybe only hire three to five new attorneys on average, so even if every new attorney was an intern from the previous year--unlikely--you're still not guaranteed a position by any means.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:so ive heard from the grapevine that mecklenburg pd office hires all of their interns.is this true?
My understanding is that they have a preference for former interns, as most offices likely do. I have a friend who interned there as a 2L and was courted pretty aggressively for a post-grad job. This person would be an excellent candidate for any PD job though, so I doubt that holds true for all interns there.

Bear in mind also that that office doesn't ever hire a ton of new lawyers. I think they have around 25 interns each year but maybe only hire three to five new attorneys on average, so even if every new attorney was an intern from the previous year--unlikely--you're still not guaranteed a position by any means.

Then again, I was clearly told that one person from interviews and one from table talk at EJW would almost certainly get hired.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Then again, I was clearly told that one person from interviews and one from table talk at EJW would almost certainly get hired.
I'm the anon who responded to the original question. Do you mean that Mecklenburg told those people on the spot or in follow-up communications that they're likely to get hired for post-grad jobs? I interviewed at EJW and got the impression that their hiring was kind of up in the air, but are they already suggesting to people that they may have a job if the office is in a position to hire?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:30 am

Anonymous User wrote: I'm the anon who responded to the original question. Do you mean that Mecklenburg told those people on the spot or in follow-up communications that they're likely to get hired for post-grad jobs? I interviewed at EJW and got the impression that their hiring was kind of up in the air, but are they already suggesting to people that they may have a job if the office is in a position to hire?
I'm the anon you are asking this question of. I did table talk. At table talk he told us he always hires one from the interviews and tries to find the budget to hire another from the table talks.

He obviously isn't from Charlotte (I'm sure you noticed after the first or second "fucking" with a NYC accent), and I think he likes to get motivated outsiders in to shake shit up.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”