How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Mickfromgm

Bronze

Re: How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?

Post by Mickfromgm » Wed May 17, 2017 4:49 pm

FlanAl wrote:Apparently today is the first ever national public defender day. some good stuff under #PublicDefenderDay.
Great, another holiday made up by Hallmark and the Corporate America. . . . ;) Kudos to all PD's out there. . . . I might be calling you one day.

LesterFreamon

New

Post by LesterFreamon » Wed May 17, 2017 7:19 pm

Hi everyone, super informative thread. Thanks for all the information.

I just finished 1L and am gunning for a prosecutor job in a major city (NY preferably). For those who have gone this route: outside of getting as much experience in a DA office during law school as possible/moot court etc, is there an activity or nonobvious thing that you feel makes someone a stronger candidate?

I'm shooting for some competitive offices, so I'm just wondering if y'all have any input on what DA officers love on a resume.

Thanks!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 17, 2017 8:32 pm

LesterFreamon wrote:Hi everyone, super informative thread. Thanks for all the information.

I just finished 1L and am gunning for a prosecutor job in a major city (NY preferably). For those who have gone this route: outside of getting as much experience in a DA office during law school as possible/moot court etc, is there an activity or nonobvious thing that you feel makes someone a stronger candidate?

I'm shooting for some competitive offices, so I'm just wondering if y'all have any input on what DA officers love on a resume.

Thanks!!
Former NY Ada who conducted OCI interviews:
Evidence, crim. pro, trial ad, mock trial, moot court.
Any group that had a criminal law element (one guy I interviewed was in a group for law students who want to be prosecutors)
Best bet is internship in the office you want to work at and do such an amazing job and be well liked because those references carry the most weight.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:28 pm

Can I be a prosecutor with a criminal record of my own?

I'm a rising 2L in the top 15% at a lower-half of T1 school in the western US. I've spent this summer as an extern for a federal district judge. Prior to law school I was an Army officer for 5 years. My goal is to become a Prosecutor and on on paper I feel like I'm a pretty strong candidate. However, one thing scares the hell out of me - the inevitable criminal background check.

A little over 3 years ago now I was being arrested for public intoxication when I spit on the arresting officer. When the dust settled, I wound up with the PI charge plus misdemeanor assault that I did probation time for.

I feel like there's a lot that I can say about the residual effects of my combat experience combined with alcohol abuse, both of which are issues I've addressed over the past few years. But how is that going to play with the DA?

Also, should I just be upfront about this? I had a long discussion about my record with the judge I'm externing for after my background check came back and he indicated that he would have strongly preferred that I disclose it beforehand.

I know I've got an uphill battle with both the bar C&F and the prosecutor's office itself, and this isn't isn't exactly a fun topic to always have to explain, but I'm willing to do that if it leads me to accomplishing my goal. I just want to see if that goal is attainable or if I'm just spinning my wheels. Would also appreciate any advice on the best way to approach it as far as disclosure/non-disclosure. Thanks!

Raiden

Bronze

Post by Raiden » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can I be a prosecutor with a criminal record of my own?

I'm a rising 2L in the top 15% at a lower-half of T1 school in the western US. I've spent this summer as an extern for a federal district judge. Prior to law school I was an Army officer for 5 years. My goal is to become a Prosecutor and on on paper I feel like I'm a pretty strong candidate. However, one thing scares the hell out of me - the inevitable criminal background check.

A little over 3 years ago now I was being arrested for public intoxication when I spit on the arresting officer. When the dust settled, I wound up with the PI charge plus misdemeanor assault that I did probation time for.

I feel like there's a lot that I can say about the residual effects of my combat experience combined with alcohol abuse, both of which are issues I've addressed over the past few years. But how is that going to play with the DA?

Also, should I just be upfront about this? I had a long discussion about my record with the judge I'm externing for after my background check came back and he indicated that he would have strongly preferred that I disclose it beforehand.

I know I've got an uphill battle with both the bar C&F and the prosecutor's office itself, and this isn't isn't exactly a fun topic to always have to explain, but I'm willing to do that if it leads me to accomplishing my goal. I just want to see if that goal is attainable or if I'm just spinning my wheels. Would also appreciate any advice on the best way to approach it as far as disclosure/non-disclosure. Thanks!
I am a prosecutor, and I think you should disclose. How your record will be received really depends on the DA and their policy, it can vary. But it's safe to say that any DA's office would prefer you'd be the first one to tell them rather than them finding out on your RAP sheet. And as a misdo prosecutor, I can tell you that a PI charge isn't a big deal. Sure, you really shouldn't have spit on the cop, but if you can explain the circumstances, what led up to that point and what you've done to address it (e.g. don't drink any more, completed various AA classes, volunteer, etc.) then I think you could turn this weakness into a strength in showing your appreciation for justice being not only for victims but for defendant's in addressing their issues.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Brickster

New

Post by Brickster » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:33 pm

Raiden wrote:

I am a prosecutor, and I think you should disclose. How your record will be received really depends on the DA and their policy, it can vary. But it's safe to say that any DA's office would prefer you'd be the first one to tell them rather than them finding out on your RAP sheet. And as a misdo prosecutor, I can tell you that a PI charge isn't a big deal. Sure, you really shouldn't have spit on the cop, but if you can explain the circumstances, what led up to that point and what you've done to address it (e.g. don't drink any more, completed various AA classes, volunteer, etc.) then I think you could turn this weakness into a strength in showing your appreciation for justice being not only for victims but for defendant's in addressing their issues.
I agree with above. I would also start to apply to offices to intern for this upcoming semester following the above advice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:58 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:58 pm

Writing sample question: I wrote a memo on a possible evidentiary issue for a case but it wasn't argumentative/persuasive. I turned it into a fake motion in limine. It's all my original writing, but I made up some facts so I could turn all my research into a motion. Is that weird to use/do? I think it's a fairly strong sample, 6-7 pages of argument

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:14 pm

Speaking as a prosecutor, I'd laugh if I heard an applicant say he spat on a police officer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dovlet

New

Post by dovlet » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:00 pm

Hi Anonymous,
Most governmental and state jobs require 3 reference letters. What if I can provide reference? From whom would you recommend to get these references?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:00 pm

Whoever knows you best and will say the best things about you. Bonus points if that person is in criminal law (since this is the PD/prosecutor thread) and/or knows people in the office where you're applying. But positive and specific is always going to be better than someone connected who can't say much about you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:57 pm

3L here who wants to be a prosecutor after graduation. Other than the big office (NYC, Chicago, Miami) should I be sending my materials to any office I'm interested in? Or should I wait until after the new year and start applying then?

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:3L here who wants to be a prosecutor after graduation. Other than the big office (NYC, Chicago, Miami) should I be sending my materials to any office I'm interested in? Or should I wait until after the new year and start applying then?
If your application is compelling, the worst case scenario is "thanks for applying, but we're not hiring unlicensed attorneys. Contact us again when you've passed the bar" and your resume will go in a file.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

iShotFirst

Bronze

Post by iShotFirst » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:3L here who wants to be a prosecutor after graduation. Other than the big office (NYC, Chicago, Miami) should I be sending my materials to any office I'm interested in? Or should I wait until after the new year and start applying then?
There are plenty of offices outside of the "big offices" that interview and hire people before their bar results are in.

For example Ft Lauderdale and West Palm Beach. Not offices you would think of as "big offices" but they still do, so Im sure there are lots of offices in different states that also hire or interview pre-bar.

Carrie.B.Homeland

New

Post by Carrie.B.Homeland » Thu May 17, 2018 7:40 pm

Anyone still in the LA PD interview process? Heard that they were conducting second level interviews for LA, wanted to verify this. Has anyone been contacted for a third interview? Thanks.

marshy21

New

Post by marshy21 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:09 am

just started my 2L year, hoping to intern with the Cook County PD next summer. any tips on when the best time to apply for an internship with them would be?

bugsy33

Bronze

Post by bugsy33 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:10 pm

Hiring entry level at office in rural Texas. PM for details. Great benefits, loan repayment, and caseload controls. Affordable cost of living.

PM me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:10 pm

marshy21 wrote:just started my 2L year, hoping to intern with the Cook County PD next summer. any tips on when the best time to apply for an internship with them would be?
If the website gives a deadline, apply well before it. If there is no date, apply early anyway. A lot of the big offices do their hiring early.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”