What do summer associates work on in securities?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What do summer associates work on in securities?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 12, 2011 1:32 am

I am rotating through Securities, but have not taken Sec Reg, so I am kind of scared. Any input or advice?

Also, what upper div classes apply to Securities besides Sec Reg? Does Sales/Secured Transactions? (I took this course.) If not, how can I prepare for the rotation?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu May 12, 2011 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PKSebben

Re: What do summer associates work on in securities?

Postby PKSebben » Thu May 12, 2011 1:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am rotating through Securities, but have not taken Sec Reg, so I am kind of scared. Any input or advice?

Here's your day-to-day: Doc review. Research the Securities Act. Doc Review. Research the Securities Exchange Act. Doc Review. Research Sarbanes–Oxley Act. Enjoy!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 12, 2011 1:37 am

PKSebben wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am rotating through Securities, but have not taken Sec Reg, so I am kind of scared. Any input or advice?

Here's your day-to-day: Doc review. Research the Securities Act. Doc Review. Research the Securities Exchange Act. Doc Review. Research Sarbanes–Oxley Act. Enjoy!

So nothing too different from general corporate work then; and apparently, I don't have to know anything beforehand either??

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Thu May 12, 2011 1:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
PKSebben wrote:

So nothing too different from general corporate work then; and apparently, I don't have to know anything beforehand either??

It might be helpful to just know the terminology of bonds / stocks / derivatives and stuff like that. If you've had any finance background you should be fine. Maybe read "The big short" just to get an idea about the current shadow banking system?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 12, 2011 1:44 am

PKSebben wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
PKSebben wrote:

It might be helpful to just know the terminology of bonds / stocks / derivatives and stuff like that. If you've had any finance background you should be fine. Maybe read "The big short" just to get an idea about the current shadow banking system?

Don't really have a finance background, although I have taken accounting/bankruptcy/secured transactions/corporations/tax, but I swear we didn't learn much about stocks/bonds in those classes. I guess I'll wiki the terminology? Are there any short books on finance that I can read?

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Thu May 12, 2011 1:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:Don't really have a finance background, although I have taken accounting/bankruptcy/secured transactions/corporations/tax, but I swear we didn't learn much about stocks/bonds in those classes. I guess I'll wiki the terminology? Are there any short books on finance that I can read?

shit dude, you have 95% of what you need. Just poke around Investopedia and you're set.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 12, 2011 1:51 am

PKSebben wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Don't really have a finance background, although I have taken accounting/bankruptcy/secured transactions/corporations/tax, but I swear we didn't learn much about stocks/bonds in those classes. I guess I'll wiki the terminology? Are there any short books on finance that I can read?

shit dude, you have 95% of what you need. Just poke around Investopedia and you're set.

I sure hope so. It's kind of sad considering the classes I have taken, but at this point I still think a derivative is something you do in calculus....I guess I'll just surf Investopedia for awhile.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:01 am

I'm just curious, for those of you who have taken secured transactions and payment systems, how did you go about preparing for the exam? Any study tips, or study aids/supplements particularly helpful?

Thanks

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What do summer associates work on in securities?

I spent about 16 hours comparing two documents to make sure that the definitions of the terms included were the same in both.

Corporate/finance work is awesome :roll:

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:45 pm

Renzo wrote:

I spent about 16 hours comparing two documents to make sure that the definitions of the terms included were the same in both.

this is the dream

TTH

Postby TTH » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:17 am

traehekat wrote:
Renzo wrote:

this is the dream

It's so prestigious!

But srsly, it might suck, but it seems like a low-fuss way to rack up billables.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:51 pm

TTH wrote:
traehekat wrote:
Renzo wrote:

this is the dream

It's so prestigious!

But srsly, it might suck, but it seems like a low-fuss way to rack up billables.

You say that now.......

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:47 pm

TTH wrote:
traehekat wrote:
Renzo wrote:

this is the dream

It's so prestigious!

I'd rather be buried neck-deep in doc review. Litigation is the life for me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm just curious, for those of you who have taken secured transactions and payment systems, how did you go about preparing for the exam? Any study tips, or study aids/supplements particularly helpful?

Thanks

At my school secured transactions is NOT securities regulation. Secured transactions deals with the UCC. Securities regulations involves SEC regulations.

Return to “Legal Employment”