Why do people favor NYC firms?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: Why do people favor NYC firms?

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Fri May 13, 2011 9:10 pm

rayiner wrote:I've spent my whole life trying to get away from DC. 7 years in ATL, 3 in Chicago, and somehow am going to end up in the only place worse than DC, NYC. :(

Nobody has a gun to your head. We don't want anyone who doesn't want to be here. :)

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Why do people favor NYC firms?

Postby rayiner » Fri May 13, 2011 11:55 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
rayiner wrote:I've spent my whole life trying to get away from DC. 7 years in ATL, 3 in Chicago, and somehow am going to end up in the only place worse than DC, NYC. :(

Nobody has a gun to your head. We don't want anyone who doesn't want to be here. :)


I'll hold my nose to take advantage of the job opportunities. Probably no different than tons of other people who live in NYC.

User avatar
PKSebben
Posts: 993
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Why do people favor NYC firms?

Postby PKSebben » Fri May 13, 2011 11:55 pm

rayiner wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:
rayiner wrote:I've spent my whole life trying to get away from DC. 7 years in ATL, 3 in Chicago, and somehow am going to end up in the only place worse than DC, NYC. :(

Nobody has a gun to your head. We don't want anyone who doesn't want to be here. :)


I'll hold my nose to take advantage of the job opportunities. Probably no different than tons of other people who live in NYC.


/raises hand

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Why do people favor NYC firms?

Postby rayiner » Sun May 15, 2011 8:22 pm

PKSebben wrote:
rayiner wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:
rayiner wrote:I've spent my whole life trying to get away from DC. 7 years in ATL, 3 in Chicago, and somehow am going to end up in the only place worse than DC, NYC. :(

Nobody has a gun to your head. We don't want anyone who doesn't want to be here. :)


I'll hold my nose to take advantage of the job opportunities. Probably no different than tons of other people who live in NYC.


/raises hand


Did you realize your streets are covered with piles of trash? Is this the cost of preftige?

User avatar
PKSebben
Posts: 993
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Why do people favor NYC firms?

Postby PKSebben » Sun May 15, 2011 8:27 pm

rayiner wrote:Did you realize your streets are covered with piles of trash? Is this the cost of preftige?


Thankfully, those aren't my streets, I live in the burbs. Lolz at people who live in MFH though. I don't go to the Met, so fuck it, I'll live out a bit.

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: Why do people favor NYC firms?

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Mon May 16, 2011 1:46 pm

rayiner wrote:Did you realize your streets are covered with piles of trash? Is this the cost of preftige?

Did you realize that your most famous buildings are filled with men and women who are no better than piles of trash?

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Why do people favor NYC firms?

Postby rayiner » Mon May 16, 2011 5:23 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
rayiner wrote:Did you realize your streets are covered with piles of trash? Is this the cost of preftige?

Did you realize that your most famous buildings are filled with men and women who are no better than piles of trash?


And midtown and financial district are filled with productive members of society?

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: Why do people favor NYC firms?

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Mon May 16, 2011 5:39 pm

rayiner wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:
rayiner wrote:Did you realize your streets are covered with piles of trash? Is this the cost of preftige?

Did you realize that your most famous buildings are filled with men and women who are no better than piles of trash?


And midtown and financial district are filled with productive members of society?

Touche, but at least those piles of trash make some money. Your piles of trash only know how to spend money like a teenager with his/her first credit card.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Why do people favor NYC firms?

Postby rayiner » Mon May 16, 2011 6:51 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
rayiner wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:
rayiner wrote:Did you realize your streets are covered with piles of trash? Is this the cost of preftige?

Did you realize that your most famous buildings are filled with men and women who are no better than piles of trash?


And midtown and financial district are filled with productive members of society?

Touche, but at least those piles of trash make some money. Your piles of trash only know how to spend money like a teenager with his/her first credit card.


Nobody in NYC "makes" money. They take a cut of the money legitimately productive people make, in exchange for moving it around.

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: Why do people favor NYC firms?

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Mon May 16, 2011 6:56 pm

rayiner wrote:Nobody in NYC "makes" money. They take a cut of the money legitimately productive people make, in exchange for moving it around.

You mad bro?

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Why do people favor NYC firms?

Postby rayiner » Mon May 16, 2011 7:04 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
rayiner wrote:Nobody in NYC "makes" money. They take a cut of the money legitimately productive people make, in exchange for moving it around.

You mad bro?


What a dumb retort.

Of course I'm not mad. I signed up to do bitch work for them in exchange for some of the peanut shells. That doesn't make them any less shitty than the politicians in DC.

I can't believe I'm having this argument. It's literally out of South Park: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douche_and_Turd

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: Why do people favor NYC firms?

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Mon May 16, 2011 7:34 pm

rayiner wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:
rayiner wrote:Nobody in NYC "makes" money. They take a cut of the money legitimately productive people make, in exchange for moving it around.

You mad bro?


What a dumb retort.

Of course I'm not mad. I signed up to do bitch work for them in exchange for some of the peanut shells. That doesn't make them any less shitty than the politicians in DC.

I can't believe I'm having this argument. It's literally out of South Park: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douche_and_Turd

Edit: original response wasn't worth it.
Last edited by MrPapagiorgio on Mon May 16, 2011 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: Why do people favor NYC firms?

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Mon May 16, 2011 7:38 pm

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:
rayiner wrote:Nobody in NYC "makes" money. They take a cut of the money legitimately productive people make, in exchange for moving it around.

You mad bro?

Horrible post. Not only is it not funny, it fails even at what it was meant to be -- an invocation of a similarly-worded refrain from another law school site. Moreover, it seems to be a prime candidate for a temp-ban per the rule set forth here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=132905 ("Unconstructive, asinine replies such as 'killself,' even if meant in jest, are low-content, forum-clogging crap and will get you banned.").

My bad. I had not read that thread, and was unaware that mods were finally cracking down on stupid posts. Hell, worse posts than "you mad bro" are still littering this forum, so I did not realize something was finally said about them. Ignorance doesn't justify it, but still.

Polycarp
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:28 pm

Re: Why do people favor NYC firms?

Postby Polycarp » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:12 am

I have to say that the negative stereotypes exhibited here about New York are surprising, to say the least, considering that this isn't some random teenage forum. Also that view is more towards 10-15m. Five million gets you a really nice studio, but not in that building.

Much better views, however, such as those overlooking skyscraper filled artificial canyons, are significantly cheaper. You can look at trees anywhere in the world, but the diverse and imposing architecture of the City is unique.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Why do people favor NYC firms?

Postby rayiner » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:23 am

Polycarp wrote:I have to say that the negative stereotypes exhibited here about New York are surprising, to say the least, considering that this isn't some random teenage forum. Also that view is more towards 10-15m. Five million gets you a really nice studio, but not in that building.

Much better views, however, such as those overlooking skyscraper filled artificial canyons, are significantly cheaper. You can look at trees anywhere in the world, but the diverse and imposing architecture of the City is unique.


I feel like random teenagers would be much more at home in most of lower Manhattan than grownups...

And skyscraper-filled canyons are hardly unique to NYC. Chicago has fewer skyscrapers, obviously since it's a smaller city, and in the late 1800s it was Chicago that was home to the first American skyscraper construction. Given the uniformly wide streets, Chicago's skyscrapers tend to integrate better with the sidewalks below, and the presence of the lake makes for some spectacular views that I'd take over a park view any day of the week.

Best of all, you can actually afford places with gorgeous views in Chicago...

User avatar
FantasticMrFox
Posts: 592
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: Why do people favor NYC firms?

Postby FantasticMrFox » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:30 am

My nose dies whenever I take the subway during the summer
I prefer DC's metro in terms of cleanliness and architectural design

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Why do people favor NYC firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:02 am

PKSebben wrote:
2LLLL wrote:I was an NYC hater until I tried my hand at DC BigLaw during 2010 OCI.... Never have I been through a more humbling experience....


I got crushed at DC biglaw in OCI. I feel like I could have been born inside the lincoln memorial and I wouldn't have enough "ties." Also they said I was a stupid, ugly, asshole. Is that common at callbacks?



DC has it's thorns too. NYC may have the most lawyers in America, but DC has the most lawyers per person in America, so it's just a different culture.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Why do people favor NYC firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:11 am

PKSebben wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:DC sounds great and all, but I would kill myself if I had to hear people calling trains the "metro"


facist fucking train won't let me eat ice cream on it. Fuck you, DC.


And that's why the trains in DC don't have rats the size of labradors and you can sit on the seats in them without wondering whose leftover lunch you're sitting in...

transferguy
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:19 pm

Re: Why do people favor NYC firms?

Postby transferguy » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:51 am

PKSebben wrote:
rayiner wrote:Did you realize your streets are covered with piles of trash? Is this the cost of preftige?


Thankfully, those aren't my streets, I live in the burbs. Lolz at people who live in MFH though. I don't go to the Met, so fuck it, I'll live out a bit.


Can you give a list of credited burbs to live in? I'm going to be working in NYC in the fall and I absolutely hate all of the boroughs and am totally seeking a suburb if I can find a decent one with a reasonable commute.

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: Why do people favor NYC firms?

Postby quakeroats » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:09 am

rayiner wrote:
Polycarp wrote:I have to say that the negative stereotypes exhibited here about New York are surprising, to say the least, considering that this isn't some random teenage forum. Also that view is more towards 10-15m. Five million gets you a really nice studio, but not in that building.

Much better views, however, such as those overlooking skyscraper filled artificial canyons, are significantly cheaper. You can look at trees anywhere in the world, but the diverse and imposing architecture of the City is unique.


I feel like random teenagers would be much more at home in most of lower Manhattan than grownups...

And skyscraper-filled canyons are hardly unique to NYC. Chicago has fewer skyscrapers, obviously since it's a smaller city, and in the late 1800s it was Chicago that was home to the first American skyscraper construction. Given the uniformly wide streets, Chicago's skyscrapers tend to integrate better with the sidewalks below, and the presence of the lake makes for some spectacular views that I'd take over a park view any day of the week.

Best of all, you can actually afford places with gorgeous views in Chicago...


Those gorgeous lake views won't keep you warm December-February.

User avatar
Mike12188
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:07 am

Re: Why do people favor NYC firms?

Postby Mike12188 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:12 am

FantasticMrFox wrote:My nose dies whenever I take the subway during the summer
I prefer DC's metro in terms of cleanliness and architectural design


DC definitely had the cleaner metro but why is it so fucking dark down there? Creepy as fuck. Plus I've never had to wait longer than 5-10 mins on a weekend in NYC but waited 25-30 minutes for the red line out of union station on a Saturday.

Polycarp
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:28 pm

Re: Why do people favor NYC firms?

Postby Polycarp » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:16 am

rayiner wrote:
Polycarp wrote:I have to say that the negative stereotypes exhibited here about New York are surprising, to say the least, considering that this isn't some random teenage forum. Also that view is more towards 10-15m. Five million gets you a really nice studio, but not in that building.

Much better views, however, such as those overlooking skyscraper filled artificial canyons, are significantly cheaper. You can look at trees anywhere in the world, but the diverse and imposing architecture of the City is unique.


I feel like random teenagers would be much more at home in most of lower Manhattan than grownups...

And skyscraper-filled canyons are hardly unique to NYC. Chicago has fewer skyscrapers, obviously since it's a smaller city, and in the late 1800s it was Chicago that was home to the first American skyscraper construction. Given the uniformly wide streets, Chicago's skyscrapers tend to integrate better with the sidewalks below, and the presence of the lake makes for some spectacular views that I'd take over a park view any day of the week.

Best of all, you can actually afford places with gorgeous views in Chicago...


I meant the immaturity of the comments. These stereotypes seem to be coming off a cartoon rather than reality. This isn't 1980. New York is a clean, well maintained, completely safe city. Rude people? Give me a break, people are the same everywhere.

Yes, Chicago also has some spectacular examples of turn of the century architecture. However, the diversity of imposing architecture present in NY is unmatched worldwide. Some, on the other hand, prefer consistency of style over diversity, then Chicago is more appealing.

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: Why do people favor NYC firms?

Postby Big Shrimpin » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:46 am

Polycarp wrote:New York is a clean, well maintained . . . city.



ROFLCOPTER. Dude, much of lower-Manhattan/midtown smells like hot fucking trash at low tide. Also, the LES/Chinatown is a human-filled sewer.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Why do people favor NYC firms?

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:47 am

Polycarp wrote:
rayiner wrote:
Polycarp wrote:I have to say that the negative stereotypes exhibited here about New York are surprising, to say the least, considering that this isn't some random teenage forum. Also that view is more towards 10-15m. Five million gets you a really nice studio, but not in that building.

Much better views, however, such as those overlooking skyscraper filled artificial canyons, are significantly cheaper. You can look at trees anywhere in the world, but the diverse and imposing architecture of the City is unique.

I feel like random teenagers would be much more at home in most of lower Manhattan than grownups...

And skyscraper-filled canyons are hardly unique to NYC. Chicago has fewer skyscrapers, obviously since it's a smaller city, and in the late 1800s it was Chicago that was home to the first American skyscraper construction. Given the uniformly wide streets, Chicago's skyscrapers tend to integrate better with the sidewalks below, and the presence of the lake makes for some spectacular views that I'd take over a park view any day of the week.
Best of all, you can actually afford places with gorgeous views in Chicago...


I meant the immaturity of the comments. These stereotypes seem to be coming off a cartoon rather than reality. This isn't 1980. New York is a clean, well maintained, completely safe city. Rude people? Give me a break, people are the same everywhere.
Yes, Chicago also has some spectacular examples of turn of the century architecture. However, the diversity of imposing architecture present in NY is unmatched worldwide. Some, on the other hand, prefer consistency of style over diversity, then Chicago is more appealing.


immature? Because people are saying the things they saw in NYC? The only immaturity I see is someone who clearly has never left NYC. No, nyc is not clean compared to other cities. No, people are not the same everywhere. No, much of New York is not safe compared to other places. Yes, NYC has absurd cost of living. If you can't accept these facts you are either ignorant or just a blind homer.

User avatar
sanetruth
Posts: 358
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:26 pm

Re: Why do people favor NYC firms?

Postby sanetruth » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:55 am

transferguy wrote: Can you give a list of credited burbs to live in? I'm going to be working in NYC in the fall and I absolutely hate all of the boroughs and am totally seeking a suburb if I can find a decent one with a reasonable commute.

So you're not from new york, but you've had enough time to completely explore all the boroughs enough to decide you hate 100% of the city? Despite the fact that even most born-and-bred new yorkers haven't had the time to do this?

I don't even see how this is possible because there are parts of Brooklyn alone that would make you think you're in the suburbs.

Not to mention others that are just gorgeous

Just saying. Do a little more research before you judge all 5 boroughs of the largest city in the US in half a sentence.

And just for the record, the only real suburb that would offer you a 'reasonable' commute would be Hoboken. But do you really want to live in Jersey?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.